ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HBO Joe Paterno Movie

Were you at the Hoity Toit today by any chance. I saw this sweet ride there today and was wondering if perhaps it might be yours? When I saw it I was thinking that Clob is pretty clever, first he'll lure some barroom bunny to his crib with his bike then have her cut the grass before she leaves in the morning.
1CwMLxG.png

Last edited:
I will spare you the embarrassment of explaining to the rest of the lobby the "caliber" of folks that frequent the hoity toit.........

Make better choices....

Were you at the Hoity Toit today by any chance. I saw this sweet ride there today and was wondering if perhaps it might be yours? When I saw it I was thinking that Clob is pretty clever, first he'll lure some barroom bunny to his crib with his bike then have her cut the grass before she leaves in the morning.
1CwMLxG.png

I'm watching this and......... its fvcking painful to watch.

When did it premier? I'm going to watch it on demand. None other than Al Pacino is playing Paterno.

You know Joe Paterno went out of his way to promote his by the book image. Squeaky clean. But the cat has come out of the bag and its not just Jerry Sandusky. And some of his players didn't like him, Matt Millen being among them.

I didn’t say I was there, I just saw this bike out front of it. I think I’ve been in that place one time back in the 90’s.

I just got through watching the movie. Al Pacino was good as Paterno he's good in any movie he's in.

But the movie made my wife uncomfortable can you blame her? Basically it's the last three months of JP's life but this movie shows a Paterno who was nowhere near the honorable, righteous, man his admirers made him out to be. And the thing of it is was that Paterno helped to build that image. It shows a man who was in denial about Jerry Sandusky not just the scandal but for 20 years. He was a sad, even pathetic man at the end.

This makes it hard for me to remember that Joe Paterno was a giant among the great coaches on college fb. The reaction of their students and fans reminded me of the Baylor people when Briles was fired. Pathetic.

Paterno whinned like a little bitch after Texas won the Natty in 1969......he cried how it wasnt fair...his team also was undefeated.....Penn State should have won instead....sniff, sniff.

Never mind that Penn State turned down the Cotton Bowl, instead opting for the Orange bowl.....He could have played Texas.....and Texas wanted Penn State BADDD!!!
His excuse....he thought Arkansas was going to beat Texas. Of course that showed what a little whinning bitch he was since when Arkansas and Texas played they were ranked 1 and 2....the Cotton Bowl was going to have the # 1 team regardless. Joepa was a pussy!

Paterno whinned like a little bitch after Texas won the Natty in 1969......he cried how it wasnt fair...his team also was undefeated.....Penn State should have won instead....sniff, sniff.

Never mind that Penn State turned down the Cotton Bowl, instead opting for the Orange bowl.....He could have played Texas.....and Texas wanted Penn State BADDD!!!
His excuse....he thought Arkansas was going to beat Texas. Of course that showed what a little whinning bitch he was since when Arkansas and Texas played they were ranked 1 and 2....the Cotton Bowl was going to have the # 1 team regardless. Joepa was a pussy!
Some background on that game that seems to contradict your memory of what happened, according to the all-knowing Wikipedia:

“By a vote of its players in mid-November, second-ranked Penn State (10–0) opted to return to the Orange Bowl,[4][5] and faced #6 Missouri(9–1). Penn State had several black players and wished to avoid Dallas due to segregation issues.[6] At the time, the top-ranked team was defending champion Ohio State, who lost the next week at Michigan.”

It sounds like at the time they made their decision, neither Texas nor Arkansas were #1.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
i believe the quote was something akin to "how can the president know so much about college football, and know nothing about watergate?"

my response would be... now joe... we're talking about not knowing things?

Reactions: westx
I will add more later when I have time, but that "already voted for the Orange Bowl " crap was a lame defense for explaining why Penn State ducked the # 1 team whoever it was going to be...the excuse was laughed at at the time and it is even more laughable now....by the way....those claim that the vote took place in Mid November.....PSU still had 3 games to play...

aaaactually, i know in the 80s it was sometimes done that way. but the big games usually held out as long as they could. i don't know how much holding out they did in 1970 for the non-champions.

Micco...you are referencing revisionist history
Very possible. I just had no idea of all this taking place (I’m not a Longhorn or Nittany Lion fan, and I was four at the time). So I looked on line a bit to catch up on all that had happened and ran across that blurb.

In those days the National Championship was a popularity contest. In order to win it you had to be perceived as the best of the best. That is why I got in the habit of pulling hard for OU to win every game they played except when they played us.Thus....if you ever got the # 1 ranking, you usually would hold it until you lost....It was very hard to over take an undefeated # 1 team. That is why if you were the team chasing, you desperately needed a chance to play the # 1 team( or at least the highest ranked team available) to win that vote. The Rose Bowl was not an option as it matched the Champs of the Big 10 and the Pac 10...Orange Bowl took the winner of the Big 8 against the best available. The Cotton Bowl was the winner of the SWC against the best available and the Sugar Bowl took the SEC champ against the best available.

PSU had its pick of Sugar, Cotton and Orange. They opted on the eve of the Texas-Arkansas game to duck the winner and go to the easiest opponent and that was in the Orange Bowl. They KNEW the winner of the UT- Arkansas game was going to be # 1. UT went into tht game ranked #1. Arkansaswas ranked #2....the winner was a lock to be # 1

All the other stuff came about because Joepa started whining that he also was undefeated and should have been considered. When he was asked why he ducked the Cotton Bowl he tap danced around trying to find a plausable reason and all he could come up with was that lame bullshit.

If you notice in the pic there is a sign with gas prices. There’s no gas station within miles of the Hoity Toit lol
I wouldn't know. I don't frequent the hoity toit.......................

In the event anyone is really interested.....the below link shows week by week how the season set up. As I said, in those days you lived and died by the rankings that came out every tuesday. This highlights what a total piece of crap whiney Joepa was. He had the choice....go to the Cotton Bowl and play for the title, or choose an easier opponent and reserve the right to snivel for eternity....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_college_football_season

I forgot to add....in those days, the only way to move up was for a higher rated team to lose, or maybe have a bad showing, or to play a highly ranked opponent and boat race them.
PSU was an independent in those days and did not play a tough schedule, and that worked against them. The fact remains....they had the chance, but turned it down...

Not questioning, just trying to understand...

How can Penn State choose or not choose to go to all those Bowls? I thought 1) you had to be invited, and 2) invites came down in a pecking order, especially NYD Bowls. So one bowl would have to essentially find an opponent, then the next, and so on.

If I’m wrong, please let me know.

No...that is exactly how it worked. The reason PSU had their choice is that they were independent, just like ND is now. They were ranked #3 I think at the time...or maybe 4, but they were the highest ranked team not bound to a bowl. They had their pick of the Orange Bowl, the Cotton Bowl or the Sugar Bowl.There was no pecking order. The Bowls were independent of each other. PSU opted for the Orange bowl. They were hoping that the winner of the Arkansas-Texas game would lose in the bowl game and they would be the last undefeated team....thus most likely getting to be # 1. The problem with that strategy was that Texas did not lose. I will never understand how that team could pass on the Cotton Bowl and have the incredible opportunity of winning the Title out right....but they ducked out of it.

All that crap about not wanting to play in Dallas was so much bullshit.They were grasping for any excuse to whine that they could find. All they had to do was say yes to the Cotton Bowl and then they had total control of their destiny. No true competitor can ask for more than that.

Micco you are a good poster. You root for the wrong team, but hey!....thats what makes a horse race. I guarantee that Switzer or Stoops would have opted to play The Cotton Bowl. That is why I have despised Paterno for decades.

Bowls were chosen much differently than now. Yes, there were "affiliations" to certain bowl games, but they were ties that could be broken with a spit and a handshake and some grease. You gotta realize, back then, there wasn't the money involved that there is now. (duh)

I don't know how much of a factor it was but that was also the year that Notre Dame ended their self imposed ban on not going to bowl games. When the Cotton Bowl announced Notre Dame as their team the whole country was shocked. As I said at the top how much that affected Penn State I don't know.

You have it backwards. Penn State had already accecpted the Orange Bowl bid. The Cotton Bowl was stuck for a big Name school since the highest ranked were elsewhere. They approached ND which had not played in a Bowl since the days of Knute Rockne or there abouts. ND changed policy just to have a chance at the # 1 team and thus a possible championship. PSU had no one tho blame but there own chickenshit selves.

No...that is exactly how it worked. The reason PSU had their choice is that they were independent, just like ND is now. They were ranked #3 I think at the time...or maybe 4, but they were the highest ranked team not bound to a bowl. They had their pick of the Orange Bowl, the Cotton Bowl or the Sugar Bowl.There was no pecking order. The Bowls were independent of each other. PSU opted for the Orange bowl. They were hoping that the winner of the Arkansas-Texas game would lose in the bowl game and they would be the last undefeated team....thus most likely getting to be # 1. The problem with that strategy was that Texas did not lose. I will never understand how that team could pass on the Cotton Bowl and have the incredible opportunity of winning the Title out right....but they ducked out of it.

All that crap about not wanting to play in Dallas was so much bullshit.They were grasping for any excuse to whine that they could find. All they had to do was say yes to the Cotton Bowl and then they had total control of their destiny. No true competitor can ask for more than that.

Micco you are a good poster. You root for the wrong team, but hey!....thats what makes a horse race. I guarantee that Switzer or Stoops would have opted to play The Cotton Bowl. That is why I have despised Paterno for decades.
Gracias!

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT