ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we got our DC

I don't mind bringing on a position coach that's an up and comer type. Especially on the side of the ball the HC is strong on.
I'm with you. I read he is also the passing coordinator? That sounds like a Co-OC title. I don't see a resume for anything more than a position coach.

He is 29 years old and Rutgers was shut out 4 times this year.

Last edited:
I'm seeing "passing game coordinator". Maybe there is something besides his awful stint at Rutgers that qualifies him for that position, it just feels a lot like a comfort/loyalty move. My guess is that he'll just be helping install whatever Herman wants, but like I said at the outset, it's just a strange look.

I'm with you. I read he is also the passing coordinator? That sounds like a Co-OC title. I don't see a resume for anything more than a position coach.

He is 29 years old and Rutgers was shut out 4 times this year.
Rutgers is also probably the worst program in D1 that is playing above its ski's in the big 10. So not really sure a lot can be expected.

Just for context, those three teams combined to shut out zero other teams. But they each shut out Rutgers. Anyway I'm laboring the point now. It's a questionable hire looking from the outside. Maybe he'll be great. Maybe not.

You have to work to get shut out four times in one season.
1. Mehringer played QB for Herman at Rice until he was injured.
2. Then, Mehringer was a student assistant for 3 years, helping Herman with the QBs, until he graduated with an undergraduate degree in 2010.
3. Next, Mehringer followed Herman to Iowa State for 2 years as a GA coach (2011-2012).
4. After that, Mehringer followed Herman to Ohio State in 2013 as a GA coach and graduated with a masters degree.
5. 2014 was Mehringer's first year to serve as a fully paid position coach and no longer be a GA coach - at Ohio State.
6. 2015, Mehringer followed Herman to Houston as the WRs coach and recruiting coordinator.
7. 2016, Mehringer served as the OC for Rutgers.
8. 2017, Mehringer will be Texas passing game coordinator (and WR coach?). This will be his 4th season to serve as a college coach (not a student).

Just for context, those three teams combined to shut out zero other teams. But they each shut out Rutgers. Anyway I'm laboring the point now. It's a questionable hire looking from the outside. Maybe he'll be great. Maybe not.
It would be a questionable hire if he was the OC. As the WR coach it's fine.

1. Mehringer played QB for Herman at Rice until he was injured.
2. Then, Mehringer was a student assistant for 3 years, helping Herman with the QBs, until he graduated with an undergraduate degree in 2010.
3. Next, Mehringer followed Herman to Iowa State for 2 years as a GA coach (2011-2012).
4. After that, Mehringer followed Herman to Ohio State in 2013 as a GA coach and graduated with a masters degree.
5. 2014 was Mehringer's first year to serve as a fully paid position coach and no longer be a GA coach - at Ohio State.
6. 2015, Mehringer followed Herman to Houston as the WRs coach and recruiting coordinator.
7. 2016, Mehringer served as the OC for Rutgers.
8. 2017, Mehringer will be Texas passing game coordinator (and WR coach?). This will be his 4th season to serve as a college coach (not a student).

To me it sounds like Rutgers made a bold move to take him as a OC, and it didn't work because he just wasn't ready. Coming back to Herman will give him the opportunity to grow and learn a bit more before he takes on the role again.

To be honest, what 4MN posted makes me feel a lot better about his hire. The fact that he was a recruiting coordinator under Herman tells me he is probably a fantastic recruiter.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Passing coordinator game plans the passing game. He is more than a position coach.
It makes sense that the WR coach would have some input in the passing game. I'm sure that's the way it is on most staffs. Regardless if there is an official title. Doesn't really matter though. Herman is gonna be doing a lot of the offensive play calling.

The dude was way overmatched at Rutgers. You don't need great talent to not look terrible, and RU looked terrible on offense this year. Historic bad, even for Rutgers. Literally, the worse RU season in over 100 years. A bright future but way too inexperienced. And the HC at RU came from the defensive side of the ball, so Drew had no oversight. Terrible play calling.

He'll be fine at Texas, because Herman will be calling the shots on a team with more talent. Anyway, he's a Texas boy. He's coming home.

Last edited:
Dude has been a coach for 2 years and someone made him an OC, talk about feeding meat to a baby. Too much too soon, this guy needed about 2 to 3 more years of seasoning as a position coach before he took on a job like that.

I predict whoever we get as a OC will be there a very short time and likely will get a head job in about 2 to 3 seasons. In three years he might be ready to take on the job of OC, but before then.

So what? Rutger's talent is garbage. How does that disqualify him from being a good position coach (and at a position where the coach's chief job is to be a recruiting rainmaker)? And I'm not saying he is, by the way -- I'm just saying that you don't have nearly enough information to have a useful opinion either way. Just waving your hands and saying "Oh my God, Rutgers!" is not an argument. Pointing out that some prior relationship exists also does not establish that Herman is hiring for "comfort" instead of for quality.

Perhaps when the likely DC, among other things, (1) just destroyed the No. 1 and No. 2 offenses in the country with two- and three-star players; (2) is known for running an innovative defense (in the vein of what Aranda runs) that has had substantial success stifling mobile QBs and uptempo spread attacks; and (3) fields defenses that tackle well, shed blocks well, and take good pursuit angles, the hire is actually a good one. Who should Herman have hired instead?

No doubt if you had been a tOSU fan, you'd have been upset that Meyer plucked some nobody named Tom Herman from little old Iowa State to coordinate his offense.

Maybe the coaches who have helped Herman go 6-0 against top-25 teams over the last two years -- and demolish the likes of FSU, OU, and Louisville -- are actually good coaches. Maybe not, but you don't really have any idea.

I'm not asking for sunshine. I'm just suggesting that wringing your hands despite knowing next to nothing about these coaches is an obnoxious waste of time.

We knew Watson sucked -- he had a long track record of mostly sucking. We knew Bruce Chambers had been the deadest of dead weight on Mack's staff for an eternity. Those two moves alone justified skepticism about the organizational and evaluative framework behind putting together the rest of the staff.

These are not self-evidently parallel situations.
Haha yes God forbid Horn01 be allowed to have an opinion on this free message board. Good grief, perhaps you should flag his post and go around MM and straight to the top like you are known to do to complain. Or you could try getting off your high horse, nobody is impressed with your holier than thou charade.

Haha yes God forbid Horn01 be allowed to have an opinion on this free message board. Good grief, perhaps you should flag his post and go around MM and straight to the top like you are known to do to complain. Or you could try getting off your high horse, nobody is impressed with your holier than thou charade.

Opinions are like assholes, we all have one, and they all stink. So no big deal when two fans have different ones.

In this case, I agree with BBR I don't care that this guy isn't a great OC, he has been a coach for about 2 years, he is 29, and has been on Herman's staff at Houston. Tom trusts him enough to put him in charge of recruiting, that is a huge vote of confidence.

I'm good with giving him a shot as a position coach, I don't care what happened at Rutgers as I see it as being too big a job at this point in his career. For all we know he might be our OC in 3 years, and a head coach 3 years later, and people will be saying now that he is gone Texas' offense is going to suck. Right now at 29 years old he isn't an OC, but he might be a hell of a receiver coach.

Herman is pulling cats in he has worked with or coached. The dude is 29, was coached by Herman at Rice, has state ties and is a 2006 graduate from Mansfield, he has worked with Herman at multiple stops...I'll let the MENSA member makes his calls instead of calling it a Meh-ringer hire.

This guy is not the f*#cking OC.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
My only concern is Herman seems to basically be moving his Houston staff to Austin minus a couple spots. That didn't work so well for Stromg. Let's hope it works better for Herrman.

My only concern is Herman seems to basically be moving his Houston staff to Austin minus a couple spots. That didn't work so well for Stromg. Let's hope it works better for Herrman.
That would be the only parallel, staff move....These boys have Texas ties and did a hell of a job with less at Houston. Not to mention, without an NFL level QB to win football games for them.

Strong only brought over Watson, Bedford, and BJM I believe. But regardless that is pretty much par for the course for most coaching changes. It's only Texas fans that think the new coach just fills his staff from message board who's who lists.

Last edited:
That would be the only parallel, staff move....These boys have Texas ties and did a hell of a job with less at Houston. Not to mention, without an NFL level QB to win football games for them.
Ward Jr isn't an NFL QB. Good maybe even great college player

I think to much gets made of "Texas ties" Strong recruited Texas fine that wasnt even close to the issue.

Strong only brought over Watson, Bedford, and BJM I believe. But regardless that is pretty much par for the course for most coaching changes. It's only Texas' fans that think the new coach just fills his staff from message board who's who lists.
You are right. Lots of times it ends with the deck having to be reshuffled a couple of years in. I would have just preferred some semblance of an assistant search rather than bringing on all his buddies. Ultimately he'll be responsible for his own picks, just like Strong was.

You are right. Lots of times it ends with the deck having to be reshuffled a couple of years in. I would have just preferred some semblance of an assistant search rather than bringing on all his buddies. Ultimately he'll be responsible for his own picks, just like Strong was.
Exactly. He will be held to the same standard as Strong was as well, at least by me. Mehringer is supposed to be an elite recruiter and every staff needs those.....even at Texas....bama......fl st.....oh st.....Yes some schools are easier to recruit to but you still have to get the studs to come to your school.

The Houston staff from what I saw was pretty darn good. I was NEVER impressed with the Louisville staff and I said so from the get go. I am hoping they get the players to play every game like they did against Fl. St., ou, and louisville and not have the hiccups against Memphis etc. Depth was a big issue for them I know that.

Tough crowd. I like the Orlando hire at DC if in fact he really is hired. I also really like the Mehringer hire for WR coach.We need a damned WR coach.He is supposed to be a rising star in that field. Herman says he is one of the brightest young coaches he knows. If you dont like that reference, then how about when Meyer said Mehringer was one of the brightest young coaches he knows.

A guy coming in here that is a certified member of Mensa picked him....a certified member of Mensa picked him knowing full well that his own personal ass is on the line and this crowd ( the alumni) is already pissed....we want/demand results and they had best not be slow in coming.

We had Collin Johnson, Duverney,Armanti Foreman, Lorenzo Joe, Oliver and Heard for that matter out there.....that should have had DC's around the league crapping all night trying to figure out how in hell to control them, not to mention a pretty damned accurate QB.We underplayed our potential by a large margine.....We needed some damned coaching and we might just get it now.

Whine all ya'll want. I expect results and I expect them fast. If this collection of genius' cant provide them, then fire em all and get in a new crowd. Until they prove they are in over their heads, I am all for giving Herman total free reign to do what he thinks he needs to do to fix it.

I will be curious to see what Mehringer does with "skillet hands" Burt. Either teach him to catch the ball or send him home.

It is what it is. Unless the guy you are hiring has a lot of clout and/or experience there isn't a national search for his assistant hires. Aranda had some history with Herman that why his name was plausible not to mention the LSU HC vacancy casting doubt there, but that's about it. It's just our fantasy that we just look at the stat sheet and assume our coach can just cherry pick a staff.

I'm not really worried about the offensive staff Herman is gonna have a huge hand in the offense. The defense staff is what he needs to get right.

Reactions: outhereincali
I think to much gets made of "Texas ties" Strong recruited Texas fine that wasnt even close to the issue.
Nope, the relationships make it easier. Strong had to develop those and while he recruited well, it could have been even better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT