Nahlin 9.95 insider on Herman and Texas

westx

Dec 6, 2009
The distribution model for television programming is finished. It is over. Everything is accessible on the net for free. That is a large chunk of cash being wasted. What am I saying exactly? I am saying that large network contracts are worthless. When ESPN buys exclusive rights to SEC sports, they are paying the SEC to distribute SEC content. ESPN charges a pretty penny for viewers to buy their content. There is a problem.... Technology has rendered their middleman scheme worthless. I can watch anything for free online. They have no way to stop this and ESPN is bleeding out. The same will happen to FOX or anyone that believes they can be gate keepers for content. The conferences are getting kicked in the balls. The schools are getting kicked in the balls. And you guessed it, the players are going to get kicked in the balls.... all things university, pro, whatever are going to take a sizeable pay cut.

How does this relate to the above conversation? The pie is shrinking and player protests are driving away paying customers. The number of leeches is growing. The players are killing the sports business model. The NBA is in serious trouble. The other leagues are following suit. NCAA football is not immune.

The Universtiy of Texas is in serious trouble financially. The athletic department is broke. The athletic department is now in the hands of boosters. The boosters will be calling the shots for the foreseeable future or the AD will wither on the vine. The players are biting the hand that feeds them. If UT Austin loses its fanbase, the whole B12 goes down. While OU is winning and doing well now, it's really only a matter of time til they have the same issues.

UT Austin lost me... I'm just an unimportant alum but I have been telling many others how to boycott UT Austin by pirating their content and the word is spreading. A forest fire indeed.

Think I'm full of crap? Take a peek at sportsbay.org. This is what the future is going to look like but it will be legal. The only profit will be advertising. The only thing I can't find on there is NCAA women's volleyball. I'm sure it's next to be added.
I don't know enough about how the wheels go round and round in sports revenue, but most of what you say makes sense. However, there is something I don't understand. The organizations, whether it be NFL or NCAA, still have to allow TV cameras and broadcasting professionals into their stadiums to conduct a game with enough camera angles and talking head coverage to be fully entertaining. How do Fox/ESPN/ABC get squeezed out if they are the ones providing that service?

dj701919

Nov 20, 2012
Those certainly are some words.

I’m not getting into the specifics of sociological theory, and I’m not going to have a debate on race. I think a lot of traditions are bad and need to change. I think OU should change its mascot because it represents the theft of land from indigenous people. Whether that influences anyone to play at OU or not is completely secondary. But I do want minority populations to feel welcome on campus. If Black people have a problem with the racist origins of a fight song, you should change it because it makes them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. If that isn’t enough to persuade you, I’m saying you might also be motivated by the desire to win. Regardless of whether you think it is racist or not, Black athletes do. So you can change it, or you can send a message that they aren’t welcome and should go play elsewhere. That’s just reality,
Sooner fan would curb stomp their own grandma to win a game.

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
I don't know enough about how the wheels go round and round in sports revenue, but most of what you say makes sense. However, there is something I don't understand. The organizations, whether it be NFL or NCAA, still have to allow TV cameras and broadcasting professionals into their stadiums to conduct a game with enough camera angles and talking head coverage to be fully entertaining. How do Fox/ESPN/ABC get squeezed out if they are the ones providing that service?
The network customers (me) are getting their product for free (Sportsbay.org, Sportsurge, Redditt streams) while ESPN, FOX, ABC are overpaying in the hundreds of millions for NCAA distribution rights. They are going to go bankrupt. After ESPN, there will be broadcasting companies similar to radio broadcasts that work for the sports teams. The sports teams will earn revenue through advertising, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. but they won't be receiving huge distribution payouts as they do now. The new broadcasting companies will operate for pennies on the dollar compared to ESPN. ESPN charges customers of Dish, Direct TV, Camcost, Spectrum, etc upwards of $10 per TV set per month for their programming, lulz. Likewise, the sports teams will not make anything from distributors (conference contracts w/ESPN) which may be over 50% of their current revenue. They will be the distributors! The talking heads are going to be replaced by Youtube commentators. College Gameday is really a Youtube channel, they just don't know it yet. It's all going to meltdown soon.

ESPN=MTV

Last edited:

westx

Dec 6, 2009
The irony is Austin is the most”woke” city in ... anywhere but Berkeley? If these guys are unhappy here - good luck in Tuscaloosa. Which is the point - Saban has the respect of his players. Herman doesn’t.
Great point. Most to all of these young athletes are willing to overlook these learned angry principles if it means that they get to be a part of something they value or has future value. Examples are, as you stated, being part of a legendary coach's program like Saban, a QB or WR wanting to be part of Riley's offense, a DL at Clemson. These athletes will acquiese because there is something more important to them personally. In Texas' defense, no other university has the obstacles of internal destruction that bite the hand that feeds.

HornNation101

1986 UT Grad and OEF US Army Combat Veteran
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2011
Fredericksburg, Texas
The Eyes of Texas was never played at a Minstrel show. That is a falsehood that these BLM angry anarchists keep saying over and over. It is complete bullshvt.