ADVERTISEMENT

Perrin and Dodds met last night at Dodds home

Ok. Here's what I'm being told. Perrin flew in last night and was driven straight to Dodds home.

Perrin asked if he had the authority as interim to fire charlie at any point during or after the season. Dodds said he did.

Dodds made two suggestions. Option 1 force charlie to gut the staff. If that doesn't work, PERRIN won't be there anyway and it will be on the new AD to let him go and find a replacement. Problem with that is new oc's and dc's might feel like they have 1 year to save their jobs and so you're not going to get the coaches you need. Too much pressure.

Option 2: nuke the staff. Call in your big money donors and let them know of your plan. See if they agree and will help pick up the tab so the university isn't out much or any money. The trade off is the big money guys are going to want serious input about who the next coach will be. He'll have to find a way to get them on common ground. Be prepared to right a historicly HUGE check to get the guy they want. If they want him badly enough, they will help foot the bill as well.

Perrin's concern was that after a new AD was hired, how do we guarantee he doesn't move against the new coach and staff. Dodd's reply was "well you make sure you hire an AD that respects that coaching hire, and then you win. Win and it won't matter."

Perrin is obviously fuming about the game and asks what the repercussions of firing strong mid season would be. Dodds' tells him they would be worse than if he waited until after the season. The talking heads would shower texas with the race card, and not allowing strong to finish year two would be twisted by any media member with an agenda or "axe to grind".

Perrin seems content to let the season play out and go from there. Problem is the new AD search is well under way and depending on the candidates, they may want more input with the hiring. Egos are involved.

That's all I've got for now.

Reactions: LonghornMM
It's not about race or just losing. It's about respect and not getting embarassed every Saturday. No one respects Texas right now and that is the bottom line.

This will absolutely DESTROY recruiting for this yr if these FIRE CHARLIE rumors continue (as they surely will).

And.....he wont get fired this season. He will get one more year. And unfortunately recruiting will go completely down the toilet amid all these rumors and innuendo about his future.

Not good. Not good at all !!

Firing him during the season might actually make me think my loyalty to this program. There is no....and I mean no coach out there "quality" that would step in right now. Is it going to get worse this season....yea..it will, but gutting this staff now sounds horrible. If they do that they need to not play anymore ball the rest of the season and forfeit the remainder of the games.

Staff gut was proposed after season end. And as far as firing Charlie mid season, I think Perrin just wanted clarification to his level of authority.

Reactions: ouslyk
Staff gut was proposed after season end. And as far as firing Charlie mid season, I think Perrin just wanted clarification to his level of authority.

So firing Charlie is actually a possibility after this season?

I don't think Charlie gets rid of Bedford. His loyalty to his friends I think would prevent him from making a change

that still makes no sense...gut the staff after the last game? who are they going to bring in ? how many reboots do we have to live through with this dam team ? The first half of the rice game we thought the planets had aligned and all was going to be ok...then the wheels fell off. We had a culture problem before...now we don't have a culture problem but we have 10x the problems with everything after mack left. This was supposed to be the answer...a Defensive guru.... So we start with another staff , patched together until they can fire Charlie ? We have a new head coach next year, new staff....and if they are not from the big 12 or spread, how many more years must we endure this ?

If it is true that Strong was told he will need to gut his staff at the end of the season (guessing this is the case if they continue to play like yesterday) then I see Strong resigning. He does not seem like the person who will do that type of thing to his friends. This will allow UT to avoid having to buy him out. The issue becomes with UT having to find an AD and head football coach at the same time.

AD - I don't have any real knowledge of who may be a good choice for this. I know some names have been brought up in the past but a lot of those seem like long shots.

Head Coach - No Saban, no Briles, no Kelly don't care how much money we can throw at them. The next head coach needs to be an offensive minded coach who has been in Texas for quite a while. He needs to have relationships with high school coaches and understand how the Big 12 functions. Hermann may leave UH for Texas. Maybe one of the OCs from TCU, maybe the OC at atm. I don't even care for Morris unless he can bring in a great and proven DC.

Just my thoughts and opinions

I thought and still do that Strong should of brought Mangino in. The dude took fricken KU to the orange bowl and a great offensive mind. And knows the state.

Firing him during the season might actually make me think my loyalty to this program. There is no....and I mean no coach out there "quality" that would step in right now. Is it going to get worse this season....yea..it will, but gutting this staff now sounds horrible. If they do that they need to not play anymore ball the rest of the season and forfeit the remainder of the games.

We've had differences but I totally agree with you. Both options are terrible. Rumors of this will kill recruiting and firing him mid season will put Texas in a tailspin for the next 12-15 years.

CS is probably screwed either way. I don't think he can recover.

Reactions: blh111
He does not seem like the person who will do that type of thing to his friends. This will allow UT to avoid having to buy him out. The issue becomes with UT having to find an AD and head football coach at the same time.
If Strong resigns, he is the dumbest person on the planet. Get fired, get paid. Resign, get nothing.

Charlie Strong is not a quitter, nor is he a loser, he will turn this around. The firing is coming from disgruntled fans who will be back every week after a loss telling everyone the sky is falling. When Strong starts winning they will disappear.

Reactions: HornDrummer
This will absolutely DESTROY recruiting for this yr if these FIRE CHARLIE rumors continue (as they surely will).

And.....he wont get fired this season. He will get one more year. And unfortunately recruiting will go completely down the toilet amid all these rumors and innuendo about his future.

Not good. Not good at all !!
Says the uber-concerned troll

This is the kind of thing that fans the embers of unrest. This thread does not seem quite right to my sensibilities. Why in hell would Perrin talk to Dodds, interim to EX 2x removed? Talk to the current Prez because THAT is your dang boss. This sounds not valid...any confirmation in any way? Anything? Beuller?

Ok. Here's what I'm being told. Perrin flew in last night and was driven straight to Dodds home.

Perrin asked if he had the authority as interim to fire charlie at any point during or after the season. Dodds said he did.

Dodds made two suggestions. Option 1 force charlie to gut the staff. If that doesn't work, PERRIN won't be there anyway and it will be on the new AD to let him go and find a replacement. Problem with that is new oc's and dc's might feel like they have 1 year to save their jobs and so you're not going to get the coaches you need. Too much pressure.

Option 2: nuke the staff. Call in your big money donors and let them know of your plan. See if they agree and will help pick up the tab so the university isn't out much or any money. The trade off is the big money guys are going to want serious input about who the next coach will be. He'll have to find a way to get them on common ground. Be prepared to right a historicly HUGE check to get the guy they want. If they want him badly enough, they will help foot the bill as well.

Perrin's concern was that after a new AD was hired, how do we guarantee he doesn't move against the new coach and staff. Dodd's reply was "well you make sure you hire an AD that respects that coaching hire, and then you win. Win and it won't matter."

Perrin is obviously fuming about the game and asks what the repercussions of firing strong mid season would be. Dodds' tells him they would be worse than if he waited until after the season. The talking heads would shower texas with the race card, and not allowing strong to finish year two would be twisted by any media member with an agenda or "axe to grind".

Perrin seems content to let the season play out and go from there. Problem is the new AD search is well under way and depending on the candidates, they may want more input with the hiring. Egos are involved.

That's all I've got for now.

This whole thing is hilarious...
We all know a guy who knows a guy, right?

Who's your source that was at this supposed dinner with Perrin and Dodds? Or, who did Perrin pass this info along to afterwards and why in the hell would he do so?

If there's one thing I've figured out over the years about these boards it's that practically no one on it knows what the hell they're talking about when it comes to stuff like this (not even Chip). Where did they have dinner? What'd they have? Did Dodds order his steak medium rare? I'm sure somewhere someone told someone else that Perrin has already been in contact with Chip Kelly or that an Art Briles deal is in the works.
Ask Chip Brown if he knows when we are bolting for the PAC12 while you're at it. I'm still waiting on that one.

Two weeks ago all we heard was support for Strong from Perrin and the new president. I'm not doubting that Perrin had dinner with Dodds I'm just doubting that some plan was concocted to get rid of the current staff. Not saying that Strong keeps his job at the end of the saying (I think he's back in 2016) just saying that we don't know.

Two weeks ago everyone was saying how much hope there was and how Jerrod was the future and now we have a QB. Last week it was about the strides the defense made. I hear we're young and inexperienced and need to be patient and then I hear patience and inexperience is just an excuse. Apparently we don't have the talent of the teams we play but rivals.com and ESPN say that we do and everyone celebrated the talent of our most recent class (one that I honestly think is very talented).

Well ...which is it? Does Jerrod change everything? Has our defense turned the corner? Do we have the talent that tcu, Baylor and ou have?

Are you willing to put a sizable amount of money on Strong not returning in 2016? We all know a guy who knows a guy right?

That's ridiculous! Clarification? He said outright, he has no limitations. DD the mob boss.

Desperate moves will likely make things worse!

Reactions: blh111
This whole thing is hilarious...
We all know a guy who knows a guy, right?

Who's your source that was at this supposed dinner with Perrin and Dodds? Or, who did Perrin pass this info along to afterwards and why in the hell would he do so?

If there's one thing I've figured out over the years about these boards it's that practically no one on it knows what the hell they're talking about when it comes to stuff like this (not even Chip). Where did they have dinner? What'd they have? Did Dodds order his steak medium rare? I'm sure somewhere someone told someone else that Perrin has already been in contact with Chip Kelly or that an Art Briles deal is in the works.
Ask Chip Brown if he knows when we are bolting for the PAC12 while you're at it. I'm still waiting on that one.

Two weeks ago all we heard was support for Strong from Perrin and the new president. I'm not doubting that Perrin had dinner with Dodds I'm just doubting that some plan was concocted to get rid of the current staff. Not saying that Strong keeps his job at the end of the saying (I think he's back in 2016) just saying that we don't know.

Two weeks ago everyone was saying how much hope there was and how Jerrod was the future and now we have a QB. Last week it was about the strides the defense made. I hear we're young and inexperienced and need to be patient and then I hear patience and inexperience is just an excuse. Apparently we don't have the talent of the teams we play but rivals.com and ESPN say that we do and everyone celebrated the talent of our most recent class (one that I honestly think is very talented).

Well ...which is it? Does Jerrod change everything? Has our defense turned the corner? Do we have the talent that tcu, Baylor and ou have?

Are you willing to put a sizable amount of money on Strong not returning in 2016? We all know a guy who knows a guy right?
Typical idiot poster who's out of the loop and likes to put words in someone's mouth. At what point did I say anything about "DINNER"? It's people like you that start the ball rolling on high school telephone rumors. You just make sh!t up and type it on the internet and all the sudden the Dixie Chicks were involved and there was kegger at Dodds house. If you're going to have a discussion at the adult table, try and LISTEN to what the adults have to say instead of just making crap up.

Perrin went by Dodds home to discuss POSSIBLE OPTIONS. Nothing more, nothing less.

As bad as it is, let Strong finish out the year and then evaluate. We're 1-4. Clobbered by two playoff quality teams, beat one non-factor, and 2 down to the wire losses to borderline top25 teams. Assuming an OU beatdown at 1-5, we then have a bye week. We finish against 1 playoff caliber team (Baylor), 1 scrub (KU), and 4 swing games. While my guess is we finish 4-8 or 3-9, with a few breaks 6-6 isn't completely impossible. And then a bowl against another 6-6 type, and perhaps we can build some momentum. At least Strong deserves that chance.

If they fire him after OU, I'd say McCombs more likely bought the refs against OSU than Boone P.

If it is true that Strong was told he will need to gut his staff at the end of the season (guessing this is the case if they continue to play like yesterday) then I see Strong resigning. He does not seem like the person who will do that type of thing to his friends. This will allow UT to avoid having to buy him out. The issue becomes with UT having to find an AD and head football coach at the same time.

AD - I don't have any real knowledge of who may be a good choice for this. I know some names have been brought up in the past but a lot of those seem like long shots.

Head Coach - No Saban, no Briles, no Kelly don't care how much money we can throw at them. The next head coach needs to be an offensive minded coach who has been in Texas for quite a while. He needs to have relationships with high school coaches and understand how the Big 12 functions. Hermann may leave UH for Texas. Maybe one of the OCs from TCU, maybe the OC at atm. I don't even care for Morris unless he can bring in a great and proven DC.

Just my thoughts and opinions

You don't understand coaching and their egos. Coaches don't usually look at obsticles they look at opportunities and rewards. Coaches have egos every bit as big as the players they coach, I guarantee you that every coach in America would see the possibilities much more than the obstacles.

Texas presents both obstacles and opportunities for the right coach that can maneuver around the obstacles the opportunities to dominate are bigger and better than any other school in the country.

We are talking about a school with all the pull of any SEC school, but without the work of having to fight through a SEC level schedule.

BTW If we fired Charlie right now, it would be to bring in a guy that has already said yes, like say a Jon Gruden. If we wait til the end of the year you can bet the new AD will hit the ground running and have a list in mind, but you can also bet that the BMD will have already formed and put together a list of guys they want.

Who was prepared to win 1, 2, or 3 UT football games in the 2nd year of Strong's tenure (2015) when he was first hired? Those are all real possibilities now.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Firing Strong mid season makes no sense. Who is even competent to have an interim HC role?

You're new OC is a guy that OU ran out of town. Bedford's results certainly wouldn't give a lot of hope in a promotion.

Reactions: Tower Garden
I agree it seems firing Strong mid season might not be the best thing. As mentioned above, it would be different if one of the coordinators was a possible replacement or seemed like they have earned the opportunity to be interim HC. Wick line and Watson are out. Norvell and Bedford have eliminated themselves. For recruiting purposes, the bigwigs need to act as all is well with Strong with votes of confidence etc. just to try to hold recruiting somewhat together. Then if they need to make a move, make it before the bowl game, if there is one so as to have the best possible outcome for the new coach's recruiting class. Of course I am assuming Texas would go after a coach that is currently coaching. If it Gruden or whoever than yeah I would go after them asap if that was the decision Texas decided to go with

Last edited:
This is a terrible situation for a number of reasons.

1. You may not want the race card played but it will be out that the schools first black coach was given basically a year toclean up a mess.

2. The placeholder AD is angling to make decsions that will effect the program for decades and he doesn't appear to be anywhere near the AD search in terms of being a candidate.

3 the AD thr boosters forced to retire 3 years ago appears to be advising him.

4. The "well hire an AD that can work with the new coach" is awful strategy. Sticking an AD with a coach is ALWAYS a bad idea

5. So if you fire strong you have to speed up the AD hire because he HAS to be the one to make the hire

I'm going to say something that won't be popular, none of us want to hear, but is the reality. A season like this has been coming for several years. The talent that Macks recruiting classes had been pumping out had been declining for years. The last 3 haven't been great. The juniors and seniors especially on the OL have been awful. Malcolm brown has disappointed. These guys just haven't developed. How much of it is Strongs fault? Maybe some but it's clear that was an issue prior to strong. Add that to the fact that we will probably play the toughest schedule in the country. Is the makings for bad things. I'm honestly not sure a coaching change fixes any of this. This is a bad situation. Blowing it up right now isn't the answer

Reactions: Tower Garden
The reality right now is that we are a young team with a locker room that does not have a winning attitude. There are no upperclassmen on this team that can be a leader with their play and with their voice. It appears Strong wants J Gray and D Thomas to be those guys but they aren't getting it done. It's up to the freshmen like M Jefferson and J Heard to be those leaders but that's a lot of pressure to put on young guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT