ADVERTISEMENT

Musk making a power move to free Twitter

We live in two Americas. I lost interest after the first two paragraphs. "Musk makes a mockery of the first amendment"????? Twitter is the one that bans participants, not Musk!

"I read recently that Twitter has had a change and removed him from his board. The are public officials who's opinions I respect and trust. " Wrong again! (a) the Board members aren't "public officials". (b) They didn't remove him, he refused the invitation. Why? Because he would've been limited to 15% ownership - those "public officials who's opinions you respect and trust" were trying to put him on the Board so that he couldn't buy more stock - and save their positions - they literally are the "swamp" looking after themselves rather than shareholders.

"He uses twitter to silence his critics" - just how does he do that? He doesn't have the power to police he gets to tweet.

"I could go on and in detail" - I'm waiting for the first detail!

Cali - its ok to dislike something or someone, whether rational or irrational. But this sounded like an MSNBC script - you have nothing concrete except name calling.

For the record -- I applaud him for his contributions to the USA, and his purchase of Twitter will be great for the USA and for shareholders..
Diadevic I'm definitely on the left but that doesn't mean I listen to say Joy Read on a regular basis because I don't. I don't even want to hear what Ana Kasperian has to say about anything.

That being said Elon Musk is a bad person. Read something that isn't conservative biased about the other side of Elon Musk he is not who you guys think he is.

I have some time now.

Recently Elon Musk called himself a first amendment absolutist and I give a hard no to that statement. Elon Musk makes a mockery of the first amendment.

I read recently that Twitter has had a change and removed him from his board. The are public officials who's opinions I respect and trust.

Where do I start? In regards to Elon Musk it's about power to determine what people can say especially about him.

No oligarch should have this much power and make no mistake about it Mr Musk is an oligarch and he has no right to have this much power over our democracy. Yes our democracy because Mr Musk was not born here I assume most of you know he's Australian.

For all of us who defend capitalism and yes I'm one of them we need to know that an oligarchy is not good for markets or freedom.

Isn't it obvious to anyone besides me that Mr Musk wants to use his money to silence his critics?

I mentioned above that Elon Musk makes a mockery of the first amendment. He said Trump shouldn't have been kicked off the internet he said tech companies "shouldn't be the arbiters of free speech." But he uses Twitter to silence his critics of which he has many. He also does it at Tesla with his employees.

And speaking of his employees he fired them when they tried to unionize. Tesla's has had record profits since the pandemic but the way the way their employees have been treated is inhumane.

I could go on and in detail but I'll stop here. No oligarch should have this much power over the internet and that's Elon Musk's goal.

And I am not ok with this.
So basically you’re mad because he is an extremely successful person? Weird reason to dislike someone.

I have some time now.

Recently Elon Musk called himself a first amendment absolutist and I give a hard no to that statement. Elon Musk makes a mockery of the first amendment.

I read recently that Twitter has had a change and removed him from his board. The are public officials who's opinions I respect and trust.

Where do I start? In regards to Elon Musk it's about power to determine what people can say especially about him.

No oligarch should have this much power and make no mistake about it Mr Musk is an oligarch and he has no right to have this much power over our democracy. Yes our democracy because Mr Musk was not born

So basically you’re mad because he is an extremely successful person? Weird reason to dislike someone.
He wants to tax the mother****er. 😁

That's not it all. Like I said you guys admire and respect him I don't. I don't begrudge his making a fortune. But I consider myself knowledgeable about what's going on in America I see a widening gap between top and bottom. Living wages is a real issue for me. And why is minimum wage in TX only $7.25 an hour? I live in the real world a lot of people on here seem to have contempt for the real world.

I don't know if people on here really believe what they post on here. I've always thought there was a lot of tough taking bluster on here now I wonder. I know some people say things to try and bait me. I've been told fu, eat s***, and that Rambo wanna be Wasatch told me to take an assault rifle and shove it up when Kyle Rittenhouse was all the news. But no it's not about me.

If people really mean what they post on here than I'm seeing some social darwinism on here. Out and out contempt for for everyone below them. That we, meaning conservative Republicans, are superior and everyone else is inferior and are destined to stay that way. Meanwhile we are destined to be greater and greater. Do you guys deny it?

That's not it all. Like I said you guys admire and respect him I don't. I don't begrudge his making a fortune. But I consider myself knowledgeable about what's going on in America I see a widening gap between top and bottom. Living wages is a real issue for me. And why is minimum wage in TX only $7.25 an hour? I live in the real world a lot of people on here seem to have contempt for the real world.

I don't know if people on here really believe what they post on here. I've always thought there was a lot of tough taking bluster on here now I wonder. I know some people say things to try and bait me. I've been told fu, eat s***, and that Rambo wanna be Wasatch told me to take an assault rifle and shove it up when Kyle Rittenhouse was all the news. But no it's not about me.

If people really mean what they post on here than I'm seeing some social darwinism on here. Out and out contempt for for everyone below them. That we, meaning conservative Republicans, are superior and everyone else is inferior and are destined to stay that way. Meanwhile we are destined to be greater and greater. Do you guys deny it?
I can totally get onboard with you on this bolded part

Still waiting for you to name specifics. What I got out of your post is that Musk makes too much money. Is that your beef? As to living wages - as I tell my classes - it’s pretty simple - if you want to be wealthy, look at what wealthy people do and copy. Look at what people in poverty do, and avoid.

So, like I said, you are upset because he makes a lot of money. I'm not really sure what Elon Musk has to do with the minimum wage in Texas? You should be worried about that crooked ass president you voted for. There's more corruption involved with his name than any other political figure in the history of this country.

Right now I'm very

Right now I'm very busy especially with personal issues that no grandparent should never go thru and I hope no one on here ever does. But I have to say something on this and if I have some time to elaborate I will.

But in my eyes he'll always be a scumbag and no I'm not envious or jealous.

Hope all is well. I'm not, nor was I jumping on you. Just genuinely curious. Prayers my man!!!

This isn't the case Cali-- and please let me explain to you why.

Have you ever heard the term "flyover country"? I'm sure you have. It's an insult used by coastal elites to describe anyone living between California and the eastern sea board. It was THE original "you guys are a bunch of knuckle dragging cave men with nothing to offer us elites" insult.

Now I ask you, if you continue treating the people in "fly over country" -- the people that grow your crops and raise your meat bearing animals-- if you continue treating these people like they are "lesser" do you think after a few decades of this that these people would eventually push back?

Well-- here it is. Rednecks didn't coin the term "redneck"...... Yankees did. The elites used that term to speak in a derogatory manner about men that worked outside all day, and had sunburns on the backs of their neck. And unlike the black community and the names they were called, rednecks EMBRACED the term because it was a source of pride to be a hard worker.

Fast forward through the years and realize that "flyover country redneck hillbilly knuckle dragging basket of deplorables clinging to their guns and bibles" have decided that coastal elites can fvck right off-- and guess what? Coastal elites don't like being told to fvck off.

So what do they do in response? Instead of saying "OK middle America people, we are sorry for looking down at you. We are sorry for making you seem like you are 'lesser' because you don't have Broadway shows, hummus, movie stars, and sushi"---- nope-- the coastal elites doubled down. In their dialogue, we became racists, and bigots, and misogynistic, and homophobics, and the list goes on and on. All because coastal elites believe they are ABOVE those of us that keep their power on, gas in their car, food on their plate-- but WE are the lesser in their eyes.

Now I ask you-- if there's some attitude on this board (and in this country) about people being treated as "inferior"-- maybe you now have a better idea why-- and honestly, can you blame them?

You can only kick a dog so many times before that dog eventually bites you. The coastal elites have been kicking us for decades and now you act surprised when we finally bite?

I have some time now.

No oligarch should have this much power and make no mistake about it Mr Musk is an oligarch and he has no right to have this much power over our democracy. Yes our democracy because Mr Musk was not born here I assume most of you know he's Australian.

For all of us who defend capitalism and yes I'm one of them we need to know that an oligarchy is not good for markets or freedom.

Isn't it obvious to anyone besides me that Mr Musk wants to use his money to silence his critics?

I mentioned above that Elon Musk makes a mockery of the first amendment. He said Trump shouldn't have been kicked off the internet he said tech companies "shouldn't be the arbiters of free speech." But he uses Twitter to silence his critics of which he has many. He also does it at Tesla with his employees.

And speaking of his employees he fired them when they tried to unionize. Tesla's has had record profits since the pandemic but the way the way their employees have been treated is inhumane.

I could go on and in detail but I'll stop here. No oligarch should have this much power over the internet and that's Elon Musk's goal.

And I am not ok with this.
Umm...what?

"The economic effects of minimum wage legislation have been analyzed in numerous statistical studies.[44] While there is a debate over the magnitude of the effects, the weight of research by academic scholars points to the conclusion that unemployment for some population groups is directly related to legal minimum wages and that the unemployment effects of the minimum wage law are felt disproportionately by nonwhites."

Walter Williams

Have you ever heard the term "flyover country"? I'm sure you have. It's an insult used by coastal elites to describe anyone living between California and the eastern sea board. It was THE original "you guys are a bunch of knuckle dragging cave men with nothing to offer us elites" insult.

Now I ask you, if you continue treating the people in "fly over country" -- the people that grow your crops and raise your meat bearing animals-- if you continue treating these people like they are "lesser" do you think after a few decades of this that these people would eventually push back?

Well-- here it is. Rednecks didn't coin the term "redneck"...... Yankees did. The elites used that term to speak in a derogatory manner about men that worked outside all day, and had sunburns on the backs of their neck. And unlike the black community and the names they were called, rednecks EMBRACED the term because it was a source of pride to be a hard worker.

Fast forward through the years and realize that "flyover country redneck hillbilly knuckle dragging basket of deplorables clinging to their guns and bibles" have decided that coastal elites can fvck right off-- and guess what? Coastal elites don't like being told to fvck off.

So what do they do in response? Instead of saying "OK middle America people, we are sorry for looking down at you. We are sorry for making you seem like you are 'lesser' because you don't have Broadway shows, hummus, movie stars, and sushi"---- nope-- the coastal elites doubled down. In their dialogue, we became racists, and bigots, and misogynistic, and homophobics, and the list goes on and on. All because coastal elites believe they are ABOVE those of us that keep their power on, gas in their car, food on their plate-- but WE are the lesser in their eyes.

Now I ask you-- if there's some attitude on this board (and in this country) about people being treated as "inferior"-- maybe you now have a better idea why-- and honestly, can you blame them?

You can only kick a dog so many times before that dog eventually bites you. The coastal elites have been kicking us for decades and now you act surprised when we finally bite?
I think you and I are taking about different things.
"The economic effects of minimum wage legislation have been analyzed in numerous statistical studies.[44] While there is a debate over the magnitude of the effects, the weight of research by academic scholars points to the conclusion that unemployment for some population groups is directly related to legal minimum wages and that the unemployment effects of the minimum wage law are felt disproportionately by nonwhites."

Walter Williams

Walter Williams was an apologist for trickle down economics.

• Haha
Reactions: dj701919

It's impossible to discuss anything with someone that is a subject matter expert in every topic he discusses.

I sited a nationally recognize economist and as usual, you have referred to people without providing any concrete support.

Now he's going to say he doesn't have the time and all we have to do is google it.

Dang fine post brother.

It's impossible to discuss anything with someone that is a subject matter expert in every topic he discusses.

I sited a nationally recognize economist and as usual, you have referred to people without providing any concrete support.
You can’t argue with someone who does not listen to facts/reason and bases all opinions on emotion.

The amount of people in Texas that earn minimum wage is a very small percent. I think it is less than 1% if you remove service industry that earn there income from tips. I can’t remember the last we hired anybody at $7.25. All this seems to work without a feel good law making a business pay a certain amount.

Reactions: freeper
This man says this perfectly about Elon Musk
You can’t argue with someone who does not listen to facts/reason and bases all opinions on emotion.
I base opinions on emotions and don't listen to facts or reasons? I read opinions on here all the time take a look in the mirror. When it comes to political or social opinions everyone is emotional including me.

I base opinions on emotions and don't listen to facts or reasons? I read opinions on here all the time take a look in the mirror. When it comes to political or social opinions everyone is emotional including me.
There might be sumthin wrong with yer mirror. Just sayin

Reactions: Belldozer1

You have 2 options for 2024, Trump or DeSantis, who you getting behind because there won't be a Dem anywhere on the ballot. I'm leaning towards DeSantis right now because his nutz are just swinging left to right when he walks but if Orangeman decides to wreck shop on the Dems I'm fine with that too.

I try to understand cali and his logic, but I can't comprehend where he's coming from. I literally shake my head in disbelief how he and those of his mindset can rationalize most things that are going on in the country and world today. Any sane American, Democrat or Republican, can see how much better off this country was when Trump was in office. To argue that is just plain idiocracy.

Ok @clob94 you and I have never gone after each other and I appreciate that. You're in the oil and gas business and everyone is upset about the price of gas.

This man has strong opinions about big oil. I want to hear from you from where you disagree with me.

This morning I filled my car with gas, costing almost six dollars a gallon. My car is a Mini Cooper I bought years ago, partly because it wasn’t a gas-guzzler. Now it’s guzzling dollars.

Putin and Trump have convinced me: I was wrong about the 21st century | Robert Rei
When I consider what’s happening in Ukraine, I say what the hell. It’s a small sacrifice

Yet guess who’s making no sacrifice at all – in fact, who’s reaping a giant windfall from this crisi

Big oil has hit a gusher. Even before Vladimir Putin’s war, oil prices had begun to rise due to the recovery in global demand and tight inventorie

Last year, when Americans were already struggling to pay their heating bills and fill up their gas tanks, the biggest oil companies (Shell, Chevron, BP, and Exxon) posted profits totaling $75bn. This year, courtesy of Putin, big oil is on the way to a far bigger bonan

How are the oil companies using this windfall? I can assure you they’re not investing in renewables. They’re not even increasing oil productio

As Chevron’s top executive, Mike Wirth, said in September, “We could afford to invest more” but “the equity market is not sending a signal that says they think we ought to be doing that

Translated: Wall Street says the way to maximize profits is to limit supply and push up prices instea

So they’re buying back their own stock in order to give their stock prices even more of a boost. Last year they spent $38bn on stock buybacks – their biggest buyback spending spree since 2008. This year, thanks largely to Putin, the oil giants are planning to buy back at least $22bn mor

Republicans will balk at any tax increase on big oil, of cour
Make no mistake. This is a direct redistribution from consumers who are paying through the nose at the gas pump to big oil’s investors and top executives (whose compensation packages are larded with shares of stock and stock options)

Though it’s seldom discussed in the media, lower-income earners and their families bear the brunt of the burden of higher gas prices. Not only are lower-income people less likely to be able to work from home, they’re also more likely to commute for longer distances between work and home in order to afford less expensive housin

Big oil companies could absorb the higher costs of crude oil. The reason they’re not is because they’re so big they don’t have to. They don’t worry about losing market share to competitors. So they’re passing on the higher costs to consumers in the form of higher prices, and pocketing record profit

It’s the same old story in this country: when crisis strikes, the poor and working class are on the frontlines while the biggest corporations and their investors and top brass rake it i

What to do? Hit big oil with a windfall profits ta

The European Union recently advised its members to seek a windfall profits tax on oil companies taking advantage of this very grave emergency to raise their price

Democrats just introduced similar legislation here in the US. The bill would tax the largest oil companies, which are recording their biggest profits in years, and use the money to provide quarterly checks to Americans facing sticker shock as inflation continues to soa

It would require oil companies producing or importing at least 300,000 barrels of oil per day to pay a per-barrel tax equal to half the difference between the current price of a barrel and the average price from the years 2015 to 201

This is hardly confiscatory. Those were years when energy companies were already recording large profits. Quarterly rebates to consumers would phase out for individuals earning more than $75,000 or couples earning $150,00

Republicans will balk at any tax increase on big oil, of course. They and the coal-industry senator Joe Manchin even tanked the nomination of Sarah Bloom Raskin to the Fed because she had the temerity to speak out about the systemic risks that climate change poses to our econom

But a windfall profits tax on big oil is exactly what Democrats must do to help average working people through this fuel crisis. It’s good policy, it’s good politics and it’s the right thing to d

Robert Reich, a former US secretary of labor, is professor of public policy at the University of California at Berkeley and the author of Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few and The Common Good. His new book, The System: Who Rigged It, How We Fix It, is out now. He is a Guardian US columnist. His newsletter is at robertreich.substack.c
This morning I filled my car with gas, costing almost six dollars a gallon. My car is a Mini Cooper I bought years ago, partly because it wasn’t a gas-guzzler. Now it’s guzzling dollars

Putin and Trump have convinced me: I was wrong about the 21st century | Robert Rei
When I consider what’s happening in Ukraine, I say what the hell. It’s a small sacrifice

Yet guess who’s making no sacrifice at all – in fact, who’s reaping a giant windfall from this crisi

Big oil has hit a gusher. Even before Vladimir Putin’s war, oil prices had begun to rise due to the recovery in global demand and tight inventorie

Last year, when Americans were already struggling to pay their heating bills and fill up their gas tanks, the biggest oil companies (Shell, Chevron, BP, and Exxon) posted profits totaling $75bn. This year, courtesy of Putin, big oil is on the way to a far bigger bonan

How are the oil companies using this windfall? I can assure you they’re not investing in renewables. They’re not even increasing oil productio

As Chevron’s top executive, Mike Wirth, said in September, “We could afford to invest more” but “the equity market is not sending a signal that says they think we ought to be doing that

Translated: Wall Street says the way to maximize profits is to limit supply and push up prices instea

So they’re buying back their own stock in order to give their stock prices even more of a boost. Last year they spent $38bn on stock buybacks – their biggest buyback spending spree since 2008. This year, thanks largely to Putin, the oil giants are planning to buy back at least $22bn mor

Make no mistake. This is a direct redistribution from consumers who are paying through the nose at the gas pump to big oil’s investors and top executives (whose compensation packages are larded with shares of stock and stock options)

Though it’s seldom discussed in the media, lower-income earners and their families bear the brunt of the burden of higher gas prices. Not only are lower-income people less likely to be able to work from home, they’re also more likely to commute for longer distances between work and home in order to afford less expensive housin

Big oil companies could absorb the higher costs of crude oil. The reason they’re not is because they’re so big they don’t have to. They don’t worry about losing market share to competitors. So they’re passing on the higher costs to consumers in the form of higher prices, and pocketing record profit

It’s the same old story in this country: when crisis strikes, the poor and working class are on the frontlines while the biggest corporations and their investors and top brass rake it i

The European Union recently advised its members to seek a windfall profits tax on oil companies taking advantage of this very grave emergency to raise their price

Democrats just introduced similar legislation here in the US. The bill would tax the largest oil companies, which are recording their biggest profits in years, and use the money to provide quarterly checks to Americans facing sticker shock as inflation continues to soa

It would require oil companies producing or importing at least 300,000 barrels of oil per day to pay a per-barrel tax equal to half the difference between the current price of a barrel and the average price from the years 2015 to 201

This is hardly confiscatory. Those were years when energy companies were already recording large profits. Quarterly rebates to consumers would phase out for individuals earning more than $75,000 or couples earning $150,00

Republicans will balk at any tax increase on big oil, of course. They and the coal-industry senator Joe Manchin even tanked the nomination of Sarah Bloom Raskin to the Fed because she had the temerity to speak out about the systemic risks that climate change poses to our econom

But a windfall profits tax on big oil is exactly what Democrats must do to help average working people through this fuel crisis. It’s good policy, it’s good politics and it’s the right thing to d

Robert Reich, a former US secretary of labor, is professor of public policy at the University of California at Berkeley and the author of Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few and The Common Good. His new book, The System: Who Rigged It, How We Fix It, is out now. He is a Guardian US columnist. His newsletter is at robertreich.substack.c
omo.y.0.9.r.s.x.n.s.g..see.d..”n.za.s.s?.ch.omo.y.0.9.r.s.x.n.s.g..see.d..”n.za.s.s?.ch newsletter is at robertreich.substack.com

Ok @clob94 you and I have never gone after each other and I appreciate that. You're in the oil and gas business and everyone is upset about the price of gas.

This man has strong opinions about big oil. I want to hear from you from where you disagree with me.

This morning I filled my car with gas, costing almost six dollars a gallon. My car is a Mini Cooper I bought years ago, partly because it wasn’t a gas-guzzler. Now it’s guzzling dollars.

This morning I filled my car with gas, costing almost six dollars a gallon. My car is a Mini Cooper I bought years ago, partly because it wasn’t a gas-guzzler. Now it’s guzzling dollars

omo.y.0.9.r.s.x.n.s.g..see.d..”n.za.s.s?.ch.omo.y.0.9.r.s.x.n.s.g..see.d..”n.za.s.s?.ch newsletter is at robertreich.substack.com
If you want to lower gas prices and the profit margins for big oil companies all you have to do is open up more production in the USA. Democrats refuse to increase oil production here where it’s more abundant and cleaner. Instead, we’re now importing most of our oil and gas which is more expensive and from countries that are controlled by evil regimes like Iran and Venezuela. I’ll never understand why Democrats are so opposed to maximizing oil production in the USA.

How much of your “article” is yours, and how much is cut ’n’ paste? Just curious. 🤔

How much of your “article” is yours, and how much is cut ’n’ paste? Just curious. 🤔
I read this article thoroughly, more than once I understand it very well. So I'm asking a man in the oil business his thoughts on it.

I'm sure you base your opinions on what you've read as well. Now go back read the article and tell me what you actually think and then we can talk if you want.

Last edited:
If you want to lower gas prices and the profit margins for big oil companies all you have to do is open up more production in the USA. Democrats refuse to increase oil production here where it’s more abundant and cleaner. Instead, we’re now importing most of our oil and gas which is more expensive and from countries that are controlled by evil regimes like Iran and Venezuela. I’ll never understand why Democrats are so opposed to maximizing oil production in the USA.
Actually the Biden administration has opened up the country for more oil production your sources are keeping facts like this away from you.

You have 2 options for 2024, Trump or DeSantis, who you getting behind because there won't be a Dem anywhere on the ballot. I'm leaning towards DeSantis right now because his nutz are just swinging left to right when he walks but if Orangeman decides to wreck shop on the Dems I'm fine with that too.
Belldozer here's another another man running for POTUS.

Your very own governor how proud you must be and your Secretary of Agriculture is pissed. Do any of you guys care at all?

Why leave out a windfall profits tax on Big Pharma?

What does the unsuccessful nomination of radical Raskin have to do with a proposed windfall profits tax? Apparently, Obama, Biden, and Pelosi aren't too concerned about "climate change" since they own multi-million dollar ocean-front estates.

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT