ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

Tell me why Shaka sat Brown the whole game?!

Because he can’t coach. We could have gone with a big lineup with KJ, Simms and Brown. ACU would have had no chance against that size, length and athleticism.

CDC needs to fire him immediately. This was the most talented roster we’ve had in the past two decades. Wasted talent for sure. We have two first round picks and a likely lottery pick and we can barely score 50 points against ACU.

Embarrassing.

So now the question is who will Texas go after as a coach? Who is out there?

We don’t know if that’s a question yet. Likely not, given the Herman buyout.

By the way, I hope all of the Texas “fans” that inexplicably love licking OU’s a**hole for non-conference (and even in-conference) games in every sport are pleased to see Lincoln Riley troll us over the loss.

We don’t know if that’s a question yet. Likely not, given the Herman buyout.

By the way, I hope all of the Texas “fans” that inexplicably love licking OU’s a**hole for non-conference (and even in-conference) games in every sport are pleased to see Lincoln Riley troll us over the loss.

Herman screws us again, I get it but we can hope

Reactions: DrHorn98
NAACP pitching a fit over eot. We ain't firing the most prominent black coach on campus. But if it happens, Anthony Grant is good. Roll the dice and see if pitino wants another shot at the bigtime-- he is the best college coach of all time. Call Donovan and Stevens and see if they're available. The year to strike was last year-- hoiberg, musselman, etc. were available. We're stuck though. All of this is just dreaming

Reactions: westx and Drtxhorn
Because he can’t coach. We could have gone with a big lineup with KJ, Simms and Brown. ACU would have had no chance against that size, length and athleticism.

CDC needs to fire him immediately. This was the most talented roster we’ve had in the past two decades. Wasted talent for sure. We have two first round picks and a likely lottery pick and we can barely score 50 points against ACU.

Embarrassing.
Embarrassing for sure. This was the first time many casual fans had seen Texas play this season. They only tune in for March Madness and when they think of Shaka Smart they think of the VCU “havoc” system. Instead what they saw was this stinking pile of crap.

23 points in the 2nd half

23 turnovers

27 more FG attempts by ACU which were the direct result of 23 turnovers
It always pisses me off that these guards make stupid turnovers or take stupid shots without any consequences. Shaka doesn't bench them. Every other coach in the world will bench a player that is playing selfish or out of control to teach them a lesson or to calm them down so that they think twice when they go back out. Nope, not our coach.

It always pisses me off that these guards make stupid turnovers or take stupid shots without any consequences. Shaka doesn't bench them. Every other coach in the world will bench a player that is playing selfish or out of control to teach them a lesson or to calm them down so that they think twice when they go back out. Nope, not our coach.

He believes a coach should be their best friend too. Big mistake in philosophy for a college coach that should be developing players. No discipline. No consequences for poor decisions and lack of performance. It definitely shows in the way we consistently underperform. A college coach needs to be an A-hole sometimes to get his message across.

This loss is worse than the 66-7 loss to ucla that was the beginning of the end for Mackovic. Truly historic loss. This will definitely set our program back a few years.

Two years remaining 7.1 million guaranteed

I bet all the libs in the athletic department were giddy with glee when they saw the Christians from Abilene in the bracket. In their minds, this was a gimme. I bet they have Shaka's extension already hammered out and awaiting signatures. Imagine the pissed in post toasties this morning in the ivory toŵer UT athletic department. It warms my heart to imagine their bitterness. Goliath indeed.

Usually, when you have a 4th year PG on the team, you have a couple of developing successors on the team. I don't see anyone capable of playing PG. Texas can only hope Coleman comes back for his 5th year due to Covid rules. This is not because he is that good but because there is no better answer. Our back court was, is, and will remain our weakness and without that you cannot expect to win games.

Sims and Brock can only do so much.

Usually, when you have a 4th year PG on the team, you have a couple of developing successors on the team. I don't see anyone capable of playing PG. Texas can only hope Coleman comes back for his 5th year due to Covid rules. This is not because he is that good but because there is no better answer. Our back court was, is, and will remain our weakness and without that you cannot expect to win games.

Sims and Brock can only do so much.

Exactly. Hence the need to get to the sweet 16 this year. They need to force the issue now because shaka suck. I think the school is going to force a shaka extension and it will be the beginning of the end for CDC. CDC is going to be the fall guy for wrong headed pc intentions.

Reactions: diadevic
ACU was tougher, set harder screens, made sharper cuts, sprinted back on defense on each possession, trapped every pick and roll we attempted. We never matched their toughness and grit except for a couple guys. That won’t get it done in the tournament. You need everyone on the court maximizing effort on each possession. Diving for loose balls and deflecting passes is another indicator of effort and toughness. ACU beat us soundly on all the effort plays.

Our team is made up of guys who were developed in the AAU culture. The problem with AAU ball is that every single player thinks they’re going to play in the NBA. And AAU ball is filled with coaches like Shaka who make them believe they’re elite and special. They have to stroke their egos or else they lose them to rival AAU clubs.
In AAU the stakes are never very high. There’s not as much pressure to perform. They travel the country playing a bunch of meaningless games to showcase themselves to college and pro scouts. The stakes are never high for a team to perform well. The stakes are only high for individuals to perform well. They’re pampered and entitled for the most part.

Teams like ACU are made up mostly by guys who love the sport but don’t quite make the cut individually for an elite AAU squad. Most of these guys were just lightly recruited because they are slow, unathletic, or too overweight or too small. Notice that ACU has a guard that’s 5’6” and several guys who were overweight. But they understand the game and want to be coached.

I’m actually happy for them in a way but pissed that it had to be at our expense. They were also very respectful and professional with how they carried themselves throughout the game. No trash talking nor attention seeking behavior. That’s a sign of a well coached and disciplined team.

One thing that has been bothering me as well is basketball IQ and Basketball 101 no need for Coleman to foul! Box out! What do they teach since you were young to box out! Acu was boxing out, its the little things! Simms had a clean swat that sealed the game.

Slept on it and changed my mind. Do not fire shaka now. If you do the talking heads will say "in shaka's final year they won the conference and were a 3 seed", and they will forget the details. As much as it will hurt, we have nothing coming back so it's gonna be really really bad no matter who is coaching us. Let Bob Huggins and self and beard and drew and Dixon and Kruger have their pound of flesh. That way when he's fired they'll say "well, he had the 2 worst seasons in program history, so it's pretty justified." Screw this dude-- let him whither on the vine.

Reactions: DrHorn98 and westx
What hurts more is my realizing that ACU is in TX.

The players must be even angrier. I just do not see how Shaka survives this. At least Herman left the program in a better state than what he inherited. Cannot say the same for Shaka if he was fired now.

Herman can be viewed as a person who helped make some improvements. But, he saturated.

With Shaka, we are heading in the opposite direction despite having really good talent in the frontcourt. Inability to recruit and develop guards is the reason Shaka is failing miserably at Texas.

Guards - fail
free thrown shooting - some improvement this year
game plan - getting worse from bad
3-point shooting - horrible
playing smart - Nope
athleticism and hustle - great in the frontcourt. lousy in the backcourt (other than coleman)

I've never seen such a poor performance.

Ever.

In anything.
boy if misery loves company here is my list of worst UT performances in no particular order.
Rice beats TX in fb
any of the four 65-0 beatdowns Stoops put on Mack
Fred Akers sending Craig Curry back to receive a punt having never fielded a punt in college nor high school
Strong losing to Kansas
route 66
the entire Bob Weltlich era
Abe's team that started 15-0 then went 0-15

Reactions: westx
Teams like ACU are made up mostly by guys who love the sport but don’t quite make the cut individually for an elite AAU squad. Most of these guys were just lightly recruited because they are slow, unathletic, or too overweight or too small. Notice that ACU has a guard that’s 5’6” and several guys who were overweight. But they understand the game and want to be coached.
I looked at ACU as the island of misfit toys. A 5'6" guard. A 6'4" 240 lb post. But as we've seen over and over for the last 10 years, in football and basketball, these guys are higher than a kite when it comes to the idea of taking down Texas. And the Horns respond with 23 turnovers. A 4 year starter at point guard, and 23 turnovers. Coleman is the exact same guy today that he was 4 years ago. No development at all - quick as a cat, tremendous potential, but a coach that insists on one on one, dribbling the shot clock down, and hoisting an ill advised contested shot. Good luck on the recruiting trail convincing any point guard to come to Austin.

We’ll be lucky to win 10 games next year.

We must have a new coach in place when our new arena opens. We can’t keep Shaka past next year.

boy if misery loves company here is my list of worst UT performances in no particular order.
Rice beats TX in fb
any of the four 65-0 beatdowns Stoops put on Mack
Fred Akers sending Craig Curry back to receive a punt having never fielded a punt in college nor high school
Strong losing to Kansas
route 66
the entire Bob Weltlich era
Abe's team that started 15-0 then went 0-15
I would add the loss to Baylor in 1989: 50-7
Blowout losses vs BYU: 47-6 1988, 41-7 2014.

Slept on it and changed my mind. Do not fire shaka now. If you do the talking heads will say "in shaka's final year they won the conference and were a 3 seed", and they will forget the details. As much as it will hurt, we have nothing coming back so it's gonna be really really bad no matter who is coaching us. Let Bob Huggins and self and beard and drew and Dixon and Kruger have their pound of flesh. That way when he's fired they'll say "well, he had the 2 worst seasons in program history, so it's pretty justified." Screw this dude-- let him whither on the vine.

Yeah, you have a point.

The sad reality is Smart will be back next year. I'm sure Belmont loves his wokeness and liberal PC attitude. That, and what he's owed on the remainder of his contract and given how much Herman was paid to go away. I agree with others who have said that Texas will win 10-12 games next season. Hopefully one more year and Smart is gone. What a brutal hire he was.

We are the laughing stock of college basketball at the moment read this last paragraph from an article.

"Abilene Christian’s win makes them, unbelievably, the second school in as many days to pull off an upset over a gigantic public university while maintaining campus-wide bans on gay or premarital sex and cleavage, among plenty of other sins. Maybe these freaks are on to something".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT