ADVERTISEMENT

*** Official TEXAS vs Purple Baylor Football thread***

This.

Until Texas can lineup and convert 3-2 on a consistent basis, we will never be where we want. As good as Bijan and Rojo are, you can't be successful when you are dodging defenders behind the line of scrimmage.
A lot of that is teams selling out to stop the run. They know Quinn can't beat them with his arm. It's hard to run the ball when teams are putting 7 to 8 guys in the box consistently. This year was always going to be a struggle starting 2 true freshman and 2 sophomores.

Just got through re watching the game and my 1 big takeaway is that the defense played it's ass off. One guy that really stood out to me was Terrance Brooks. He did a hell of a job all night and i'm not so sure that I would go back with Jamison if he's healthy next week. The defensive line kicked TCU's offensive line's ass all night pretty much except for that one long run Miller had. If you take away that 75 yard run he had he was at 3.1 yards per carry.

It's really frustrating because this team is so damn close to being a really good team. I just don't have any faith Sark is the guy to get us over the hump.

That one big run was on Dorsey and whoever the sideline safety was...can't remember. Bad fits

Kudos for watching that game again, lol.

A lot of that is teams selling out to stop the run. They know Quinn can't beat them with his arm. It's hard to run the ball when teams are putting 7 to 8 guys in the box consistently. This year was always going to be a struggle starting 2 true freshman and 2 sophomores.

My man...7 guys in the box isn't why we can't lock up the dudes we're supposed to block. 7 guys in the box isn't why there are dudes in the backfield when a RB gets a handoff.

QB misses guys, but WR need to get separation or at least win a 50/50 once in a while. Drops don't help. I didn't see hardly and quick throws called Saturday, whether they were to the sideline or from the slot. Saw a lot of vertical routes...a lot.

My man...7 guys in the box isn't why we can't lock up the dudes we're supposed to block. 7 guys in the box isn't why there are dudes in the backfield when a RB gets a handoff.

QB misses guys, but WR need to get separation or at least win a 50/50 once in a while. Drops don't help. I didn't see hardly and quick throws called Saturday, whether they were to the sideline or from the slot. Saw a lot of vertical routes...a lot.
The quick throws they did use were successful. Whittington had a couple of nice plays off the screen plays. That's why it was so maddening to see them just completely get away from it. Brennan Thompson has elite track speed. The one time Sark decided to use him against Ok St. he picks up 40 yards on a screen pass and we haven't seen him since. Savion Red has had a couple of nice picks ups as well. I just don't get it.

I hate to say it but I think this team is 9-1 with Tom Herman as the coach. From what I saw I think this loss is on Sark for the most part.

Reactions: weevilcatch
The quick throws they did use were successful. Whittington had a couple of nice plays off the screen plays. That's why it was so maddening to see them just completely get away from it. Brennan Thompson has elite track speed. The one time Sark decided to use him against Ok St. he picks up 40 yards on a screen pass and we haven't seen him since. Savion Red has had a couple of nice picks ups as well. I just don't get it.

I hate to say it but I think this team is 9-1 with Tom Herman as the coach. From what I saw I think this loss is on Sark for the most part.

Texas doesn't have a lot of those offensive skill/OL guys if Herman is at Texas though. So I guess it is moot.

Texas doesn't have a lot of those offensive skill/OL guys if Herman is at Texas though. So I guess it is moot.
Ya I guess that is very true. But I just feel like with this current constructed roster that Herman would do a better job of utilizing this talent. I can't remember Herman having any big games like the one from Saturday and just getting absolutely embarrassed though. I'm just so over Sark at this point. He just doesn't seem to get it.

Another thing I was going to note was that the one drive DJ Campbell came in was the drive we went down the field and got 3 points. I didn't realize that until I watched it again this morning. May be time to give some of these younger guys an opportunity on the line.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Ya I guess that is very true. But I just feel like with this current constructed roster that Herman would do a better job of utilizing this talent. I can't remember Herman having any big games like the one from Saturday and just getting absolutely embarrassed though. I'm just so over Sark at this point. He just doesn't seem to get it.

Another thing I was going to note was that the one drive DJ Campbell came in was the drive we went down the field and got 3 points. I didn't realize that until I watched it again this morning. May be time to give some of these younger guys an opportunity on the line.

DJ Campbell played 12 snaps. PFF graded him an 80 in pass pro. Way, way above what we have seen from our guards.

Reactions: Hoookem722
Why over the last 3 games have we moved away from slants, RPOs, screens bubble routes...jet sweeps ( we ran one last week)...

These things get the ball in your play makers hands and help put a young QB in rhythm. Gather some confidence. It just blows my mind the plays that are called over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Highest graded run block was actually Cole Hutson at 63.9, which is, well, not good.

Christian Jones had the highest grade in Zone blocking scheme at 67.5, which still sucks.

We can't freaking run block man.
Run blocking was so atrocious. It's really weird. We ran the ball a lot better against Iowa State, Ok. St., and K State and their fronts are night and day better than TCU's.

Run blocking was so atrocious. It's really weird. We ran the ball a lot better against Iowa State, Ok. St., and K State and their fronts are night and day better than TCU's.
TCU didn't care about Ewers passing. Their LBs played up and didn't give us any room to run. That is what happens when we can't complete anything downfield.

We haven't graded even slightly above average in run blocking in any game this year. It was getting slightly better overall since the WVU game, but the TCU game was a huge step backward.

We haven't graded even slightly above average in run blocking in any game this year. It was getting slightly better overall since the WVU game, but the TCU game was a huge step backward.
I don’t always agree with PFF’s grades myself. I know there have been a couple of games where we controlled the LOS. Iowa State is the one that sticks out to me. That game winning drive we ran it right down their throat. The first half of the OSU and K State game as well. They just haven’t really 4 full quarters together yet.

I don’t always agree with PFF’s grades myself. I know there have been a couple of games where we controlled the LOS. Iowa State is the one that sticks out to me. That game winning drive we ran it right down their throat. The first half of the OSU and K State game as well. They just haven’t really 4 full quarters together yet.

The only grades I would trust 100% we unfortunately don't have access too, lol. That would be Flood's :)

So PFF it is. If I had more time I would critique every offensive snap, but I have to teach these clowns government

Reactions: Hoookem722
I feel like we go through this every year or almost every week. Idk what Sark don't see that we can or not focusing on.
Sark has a ego..which i like...but if he doesn't get it in check..and back to more "confident" level than a arrogant lvl..it will be the end of him.

Herman was an egotistical clown. Sark falls nowhere in that category. I would call Sark more stubborn if anything. He’s an extremely likeable guy, Tom was not.
stubborn and ego go hand in hand...the difference is SO far sark hasn't let it get the best of him..like Herman...yet..

I love that Sark gave Whittington credit for providing a spark in the second half. Lol. Hey coach, guess what, it was there to be had all game. Not only Whittington, but Sanders too could’ve had huge games. It was there.

How do I know? Because TCU was loading the box AND doubling Worthy all over the field, meaning they didn’t have the personnel to stop those two. Would’ve been nice to find that out, instead of your hard headed ass flat out fvcking wasting every other play with yet another and afvckingnother utterly futile derp ball attempt to Worthy.

They knew exactly what you were going to do, and knew that you were too stupid to change what you wanted to do.

I’ve been on your side, but this shit has to stop. You’re not giving Ewers a fair chance to be the guy this way, and if he’s not the guy, you better recognize it and move on, or risk going down with the ship. That is fvcking all.

All this talk on the OL. You may have some points. But, at least, Ewers ended TCU's run of injuring opponents QBs. Got hit a few, got his backside dirty, but finished the game. Gotta give the OL some kudos for that, at least.
A good off season along with strength conditioning, they'll be a lot better. I'm not jumping off this ship, yet.🤘

I love that Sark gave Whittington credit for providing a spark in the second half. Lol. Hey coach, guess what, it was there to be had all game. Not only Whittington, but Sanders too could’ve had huge games. It was there.

How do I know? Because TCU was loading the box AND doubling Worthy all over the field, meaning they didn’t have the personnel to stop those two. Would’ve been nice to find that out, instead of your hard headed ass flat out fvcking wasting every other play with yet another and afvckingnother utterly futile derp ball attempt to Worthy.

They knew exactly what you were going to do, and knew that you were too stupid to change what you wanted to do.

I’ve been on your side, but this shit has to stop. You’re not giving Ewers a fair chance to be the guy this way, and if he’s not the guy, you better recognize it and move on, or risk going down with the ship. That is fvcking all.
I would say that's subjective. Most passes there's a primary read and then you have your secondary reads. It's up to Quinn to decide who he throws the ball too. Just because he locks in on Worthy and force feeds him the ball doesn't mean there isn't other guys who are in his progressions. I think Quinn deserves some blame on this one. He's locking in Xavier and not looking at his secondary reads.

The one thing Sark can do to help him is start throwing some more screens. Give him some high percentage throws to let him get his confidence built up.

I've went back and watched every single game this year at least once over. Every time I go back I see multiple plays left out on the field only because Quinn wasn't seeing the field well. That wheel route he missed to Bijan the other night is a perfect example. That was a lay up and he just flat out missed it. There's been 4 or 5 of those from each games that have been missed.

Bottom line is there's plays there to be made from what i'm seeing but Quinn is still young and not seeing the field well. A little bit of it has to do with the shaky interior of our offensive line.

TCU didn't care about Ewers passing. Their LBs played up and didn't give us any room to run. That is what happens when we can't complete anything downfield.
I really wonder if Quinn really does have a hurt throwing hand/finger or something, and that perhaps TCU somehow knew it coming into the game.

I would say that's subjective. Most passes there's a primary read and then you have your secondary reads. It's up to Quinn to decide who he throws the ball too. Just because he locks in on Worthy and force feeds him the ball doesn't mean there isn't other guys who are in his progressions. I think Quinn deserves some blame on this one. He's locking in Xavier and not looking at his secondary reads.

The one thing Sark can do to help him is start throwing some more screens. Give him some high percentage throws to let him get his confidence built up.

I've went back and watched every single game this year at least once over. Every time I go back I see multiple plays left out on the field only because Quinn wasn't seeing the field well. That wheel route he missed to Bijan the other night is a perfect example. That was a lay up and he just flat out missed it. There's been 4 or 5 of those from each games that have been missed.

Bottom line is there's plays there to be made from what i'm seeing but Quinn is still young and not seeing the field well. A little bit of it has to do with the shaky interior of our offensive line.

That wheel route were he "missed" Bijan is not on Quinn. Bijan was the #1 read. He was covered up initially. Sanders was the #2 read. By time the defender fell down and lost track of Bijan, Quinn had already moved on and delivered a 1st down to his secondary read.

Now, could Quinn have waited just a tick longer? Maybe, but then we blame him for being too slow in his progression if he were to take a sack, or allows the defense to cover up the secondary read.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reactions: hookem777
All this talk on the OL. You may have some points. But, at least, Ewers ended TCU's run of injuring opponents QBs. Got hit a few, got his backside dirty, but finished the game. Gotta give the OL some kudos for that, at least.
A good off season along with strength conditioning, they'll be a lot better. I'm not jumping off this ship, yet.🤘

Pass pro was slightly above average vs. TCU except the RG. He was piss pour.

That wheel route were he "missed" Bijan is not on Quinn. Bijan was the #1 read. He was covered up initially. Sanders was the #2 read. By time the defender fell down and lost track of Bijan, Quinn had already moved on and delivered a 1st down to his secondary read.

Now, could Quinn have waited just a tick longer? Maybe, but then we blame him for being too slow in his progression if he were to take a sack, or allows the defense to cover up the secondary read.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Bijan had a step on that defender and no safety help over the top. He should have made that throw before the defender even fell. If he puts a little air under that ball that's 6 either way. I'm just saying there's been some plays there to be made and they haven't executed. Not letting Sark off the hook all the way but he has put them in position to make some plays at times and they just haven't delivered. I think sometimes that gets lost in the mix.

Bijan had a step on that defender and no safety help over the top. He should have made that throw before the defender even fell. If he puts a little air under that ball that's 6 either way. I'm just saying there's been some plays there to be made and they haven't executed. Not letting Sark off the hook all the way but he has put them in position to make some plays at times and they just haven't delivered. I think sometimes that gets lost in the mix.

Generally wheel routes are all or nothing, not a throw it up route and hope your guy beats the other guy. The route combos off of the wheel are meant to occupy the vacated area if the wheel is covered.

So, I'm going to disagree slightly here. I'll concede that Quinn could've waited a tick longer, but I'm also not calling this a "miss"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT