ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions welcomed

It’s coaching. You yourself have said on this board what a great job Patterson does with less talent. Take OU’s defense. Our defense is comprised of approx 95% of the same players from last year but what has changed? Why are we a top 50 defense rather than 107th like last year? Grinch. Plain and simple.

Gallimore was there last year starting, Murray was starting, Perkins was starting. Did any of those guys stand out to you last year? I and many others wanted Murray benched.The only different personnel on D we have this year is our OLB White and one of our safeties, Turner-Yell.Both of those guys got playing time last year too. We have been getting a true freshman some time at corner too but he’s not a starter. So, Grinch isn’t having to get “his guys” before showing improvements he’s improving the exact same players we’ve had.
That’s a neat story about YOUR team, mixed in with hyperbole. For OU it’s both a coaching and personnel improvement. Shocking. Murray was always a badass and Galamore, Perkins and the rest are a year older, experienced, and better.

Texas is an entirely different boat than Oklahoma right now and you can’t just do an apples to apples comparison.

DJ I’m simply responding to the posts in this thread. I post here everyday. Since OU played Texas and there seems to be bewilderment about why Texas lost and how OU’s defense is improved etc. I feel qualified to respond. If you don’t want to respond to my posts, then don’t. Nothing inflammatory whatsoever or derailing about them. Just dealing in facts DJ.....

It's not bewilderment to how gooner won. It's what are our issues and how can they be fixed.

Noting the youth we have on defense is not making excuses for their poor play or slighting the paperclip It's an observation that with time, they should improve.

Identifying the weakness of the RB position is not to discredit the performance of the gooner defense. We had a guy transfer, a guy that has never been able to stay healthy, a guy that fumbles everytime you look at him, a guy have a stroke, and I guy that appears incapable of internalizing. Those are the facts, regardless of recruiting rankings.

Observing that our entire front 7 has been replaced is not an excuse for them being pushed around yesterday, but an acknowledgment that with more seasoning, they will get better.

I apologize if our evaluation of our team doesn't do enough to acknowledge the vast superiority of Lincoln Riley or gooner football. That was not the conversation we were having.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Your right the human doesn't mature physically, mentally, an emotionally between the ages of 18-21.
All of the players on the field yesterday were the exact same as they were last year at this time.
@Belldozer1 gets it...Mike Stoops was one of the worst DC's in all of CFB the last several years...those of you who think OU is ruthless and fires coaches at the drop of a hat go look up where OU's defense ranked the last 3-4 years. Biggest knock on Riley is his inability to nut up to Bob and can his washed up brother (and several on his staff whose units consistently under performed). Mike is now in the Nick Saban Coaches Rehabilitation Program if you didn't know.

Time will tell if Grinch is actually that much better than Mike or if there just wasn't enough info on what he likes to do for UT to prepare/adjust. But those kids listed above are mature guys that have only been in his system for a few months, they are very much the same dudes you saw last season.

Reactions: Belldozer1
OU missed several opportunities and game was not as close as the score. Big XII Championship will be worse for horns! #hornsdown!

Reactions: Heisennberg
OU missed several opportunities and game was not as close as the score. Big XII Championship will be worse for horns! #hornsdown!

You sound like Texas fans last year...you know when you clowns were actually down by 21.

I swear you people are dumb as ****. It is alarming how incredibly biased, hypocritical and morally bankrupt most sooner fans are. Quite a few good ones, but that obviously is not you.

You sound like Texas fans last year...you know when you clowns were actually down by 21.

I swear you people are dumb as ****. It is alarming how incredibly biased, hypocritical and morally bankrupt most sooner fans are. Quite a few good ones, but that obviously is not you.

We are Texas fans on a Texas site and we can't have a discussion about our own team, without being accused of making excuses or not giving their coaching staff enough credit.

Let's get back on topic here.

Three times the offense got the game within reach and 3 times the Texas D gave up 75 yard TD drives. Those three drives consisted of ONLY 14 plays.

225 yards on 14 plays when we really needed the defense to step up. That's 16 yards a freaking play.

So I ask again. What was the biggest factor in this? Orlando choke? Defense choke? Riley have an innate ability to focus in to call plays? Texas get conservative on D?

We are Texas fans on a Texas site and we can't have a discussion about our own team, without being accused of making excuses or not giving their coaching staff enough credit.

They insecure on Twitter as well. Hey OU fans, you kicked our ass. Now let us discuss why and talk shit in another thread. The narrative this year is the exact same as last year, just roles reversed. But they're to naive, or dumb to see it.

Let's get back on topic here.

Three times the offense got the game within reach and 3 times the Texas D gave up 75 yard TD drives. Those three drives consisted of ONLY 14 plays.

225 yards on 14 plays when we really needed the defense to step up. That's 16 yards a freaking play.

So I ask again. What was the biggest factor in this? Orlando choke? Defense choke? Riley have an innate ability to focus in to call plays? Texas get conservative on D?

For all this talk about how physical out practices are, we didn't tackle for shite on Saturday. It isn't just wrapping up. Instead of keeping our feet and running through the ball carrier, we dive at them.

We also do an extremely poor job of picking up receivers coming out of the backfield.

Finally, it is very difficult to defend an offense, when the QB is very effective at pulling the ball down and running. We had that on offense last year, but now we don't. How many times yesterday did Sam look indecisive and get caught in no man's land.

For all this talk about how physical out practices are, we didn't tackle for shite on Saturday. It isn't just wrapping up. Instead of keeping our feet and running through the ball carrier, we dive at them.

We also do an extremely poor job of picking up receivers coming out of the backfield.

Finally, it is very difficult to defend an offense, when the QB is very effective at pulling the ball down and running. We had that on offense last year, but now we don't. How many times yesterday did Sam look indecisive and get caught in no man's land.

Oklahoma had 286 yards on 52 plays in all other parts of the game except when Texas scored to tie it up at 10, to get within 3 at 20-17, an then back to within 7 at 27-20.

That is only 5.5 yards per play....4 yards less than what OU averages.

When Texas absolutely needed the D to get a stop, OU gained 225 yards on 14 plays.

That is 16.1 yards per play. That is a HUGE number.

I know the tackling was the biggest culprit. But what is the discrepancy? I mean, that is alarming to me.

Oklahoma had 286 yards on 52 plays in all other parts of the game except when Texas scored to tie it up at 10, to get within 3 at 20-17, an then back to within 7 at 27-20.

That is only 5.5 yards per play....4 yards less than what OU averages.

When Texas absolutely needed the D to get a stop, OU gained 225 yards on 14 plays.

That is 16.1 yards per play. That is a HUGE number.

I know the tackling was the biggest culprit. But what is the discrepancy? I mean, that is alarming to me.
Interesting.

Riley's play calling was odd Saturday - or perhaps Hurts didn't execute it well against the looks Texas showed. Without knowing the call (or more about CFB offense) and seeing coaches film view it's hard to tell.

It appeared to me UT wasn't going to give up the chunk play and that left the middle open for Jalen to pull the ball and run. Maybe Orlando knows that's not what Riley wants Hurts to do and felt he could frustrate OU?Whatever the strategy was OU's offense looked different for much of the day than it normally does. It'll be interesting to see if other teams use this tape to adjust how they play Hurts.

once Texas stopped opening up the middle on their pass rush like the dang red sea, hurts did little running. idk why it took them a qtr and change to figure that out. again, lamb makes them go. hurts is... okay

Reactions: q1w2e3

On the tackling issue, Herman was just asked this in today's presser. He took the blame for it and said he limited tackling in practice last week because of how banged up the defense was.

On the tackling issue, Herman was just asked this in today's presser. He took the blame for it and said he limited tackling in practice last week because of how banged up the defense was.

Can you really forget to tackle because you didnt practice tackling for a week? Seems odd. I mean I havent played at this level of course, but it just seems that players at this level should still be able to tackle well without practicing it for a week.
Interesting.

Riley's play calling was odd Saturday - or perhaps Hurts didn't execute it well against the looks Texas showed. Without knowing the call (or more about CFB offense) and seeing coaches film view it's hard to tell.

It appeared to me UT wasn't going to give up the chunk play and that left the middle open for Jalen to pull the ball and run. Maybe Orlando knows that's not what Riley wants Hurts to do and felt he could frustrate OU?Whatever the strategy was OU's offense looked different for much of the day than it normally does. It'll be interesting to see if other teams use this tape to adjust how they play Hurts.

I think a big part of it is that with this offense, with Hurts, they are doing more of a take what the defense gives you approach. Throughout the first part of the season, he'd throw it to 10 different guys, they'd have like 4 different rbs carry the ball, essentially not forcing anything and just taking what the defense is willing to give. Whereas with Mayfield and Murray they knew who they wanted to give the ball too and dared you to stop it. Much the same in this game, Riley sees what texas was trying to take away and tailoring the offensive game plan around that instead of forcing things. Which if it didnt work, im sure they'd have changed it up to being more forceful with the ball like they were in the instances in which OU needed a score to keep ahead of pace with texas. i think OU scored every time texas got close, when they really needed it. The defensive posturing really dictated the flow of the game. But it could have went the other way if the defenses got figured out.

Reactions: fatman76
Am I the only one that thinks that having CJ back in the line up hurt us? When CJ plays, Beck/Herman & Co. make it a point to get him involved or at least attempt to, to the detriment of the overall game plan. I know he is a really good receiver, and when healthy is probably one of the best in the country, but I think the offense becomes to predictable with CJ on the field. Obviously you don't take him off the field, but I think the coaching staff has to be more aware that they become fixated on getting him the ball.

No one on offense felt like blocking anyone, Sam didn't look like himself, the receivers dropped some big passes, stupid decisions on special teams gave us bad field position, and OU was more physical. That's why we lost, I don't care about schemes, coaching, and all that other stuff. We did not execute. End of story.

It's really hard in (college) football to beat the same team twice, I think. I don't have any data to support that, but it seems like the loser learns more from the loss and the winner tends to think, "Well, it worked so well last time."

At this point, getting back to the conf title game is going to require some great coaching and a little luck. The entire starting secondary, except for B. Johnson is gone. BJ Foster is obviously nowhere close to 100%. We are injured, banged up, and already thin at linebacker. To get the best remaining 11 on the field, Orlando may well have to use a four-man front (as so many wish he would do).

Reactions: freeper
Scipio Tex’s write-up on the game. Best analysis I’ve seen yet:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/pla...ahoma-game-sooners-longhorns-rivalry-gameplan
Scipio also had this to say in the comments section which unfortunately seems accurate:

We
1. Use DBs to set the edge from distance
2. Don’t spend much time on tackling and teach missile shots over breaking down
3. Get constant targeting calls
4. Have lots of stingers and shoulder injuries.

Those things might be related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT