Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

westx

Dec 6, 2009
I missed the game, but I am looking at the box score. By the score it looked like a good defensive ball game. Very evenly as far as stats go, except the box score has one outlier:
Nova: Texas:
FG%. 24/56=42.9%. 27/60=45%
3pt%. 6/19=31.6%. 7/22=31.8%
FT%. 14/19=73.7%. 3/6 =50%

Well, actually two outliers: 1) Nova went to the line 19 times and Texas 6 times. 2) Nova was 73.7% with free throws and Texas was 50%.

This is more of the same with Shaka's teams. They keep the game on the perimeter and never drive in or take it to the paint and force the opposing team to foul.

Last edited:

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
This ⬆! Also as much as I’m wanting AJ to do good....Kai has to start and play more minutes than him!
Yeah I think you are going to see Kai start to take more mins from Simms. Simms just isn’t aggressive enough in the post. He should be getting a double/double every time out, and getting to the line 5-7 times a game. He’s good enough and he gets plenty of opportunities

Drtxhorn

Feb 13, 2016
San Antonio
The best lineup for this team:

PG Coleman
SG Ramey
SF Brown
PF Kai Jones
C Simms

This group defensively is virtually positionless. They can switch all of the pick and rolls plus they all have the footspeed to guard anyone on the perimeter. The length and athleticism of this lineup is ridiculous. Simms is the anchor in the middle protecting the rim. He really doesn't have to do anything offensively. We just need him to defend the paint and rebound like a fothermucker. Jones and Brown both need to develop some playmaking ability. Both of them are below average passers. Coleman and Cunningham can't be the only playmakers on the team. Championship teams always have multiple playmakers on the floor at the same time. That means Jones and Brown need to start driving relentlessly into the paint and kicking it out to an open shooter if the defense collapses into the paint. The shooters need to knock down shots consistently. If all of these things are all clicking at once, we can beat anyone in the country. It's all going to come down to coaching. So far, Shaka has Brown playing out of position and Kai is being used as an energy guy off the bench to go against the opposing team bench players. That won't get it done in the Big 12 and NCAA tournament where the rotations tighten up and only 6-7 players get to play all the meaningful minutes. He's playing an 8-9 player rotation currently. That's a big adjustment for the players who play all season with one consistent rotation then have to adjust with a brand new rotation come tournament time. He needs to start playing a consistent lineup and rotation now with his best players at each position on the floor to start the game.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
The best lineup for this team:

PG Coleman
SG Ramey
SF Brown
PF Kai Jones
C Simms

This group defensively is virtually positionless. They can switch all of the pick and rolls plus they all have the footspeed to guard anyone on the perimeter. The length and athleticism of this lineup is ridiculous. Simms is the anchor in the middle protecting the rim. He really doesn't have to do anything offensively. We just need him to defend the paint and rebound like a fothermucker. Jones and Brown both need to develop some playmaking ability. Both of them are below average passers. Coleman and Cunningham can't be the only playmakers on the team. Championship teams always have multiple playmakers on the floor at the same time. That means Jones and Brown need to start driving relentlessly into the paint and kicking it out to an open shooter if the defense collapses into the paint. The shooters need to knock down shots consistently. If all of these things are all clicking at once, we can beat anyone in the country. It's all going to come down to coaching. So far, Shaka has Brown playing out of position and Kai is being used as an energy guy off the bench to go against the opposing team bench players. That won't get it done in the Big 12 and NCAA tournament where the rotations tighten up and only 6-7 players get to play all the meaningful minutes. He's playing an 8-9 player rotation currently. That's a big adjustment for the players who play all season with one consistent rotation then have to adjust with a brand new rotation come tournament time. He needs to start playing a consistent lineup and rotation now with his best players at each position on the floor to start the game.
I like that. Andrew Jones coming off the bench has a scorer. He was great on that role last year. Brown looked like he figured out how to play college basketball late in the game today.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Texas up 62-45 with 5 mins to go on Texas State. Not the prettiest game on the world but several teams around the country have struggled in these games the last couple weeks, so good to see them handle their business

Reactions: Oldmanastro

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Brown with 18 points tonight. Nice to see him have a game. Maybe build some confidence as the schedule toughens

Reactions: Drtxhorn

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
I like when they are aggressive to the rim, let's get ready for Bailor
Yep 10 dunks tonight. That’s what this team should be able to do against a team like Texas state. Credit Texas state. Though they play tough.

diadevic

May 4, 2006
BU is a Covid BBall mess. Gonzaga was on Gonzaga. But we already missed AZ St. because Drew got it. Now this one. Get it together Bears!

diadevic

May 4, 2006
BU already beat No. 6 Illinois, and scheduled top ranked Gonzaga as well as Pre Season Top 20 Az St., so I don't know where you are getting this skepticism from.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Just watched today’s game. Great to see Brown really take over that game. Seems like it’s clicked for him the last couple games. Right in time. Ok state I think is in that bottom 5 behind Baylor, KU, Texas. WVU and Tech, but they are going to be a problem for teams along the way. Shaka needs to start bringing Simms off the bench. Idk what’s up with the dude, but he just isn’t the force in the post he needs to be.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
You talk a lot!!! The meaning was in winning the game....not getting fired.
I assumed by “saved Shaka’s ass” and asking how long it lasts you were referring to his job. Since for most of the board it’s a foregone conclusion he’ll be fired

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
I was rewatching parts of the game. Heppa is the worst defensive player I have ever seen. I mean he can score, seems like a good kid, and strikes me as a leader on the team watching him on the bench but has zero clue on the defensive end of the court.

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
Shaka will never win the b12. He's not a good coach. His teams are soft. Too many fouls and not enough free throws.

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
This team is a lot of things soft isn’t one of them.
They don't go inside well. They don't drive the lane well. They commit too many fouls. Rick Barnes teams were disciplined and went inside well. We wanted to take thenext step. Shaka wasn't the answer.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
They don't go inside well. They don't drive the lane well. They commit too many fouls. Rick Barnes teams were disciplined and went inside well. We wanted to take thenext step. Shaka wasn't the answer.
Rick Barnes had LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, cam Ridley, dexter Pittman, etc. that helps the post game. Simms is not those guys. He should be, but he isn’t. Besides the game is really moving away from that type of play anyway

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
Rick Barnes had LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, cam Ridley, dexter Pittman, etc. that helps the post game. Simms is not those guys. He should be, but he isn’t. Besides the game is really moving away from that type of play anyway

Gotta recruit the players to be good.

Having a bunch of shooting guards on the floor do shoot around for 40 minutes is not basketball.

I think many of the coaches don't want to teach the x's and o's of offense. Defense is much easier if the team has athletes like Texas does. It's also much easier to pass the ball around the perimeter and jack up a 3 instead of yelling at your team to push the ball inside. I see Shaka as taking the path of least resistance. He's an AAU coach at heart.

diadevic

May 4, 2006
Shaka has had Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, Jaxson Hayes. All first round picks - two in the lottery. And hardly any impact on UT BBall. That's not a criticism of the players.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Shaka has had Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, Jaxson Hayes. All first round picks - two in the lottery. And hardly any impact on UT BBall. That's not a criticism of the players.
Right and when he has those guys we were good in the post lol. Simms has the skills to be as good a big man as there is. He just doesn’t play with the same intensity and toughness that his teammates do, and you can’t coach that you either have it or don’t

diadevic

May 4, 2006
Right and when he has those guys we were good in the post lol. Simms has the skills to be as good a big man as there is. He just doesn’t play with the same intensity and toughness that his teammates do, and you can’t coach that you either have it or don’t
Good? More like squandered opportunity!

Jarrett Allen 2016-2017
Team Record 11-22
Conference Record 4-14

Mo Bamba 2017-2018
Team Record 19-15
Conference Record 8-10

Jaxson Hayes 2018-2019
Team Record 21-16
Conference Record 8-10

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Didn’t have the guard play when Allen was there. I think when Shaka recruited Allen he did so thinking Taylor was going to come back. When that didn’t happen it left a hole.

the reality is recruiting guys like Bamba and Allen isn’t going to get you a winner. Guys like that will be much better pros then they will be college players. I’m glad Shaka has moved away from that a bit. If I’m recruiting big men I’d much rather take guys like Kai Jones and Jackson Hays who are more projectable than sure fire one and dones

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
Today we have Kansas, 11am. We are sitting at #9, them at #3, so a true test to see where we are at.
Hook Em

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
A letter to Shaka,
By clob

Dear Shaka,

Fvcking sucks, don't it?

This ain't Kenyon college anymore. You ain't the starting point guard anymore. VCU? Nah. Remember that one year you spent at Florida as an assistant? Remember watching Billy Donovan and his slicked coif grow damp with sweat after every game? How bright the lights were on him? How you longed for the day where you had YOUR moment in the sun?

Well my dude-- after five years of stinking up the joint, guess what?

Today's your day, MoFo.

Today is the day that you can turn back all the naysayers and make it right with the folks like me that supported you. I knew you could get us here, I just thought you'd do it before you got gray hairs on your ball sack. Don't ask how I know. My spies are everywhere.

Today, you can usher Texas one giant leap toward legitimacy again in basketball. We don't demand a final four every year, but a sweet 16 would be nice. And today is a chance for you to get us on that path.

You wanted your Billy Donovan moment, well, here it is. Now go make us proud or be prepared to GTFO of dodge.