ADVERTISEMENT

Official Closure Thread: Thank you Charlie

TheGivingTree

Sep 27, 2002
Lets get it all out on one thread.

If you were pro Strong or Anti Strong, none of that matters anymore. Were all on the same page now.

Let's face facts, Strong was left with an awful situation. He got things headed towards progress. He made mistakes (many) along the way. The man has failures as a football HEAD coach (at a school like Texas) but he was a great representative of our University.

Lets thank him for what he's done because this program is set up for success and the argument about whether or not he could take the next step doesn't matter anymore.

Now is the time to look to the future and be excited.

Lets get it all out on one thread.

If you were pro Strong or Anti Strong, none of that matters anymore. Were all on the same page now.

Let's face facts, Strong was left with an awful situation. He got things headed towards progress. He made mistakes (many) along the way. The man has failures as a football HEAD coach (at a school like Texas) but he was a great representative of our University.

Lets thank him for what he's done because this program is set up for success and the argument about whether or not he could take the next step doesn't matter anymore.

Now is the time to look to the future and be excited.
How has everyone convinced themselves that the program was in horrible shape when Strong took over? They went 8-5 the year before he took over. Last year's graduating class was ranked in the top 2 when it was signed.
"Oh how am I supposed to get anything done with a top 3 recruiting class?"

I too really wanted you to succeed and the pathos on your face tonight has made my eyes a bit misty. BEST of luck in your next job!

Reactions: diadevic
In all honesty I never felt like the guy that replaced Mack was going to be the guy that got us back. Felt like it was going to be the next guy. I just felt like the situation was pretty bad(worse than anyone wanted to admit) and in some ways never really got better. The next coach will get the credit for bringing us back, but Charlie deserves a big share of it. I think he will be a HC agsin and dona great job. I actually think Notre Dame, or Tennessee should consider him. Maybe Kansas to if they are wanting to take football seriously.

Reactions: TheGivingTree
How has everyone convinced themselves that the program was in horrible shape when Strong took over? They went 8-5 the year before he took over. Last year's graduating class was ranked in the top 2 when it was signed.

The program was not in a good spot. I think it's obvious. The NFL has wanted nothing to do with Texas players for 5 seasons. The Qb position was a mess... We could go on and on about where this program in Mack's final years but thats another thread. For all Charlie's failures he did some things and that's what this thread is about. That and the fact that we're on the up and up and need to be on the same page as a fanbase

In all honesty I never felt like the guy that replaced Mack was going to be the guy that got us back. Felt like it was going to be the next guy. I just felt like the situation was pretty bad(worse than anyone wanted to admit) and in some ways never really got better. The next coach will get the credit for bringing us back, but Charlie deserves a big share of it. I think he will be a HC agsin and dona great job. I actually think Notre Dame, or Tennessee should consider him. Maybe Kansas to if they are wanting to take football seriously.
Nah only the coAch that coaches it deserves the credit. Strong will get none and be remembered as the worst coach this program ever saw. We didn't credit mackovic when Mack turned 4-7 to 9-4. Lastly, none of those schools would even listen to strong. Just look at how he did here.

Nah only the coAch that coaches it deserves the credit. Strong will get none and be remembered as the worst coach this program ever saw. We didn't credit mackovic when Mack turned 4-7 to 9-4. Lastly, none of those schools would even listen to strong. Just look at how he did here.
The outside narrative is Charlie got a raw deal here. You can like thatbor not. Agree with it or not but that's the outside Texas perception. He will get another job. Hell Charlie wise got two jobs, lane kiffen has had 3 lol

The outside narrative is Charlie got a raw deal here. You can like thatbor not. Agree with it or not but that's the outside Texas perception. He will get another job. Hell Charlie wise got two jobs, lane kiffen has had 3 lol
nobody is saying he got a raw deal outside of texas. Even more proof of it today . He has had top recruiting classes and still gone through how many assistants ? He has had full upper admin support. He has had every tool at his disposal. Nope....his record is his....all his.

He dug his own grave with his own dumb decisions. He may get hired at position coach somewhere I agree. I hope no one takes him.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that the program will face serious repercussions from the failure of Coach Strong's tenure as coach.

Way to focus on the big picture.
That is the big picture...this is the state of our program. We are now looking at a new coach and a couple year rebuilding of the program....Again.....Charlie has set this program back years...

Hell... Charlie should be fired for endangering the safety of Foreman. what goddam gameplan gives one guy the ball 51 times?????

Reactions: thornie1
He dug his own grave with his own dumb decisions. He may get hired at position coach somewhere I agree. I hope no one takes him.
Why wish him ill will? He is a good man. It didn't work out, that's all.

The program was not in horrible shape as far as talent goes, but it was in horrible shape as far as there being too much entitlement among the players and too much drug use. Charlie made this a talentless team by kicking off a lot of important players. Losing our QB sealed the deal for this team.

After all this happened this became a huge rebuilding process. Charlie wasn't up to the task of rebuilding, but I thank him for putting us on the course.

I could make a list of all of Charlie's failures, but I won't. His record speaks for itself. Charlie didn't get a raw deal.

Very low class. I wish only the best for Charlie Strong, he is a good man.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that the program will face serious repercussions from the failure of Coach Strong's tenure as coach.

Winning cures all.

Why wish him ill will? He is a good man. It didn't work out, that's all.

BINGO, Charlie failed to win games, but he was a successful recruiter, a great leader and teacher, and he set a fantastic level of personal responsibility for these young men. I'm sorry he wasn't successful on the field, but I thank him for the job and effort he gave.

I live way outside Texas and the football fans here think he had plenty of time to show he could get it done. Many of my friends know I am a huge Texas fan and they tell me all the time he was not the coach for Texas. You want it to be true but it ain't.

there was a lot of quit at Kansas, and that makes me believe the next coach will not have it so easy, and that some of the players are not close to what we thought they were ... hard for a tiger to change stripes

Mack left this program in complete chaos. At least the next coach will have talented players and hopefully he knows how to use them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT