ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we got our DC

I think high school ties are overrated. Saying it could have been better seems like nitpicking considering he never even posted a winning record. He's recruiting was off the charts in that context. It's the University of Texas unless you are a monster jerk the state's high school coaches aren't turning you away. Not to mention there are a billion high schools in Texas as if all the coaches had a unified voice

Thanks to Chuck's style, the new kids are busting their ass to fill the class. He was going to get his ass handed to him in recruiting this year.

Maybe the Rams will go after Shaw so we can have Little. Gonna need some help this year!

Last edited:
Thanks to Chuck's style, the new kids are busting their ass to fill the class. He was going to get his ass handed to him in recruiting this year.

Agree. He built his strategy around getting the last word and selling being a part of the program resurgence. Would have worked great had he won 8 games. At least he didn't burn up a bunch of in home visits so the new staff has some maneuverability.

He makes like 10 million to coach his alma mater, I don't see it happening.
I think he will go to the NFL eventually. Just not sure if this is the job he would want. I'm not sure you were as successful as he was in the NFL get that close to a SB and not go back. He will certainly be picky though.

Yeah not seeing Harbaugh to the Rams. That sounds like some Rams fan fiction.
If Harbaugh took an NFL job this year I would bet it would be Indy. Already has the QB. You could get that roster is good shape pretty quick and the division fairly easy. I don't think he will make the jump this year though.

Who else on the defensive staff has been named?

And why are people so concerned about Jim Harbaugh?

I'm sure Orlando has as good a chance as any of recent tenure. A good measuring stick for opposing coordinators for me has always been to gauge how well they bounce back from a RRS spanking by Papa Stoops. Recent coordinators such as Harsin, Diaz, Gilbert, Watson, Bedford, Strong, etc. didn't fare too well and are now damaged goods. Herman proved to be a good coach at Houston and put it on my Sooners this year so perhaps he can get things going at Texas quickly.

Harsin is damaged goods? Dude was smart enough jump ship early and landed a head coaching job at Arkansas State followed by the head job at Bosie State. His teams have finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st in conference. 31-8 in three years at Boise State 38-12 overall. Was in the running for the Oregon Job.

Gilbert is damaged goods? Took a team with a true freshman QB with a below average to weak arm from 92nd to 19th in total offense and 83rd to 49th in scoring offense.

I think both of those guys should be just fine.

Harsin is damaged goods? Dude was smart enough jump ship early and landed a head coaching job at Arkansas State followed by the head job at Bosie State. His teams have finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st in conference. 31-8 in three years at Boise State 38-12 overall. Was in the running for the Oregon Job.

Gilbert is damaged goods? Took a team with a true freshman QB with a below average to weak arm from 92nd to 19th in total offense and 83rd to 49th in scoring offense.

I think both of those guys should be just fine.
Was anyone in your fan base wanting either of those you mentioned back? As far as your comments on Buechele, were you expecting Joe Montana as a true freshman? He sure didn't look weak armed to me throwing those deep balls. Perhaps his arm got tired as the year went on but I doubt you'll find many calling him weak armed.

Was anyone in your fan base wanting either of those you mentioned back? As far as your comments on Buechele, were you expecting Joe Montana as a true freshman? He sure didn't look weak armed to me throwing those deep balls. Perhaps his arm got tired as the year went on but I doubt you'll find many calling him weak armed.

Go back and read some of the threads. There is stuff on Bucehele's arm. Clob even mentioned it when he went to watch spring and fall practices. Then go back and look at some of the film. I love the kid, love his attitude and work ethic but his arm strength isn't limited.

As far as Harsin and Gilbert yes there are fans who would want those guys back. Harsin more so than Gilbert. I think it was the coaching poll thread. Some people myself included had Harsin as 4 or 5 on the list to replace Strong.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Speed...you are one of my favorite posters and I respect your knowlege, but dont put me as a Harshin supporter. I never saw anything from him that impressed me.

Reactions: swVAHorn
alright, this rutgers-sucks-so-this-coach-sucks line of thinking got old. i have been to the state championship game multiple times, semifinals multiple more times, etc. i have also gone 3-8. i didn't wake up and know how to coach 'em up in the yrs we were playing in december, and i didn't hit my head and forget how to coach in the 3-8 season. there are good coaches at rice. there are bad coaches at alabama. there are. i don't know which ones, but there are. there are bad coaches in the nfl. how they get those jobs and keep those jobs baffles me. but they're there. we had weak coaches when we won the mnc in 05. we are close enough to know who the weak ones were then (no, not greg davis either). point is, don't judge a dude by where he coaches. you really don't know if the position coach is any good. you don't. or even the coordinators. some (harsin maybe?) were kept under thumbs; some inherited talent that didn't match the scheme and they did the best they could with what they had. but you don't know. stop pretending you do.

Harsin was a Peterson protege. Peterson brought him on board as a GA when he was hired on as OC in 01. It was Peterson's offense and I loved the way they operated the power run game out of a billion different formations. When the decision was made to go to more of a pro style power offesne they Mack went with Harsin and while I don't have any insider knowledge there were all kinds of rumors about issues with Harsin and Applewhite friction as Co-OCs. I don't think Harsin was ever able to fully implement his system at Texas so he bolted for the Arky State job. He lucked out when Peterson to the Washington Job. His teams at Boise State average around 39 points a game and around 405 yards a game which is about what they did when he was OC under Peterson and this 3 year absence when he was at Texas and Arky State.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
Speed....I agree that Harsin got a raw deal when he was at Texas and I also heard there was friction between him and Major.I just was very disappointed that the results were way less than I expected

Haha yes God forbid Horn01 be allowed to have an opinion on this free message board. Good grief, perhaps you should flag his post and go around MM and straight to the top like you are known to do to complain. Or you could try getting off your high horse, nobody is impressed with your holier than thou charade.

LOL. Still bitter and braindead.

No one here gives a single runny sh*t what you have to say about anything. Hope that helps.

In this case, I agree with BBR I don't care that this guy isn't a great OC, he has been a coach for about 2 years, he is 29, and has been on Herman's staff at Houston. Tom trusts him enough to put him in charge of recruiting, that is a huge vote of confidence.

Bingo. Mehringer is coming for this reason: despite Rutgers being absolutely putrid, he's a big reason why they have the No. 1 player in NJ committed, as well as the No. 1 OT, No. 1 center, No. 1 QB, and No. 1 WR.

WR and RB coaches need to be recruiting rainmakers above all else, and that's why Mehringer is coming to Texas. He's not the OC.

Strong only brought over Watson, Bedford, and BJM I believe. But regardless that is pretty much par for the course for most coaching changes. It's only Texas' fans that think the new coach just fills his staff from message board who's who lists.

Seriously.

I wonder if Ohio State fans flipped out when Urban Meyer plucked unknown nobody Tom Herman from little old Iowa State to be his first OC.

LOL. Still bitter and braindead.

No one here gives a single runny sh*t what you have to say about anything. Hope that helps.
Just pointing out you're a whiny little crybaby who tries to circumvent the standard protocol in place to try to achieve your desired result. Sorry that didn't work out for you the couple of times you've pulled it. On top of that your holier than thou schtick is beyond old. Hope that helps.

Bingo. Mehringer is coming for this reason: despite Rutgers being absolutely putrid, he's a big reason why they have the No. 1 player in NJ committed, as well as the No. 1 OT, No. 1 center, No. 1 QB, and No. 1 WR.

WR and RB coaches need to be recruiting rainmakers above all else, and that's why Mehringer is coming to Texas. He's not the OC.

You know one thing I would like to add is that in college fb when a coach is fired it doesn't mean he has bad assistants. A lot of times good coaches become casualties and maybe Mehringer is that kind of coach.

And a couple of additional thoughts.

Besides Orlando and Oscar Giles, how many other defensive coaches have been named? I always thought OG was a fine asst I believe he was with us in our nc season.

And I read that when Herman was at Houston he wanted to have a pipeline between the top talent in Harris County and UH. Let's hope he takes that and turns it to UT and Harris County instead of UH.

Speculation that Orlando might be up for the Uconn head job. That would be a bit of a bind for UT

That kind of thing happens when you hire good assistant coaches.We survived losing Chizik. but didnt do so well when Muschamp left....we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT