ADVERTISEMENT

Open Practice notes

I should say Swoopes missing on the long passes; 10-15 USD are pretty good although his short receivers are having to jump a bit

Disappointing on Heard, guess he isn't running so all there is to see are his throws which are Gilbert-esque

As for today's open practice, there weren't many misses in 7 on 7. Some nice snags, PBU and Int's. WR sets are wide and the trickery is on with Heard in gloves and Swoopes going out for and dropping a TD pass.

Reactions: bozans
Please no.

I'm guessing they will play both against ND. Probably use every formation, trick play, packages, etc against ND to try to trick them.

It's no secret ND gets burned on trick plays & long plays.
If you go back & watch ND under BVG, nobody drives down the field on them. But EVERYBODY (even UMASS, BC, WF etc) scores on trick or long plays. Its because BVG's scheme is so complicated it is easy for the players to blow assignments.

I expect Texas to throw the kitchen sink at ND to score points.

Reactions: bozans
I'm guessing they will play both against ND. Probably use every formation, trick play, packages, etc against ND to try to trick them.

It's no secret ND gets burned on trick plays & long plays.
If you go back & watch ND under BVG, nobody drives down the field on them. But EVERYBODY (even UMASS, BC, WF etc) scores on trick or long plays. Its because BVG's scheme is so complicated it is easy for the players to blow assignments.

I expect Texas to throw the kitchen sink at ND to score points.

If we use both, it won't be because Swoopes is coming in for trick plays. That's not how he was used after he lost the starting job.
I've been saying it since Strong rushed to Swoopes' defense after the spring game...Strong is scared to make the change. He's trying to give Swoopes a chance to win the job. Luckily, at least for now he isn't showing any practice heroics. Swoopes' ceiling is low, that is just reality.
Strong wants to be conservative and safe on offense, and there isn't much conservative or safe about starting a true freshman. From every single report I've seen though, its his best option. The faster he names Buchele the starter, and ends the splitting of first team reps, the better off the team will be.

If we use both, it won't be because Swoopes is coming in for trick plays. That's not how he was used after he lost the starting job.
I've been saying it since Strong rushed to Swoopes' defense after the spring game...Strong is scared to make the change. He's trying to give Swoopes a chance to win the job. Luckily, at least for now he isn't showing any practice heroics. Swoopes' ceiling is low, that is just reality.
Strong wants to be conservative and safe on offense, and there isn't much conservative or safe about starting a true freshman. From every single report I've seen though, its his best option. The faster he names Buchele the starter, and ends the splitting of first team reps, the better off the team will be.
I don't agree with this assessment and I expect him to be named this week. Trick plays will be on the menu with Swoopes and Heard. Strong, SCARED to make a change? Who is selling you that garbage?

Strong is scared to make the change. He's trying to give Swoopes a chance to win the job. Luckily, at least for now he isn't showing any practice heroics. Swoopes' ceiling is low, that is just reality.
Strong wants to be conservative and safe on offense, and there isn't much conservative or safe about starting a true freshman.
If this is true, and I have no reason to believe it is or isn't, (a) I can't believe the new OC signed on for this, and (b) Strong is writing his own obituary. I dare say he will get more of a leash with his bosses in going 5-7 and letting Buechele fight through the growing pains than 7-5 or 6-6 riding Swoopes.

I don't agree with this assessment and I expect him to be named this week. Trick plays will be on the menu with Swoopes and Heard. Strong, SCARED to make a change? Who is selling you that garbage?

Agree. He basically fired Watson after game 1 of last year, and gutted his offensive staff. If he's scared of change, he's at least facing his fears.

Sorry. Strong is showing respect to Seniors that stuck with it during the staff change and worked hard after.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Thanks for all that info.

I saw that top 20 list. There is no way that Mason Rudolph deserves to be in the top 40 much less the top 10.

Sorry. Strong is showing respect to Seniors that stuck with it during the staff change and worked hard after.

It's possible Strong has already made the decision but why make it public so early. With the practices this weekend being open to the public, it's possible Strong trotted Swoopes out there first just to not show his hand. The longer he keeps it under wraps the shorter amount of time ND has to hone in on UTs starter (though, I'm sure they see the writing on the wall as much as we do).

they may see the writing on the wall.....but they will have damned little film on him. How is knowing his name going to help em?

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
First closed practice and Heard is shagging balls in 7 on 7 as well as 11 on 11. Those gloves have a purpose!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT