ADVERTISEMENT

Oh nooooo.....we suck again

As much as I dislike Tom Herman and I’m probably his number 1 hater once Urban said no this was what was going to happen. Reality is there aren’t a lot of great options out there and no one out there that won’t be out there next year. Play out the year and maybe take another run at Urban Meyer see if his mind changes

Hey.....if you think the football is gonna be bad, wait until you get a load of the recruiting....

Want to know what it looks like when a culture of a university is destroyed?
Want to know what it looks like when you're all alone on your own island and can't even GIVE AWAY your head coaching job to a viable candidate?
Want to know what it looks like when hire the people in administration that virtue signal your university into a hole that it may never get out of?
Want to know what it looks like when we allow billionaire boosters (some that didn't even ATTEND the University of Texas) try and dictate policy?

Take a photo. This is who Texas is now.

“[W]ill be” are the operative words. Meaning it may or may not be true. I’m not interesting in a 3-5 year trial and error experiment.
Well that’s what your going to get. There is just no reason for most coaches to leave their jobs if they are at a pier 5 school anymore.

Well that’s what your going to get. There is just no reason for most coaches to leave their jobs if they are at a pier 5 school anymore.
For once we agree on something ... there’s no reason for a top tier coach to leave their current gig for the hot mess we’ve become.

Want to know what it looks like when you're all alone on your own island and can't even GIVE AWAY your head coaching job to a viable candidate?
Want to know what it looks like when hire the people in administration that virtue signal your university into a hole that it may never get out of?
Want to know what it looks like when we allow billionaire boosters (some that didn't even ATTEND the University of Texas) try and dictate policy?

I don’t think it’s just about the culture at Texas. I do think it’s an issue, for a number of different reasons, but I also think there is a much simpler reason that isn’t unique to Texas. The money is so good at the power 5 level that money is no longer the primary reason coaches change jobs anyone.

so the idea if “we’re Texas we’re just gonna write a check for whoever we want” may or worked before. Doesn’t work now. The money isnt enough of a difference maker anymore to deal with all the other BS that goes along with it.

hard to imagine its back to this. Someone actually got paid for that decision too.

On to another season of mediocrity.

Not only did CDC Fvck us with the extension for Herman (now 15 million to fire him), he also allowed Herman to hire 7 new assistants to do the job for him (add another 10 million) = 25 million.
Now no one can be fired without breaking the bank. Just like Shaka's extension protected him from being replaced.
But when is the last time we had a FB or BB coach voluntarily walk away?

For once we agree on something ... there’s no reason for a top tier coach to leave their current gig for the hot mess we’ve become.
I dont think it’s unique to Texas though. I think it’s true of a lot of the top programs. Matt Campbell for example makes 3.5 million at Iowa state. Pretty much has the job as long as he wants it. Money from any school isn’t going to be the reason he leaves.

honest question because I really don’t know the answer. Who was the last power 5 coach to leave for another power 5 job? I think it’s been awhile. Jumbo to A&M and then before that?

Not only did CDC Fvck us with the extension for Herman (now 15 million to fire him), he also allowed Herman to hire 7 new assistants to do the job for him (add another 10 million) = 25 million.
Now no one can be fired without breaking the bank. Just like Shaka's extension protected him from being replaced.
I don’t think the extension was really a factor here. The money for a buyout was there. The issue is the candidates to replace Herman were weak and they didn’t want to make change for the sake of change.

I dont think it’s unique to Texas though. I think it’s true of a lot of the top programs. Matt Campbell for example makes 3.5 million at Iowa state. Pretty much has the job as long as he wants it. Money from any school isn’t going to be the reason he leaves.

honest question because I really don’t know the answer. Who was the last power 5 coach to leave for another power 5 job? I think it’s been awhile.
With all due respect, I don’t give a rat’s a$& what is happening at other programs or when a coach has or has not left another program. Our culture is so toxic that we are radioactive. No one will touch us.

Last edited:

No denying this. Sad, very sad.

This can be laid at Chris Del Conte's feet. He has been here long enough to set the culture. Herman needs to be restrained. He can take away his headset and be held away from any decisions on offense. Ash and Yurcich are serviceable. CDC may be a little soft.

honest question because I really don’t know the answer. Who was the last power 5 coach to leave for another power 5 job? I think it’s been awhile. Jumbo to A&M and then before that?

Dan Mullen, Miss State to Florida?

Mike Leach
Dan Mullen
James Franklin
Paul Chryst
Jimbo Fisher

The list is pretty short

Mike Leach
Dan Mullen
James Franklin
Paul Chryst
Jimbo Fisher

The list is pretty short
[/QUOTE]
Good list...
Paul Chryst- went to his Alma mater

Dan Mullen- had a connection to UF

James Franklin was at maybe the worst power 5 job in the country before going to PSU? If Vandy isn’t the worst it’s up there

Mike Leach walks to his own drummer

so reallyJimbo was really the only guy that truly took a huge money deal to jump from once school to another and had no real other reason to. So seems to me one of the problemsTexas has is there isn’t a lot of coaches out there with ties to the University that are going to be drawn to it for anything other than money, or they are just sick of where they are.

I guess I've not paid attention but I guess I wasn't aware that assistant coaches had buyout clauses as well.

Here's the question: Does Herman ask Ehlinger to come back?

Somewhere between No and Hell No. I hope that next year Ehlinger is not the best QB on the team even if he comes back.
The same way Kerstetter was not the best center this year....

Somewhere between No and Hell No. I hope that next year Ehlinger is not the best QB on the team even if he comes back.
The same way Kerstetter was not the best center this year....
Who is the backup or heir apparent? Did any other qb see any action this year? I don't remember it if they did.

Mike Leach
Dan Mullen
James Franklin
Paul Chryst
Jimbo Fisher

The list is pretty short
Good list...
Paul Chryst- went to his Alma mater

Dan Mullen- had a connection to UF

James Franklin was at maybe the worst power 5 job in the country before going to PSU? If Vandy isn’t the worst it’s up there

Mike Leach walks to his own drummer

so reallyJimbo was really the only guy that truly took a huge money deal to jump from once school to another and had no real other reason to. So seems to me one of the problemsTexas has is there isn’t a lot of coaches out there with ties to the University that are going to be drawn to it for anything other than money, or they are just sick of where they are.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have to discredit any of the moves on your list. Your point was supported with such a small one anyway.

Chryst leaves Pitt for Wis anyway
Mullen leaves MSU for UF anyway
Vandy job > Kansas, Rutgers, Illinois, Oregon St.
Leach still left a P5 for a marginal SEC school

Unfortunately we are stuck with Tom and hope he can change as a person, coach, etc. So here's to 8-5 every year and 18-25th ranked recruiting classes!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT