ADVERTISEMENT

Kyler Murray > Lincoln Riley for 2018

He was insane in HS. Dudes like him (the way he dominated two sports) come around about once in a decade. He was obviously one hell of a baseball player...speculation that he would've been a 1st rounder out of HS, but teams caught wind that he really wanted to play football and thus passed...or he told teams he wasn't going to sign...either way he was a 1st round possibility out of HS.

I know he is OU fans' boy and you'll defend him till the end of the earth, but I'm just saying I don't see him passing for 3000 and rushing for 1000. If you expect that then you're setting yourself up for real disappointment.

History has shown me to be wrong on more than one occasion, however.
I’m not defending him or his stats because frankly I have only seen him throw the football a handful of times, hence my comment about it’ll be interesting seeing the OU qb situation unfold heading into the season. I may be in the minority but I’m not convinced he’s more consistent throwing the ball than Kendall from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I don’t think he’ll rush for 1,000. I hope he doesn’t. Actually, I hope he doesn’t need to. If he’s rushing for that many yards, 3/4 of those are scramble yards because the play broke down somewhere.

I think he’s good enough to throw for 3,000+ in this conference. His accomplishments though will almost solely be tied to his turnover ratio. A high turnover ratio, and the season for OU will suffer. I think we have enough pieces in place to move the ball and score often. But not if we shoot ourselves in the foot by throwing a bunch of Int’s.

Reactions: Heisennberg
Wonder if he's going to play with reckless abandon with that baseball future in front of him or make some "business decisions".

Twiggy gonna get hurt.

Here's why:

Every time he tucks that ball because his wrs are covered up he'll think to himself "is this first down worth $4 million dollars?".

You can't play football like that....

Reactions: oldhorn2
I'm gonna go ahead and say he got recruited because he was a two sport star athlete that MIGHT play QB, but that's just me.

Let me ask you this...if you're recruiting a QB, is Kyler Murray the ONLY QB you're going to take in a class? You have that much confidence in a 5-8 HS kid being able to play the same position with top 10 production at the next level?

I stand by what I said. I may be wrong, but I just don't see a 5-8 QB being as productive as Baker Mayfield...the #1 player taken in the draft.

He got recruited because he was thought of as a extremely high upside qb with star potential at the next level and was the best if not one of the best athletes in the country. A QB, not a guy who might play QB. He didnt commit to play anything but QB. And he's been measured as 5'10 by the A's. So stuff like talking about you know he's 5'8 because your buddy knows someone who plays on the team is just hearsay.

Um, it depends on a lot of factors like who else is out there, and who i think i have a chance with. I will say this, his height wouldn't be the reason I look to sign two. He makes up for his lack of prototypical QB height with other factors, it's the reason he had a slew of D1 offers from blue blood programs and isn't playing at some juco.

I stand by what I said too, sounds like we are a couple of guys who believe what we type. I never once said he will be as productive as Mayfield. So hopefully you remember me writing that in the post you just quoted.

QBs taken #1 overall and their colleges plus/minus wins the next year...all the way back to Elway in '83

Maybe Kyler is like Craig Erickson, Tee Martin, Matt Leinart, and Matt Flynn and can get his school over the hump...who knows.

But I'm going to take the under 12 for OU. Vegas set it at 10 and I think that is the perfect number. I think OU wins 10 games this year and probably another Big XII Title. I don't think they'll be in the playoff again.

Most of those teams weren't stacked like OU is. Most of those new qbs they had, they hadnt been in the system for 2 years before taking over for the departing QB like Murray has. Murray's backup also has been in the system for 2 years. They likely have the best wr corps, Oline and rb corps in the big 12 too, and that's pretty nice for a QB to have.And if they arent the best, then they are 2nd best. If they have 1 loss, going into the selection day, they'll most likely be in if there arent a slew of other 1 loss teams to compete with.

Twiggy gonna get hurt.

Here's why:

Every time he tucks that ball because his wrs are covered up he'll think to himself "is this first down worth $4 million dollars?".

You can't play football like that....

Sure i can see that being a concern. I imagine at first it will probably be more on his mind but as the season goes on he'll get more comfortable and settled in the role and just play. Nobody can play being constantly worried about injury.

I dont understand how height has any reflection on production. Mayfield was always called undersized and that had literally zero bearing on his production. if anything Murray's diminutive frame(not his height) would be a bigger deal for absorbing the punishment of getting hit than anything else. And it does matter how fast he is cause a guy that quick isnt easy to catch. If he was slow AND small there's no way he'd even get a scholarship at a Big time program like OU. Anyway his height wasnt a factor when texas offered him
I agree with this. The golden goose is Lincoln's offensive mind. He somehow managed to do well at East Carolina. Even Herman did well with an undersized QB that looked like a big helmet with no body running all over the field. Ward won many games for Cougar High.

Reactions: Heisennberg
I like Shawn Robinson a lot. I think he's be better than Boykin. I think TCU is going to be legit this year...and in fact I may place a small wager on them to win the Big 12 at 8/1.
Robinson may turn out great, but I would tap the breaks and give him a couple seasons. Boykin was incredible and was arguably the best player in college football over his last two seasons.

He got recruited because he was thought of as a extremely high upside qb with star potential at the next level and was the best if not one of the best athletes in the country. A QB, not a guy who might play QB. He didnt commit to play anything but QB. And he's been measured as 5'10 by the A's. So stuff like talking about you know he's 5'8 because your buddy knows someone who plays on the team is just hearsay.

Um, it depends on a lot of factors like who else is out there, and who i think i have a chance with. I will say this, his height wouldn't be the reason I look to sign two. He makes up for his lack of prototypical QB height with other factors, it's the reason he had a slew of D1 offers from blue blood programs and isn't playing at some juco.

I stand by what I said too, sounds like we are a couple of guys who believe what we type. I never once said he will be as productive as Mayfield. So hopefully you remember me writing that in the post you just quoted.

Most of those teams weren't stacked like OU is. Most of those new qbs they had, they hadnt been in the system for 2 years before taking over for the departing QB like Murray has. Murray's backup also has been in the system for 2 years. They likely have the best wr corps, Oline and rb corps in the big 12 too, and that's pretty nice for a QB to have.And if they arent the best, then they are 2nd best. If they have 1 loss, going into the selection day, they'll most likely be in if there arent a slew of other 1 loss teams to compete with.

Sure i can see that being a concern. I imagine at first it will probably be more on his mind but as the season goes on he'll get more comfortable and settled in the role and just play. Nobody can play being constantly worried about injury.

Good grief Heisenberg.

1. I made the comment that I don't see a 5-8 QB being as productive as the #1 draft pick in the NFL draft. I also have stated multiple times that I may be wrong.
  2. You said that you don't see how height has any reflection on production
  3. It absolutely has an affect on production. If it didn't then you would see a lot more 5-8 (5-10) QBs
  4. It is a MAJOR issue when you're 5-8 (5-10, whatever) and trying to see over/through 6-6 to 6-8 guys. It is common freaking sense...especially in football. Murray would be an outlier, not the norm.
  5. I also understand that being a 5-10 QB doesn't mean you won't be very successful...look at Todd Reesing. This is also the reason that I stated "I may be wrong about Murray"
  6. Where in the world did I ever say I "have a buddy" and he isn't 5-10? The difference in 5-8 and 5-10 is negligible. The difference in 5-10 and 6-1 as a QB is significant.
  7. You said Murray was recruited because of his high upside at QB due to his superior athletic abilities. But you're arguing against my point that Murray was recruited because of his superior athletic abilities and he MAY play QB one day in college? It is the same thing, said in a different way. I'd recruit him knowing that if it doesn't work out at QB then he is still a superior athlete that can probably catch the ball a little...much like Jerrod Heard and every other DUAL threat QB coming out of HS.
  8. Of course Murray committed to play QB, and QB only. He thinks he is a QB. IF he could handle the deficiencies that lack of height causes for a QB, then his athletic ability would be a major asset. Duh.

If Murray was at Texas I would still be skeptical about his ability to perform at an elite level due to his stature. But like I stated above (Todd Reesing) there are examples of QBs being successful at the D1 college football level even though they're "short." Murray's athletic ability is certainly a feather in his cap and if he wins the job at OU I think he will do very well.

I'll take OU and 10 wins with Kyler Murray having a tougher time at QB than some of y'all think. It's not doom and gloom though, LOL.

Good grief Heisenberg.

1. I made the comment that I don't see a 5-8 QB being as productive as the #1 draft pick in the NFL draft. I also have stated multiple times that I may be wrong.
  2. You said that you don't see how height has any reflection on production
  3. It absolutely has an affect on production. If it didn't then you would see a lot more 5-8 (5-10) QBs
  4. It is a MAJOR issue when you're 5-8 (5-10, whatever) and trying to see over/through 6-6 to 6-8 guys. It is common freaking sense...especially in football. Murray would be an outlier, not the norm.
  5. I also understand that being a 5-10 QB doesn't mean you won't be very successful...look at Todd Reesing. This is also the reason that I stated "I may be wrong about Murray"
  6. Where in the world did I ever say I "have a buddy" and he isn't 5-10? The difference in 5-8 and 5-10 is negligible. The difference in 5-10 and 6-1 as a QB is significant.
  7. You said Murray was recruited because of his high upside at QB due to his superior athletic abilities. But you're arguing against my point that Murray was recruited because of his superior athletic abilities and he MAY play QB one day in college? It is the same thing, said in a different way. I'd recruit him knowing that if it doesn't work out at QB then he is still a superior athlete that can probably catch the ball a little...much like Jerrod Heard and every other DUAL threat QB coming out of HS.
  8. Of course Murray committed to play QB, and QB only. He thinks he is a QB. IF he could handle the deficiencies that lack of height causes for a QB, then his athletic ability would be a major asset. Duh.

If Murray was at Texas I would still be skeptical about his ability to perform at an elite level due to his stature. But like I stated above (Todd Reesing) there are examples of QBs being successful at the D1 college football level even though they're "short." Murray's athletic ability is certainly a feather in his cap and if he wins the job at OU I think he will do very well.

I'll take OU and 10 wins with Kyler Murray having a tougher time at QB than some of y'all think. It's not doom and gloom though, LOL.

1. Way to go out on a limb and predict Murray wont be as productive as one of the best cfb qbs who ever played. If you find someone expecting him to produce at the same level, go ahead and piss in his cereal for me.

2. I remember saying that.

3. Height has no bearing on production. 5'10 isnt the height you look for in a qb, you normally want a taller guy. But you can take a 5'10 guy who never lost a game in high school and who has world class athleticism. I dont think all the HCs who offered him are all stupid. There's a reason why a guy his size isnt playing juco ball and you dont seem to get that.

4. Sure, it's not as easy to see over linemen. And that didnt stop barely over 6' Mayfield or a slew of many other sub 6' qbs from being successful. And incase you havent seen football before, you dont have to stand in the pocket 100% of the time. Even though i have seen plenty of video of him throwing beauties from within the pocket surrounded by mammoth beasts. I"m thinking it's probably not as big of a problem as you think as he's been practicing behind giants for a while now.

5. You just really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY want to be right though. I get the feeling you'd rather lose to Austin Kendall if it meant some texas LBer ended Murray's football career at the RRR

6. Not you necessearily, but just referring to all the hearsay. His measureables at OU and with the A's dispute what people have said. The kind of people who "have buddies" who are close to his high school program and accuse him of barely being 5'8.

7. No, it's not the same thing. He's a qb, always played qb and played very successfully at qb and that was the one and only position he was recruited to play and happens to be the one position he's ever played at this level. So, you saying he's recruited as someone who MAY play qb in college is asinine and incorrect and just an attempt to diminish him as a qb. Behind this Oline and with all the weapons he has at his disposal, he's going to make you glad he's only here for one season

8. Not only does he think he's a qb, but so does everyone else who isnt you apparently. Coaches who know what it takes to be a qb at this level are putting the fate of their team and their jobs in his hands after seeing him in practice for a couple years. Must mean he's pretty good to be out there starting for OU. (assuming he wins the job).

I dont know what kind of time he'll have, tough or not. I know he's looked really really good so far, even if it was just 21 attempts, he completed 18 of them and looked calm and composed and made good decisions. That's all Ou needs out of a him and he'll go above and beyond that

1. Way to go out on a limb and predict Murray wont be as productive as one of the best cfb qbs who ever played. If you find someone expecting him to produce at the same level, go ahead and piss in his cereal for me.

2. I remember saying that.

3. Height has no bearing on production. 5'10 isnt the height you look for in a qb, you normally want a taller guy. But you can take a 5'10 guy who never lost a game in high school and who has world class athleticism. I dont think all the HCs who offered him are all stupid. There's a reason why a guy his size isnt playing juco ball and you dont seem to get that.

4. Sure, it's not as easy to see over linemen. And that didnt stop barely over 6' Mayfield or a slew of many other sub 6' qbs from being successful. And incase you havent seen football before, you dont have to stand in the pocket 100% of the time. Even though i have seen plenty of video of him throwing beauties from within the pocket surrounded by mammoth beasts. I"m thinking it's probably not as big of a problem as you think as he's been practicing behind giants for a while now.

5. You just really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY want to be right though. I get the feeling you'd rather lose to Austin Kendall if it meant some texas LBer ended Murray's football career at the RRR

6. Not you necessearily, but just referring to all the hearsay. His measureables at OU and with the A's dispute what people have said. The kind of people who "have buddies" who are close to his high school program and accuse him of barely being 5'8.

7. No, it's not the same thing. He's a qb, always played qb and played very successfully at qb and that was the one and only position he was recruited to play and happens to be the one position he's ever played at this level. So, you saying he's recruited as someone who MAY play qb in college is asinine and incorrect and just an attempt to diminish him as a qb. Behind this Oline and with all the weapons he has at his disposal, he's going to make you glad he's only here for one season

8. Not only does he think he's a qb, but so does everyone else who isnt you apparently. Coaches who know what it takes to be a qb at this level are putting the fate of their team and their jobs in his hands after seeing him in practice for a couple years. Must mean he's pretty good to be out there starting for OU. (assuming he wins the job).

I dont know what kind of time he'll have, tough or not. I know he's looked really really good so far, even if it was just 21 attempts, he completed 18 of them and looked calm and composed and made good decisions. That's all Ou needs out of a him and he'll go above and beyond that

Heisenberg...

1. Go back and reread the thread and you'll understand why I said what I said about Murray and the production. Then maybe you'll understand why I made that comment.

2. Cool

3. You keep bringing up this JUCO stuff. Nobody said anything about JUCO fella. JUCO was never an option for him. I just find it puzzling that you don't think lack of height has bearing on QB production. It is common sense Heisenberg. It it didn't have an affect then there would be more sub 6' QBs at the D1 level.

4. Does he wear a Red jersey or nah? You acting like you have some superior football knowledge is pretty bush Heisenberg. I'm really trying to have a legitimate conversation with a sooner...it doesn't happen much with your bunch, but I'm giving it a shot.

5. Yeah, that isn't the case at all. On this board and the OU board I have always shown respect to the football players and coaches from OU. For you to say this shit is pretty weak.

6. If he is 5-10, he's 5-10. I don't give a rip. I don't know him, anyone from Allen or anyone that knows him.

7. Man, of course he was recruited to play QB. He was one of the best in Texas HS football all-time. However, lots of DUAL threat QBs end up moving to other positions and someone with his athleticism certainly has a nice back up plan. You're taking what I'm saying way too personal. It's not that deep.

8. When did I say I didn't think he is a QB? Or even a good to very good QB? I said he will lead OU to 10 wins and possible Big 12 title. What I've disagreed with is that OU's offense won't miss a step with him at QB and that he will throw for 3000 and run for 1000. I mean, is it really that big of a slap in the face to you that I would disgree with those statements? Really?

Heisenberg...

1. Go back and reread the thread and you'll understand why I said what I said about Murray and the production. Then maybe you'll understand why I made that comment.

2. Cool

3. You keep bringing up this JUCO stuff. Nobody said anything about JUCO fella. JUCO was never an option for him. I just find it puzzling that you don't think lack of height has bearing on QB production. It is common sense Heisenberg. It it didn't have an affect then there would be more sub 6' QBs at the D1 level.

4. Does he wear a Red jersey or nah? You acting like you have some superior football knowledge is pretty bush Heisenberg. I'm really trying to have a legitimate conversation with a sooner...it doesn't happen much with your bunch, but I'm giving it a shot.

5. Yeah, that isn't the case at all. On this board and the OU board I have always shown respect to the football players and coaches from OU. For you to say this shit is pretty weak.

6. If he is 5-10, he's 5-10. I don't give a rip. I don't know him, anyone from Allen or anyone that knows him.

7. Man, of course he was recruited to play QB. He was one of the best in Texas HS football all-time. However, lots of DUAL threat QBs end up moving to other positions and someone with his athleticism certainly has a nice back up plan. You're taking what I'm saying way too personal. It's not that deep.

8. When did I say I didn't think he is a QB? Or even a good to very good QB? I said he will lead OU to 10 wins and possible Big 12 title. What I've disagreed with is that OU's offense won't miss a step with him at QB and that he will throw for 3000 and run for 1000. I mean, is it really that big of a slap in the face to you that I would disgree with those statements? Really?

1. sure you had your reasons, but it didnt have anything to do with anything I said. So you were talking to someone else.

3. I know you didnt say anything about juco. My point is juco ranks are chock full of small quick guys who are good qbs but not big enough to play at this level. So despite his stature nearly every major program in the country wanted him. so your opinion is clashing with the opinion of men who get paid millions of dollars to evaluate talent.

You cant prove height has any bearing on production. Height doesnt affect accuracy, arm strength, decision making. or what abilities he has when protection breaks down. Doesn't give him magic powers that a 5'10 qb doesnt have. It gives him an advantage in seeing over the line, which is something that hasnt been a big problem for many qbs under 6'. Just because there arent many you can think of doesnt mean they cant play. It usually means a short guy who is playing at this level is pretty damn exceptional since that's not what you usually look for so he's making up for it somehow. His height sure didnt affect his pretty impressive production in 2017.

4. I'm acting like he's been playing behind big linemen for a long time. You act like he's gonna trot out there in september behind giant men for the first time in his life. Go watch some video and tell me his height affected him much last year.

5. Wrong, you obviously want him to fail. That's exactly how you feel, you'd love nothing more than to see him fail and be right. I get it, he's played for your two most hated enemies and you have no reason to look at his upside. You cant even acknowledge how much better he looked last year than he did as a freshman. All you see is downside. Because you are pulling for him to fail. I wouldnt expect anything less from a texas fan.

7. Not taking it personal, you are just trying to paint a narrative that does not exist. Sure some guys play other positions, and some guys dont. It was never anything anyone talked about with him, but you bring it up anyway. Why? Cause your narrative is he's not gonna be able to be good at this level so youre using hyperbole and possibilities nobody in Norman is considering to try to back it up.

8. You wrote that Murray thinks he's a qb, and i responded, that indeed, of course he's thinks he's a qb. You had just stated something so obvious, i said well, of course. like, duh, ya know?

Ou's offense wont miss a step and that's true. He will not produce like Mayfield did, but you dont need Mayfield like production to produce big in this offense. They have so much returning talent everywhere on that offense that qb is literally the least experienced position on the O and he's been in the system for a 3rd season. All he has to manage and refrain from mistakes, 'cause everyone else will do their job.
No not a slap in the face, i never once ever suggested for a second that he would produce those numbers. So if you thought that, then what a weirdo!

Heisenberg,

I'm now convinced that you refuse to see my point because I'm a Texas fan.

The entire 1st page was dedicated to how OU's offense will not skip a beat because of all the amazing weapons and Lincoln Riley, etc.

I stated I don't think a 5-8 QB will be as productive as the #1 pick in the draft.

Stay with me here...your original response was you don't see how height has any reflection on production. I took it as you saying that in general terms, not just Kyler specifically. Still with me? I hope so. You then agreed with ME, that height is a disadvantage, so...

I think his lack of height WILL have an affect on his production, you disagree. That is fine. One of us will be wrong. I've been wrong before. I'm assuming you have too...it's not a big deal. And how in the world would I insinuate Kyler wouldn't be "good" at this level but yet pick OU to win 10 games? All I ever disagreed with is that OU will not be in the playoff and part of that reason is the QB. Then I said that he could very well prove me wrong...it's just a prediction. I never used an absolute in this entire thread.

To continue my point, I also agree with you that lack of HT can be overcome with superior athletic abilities. I can point to Vince Young. People said he wouldn't play QB at the D1 level because of his throwing mechanics. And in fact, I think OU recruited him as an ATH that may play QB yes? Can't exactly remember. Anyway, VY was an outlier, just like Murray would be as a 5-10 QB. So I agree with you that deficiencies in the "prototype" can be overcome.

Please show me where I used hyperbole Heisenberg.

You rooting for Sam Ehlinger to be successful Heisenberg? You hope he leads Texas to victory in the Cotton Bowl? Texas to a Big XII title?

Geez let Weevil enjoy his obsession! I guess if he fails OU will have to put in Austin, but height won’t have anything to do with Murray failing.

Geez let Weevil enjoy his obsession! I guess if he fails OU will have to put in Austin, but height won’t have anything to do with Murray failing.

Obsession? I made an innocent comment, which Heisenberg partially agreed with.

Am I not supposed to respond to a 5 paragraph post on my own board Moses?

Anything short of "uh yeah, OU is so great, Murray will win the Heisman and OU will win another National Title" for you guys is apparently obsession, hyperbole, and me just being a "Texas Fan." I get it...

I've been catching copious amounts of flack at work from Aggie regarding Murray. "He sucks", "He's a POS" "He couldn't cut it at Aggie" are just a few. Those guys are bitter he left I guess? Heck they should be happy they got Knight in exchange. Knight put together a pretty decent year for the Aggies.

sigggghhhh..... I know all of ya'll are too damned young to know this, but the Cowboys first QB was Eddie Labaron. He stood in at (hell, surely he was kneeling) a whopping 5'7"....He would have had to look UP at the munchkin. Eddie was a pro QB for 11 years in the League.He started 85 games in those 11 years. Was his lack of height a disadvantage? Hell yes it was, but he was good enough to beat out lots of taller guys.

Two of the best receivers ever in pro ball were relatively slow....Jerry Rice and Michael Irving. They simply "willed" themselves to be better than everyone else. Will Murray be able to "stand tall" and be a top QB in college ball? We simply dont know that yet because he hasnt had the chance to prove it. I also have my doubts about him, but I wont be surprised to see him succeed.

I've been catching copious amounts of flack at work from Aggie regarding Murray. "He sucks", "He's a POS" "He couldn't cut it at Aggie" are just a few. Those guys are bitter he left I guess? Heck they should be happy they got Knight in exchange. Knight put together a pretty decent year for the Aggies.

A&M has had a pretty good run as Last Chance OU. For how much noise they make about the SEC/Big12 it's funny that their starting QB's and RB's are Big 12 3rd string castaways.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I don't doubt his athletic ability. I doubt how committed he will be to the team when he knows he's going to play baseball next year and make millions. A few big hits and I bet he benches himself.

A&M has had a pretty good run as Last Chance OU. For how much noise they make about the SEC/Big12 it's funny that their starting QB's and RB's are Big 12 3rd string castaways.
Yeah they also inherited Keith Ford from OU. If I recall I think Ford was a 5 star out of hs and I thought he was a pretty good back at OU, he just got overshadowed by Perine and Mixon and decided to move on.

Heisenberg,

I'm now convinced that you refuse to see my point because I'm a Texas fan.

The entire 1st page was dedicated to how OU's offense will not skip a beat because of all the amazing weapons and Lincoln Riley, etc.

I stated I don't think a 5-8 QB will be as productive as the #1 pick in the draft.

Stay with me here...your original response was you don't see how height has any reflection on production. I took it as you saying that in general terms, not just Kyler specifically. Still with me? I hope so. You then agreed with ME, that height is a disadvantage, so...

I think his lack of height WILL have an affect on his production, you disagree. That is fine. One of us will be wrong. I've been wrong before. I'm assuming you have too...it's not a big deal. And how in the world would I insinuate Kyler wouldn't be "good" at this level but yet pick OU to win 10 games? All I ever disagreed with is that OU will not be in the playoff and part of that reason is the QB. Then I said that he could very well prove me wrong...it's just a prediction. I never used an absolute in this entire thread.

To continue my point, I also agree with you that lack of HT can be overcome with superior athletic abilities. I can point to Vince Young. People said he wouldn't play QB at the D1 level because of his throwing mechanics. And in fact, I think OU recruited him as an ATH that may play QB yes? Can't exactly remember. Anyway, VY was an outlier, just like Murray would be as a 5-10 QB. So I agree with you that deficiencies in the "prototype" can be overcome.

Please show me where I used hyperbole Heisenberg.

You rooting for Sam Ehlinger to be successful Heisenberg? You hope he leads Texas to victory in the Cotton Bowl? Texas to a Big XII title?

100% completely see your point. I just dont agree. No sir, I dont care what your fanhood is, In my mind I am not arguing with a texas fan, I'm arguing with someone who doesn't think Murray is tall enough to play qb and be productive. That's good enough reason for me, cause in my opinion his height has no bearing on his production or his ability to produce. So I can dispute that without having to resort to hate or get into any sort of OUvsTx talk.

I said height can be a disadvantage, but just because it can be a disadvantage doesnt mean it'll affect production. You can work around disadvantages and still be just as productive. Landry jones was a terrible decision maker when under pressure and got happy feet and wasnt very mobile. They worked around those disadvantages he had and he turned into one of the most productive qbs ever too. So, i really dont see how his height will affect his production, you havent even given me examples of why. Like sure, you pointed out he has 6'7 linemen. Okay, and how does anyone who cant see over a 6'7 lineman manage to do it? Pretty sure Mayfield did it without much problem, I'm not sure being an inch or 2 shorter will be that huge for him to see over the line. Especially if he moves out of the pocket. But sure, it's possible that he's struggling mightily to see over the line in practice, and everyone is just lying about how good he looks.

You were hyperbolic in your insinuation that he was recruited for his athleticism and may be a good qb or may be a qb. When the reality is he was never seen as anything other than a qb who is very athletic. You present it like he's an athlete who can play qb. Which maybe at one point that was the case, but that was not the case while he was being recruited. He is a qb who has superior athleticism. I mean he's never even played a single rep at any other position, not in college at least. not sure if he did in hs.

Not rooting for Ehlinger to be successful, i dont care either way. I'd rather see texas actually put out a team capable of threatening OU for the Big 12 title, and that might have to mean the qb is good this year. So if anything i'd pull for him not to shit the bed, but I dont care either way.

100% completely see your point. I just dont agree. No sir, I dont care what your fanhood is, In my mind I am not arguing with a texas fan, I'm arguing with someone who doesn't think Murray is tall enough to play qb and be productive. That's good enough reason for me, cause in my opinion his height has no bearing on his production or his ability to produce. So I can dispute that without having to resort to hate or get into any sort of OUvsTx talk.

I said height can be a disadvantage, but just because it can be a disadvantage doesnt mean it'll affect production. You can work around disadvantages and still be just as productive. Landry jones was a terrible decision maker when under pressure and got happy feet and wasnt very mobile. They worked around those disadvantages he had and he turned into one of the most productive qbs ever too. So, i really dont see how his height will affect his production, you havent even given me examples of why. Like sure, you pointed out he has 6'7 linemen. Okay, and how does anyone who cant see over a 6'7 lineman manage to do it? Pretty sure Mayfield did it without much problem, I'm not sure being an inch or 2 shorter will be that huge for him to see over the line. Especially if he moves out of the pocket. But sure, it's possible that he's struggling mightily to see over the line in practice, and everyone is just lying about how good he looks.

You were hyperbolic in your insinuation that he was recruited for his athleticism and may be a good qb or may be a qb. When the reality is he was never seen as anything other than a qb who is very athletic. You present it like he's an athlete who can play qb. Which maybe at one point that was the case, but that was not the case while he was being recruited. He is a qb who has superior athleticism. I mean he's never even played a single rep at any other position, not in college at least. not sure if he did in hs.

Not rooting for Ehlinger to be successful, i dont care either way. I'd rather see texas actually put out a team capable of threatening OU for the Big 12 title, and that might have to mean the qb is good this year. So if anything i'd pull for him not to shit the bed, but I dont care either way.

Fair enough Heisenberg.

And just so you know 100% I never said I didn't think Murray was going to be good or that he can't play QB. I don't think he'll lead OU to the playoffs and I don't think he will go for 3000/1000. And yes, some of that has to do with him being 5-10 and the trouble it "COULD" cause. I never once stated that it is an absolute, and in fact gave two examples to the contrary.

Here's to a wonderful season and hopefully Texas can get their shit together and make October even more intense and fun.

Fair enough Heisenberg.

And just so you know 100% I never said I didn't think Murray was going to be good or that he can't play QB. I don't think he'll lead OU to the playoffs and I don't think he will go for 3000/1000. And yes, some of that has to do with him being 5-10 and the trouble it "COULD" cause. I never once stated that it is an absolute, and in fact gave two examples to the contrary.

Here's to a wonderful season and hopefully Texas can get their shit together and make October even more intense and fun.

Well it would be silly to suggest he wont be any good. There's enough film on him by know that he's pretty good. I dont think it matters which QB leads the team, that offense is going to be nasty regardless except Murray has more tools at his disposal and his world class speed brings another dimension to the position that does not exist without him. So he'll be much hard to gameplan for than Kendall. I'm pretty sure your DC would rather see Kendall. I know Kiffin already doesnt want to face Murray. Gonna be fun for us as fans to watch that's for sure!

I expect texas to be better this year, they have to be. The offense is gonna be disappointing again though I think

Murray was good on film in high school. He's proven nothing at the college level. He won't be running around in college like he did in HS and be able to stay healthy. Listing him at 5' 10" is probably generous. Lets see him have some meaningful playing time at the college level before overhyping him. I hope that he does try to run on the Texas defense. I have a feeling that he'll regret that at some point in the game.

Hook'em!

Murray was good on film in high school. He's proven nothing at the college level. He won't be running around in college like he did in HS and be able to stay healthy. Listing him at 5' 10" is probably generous. Lets see him have some meaningful playing time at the college level before overhyping him. I hope that he does try to run on the Texas defense. I have a feeling that he'll regret that at some point in the game.

Hook'em!

No doubt he will have to prove himself. I'd say that though he only attempted 21 passes last year, he did complete 18 of them and looked really good in the time he did have on the field last year. From what I can see, he's vastly improved since his freshman year.

I dont know if 5'10 is generous, but both OU and the A's measure him as 5'10 195. I dont know if they both stand to gain much from embellishing on that but i suppose it doesnt matter in the end. His height isnt gonna be changing so he's stuck with whatever it is. If he can play he can play, his height wont be a huge factor. his frame might be a much bigger factor than his height if it comes down to it. I dont think he'll have to run all that much next year, I bet he wont even have 500 yards rushing. I'd rather let the running backs do much of that, but the threat of Murray running will be huge. Changes how you have to play D to defend that possibility. It'll be fun to see him running against texas, if someone can actually catch him and lay down a hit one of two things happen: he gets up and goes on wiht his day, or he is out of the game and enter Kendall. Either way, win-win for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT