ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant dead....

I saw the video my daughter sent me. It whirled straight down sideways and circles.
Looking at an updated photo it does look like it autorotated down. Such a high profile crash, I'm sure we'll find out more in time as the investigation findings come in.

Saw that this morning. Here's the rub- the rumor is that special VFR permission has been issued for years out of that area because the folks flying are usually super rich, and super famous, and the strict adhesion to the rules had become "lax" because the rich and famous were leaning on the powers that be to make exceptions for them because, well, they were rich and famous and couldn't be bothered to sit in traffic like the rest of us pleebs. So expect an investigation into this and expect to see a culture of "well they are rich and their pilots are good so we just started rubberstamping everything" for the rich folks so they wouldn't piss and moan at us. There will be some heads that roll over this.

Saw that this morning. Here's the rub- the rumor is that special VFR permission has been issued for years out of that area because the folks flying are usually super rich, and super famous, and the strict adhesion to the rules had become "lax" because the rich and famous were leaning on the powers that be to make exceptions for them because, well, they were rich and famous and couldn't be bothered to sit in traffic like the rest of us pleebs. So expect an investigation into this and expect to see a culture of "well they are rich and their pilots are good so we just started rubberstamping everything" for the rich folks so they wouldn't piss and moan at us. There will be some heads that roll over this.

Yeah that’s what I figured as well. Reminds me of the whole Aaliyah luggage fiasco that caused her death. These pilots need to say f you I’m not dying for you or any money.

Yeah that’s what I figured as well. Reminds me of the whole Aaliyah luggage fiasco that caused her death. These pilots need to say f you I’m not dying for you or any money.
Ya but it ain't the pilots--- usually. Pilots have skin in the game. You go down, they go down. And overloading any bird with too much weight is just stupid. Now I get it-- you've got a long enough runway and a headwind and you can get most airplanes that are over weight off the ground. But not gross overload. Thrust to weight. It all comes down to that. But in a helo, some of those dudes are a bit crazy. And flying in limited visibility over terrain you've been flying for years is a welcome break from the norm to any cocky pilot. It's a challenge to them. Gets the blood pumping. But in my opinion, the best helo pilots in the world fly for the 160th SOAR and the coast guard. Don't knock the coast guard. Dudes can fly. But even pilots that are that highly trained crash from time to time.

Reactions: freeper
A lot of times its human error, helios are not up to par yet and still have a long way to go. They were trying to put air bags in the cabin in the newer helios. Until someone can come up with a perfect helio we will continue on seeing problems like this.

Nobody else was flying because the weather didn't meet minimum conditions. Here's what was released so far.

"When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 184 mph and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute, the data showed."

Crash site is around 1400' elevation. Sounding like a handful of small bad decisions added up to a tragic event. Hard to tell big $$ no.

trying to put air bags in the cabin in the newer helios.
You've got to be joking right? I know we all did the egg drop thing in highschool but that's ridiculous.

It would make more sense to have the cabin able to jettison then deploy a rescue chute similar to astronauts return capsule. Can't skydive out of a falling helo due to the giant food processor above.

You've got to be joking right? I know we all did the egg drop thing in highschool but that's ridiculous.

It would make more sense to have the cabin able to jettison then deploy a rescue chute similar to astronauts return capsule. Can't skydive out of a falling helo due to the giant food processor above.
What's protocol? Lie down flat on your back and disperse your weight and hope the skids/gear take the brunt of the force and you catch the secondary jolt? Bail out and away as you get below 30 feet, assuming you're not lawn darting? Over water I'm sure would be no problem as you dudes jumped from WAY up into water many times.

What's the trick fresh? It can't be "bend over and kiss your ass goodbye..." .

Reactions: StrangerHorn
What's protocol? Lie down flat on your back and disperse your weight and hope the skids/gear take the brunt of the force and you catch the secondary jolt? Bail out and away as you get below 30 feet, assuming you're not lawn darting? Over water I'm sure would be no problem as you dudes jumped from WAY up into water many times.

I dont know, at 184 mph there can’t be many good options for surviving that impact I wouldn’t think. I have a feeling the impact wasn’t as bad as the sheer terror they experienced before impact if they had any notice at all? Hopefully they didnt

Hope your flightsuit insert is the most skilled and the luckiest sumbitch aboard.

Or

Invoke Carrie Underwoods "Jesus Take the Wheel."

Everyone thinks they’d do something different but when sh$t hits the fan you’re most likely like everyone else. Scared out of your mind!

Reactions: DrinkToIt
Flew in a helicopter in Kauai and it will be the last for me. Don’t trust it and now in less than a year two crashes that I know about. No thx.
This may not be the time, but flying is just AWFUL for the environment. I try to almost never do it. Helped my 80YO+ parents get to a funeral a couple years ago. The wife's going to fly to Pennsylvania soon. And flying by helicopter, to get all over town? That's foolish in a couple ways, at least. Sorry, Kobe, but it really was. And you took your daughter and a Mambas teammate and both her parents with you.

This may not be the time, but flying is just AWFUL for the environment. I try to almost never do it. Helped my 80YO+ parents get to a funeral a couple years ago. The wife's going to fly to Pennsylvania soon. And flying by helicopter, to get all over town? That's foolish in a couple ways, at least. Sorry, Kobe, but it really was. And you took your daughter and a Mambas teammate and both her parents with you.
Damn

Tell me how you really feel?

Pro Tip: This doesn't work well with RPGs , from 1st hand knowledge

Damn

Tell me how you really feel?
As parents, our main jobs are to
  • protect
  • provide for
  • prepare to flourish
  • set an example
  • express our love in an intimate but safe (non-sexual) way that they understand and know, deep down
I'd love to be even close to Kobe at providing for, and maybe at "helping my kids flourish." He had resources that dwarf those I even aspired to! But I think most of us believe that we're setting a good example -- if we didn't, we'd have lived otherwise. One person's "protect" is another person's enabling & setting a bad example. In the world we live in now, with the industrial and post-industrial ages slowly boiling the climate in ways that we don't even notice, we have to consider our example in terms of protecting our environment.

Recently, I learned that a food I love is harming this world. Almond milk (non-organic). The pesticides on almonds are just destroying bees. So I learned my lesson, and I'm not going to drink any more non-organic almond milk. But in that regard, I set a bad example for my kids.

That may not jive with everyone's politics. You'd rather live bold, and who cares about the consequences. Or you find a way to ignore the truth, and claim it's a lie, just so you can live big and screw the 3rd world and even 1st world in the not too distant future. But that's not how I roll. It's not how any of us should roll.

Even NBA superstars.

....a food I love...… Almond milk

giphy.gif

• protect
  • provide for
  • prepare to flourish
  • set an example
  • express our love in an intimate but safe (non-sexual) way that they understand and know, deep down
I'd love to be even close to Kobe at providing for, and maybe at "helping my kids flourish." He had resources that dwarf those I even aspired to! But I think most of us believe that we're setting a good example -- if we didn't, we'd have lived otherwise. One person's "protect" is another person's enabling & setting a bad example. In the world we live in now, with the industrial and post-industrial ages slowly boiling the climate in ways that we don't even notice, we have to consider our example in terms of protecting our environment.

Recently, I learned that a food I love is harming this world. Almond milk (non-organic). The pesticides on almonds are just destroying bees. So I learned my lesson, and I'm not going to drink any more non-organic almond milk. But in that regard, I set a bad example for my kids.

That may not jive with everyone's politics. You'd rather live bold, and who cares about the consequences. Or you find a way to ignore the truth, and claim it's a lie, just so you can live big and screw the 3rd world and even 1st world in the not too distant future. But that's not how I roll. It's not how any of us should roll.

Even NBA superstars.
I get what you're saying. Leonardo DiCaprio wants me to limit my carbon footprint while he flies around the world in his G650. Hey man, do your part, even if it's a small part, to support what you believe and set an example for your kids. I catch and release. I eat what I kill. I grow my own tomatoes. We all have our little things we do to be a good example.

• protect
  • provide for
  • prepare to flourish
  • set an example

Even NBA superstars.
With all that said I have to say Kobe did things for the community, kids, lower income families etc so although he might not have thought about the environment he did put in work and money into what he thought was right. I fly man no way I’m driving if its far but I do my best to recycle at work and home. I also take the bus to work which a crap load of people don’t do in Houston.

With all that said I have to say Kobe did things for the community, kids, lower income families etc so although he might not have thought about the environment he did put in work and money into what he thought was right. I fly man no way I’m driving if its far but I do my best to recycle at work and home. I also take the bus to work which a crap load of people don’t do in Houston.

Riding the bus in Houston takes some balz.

When its your time! Its your time! Don't matter if ya eatin recycled tomatoes or saving energy or a Vegetarian or doing ya part for poor kids or sitting in the Ukraine with a table full of good looking women or riding the damn bus or giving all ya money and love to ya kids..Boom! one day and thats it, on to Planet X for reassignment...Pro Info:: it doesn't matter if ya can fly or not or have a Terrain avoidance system..Kobe made his mark in life!

giphy.gif

It’s park and ride not city bus. More corporate type folks not the crazies.

Although there are times we get the not so hygienic person riding.
I know a bunch of chevron engineers that do this. I left their downtown office once at the same time and offered them a ride to their parking spot and they said "dude, we'll beat you there by half an hour...". I thought to myself "sure you will" not realizing that the bus gets to ride in a special lane that has zero traffic. Sure enough, one of them called me when they got to their car and it was a good 45 minutes later that I passed where their lot was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT