ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley to USC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think it will be worse than this year? I thought you considered yourself an educated football coach/fan? Remind me again how many 5 stars Riley reeled in at ECU? Yeah Riley wasn’t bringing in elite talent until he got to OU. Lebby’s O is already more productive than Riley’s with less talent let’s let him have a couple recruiting classes. And that Venables suffocating defense. How many players from OU’s current roster are following Riley? That speaks volumes to me but I’m sure you’re much more tuned in?
You guys lost 3 of your 4 leading receivers from last seasons team in Wease, Stogner, and Haselwood. You're losing 2 of your offensive lineman to graduation as well. They aren't just going to install a new offense and pick up where they left off. There's going to be a little bit of regression. How much is still TBD.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I thought you previously stated on this board Riley’s offense didn’t suffer a setback this year? Which one is it? Can’t have it both ways I’m seeing cracks in your narrative lol
I guess if you call going from 530 yards per game to 505 and 43 points per game to 39 a game a setback. That's their numbers from 2020 to 2021. By definition that's a little drop off but nothing major. But like I also said you guys had a true freshman starting for 2/3rds of the season. Growing pains are to be expected. Overall the offense was still really good for the season. Statistically a top 15 offense.

You guys lost 3 of your 4 leading receivers from last seasons team in Wease, Stogner, and Haselwood. You're losing 2 of your offensive lineman to graduation as well. They aren't just going to install a new offense and pick up where they left off. There's going to be a little bit of regression. How much is still TBD.
Wease isn’t gone, he entered the portal. He was hurt all year so if he leaves his production won’t be missed, we have 5 or 6 other receivers with a lot of talent. Haselwood is a good receiver but another Riley recruit who hasn’t lived up to 5 star billing. Stogner had a crap year and hasn’t been the same since his injury and staph infection. How many of those players are following Riley? That speaks absolute volumes. I don’t think Williams transfers out either to follow Riley. Teams lose linemen every year. Bedenbaugh told Riley, thanks but no thanks, he’s staying at OU. Bennie Wylie and his soft ass CrossFit program is gone . Schmidt is back. Expect a much tougher team in October next year. Riley was recruiting players to play for Riley for the 22’ class so some of them went with him. Good for them

Wease isn’t gone, he entered the portal. He was hurt all year so if he leaves his production won’t be missed, we have 5 or 6 other receivers with a lot of talent. Haselwood is a good receiver but another Riley recruit who hasn’t lived up to 5 star billing. Stogner had a crap year and hasn’t been the same since his injury and staph infection. How many of those players are following Riley? That speaks absolute volumes. I don’t think Williams transfers out either to follow Riley. Teams lose linemen every year. Bedenbaugh told Riley, thanks but no thanks, he’s staying at OU. Bennie Wylie and his soft ass CrossFit program is gone . Schmidt is back. Expect a much tougher team in October next year. Riley was recruiting players to play for Riley for the 22’ class so some of them went with him. Good for them
I admire your optimism but there's just to many unknowns there to assume this offense is going to pick up where it left off. If it does then I will be the first to come here and admit I was wrong trust me.

MM Lebby’s offense is more productive than Riley’s with far less talent. OU will be fine. No sour grapes here, I’ve been calling for Riley to be held accountable all year. Sure Riley will do well in a weaker conference, his record clearly indicates his offense excels when he can out athlete the other team, the problem comes when a physical team blows his schemes up. He record clearly indicates he was Big 12 good and even that started to slip

Offenses with lesser talent don't do well consistently, lol. There is no magic formula. There is not a coach in the world that can take a sub par group and consistently win with them. It doesn't exist. You have to have talent. You have to have a QB. You have to have OL. You have to have speedsters and/or serious matchup problems.

Riley uses H-backs and TE better than anyone I've seen in a long time. His route combinations are fantastic. The dude can design plays and call an offense with the best of them.

I'm speaking as a Longhorn fan and former coach. I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just saying this from those perspectives.

Offenses with lesser talent don't do well consistently, lol. There is no magic formula. There is not a coach in the world that can take a sub par group and consistently win with them. It doesn't exist. You have to have talent. You have to have a QB. You have to have OL. You have to have speedsters and/or serious matchup problems.

Riley uses H-backs and TE better than anyone I've seen in a long time. His route combinations are fantastic. The dude can design plays and call an offense with the best of them.

I'm speaking as a Longhorn fan and former coach. I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just saying this from those perspectives.
The same was said about the counter Tre until the physical defenses crashed the party and blew the pulling linemen up and in turn started blowing the plays up. Riley said as much that defenses were catching on to his schemes and the onfield results started to show it. Buh bye Riley. Compare Rileys recruiting rankings to Lebby’s to see what each had to work with. Again, Riley wasn’t pulling in top talent at ECU that didn’t happen until he came to OU. Lebby is here now what do you think the chances are that his recruiting is fixing to head in an upward trajectory? Lol

Last edited:
I admire your optimism but there's just to many unknowns there to assume this offense is going to pick up where it left off. If it does then I will be the first to come here and admit I was wrong trust me.
Make no mistake OU fans are expecting it to be better than it was in 2020.

Btw Wease just announced is staying. Looks like Lebby doing work.

With the developments of the last few weeks Sark may of wrestled control of this state away from OU and A&M

I will say again that I fear OU more with Venables than I did with Ryley....

With the developments of the last few weeks Sark may of wrestled control of this state away from OU and A&M
HAHAHA. How about you all concentrate on winning home games against teams like Kansas, playing a full 4 Quarters before running out of gas, and having winning seasons before you start talking about wrestling control away from programs that have been far better than UT over the last decade. I know after last season y’all need optimism from anywhere you can find it but OU will not see as much drop off next year as you all think.

Who needs brakes when you run out of gas?

HAHAHA. How about you all concentrate on winning home games against teams like Kansas, playing a full 4 Quarters before running out of gas, and having winning seasons before you start talking about wrestling control away from programs that have been far better than UT over the last decade. I know after last season y’all need optimism from anywhere you can find it but OU will not see as much drop off next year as you all think.

Who needs brakes when you run out of gas?
How bout I talk about what I want, and you mind your business

I'm the opposite. Venables won't duplicate the success that Riley did. Put me down for that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Riley was slipping. I think the shake up actually worked out better for OU long term than going into the SEC with Riley would’ve. Venables is a better DC than Grinch and Lebby is as good or better than Riley (and much better than Riley with his foot out the door). We’ll see what happens in the cotton bowl.

And it looks like Venables made up a lot of recruiting ground in a week on the job. OU fans are just fine without Riley.

I'm sure it'll improve but for $12mil./year if I'm USC fan I'm not too happy seeing my team ranked 98th on the early recruiting ranking plus not having any OU players follow Riley? I don't know.......

Riley uses H-backs and TE better than anyone I've seen in a long time.

Yes, it's kind of interesting to see the drop-off in production this year after the guy who actually coached the H-backs and tight ends left to go to South Carolina.

And it looks like Venables made up a lot of recruiting ground in a week on the job. OU fans are just fine without Riley.
Two more verbals today to move into the 2022 top ten. The sky is falling at OU.

Last edited:
Looks ok to me. UT usually higher than OU in recruiting rankings. Makes sense given the number of terrific HS players in Texas. But OU usually gets its share. And worked out pretty good the last 20 years.

Y’all are gonna be great. No issues with Venables. OU fans were sad to see him go. And he’s a better HC than Riley. I’m excited for y’all’s next 5 years. 3 nattys coming up!!

No way. Texas has already been awarded the next three nattys with a quarterback who has yet to attempt a pass in college. The only thing missing is the "We're baaaaaaack!" declaration.

OK Weev. Blake got canned in '98. OU hasn't fired any head coach since then. No need to. How about you guys?

Agree Riley was successful. Until this year when something was obviously off. Luckily, he recruited enough talent (CW) to get OU through the year. But D really declined. So if OU can keep CW and with Venables success on D OU should be fine. Doubt our fans will be clamoring OU to fire him next year. Especially since OU starts with Nebraska. And Horns have to play Alabama. Not that it will not make any difference in the RRS. Almost never does.

I'd love to see OU try to compete without players from Texas. They couldn't. What is sickening for Texas fans is to see good players leave the state to go play for that program. Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT