ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Concealed Carry

Remember that a handgun only hits what it is aimed at....Most shots are misses....advantage buckshot....Also.....something to try out at the ranch.....You cannot practice this at a shooting range.....Try....just try pointing that gun to the side say at a cactus, and see what you hit....It doesnt work like it does on TV, just sayin.....
Lol at people that miss.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
in talking to my son about collateral damage....he said the police miss...not as much as most bad guys, but they do miss.

The army does studies all the time and they show that in a fire fight, less than 10% of the combatants (both sides) actually aim at a target. The rest are behind whatever they get behind and point around that and shoot. Think you would do better?....LOL...my ass

Ok, I'm a tight wad when it comes to this stuff. I hunt with a Remington 870 12 pump..... I want value. I hate paying range fees. The ranges I have visited seem a bit expensive so this is my biggest hurdle. My family has some land for hunting and may go out there to practice but it's a bit of a drive. Lot's of good recommendations on guns. I will look all of them up. I'll report on my findings. Thanks!

Because I am cheap and don't want to spend the money to buy a Glock or Springfield, I am Ruger guy. My current CC is the Ruger EC9. It is a gigantic improvement from the Ruger LC9 that I carried previously. They changed the firing action from a hammer action which makes the trigger pull a lot shorter.
As far as holsters go, I have two that I absolutely love. One is a Crossbreed Holster. Roto molded plastic specifically to your gun specs, with high grade leather. This one gives you the option to tuck your shirt in around it without hindering the drawing functionality. That was what I carried daily prior to getting into healthcare (can't carry at work now). The holster that I am currently using and really enjoy is from an outfit in Abilene. JM4 Holsters. High Quality leather with two rare earth magnets that allow you to carry regardless of what type of clothing you are wearing. The magnets go on either side of my waist band and hold secure in gym shorts, sweats, jeans, etc. The magnets hold the gun without any issues and when you are ready to draw, there is no drag from the magnet.

But as others have mentioned, go to the range and spend a lot of time getting familiar with whatever gun you choose. It does you no good if you have a weapon that you do not feel comfortable using.

What you carry depends on who you augmented. Could be glock 17, 19, 34, Sig 226 or H&K 45 if the mission calls for it. Pretty much all the military is Glock or moving towards it. Pretty sure SEALs are the last ones still using Sig's though.
Fresh--- met a guy over the weekend that was a UDT back in the late 70s and was part of the first group in 80 that formed DEVGRU. Nice guy with all the bona-fides, retired in 99 and then after 9-11 begged to get back down range- he was then hired as a GS13, he retired as an E9- to work with SOCOM and eventually was designated as a JSOC historian.
Dude has actual photos of the radio tower in Panama that he and his group went to capture. It was a really cool discussion over several beers. He was mostly central south America tdy's because he was Hispanic. Worked with FARC-- met Noriega-- just a fascinating guy.

He said he hung onto the historian job as long as he could because he loved being around the men and he still got to play with the toys from time to time.
He was telling me that for the last few years, the JSOC operators were begging the arms manufacturers to develop an M4 based platform that was no longer than X inches (I forget the actual number) long and weighed less than 5 pounds etc. And that the 300 blackout was the new round of choice but they wanted a system that could easily be switched out in the field to fire 5.56.

Now I get the ballistic differences on both those rounds-- and I get the need for rounds specific to situations (cqb vs long range engagements).
But what I don't get is this----- who's the sad soul that has to carry all that back up ammo and barrels and bolts--- do you guys bring some poor dude along from the 82nd to be your piss bucket boy?

And if you tell me you got to test out the Honey badger at Bragg one day I'm going to be super fvcking green with envy.

sit in the safe?...I have one hid in every room of the house....if I get crash invaded I dont intend to be the one surprised.....
I was just saying the same thing in my brain. The safe is where you put the browning over/unders and the .338 lapua and other big ass bolt actions that do you zero good in a home invasion. It doesn't matter what room I'm in---I could be in the guest bedroom closet--- don't come in my house uninvited.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I was just saying the same thing in my brain. The safe is where you put the browning over/unders and the .338 lapua and other big ass bolt actions that do you zero good in a home invasion. It doesn't matter what room I'm in---I could be in the guest bedroom closet--- don't come in my house uninvited.
With kids safes are a must. I can open within seconds with my eyes closed.

And the one within reach of my bed won't hold a bolt action, but the 23 and the XD fit quite nicely.

This is "kind of" on topic:

A-Short-Gun-Story.jpg

Fresh--- met a guy over the weekend that was a UDT back in the late 70s and was part of the first group in 80 that formed DEVGRU. Nice guy with all the bona-fides, retired in 99 and then after 9-11 begged to get back down range- he was then hired as a GS13, he retired as an E9- to work with SOCOM and eventually was designated as a JSOC historian.
Dude has actual photos of the radio tower in Panama that he and his group went to capture. It was a really cool discussion over several beers. He was mostly central south America tdy's because he was Hispanic. Worked with FARC-- met Noriega-- just a fascinating guy.

He said he hung onto the historian job as long as he could because he loved being around the men and he still got to play with the toys from time to time.
He was telling me that for the last few years, the JSOC operators were begging the arms manufacturers to develop an M4 based platform that was no longer than X inches (I forget the actual number) long and weighed less than 5 pounds etc. And that the 300 blackout was the new round of choice but they wanted a system that could easily be switched out in the field to fire 5.56.

Now I get the ballistic differences on both those rounds-- and I get the need for rounds specific to situations (cqb vs long range engagements).
But what I don't get is this----- who's the sad soul that has to carry all that back up ammo and barrels and bolts--- do you guys bring some poor dude along from the 82nd to be your piss bucket boy?

And if you tell me you got to test out the Honey badger at Bragg one day I'm going to be super fvcking green with envy.
82nd piss bucket boy...Ha! We generally had better 24/7 delivery than dominos. Just place an order and make sure the neighborhood doesn't know when or where your airpizza is delivered.
300blk was a sexy 7.62 dressed in 5.56 panties that throws down in a barn stall or down the road at the neighbors house. She shuts up when you slip a can on her mouth, fits in tight spaces, and light on her feet. Most importantly, she is easily swapped out for her faster louder sister without you having to add unnecessary baggage.

Honey Badger is old news. Kevin Brittingham from AAC started a new outfit called "Q", they already have a new toy. LWRCI makes an 8-inch direct impingement 300 aac blk.

Sounds like you met an ol' hardass too. Buy the man a beer and let him tell ya how he made spare boots from tire tread. ;)

Last edited:
Oklahoma just went permitless concealed carry. You have to be able to buy a gun legally of course. Kentucky just did the same.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Concealed carry.... I have been a hunter since a kid (shot guns and rifles) but have not had a lot of experience with handguns.

1. Best options for concealed carry... Best value - best quality etc...

2. Best way to conceal? Inside pants holster etc...

3. Looking for a gun that can be operated with on hand... off hand for knife.

Thanks in advance.

2300Nueces and All, the following YouTube video will teach you how to practice to become a good shot with a handgun:

In essence, you must learn to stop anticipating recoil, and that vid will help you do it. I started out as a Sig man, but your first shot with a P-226 will be an 8-9 lb double action pull and Glock makes all of your pulls the same, at 5.5lbs. Then, if you drop a McNally trigger into your Glock, it is even smother (and at about 3.5 lbs). https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/21/review-mcglock-mcnally-gen-4-glock-trigger/ Plus, Glock has a great range of modularity, e.g. you can change almost any model .40 S&W to a 9mm, by simply changing barrels and magazines.

p.s. The Garland police officer who used a .45ACP Glock to kill two Jihaddies, armed with AK-47s, was a perfect example of a single officer with a hand gun out-dueling two much better armed terrorists with rifles, and you can rest assured that he practiced a lot more than they did. A man with a handgun normally does not win against a man with a long gun, and especially, two men with long guns.

Sig Sauer has a new. compact out called a M18. May want to check it out. Not sure of the dimensions or reviews but I’m sure it’s probably pretty reliable, coming from Sig.

Last edited:
As a former SIG and SIG Sauer fanatic (and still a fanatic for all of the ones I own), SIG Sauer is a very far cry from what it used to be.

CEO Ron Cohen has applied his Kimber playbook in full and all but ruined that company for many of us long-time owners/fans, as he trades on its previously hard-earned reputation to sell products that don’t come close to pre-2004 quality.

These particular models, like almost all new SIG Sauer models, have already had plenty of teething problems. Plenty of better options, in my opinion.

As a former SIG and SIG Sauer fanatic (and still a fanatic for all of the ones I own), SIG Sauer is a very far cry from what it used to be.

CEO Ron Cohen has applied his Kimber playbook in full and all but ruined that company for many of us long-time owners/fans, as he trades on its previously hard-earned reputation to sell products that don’t come close to pre-2004 quality.

These particular models, like almost all new SIG Sauer models, have already had plenty of teething problems. Plenty of better options, in my opinion.

That's good info to know, BBR. I have been out of the gun business since 1994, so I know a lot has changed since then. My old partner, Shawn Nelms, and I, used to co-own Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas. I was working in IT, so I was rarely there, but Shawn held the FFL, and he used to run two crews a weekend at all of the gun shows across Texas. He retired in 2016, but he used to be one of the largest distributors in the U.S., through retail, wholesale, and gun shows, for instance, when Colt declared Chapter 11 in 2014, he bought 7000 Colt AR-15s, the largest civilian sale Colt had made up to that time.

That's good info to know, BBR. I have been out of the gun business since 1994, so I know a lot has changed since then. My old partner, Shawn Nelms, and I, used to co-own Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas. I was working in IT, so I was rarely there, but Shawn held the FFL, and he used to run two crews a weekend at all of the gun shows across Texas. He retired in 2016, but he used to be one of the largest distributors in the U.S., through retail, wholesale, and gun shows, for instance, when Colt declared Chapter 11 in 2014, he bought 7000 Colt AR-15s, the largest civilian sale Colt had made up to that time.
DANG that’s a lot of AR’s

Holy hell! What belldozer said!

7000 ARs?

That dude is my new best friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT