ADVERTISEMENT

Kyler Murray > Lincoln Riley for 2018

We would have kicked OU's ass last year if it wasn't for Mayfield and that good TE. Aren' they both gone now... I also think the defense under Riley will get worse each year. I predict another close game.

image.ashx

Reactions: RCSooner
We would have kicked OU's ass last year if it wasn't for Mayfield and that good TE. Aren' they both gone now... I also think the defense under Riley will get worse each year. I predict another close game.

Well tighten your britches because the D will progressively get better under him as a direct result of the recruiting. He's getting better defensive commits than Stoops has been getting over the past 10 years. The 2018 class was the best defensive class in at least a decade so things are looking up there. Andrews is gone but Calcaterra is back. He's not quite as big but he has better hands and a little quicker. Will be dangerous in the red zone; he only caught 10 passes last year but three were touchdowns.

Taking the field in the Cotton Bowl on October 6 will be the worst decision young Kyler ever made
Not with Hollywood Brown or Ceedee Lamb to throw to. Both of them averaged over 18 yards a catch vs. you last year.

We would have kicked your ass by a wider margin if not for the refs letting you get away with a few missed calls.

We would have kicked your ass by a wider margin if not for the refs letting you get away with a few missed calls.

You go lucky Sam hit his head on the ground and went potato at the end of the game. You know we were going to score before that happened. OU couldn't stop us at the end.

You go lucky Sam hit his head on the ground and went potato at the end of the game. You know we were going to score before that happened. OU couldn't stop us at the end.

at this time of year this is all we can resort to....and why not?

Seriously, I think the future is looking bright for both UT and OU, and just like the last 100 years or so, we will win some and they will win some.

Damned if I didnt almost forget the most important thing......OU still sucks...

And you know Sam will get clobberknocked by big Kenneth Murray YET AGAIN this October! Too bad he just can’t lay the Boomer Sooner! ;)

Reactions: thaschit
I can’t believe he was allowed to play after seeing his head bounce off the turf. Right in front of them. He might of won if he replaced with Shane. The post about if Oklahoma hadn’t scored. Texas would have won. What do you think Football is about?

Reactions: diadevic
you are correct Mr Moses.....in all of it.

doesnt alter the fact that OU sucks though....

But if he ends up being as good as advertised he will probably get his coach a nice raise. So it all works out.

Ummm, have you seen him play football in college? He wasn’t even decent for A&M who has no quarterbacks.

Lets not get the refs involved. The refs missed at least half a dozen holding calls on your Oline. At critical drive saving moments too like 3rd down. Which they had to do because they'd have given up a lot of sacks otherwise but the refs sometimes just dont see it or dont care.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a 5'8" QB being as productive as the #1 pick in the NFL...I don't care how fast he is.

I dont understand how height has any reflection on production. Mayfield was always called undersized and that had literally zero bearing on his production. if anything Murray's diminutive frame(not his height) would be a bigger deal for absorbing the punishment of getting hit than anything else. And it does matter how fast he is cause a guy that quick isnt easy to catch. If he was slow AND small there's no way he'd even get a scholarship at a Big time program like OU. Anyway his height wasnt a factor when texas offered him

Reactions: westx
I dont understand how height has any reflection on production. Mayfield was always called undersized and that had literally zero bearing on his production. if anything Murray's diminutive frame(not his height) would be a bigger deal for absorbing the punishment of getting hit than anything else. And it does matter how fast he is cause a guy that quick isnt easy to catch. If he was slow AND small there's no way he'd even get a scholarship at a Big time program like OU. Anyway his height wasnt a factor when texas offered him

Good grief guy.

Being a 5-8 QB is a HUGE disadvantage...and it doesn't matter how fast you are.

I would say the same thing if he was following Vince Young here at Texas.

If you're expecting the same production from Murray that you got from Mayfield then best of luck to ya!

Good grief guy.

If you're expecting the same production from Murray that you got from Mayfield then best of luck to ya!

Sure it's a disadvantage. I never said it wasnt. I said it wont affect his production though. I dont think his height will have any bearing on his production and a lot of really knowledgeable football coaches agree thought he was worth a scholarship, including texas.

I dont expect the same production from Murray that Ou got out of Mayfield. Did i type that somewhere?

Good grief guy.

He measured 5'10 and 192lbs for the MLB draft. The guy is all muscle. I think we will see a lot of similarities with the offense this year. The difference will be, when they play breaks down, Mayfield scrambled and threw. Murray will scramble and run.

Sure it's a disadvantage. I never said it wasnt. I said it wont affect his production though. I dont think his height will have any bearing on his production and a lot of really knowledgeable football coaches agree thought he was worth a scholarship, including texas.

I dont expect the same production from Murray that Ou got out of Mayfield. Did i type that somewhere?

I'm gonna go ahead and say he got recruited because he was a two sport star athlete that MIGHT play QB, but that's just me.

Let me ask you this...if you're recruiting a QB, is Kyler Murray the ONLY QB you're going to take in a class? You have that much confidence in a 5-8 HS kid being able to play the same position with top 10 production at the next level?

I stand by what I said. I may be wrong, but I just don't see a 5-8 QB being as productive as Baker Mayfield...the #1 player taken in the draft.

He measured 5'10 and 192lbs for the MLB draft. The guy is all muscle. I think we will see a lot of similarities with the offense this year. The difference will be, when they play breaks down, Mayfield scrambled and threw. Murray will scramble and run.

So put you down as someone that thinks Kyler will have 5000 yards of total offense and 50 TDs?

QBs taken #1 overall and their colleges plus/minus wins the next year...all the way back to Elway in '83

Jared Goff, Cal -3 wins
Jamies Wintson, FSU -3 wins
Andrew Luck, Stanford +1 wins
Cam Newton, Auburn -6 wins
Sam Bradford, Hard to say since he only played 3 games
Matt Stafford, Georgia -2 wins
Jamarcus Russell, LSU +1 wins
Alex Smith, Utah -5 wins
Eli Manning, Ole Miss -6 wins
Carson Palmer, USC +1 wins
David Carr, Fresno St. -2 wins
Mike Vick, Virginia Tech -3 wins
Tim Couch, Kentucky -1 win
Peyton Manning, Tennessee +2 wins
Drew Bledsoe, Washington St -4 wins
Jeff George, Illinois -2 wins
Troy Aikman, UCLA -7 wins
Vinny Testaverde, Miami +1 wins
John Elway, Stanford -4 wins

Maybe Kyler is like Craig Erickson, Tee Martin, Matt Leinart, and Matt Flynn and can get his school over the hump...who knows.

But I'm going to take the under 12 for OU. Vegas set it at 10 and I think that is the perfect number. I think OU wins 10 games this year and probably another Big XII Title. I don't think they'll be in the playoff again.

Since no other QB in the history of college football has done that, I think it's a safe bet he won't be as productive as Baker Mayfield. But I don't know any OU fans who are saying that he will be.

But he doesn't need to be. Our run game will be better than last year, our WR talent is better than last year, and our OLine will be the same level they've been under Bedenbaugh. "Don't turn it over" will be what he hears when he wakes up, 19 times during the day, and then right before he goes to bed.

Our defense....it won't be/can't be worse. Until I see it improve, I can't...I just can't.

Special teams will be better with an actual special teams coach.

The best thing for OU...most of the Big Twelve is down this year as well. I'm an OSU alum, but the Cowboys will be no better than an 8-9 win team. TCU will still have a top notch defense, much like the Longhorns, but not really willing to say either team will be able to rely on their offense. West Virginia arguably has the best QB in the league, but nothing else. The sleeper is Iowa State and how much their HC can get out of that team. They won't sneak up on anyone this year, that's for sure.

Since no other QB in the history of college football has done that, I think it's a safe bet he won't be as productive as Baker Mayfield. But I don't know any OU fans who are saying that he will be.

But he doesn't need to be. Our run game will be better than last year, our WR talent is better than last year, and our OLine will be the same level they've been under Bedenbaugh. "Don't turn it over" will be what he hears when he wakes up, 19 times during the day, and then right before he goes to bed.

Our defense....it won't be/can't be worse. Until I see it improve, I can't...I just can't.

Special teams will be better with an actual special teams coach.

The best thing for OU...most of the Big Twelve is down this year as well. I'm an OSU alum, but the Cowboys will be no better than an 8-9 win team. TCU will still have a top notch defense, much like the Longhorns, but not really willing to say either team will be able to rely on their offense. West Virginia arguably has the best QB in the league, but nothing else. The sleeper is Iowa State and how much their HC can get out of that team. They won't sneak up on anyone this year, that's for sure.

I like Shawn Robinson a lot. I think he's be better than Boykin. I think TCU is going to be legit this year...and in fact I may place a small wager on them to win the Big 12 at 8/1.

So put you down as someone that thinks Kyler will have 5000 yards of total offense and 50 TDs?

I won't be surprised to see, 3000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing. The offense will look the same. The biggest difference will be, Murray running where Baker threw, when the play breaks down.

Reactions: Heisennberg
I won't be surprised to see, 3000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing. The offense will look the same. The biggest difference will be, Murray running where Baker threw, when the play breaks down.

There have been a handful of QBs in the history of college football do that...and you think Kyler Murray is going to in his first year as a starter?

Okay...I'm going to bet against it.

I like Shawn Robinson a lot. I think he's be better than Boykin. I think TCU is going to be legit this year...and in fact I may place a small wager on them to win the Big 12 at 8/1.
I’ll look into him a little harder. Thanks.

Micco...I agree that a lot of smart coaches thought K Murray would be a good college QB and heavily recruited him, including C Strong here at Texas. I DO think it quite ironic that NONE of those same smart coaches thought enough of Baker Mayfield (obviously a hell of a talented QB) to recruit him.

Strange science this football talent evaluation.....

Reactions: Heisennberg
Micco...I agree that a lot of smart coaches thought K Murray would be a good college QB and heavily recruited him, including C Strong here at Texas. I DO think it quite ironic that NONE of those same smart coaches thought enough of Baker Mayfield (obviously a hell of a talented QB) to recruit him.

Strange science this football talent evaluation.....
Wasn’t Murray voted 5A player of the decade in Texas or something like that? It’ll be interesting to see the qb situation at OU unfold going into the season.

There have been a handful of QBs in the history of college football do that...and you think Kyler Murray is going to in his first year as a starter?

Okay...I'm going to bet against it.

He did it as a Sophomore, Junior and Senior in HS

2015 Under Armour All-America Game selection...Kyler Murray is the son of former Texas A&M quarterback Kevin Murray...Named the National Gatorade Player of the Year and the Gatorade Texas Player of the Year as a senior...Named 2014 Offensive Player of the Year by USA TODAY...Was named the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior...Named 2013 first-team All-USA by USA Today...Led his team to back-to-back-to-back state titles in 2012, 2013 and 2014....Finished his career with a 42-0 record

He did it as a Sophomore, Junior and Senior in HS

2015 Under Armour All-America Game selection...Kyler Murray is the son of former Texas A&M quarterback Kevin Murray...Named the National Gatorade Player of the Year and the Gatorade Texas Player of the Year as a senior...Named 2014 Offensive Player of the Year by USA TODAY...Was named the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior...Named 2013 first-team All-USA by USA Today...Led his team to back-to-back-to-back state titles in 2012, 2013 and 2014....Finished his career with a 42-0 record

Oh.

Wasn’t Murray voted 5A player of the decade in Texas or something like that? It’ll be interesting to see the qb situation at OU unfold going into the season.

He was insane in HS. Dudes like him (the way he dominated two sports) come around about once in a decade. He was obviously one hell of a baseball player...speculation that he would've been a 1st rounder out of HS, but teams caught wind that he really wanted to play football and thus passed...or he told teams he wasn't going to sign...either way he was a 1st round possibility out of HS.

I know he is OU fans' boy and you'll defend him till the end of the earth, but I'm just saying I don't see him passing for 3000 and rushing for 1000. If you expect that then you're setting yourself up for real disappointment.

History has shown me to be wrong on more than one occasion, however.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT