ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we got our DC

I'm skeptical of this hire for 2 reasons. First, the Big 12 has more potent offenses and Houston struggled at times on defense. Second, is this a comfort hire or is he the best candidate?

Last edited:
Wouldn't matter who gets hired, some will like and some won't on OB !
That is just a given, you never know who will work out until after they coach for a season.
Good luck to him, hope he does a great job at Texas !

Reactions: MadDogKC and westx
That is just a given, you never know who will work out until after they coach for a season.
I wish Coach Orlando the best. The DC hire is the make/break hire for Coach Herman (just like the OC hire was for Coach Strong).

Reactions: MadDogKC
off topic: (its a slow day)

By chance, did you post on Longhornbob's site back in the day..

was thinking you & Simon Honeybone were the same :)

LOL, that is a blast from the past.

I posted on Wheeler's site back in the day. I remember posting on a few others.
Hornsfan, RPongetti's site, and some site named after a street intersection on campus.

All were good fun sites. I loved how Wheeler would take pictures of him standing next to some football player to show how tall they really were. He was like 5'7 and that was supposed to let us know the actual height of said player.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Here is my thought on the DC. Defense is a game of discipline position and angles. An average defense can do those things they can be successful. I've seen schools play really good defense with very average players.

If Herman is a guy that pays strict attention to details, then I think Orlando will be successful as a DC.

What killed us last year, poor angles, poor tackling, and guys not knowing their assignment.

If paying attention to details means fixing those little things I think we will be a very good defense next year. Maybe not top 20 good but somewhere in the top 40 and a top 40 defense with the offense we have should be good for 10 wins.

off topic: (its a slow day)

By chance, did you post on Longhornbob's site back in the day..

was thinking you & Simon Honeybone were the same :)

I was a regular poster on Wheeler's site and hung out at his tailgate on game days. He's a piece of work. Miss that guy.

I do not know much about him but I do know the offenses of the big 12 will eat your lunch if your not prepared to play them,even Patterson of TCU gets ripped in a few games and he is one of the best defense coaches in the country.

Reactions: Bass Elder
I'm very skeptical of comfort hires. I was right from the beginning about Strong's choices (except for Wickline, who I thought would be more successful). Watson was a nightmare and all you had to do was look beyond his years with Bridgewater to see he'd struggled for most of his career.
I don't know much about these assistants that are coming over from Houston, but it seems that not much searching is being done. I'm also curious why Orlando didn't get the HC gig at UH. I really hope these are the best available picks and not just the easy choice.

I'm very skeptical of comfort hires. I was right from the beginning about Strong's choices (except for Wickline, who I thought would be more successful). Watson was a nightmare and all you had to do was look beyond his years with Bridgewater to see he'd struggled for most of his career.
I don't know much about these assistants that are coming over from Houston, but it seems that not much searching is being done. I'm also curious why Orlando didn't get the HC gig at UH. I really hope these are the best available picks and not just the easy choice.
Orlando did not get the Houston HC job because Major is a better fit. Most people actually thought they would give the job to Major and they were right. As far as why would Herman hire him it would probably be that he has been in the coaching ranks for a few decades and has worked with him for the last 2 years and feels he is the best available for now. Herman is a very good offensive coach and I think he can spot a good defensive one...at least I hope so.

The difference with Strong's hire was pretty big.....everyone except Strong knew Watson sucked. He tried to get some Texas connections and picked some he had never worked with and they stunk. Keeping the worst coach on Mack Brown's staff hurt as well.

Orlando did not get the Houston HC job because Major is a better fit. Most people actually thought they would give the job to Major and they were right. As far as why would Herman hire him it would probably be that he has been in the coaching ranks for a few decades and has worked with him for the last 2 years and feels he is the best available for now. Herman is a very good offensive coach and I think he can spot a good defensive one...at least I hope so.

The difference with Strong's hire was pretty big.....everyone except Strong knew Watson sucked. He tried to get some Texas connections and picked some he had never worked with and they stunk. Keeping the worst coach on Mack Brown's staff hurt as well.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Orlando is a bad pick, I just wonder if he was the best choice or just a comfortable choice.
I just read that Herman is bringing on Rutgers' OC as a yet to be determined position coach. That one really has me scratching my head.

I just read that Herman is bringing on Rutgers' OC as a yet to be determined position coach. That one really has me scratching my head.

On what grounds, exactly? You don't know enough at this point to have an opinion worth listening to.

After reading the Houston Chronicle article, I'm onboard with Orlando. Unlike Watson, Orlando hasn't been fired for poor performance at his coordinator position.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
On what grounds? Rutgers is the worst team in the nation in almost every statistical category on offense. He used to work with Herman, and it seems as though he landed a gig at Texas.
You don't have to listen to me, by the way. I'm simply stating my concern that this staff looks like it's going to be composed of mostly comfort hires. I didn't rah rah every choice Strong made for his staff, and I'm not going to pump sunshine for Herman either.
I'm sure there are other people who will tell you why everyone of these guys is a fantastic choice.

Reactions: HornDrummer
I would of rather seen Herman go another route. Hopefully he does well though. The defense certainly improved when Strong took over. Hopefully Orlando can build on that.

On what grounds? Rutgers is the worst team in the nation in almost every statistical category on offense.

So what? Rutger's talent is garbage. How does that disqualify him from being a good position coach (and at a position where the coach's chief job is to be a recruiting rainmaker)? And I'm not saying he is, by the way -- I'm just saying that you don't have nearly enough information to have a useful opinion either way. Just waving your hands and saying "Oh my God, Rutgers!" is not an argument. Pointing out that some prior relationship exists also does not establish that Herman is hiring for "comfort" instead of for quality.

Perhaps when the likely DC, among other things, (1) just destroyed the No. 1 and No. 2 offenses in the country with two- and three-star players; (2) is known for running an innovative defense (in the vein of what Aranda runs) that has had substantial success stifling mobile QBs and uptempo spread attacks; and (3) fields defenses that tackle well, shed blocks well, and take good pursuit angles, the hire is actually a good one. Who should Herman have hired instead?

No doubt if you had been a tOSU fan, you'd have been upset that Meyer plucked some nobody named Tom Herman from little old Iowa State to coordinate his offense.

Maybe the coaches who have helped Herman go 6-0 against top-25 teams over the last two years -- and demolish the likes of FSU, OU, and Louisville -- are actually good coaches. Maybe not, but you don't really have any idea.

I didn't rah rah every choice Strong made for his staff, and I'm not going to pump sunshine for Herman either. I'm sure there are other people who will tell you why everyone of these guys is a fantastic choice.

I'm not asking for sunshine. I'm just suggesting that wringing your hands despite knowing next to nothing about these coaches is an obnoxious waste of time.

We knew Watson sucked -- he had a long track record of mostly sucking. We knew Bruce Chambers had been the deadest of dead weight on Mack's staff for an eternity. Those two moves alone justified skepticism about the organizational and evaluative framework behind putting together the rest of the staff.

These are not self-evidently parallel situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: swVAHorn
I didn't say "oh my god Rutgers". The guy was the head of an absolute garbage offense. They were shut out 4 times this year. It's safe to say something was seriously wrong with that situation.
There are many, many people that can recruit at Texas, but we just got to experience what a talented roster and disfunctal staff gets you.
Thanks to said disfunctional staff, our season ended in November, again, and since what's going on right now is staff hires, people like myself may pose questions about the choices that are being made. It's no more a waste of time than commenting on any other issue on a sports forum:

We want know anything about these hires until this time next year.

On what grounds? Rutgers is the worst team in the nation in almost every statistical category on offense. He used to work with Herman, and it seems as though he landed a gig at Texas.
You don't have to listen to me, by the way. I'm simply stating my concern that this staff looks like it's going to be composed of mostly comfort hires. I didn't rah rah every choice Strong made for his staff, and I'm not going to pump sunshine for Herman either.
I'm sure there are other people who will tell you why everyone of these guys is a fantastic choice.

Offensively, our offense will have the same fingerprint that Houston had, that means it all belongs to Tom Herman. Just like our defense had the finger prints of Charlie Strong. Besides, I thought the Rutgers guy was going to be a position coach not the OC.

If we happen to get shut out a bunch of times on offense, I'm not blaming the OC, I'm blaming Tom Herman, it's his team and his offense. That is the side of the ball he knows something about.

I would of rather seen Herman go another route. Hopefully he does well though. The defense certainly improved when Strong took over. Hopefully Orlando can build on that.

I wanted a big name DC, and he went after one, it didn't work out so now it looks like Orlando. This is Tom's team, and his choice, lets hope it doesn't bury him like it buried Charlie.

I didn't say "oh my god Rutgers". The guy was the head of an absolute garbage offense. They were shut out 4 times this year. It's safe to say something was seriously wrong with that situation.
There are many, many people that can recruit at Texas, but we just got to experience what a talented roster and disfunctal staff gets you.
Thanks to said disfunctional staff, our season ended in November, again, and since what's going on right now is staff hires, people like myself may pose questions about the choices that are being made. It's no more a waste of time than commenting on any other issue on a sports forum:

Not the splash hire we were hoping for but I'm much less concerned about the offense than the defense. Tom Herman is the offensive genius who needs a defensive genius to help him. If the offense sucks, it's on Herman, if the defense sucks, it's on the DC.

I don't mind bringing on a position coach that's an up and comer type. Especially on the side of the ball the HC is strong on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT