ADVERTISEMENT

Perrin and Dodds met last night at Dodds home

I guarantee that clob is who he says he is as I seen him play HS FB and at Texas, he was a mean " Motor Scooter" down here in the Coastal Bend, I can vouch for him I guarantee and most of the FB team here in the Bluff, we know who he is...so put that who he say he is shit to rest! Maybe he wants to keep his privacy like the rest of us?

Hook'em

giphy.gif

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Well,hopefully Clob, VY, Ricky, David and other ex Longhorns can be able to get together with our young Horns and give them some much needed supportive advice to finish out the season in a great way.

I earned my BS at UT, but didn't play football-did last one day at a walk on baseball deal, was offered a chance to play on the lacrosse club team, and won alotta free beer at trivia at Uncle Stanley's.

Hook em Horns ......,always.

So what crawled up your ass to make you attack me? Obviously I do not personally know Clob therefore I stated I am 95% sure he is who he says he is. I can only base that off what he and other OB posters have stated.
As far as the question about bomb goes, I didn't know what happened to the guy over the offseason. He always had the most threads going and now I dont see his handle anywhere. And please show me anywhere I mentioned how well I "keep up with this board."

My bad for it coming off as I was "attacking you" I was just vouching for him and i have seen his avatar with him showing his ring but MM told him to take it down. And for Bomb he had his differences with the board MM knows all the details. Was being sarcastic about the board comment by the way.

The bigger the fire the faster that dumpster can burn up and we can get a shiny new dumpster in here to replace it. ;)

The bigger the fire the faster that dumpster can burn up and we can get a shiny new dumpster in here to replace it. ;)
When that back fires and sets the program back even further, what then? Who are "we" (TEXAS) going to money whip that wins day one?

My bad for it coming off as I was "attacking you" I was just vouching for him and i have seen his avatar with him showing his ring but MM told him to take it down. And for Bomb he had his differences with the board MM knows all the details. Was being sarcastic about the board comment by the way.

Ok, fair enough. It's hard to portray sarcasm in posts. Let's get back to discussing what's going on with our prolonged imploding program.

When that back fires and sets the program back even further, what then? Who are "we" (TEXAS) going to money whip that wins day one?

The same thing you do when the stay the course plan becomes a failure. You start over. It's no given that Strong or the next coach are going to work. How are we going to get setback even further? We going to hire a coach that can't beat Kansas and Rice? Short of hiring Urban Meyer there are no guaranteed routes to success.

The what if it doesn't work and it sets us back even further angle will always exist.

Last edited:
The same thing you do when the stay the course plan becomes a failure. You start over. It's no given that Strong or the next coach are going to work. How are we going to get setback even further? We going to hire a coach that can't beat Kansas and Rice? Short of hiring Urban Meyer there are no guaranteed routes to success.
Hence the reason I believe you have to give Strong a third year to flip the roster with the biggest play makers being Freshman and sophomores... Need age and maturity!

Hence the reason I believe you have to give Strong a third year to flip the roster with the biggest play makers being Freshman and sophomores... Need age and maturity!

I think he'll get his third, and rightfully so. 2 years is not enough to prove either way, but I really don't know what I expect to see. Since we've seen no improvement if not regression in year 2, going into year 3 with likely a lot assistant coach changes, it's going to be next to impossible for him to prove that this is back on track.

I look back at games like 2003 RRR and wonder what y'all thought about Mack!

Do you really think that losing one game a year to OU in a mudholing fashion is the same as losing 5+ games a year in a mudholing fashion. Do you really equate Mack's start to Charlie's so far?

I look back at games like 2003 RRR and wonder what y'all thought about Mack!

Do you really think that losing one game a year to OU in a mudholing fashion is the same as losing 5+ games a year in a mudholing fashion. Do you really equate Mack's start to Charlie's so far?

Still Trying to figure out who clob is. I was a student trainer on the 95 team. I mostly hung out with the walk ons during practice but I knew who most of the guys were. Not to sure if there was a DE from the coastal bend area that played but I know for sure there were a few pretty good LBs from the coastal bend area that played.

Doesn't matter what I think...2003 was before Mack had accomplished anything above winning some games.

Im a Longhorn. I love everything about it from football to basketball, from baseball to track. I love it all. I really feel folks doesn't understand how serious this whole situation is. You have some folks saying "let's fired Strong and hired a great coach or up and coming coach". How retarded is that. Who in the hell is going to come here after watching Strong get axed in his 2nd year. Every coach is going to say, "Im not going to UT because if i don't win in year 2, im fired". I wouldn't want to come here in that situation as well. If i was a coach why would i come here and leave the school im doing good or a NFL team for that type of pressure. All the other State schools and other schools are going to tell them kids, " Hey, come to our school because UT is not going to win and you are not going to have your coach or position coach for no more than 2 years". Everyone needs to look at the whole picture. Who thought we were going to have a winning record? I did and that's because im a homer but in reality i knew we were in bad shape before this season started. We have no SR leadership. All we have is Fr and they are the ones that are leading the team. You can't compare us to no other school because every school has that SR leadership to go along with the FR. If you think we do then you haven't been paying attention to our school. Is Duke our SR leader? Des Jackson or SR leader? Haines? Deja Johnson? Gray? NOPE. Our QB is a FR. Our Rb is a SO. Our WR is a FR. Our OL is a FR. LB is a FR. DB is a FR. Do you think that is leadership or experience? Every school out there has FR but look at their roster and you will see upperclassmen everywhere that is starting. Just look at the teams we played, all upperclassmen. I for one think we have a good team but just young. I look at next year to be a breakout but this year is not and everyone knows that but just mad because we are not winning. If he gets fired watch what happen to our recruiting. We will be lucky to get 3 stars. I say this, let him finish out his contract. If we don't see improvement then fired him. Just don't fired him this early. I like what he is bringing to the table but feel we need a OC in a bad way.

The fact that Texas isn't winning isn't as big to me as how Texas is losing. In two seasons we are talking about the same issues we had back before Charlie took over. We might not have guys smoking weed but we are still pretty undisciplined. I'm glad he has got guys going to class, but he has done a piss poor job of teaching them the game of football.

Face facts, this team is not better off with Charlie Strong.

I never said that he wasn't a former player. He's clearly very proud of himself and who he associates with considering all the name dropping. I'm sure there are Christmas cards from Fred Akers and the whole works. I'm still doubting the details of the conversation and why they would be shared with anyone outside of Perrin and Dodds at this point. My whole thing was that none of us really know what's going to happen unless we're in the room when the conversations take place. We're not even at the mid point of the season and a lot can change between now and then. This isn't the first time we've heard a story about meetings taking place, supposed ultimatums, moving trucks at people's homes, offices cleaned out, etc...

I think Strong is back in 2016 as is most of his current staff. If anyone from the staff leaves it's because they wanted to go or Strong wanted to make a change but not because anyone forced Strong to dump them.

If Strong and his staff is back next year, then all you have done is wasted another year. He is not the right guy to handle this job.

What happened at TCU isn't anything new.............http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=232840251

Jerk that knee and come off as even bigger dumpster fire! I figure you have got to give Strong three years to prove himself. If the folks with money that matter get their hands in the cookie jar, we aren't better off!

If you are a manager and know you made the wrong decision are you going to leave the guy in that position and cost your company millions or are you going to take the steps to fix it? Charlie Strong does not fit, the sooner you cut ties the sooner you have a chance to get the right guy in place.

When Texas opens up there will again be guys lining up to take this job. Coaches don't see the issues they only see the opportunity.

I think he'll get his third, and rightfully so. 2 years is not enough to prove either way, but I really don't know what I expect to see. Since we've seen no improvement if not regression in year 2, going into year 3 with likely a lot assistant coach changes, it's going to be next to impossible for him to prove that this is back on track.

Sadly, I agree, he will get his third year and it will set this program back another 3 to 5 years.

From Scout:
#1 … Get control of your coaching staff

If there are bad apples on the staff who are bringing the rest of the staff down and affecting the way things are getting done, get rid of them.

If interim AD Mike Perrin and school president Greg Fenves are going to bring you back for a third season – no matter what – you’re going to get one chance to reset this coaching staff.

So start lining up the candidates and probably have a conversation with Perrin and Fenves about the likelihood of needing guaranteed, multi-year deals for any new assistants, because coaches are going to be hesitant to join your staff if there's a chance you could be fired after the 2016 season.

#2 … Put Jeff Traylor in charge of the offense

Traylor ran the ball while winning three state titles at Gilmer the way you want Texas to be running the ball.

The game plan at TCU should have been to run it between the tackles with a lead blocker from the beginning.

The whole week of practice leading up to the TCU game should have been a message to the team that Texas was going to physically pound the ball at a defense with a 190-pound linebacker.

Instead, Texas came out and threw the ball on five of its first nine plays. By then, UT was already down, 16-0.

Find out what you’ve got in Traylor as a play-caller. The guy studied the offenses of Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris and just might be the answer. Maybe not. But you should probably find out now.

#3 … Take over the defense and put Vance Bedford in charge of special teams

Your calling card is defense, and your team is giving up 38.2 points per game - worse than the defense that got Manny Diaz fired in 2013.

If you’re going to go down, make sure that defense is doing exactly what you want it to be doing and playing the players you want to be playing.

And when you made the change in offensive play callers - from Shawn Watson to Jay Norvell - you also replaced Joe Wickline as run-game coordinator with Jeff Traylor and then divided up special teams coaching duties among the staff.

Get Bedford, a veteran, to coordinate special teams since those units are largely made up of defensive players. That unit could doom this staff and this season if it doesn't improve quickly.

#4 … Stop letting position coaches decide which players go into games

Put the play-caller in charge of that.

Allowing the position coaches to decide this is a recipe for dissension.

#5 … Make Mike Perrin your new best friend ... and don't lose anymore games by 20 points

Tell Perrin, who played defensive end for Darrell Royal, you need him by your side right now so that he can get you whatever you need.

You need to have Perrin at practice, seeing you at work so he can feel good about everything you're doing - so he can defend everything going on to critics.

And Captain Obvious has a quick message: You can't lose another game by 20 points.

Your record is 7-11 and seven of those losses have come by 20 points or more, including Saturday’s 50-7 beatdown at TCU.

Texas faithful can handle seeing 21 freshmen playing as long as the team is playing hard, improving every week and remaining competitive.

They can’t handle seeing their team looking lost while being blown out.

It's Red River Shootout week, and a bunch of Texas fans aren't going to make the trip to Dallas, because they don't want to be around all the Sooners at the State Fair of Texas if there's a chance the Horns could be blown out again.

So you're going to have to get this one done with you and the players in your locker room.

As Dan Neil said, go William B. Travis at the Alamo, get out your sword, draw your line in the sand and make sure everyone in your locker room, coaches included, are on your side of that line.

Reactions: HornDrummer
If Strong resigns, he is the dumbest person on the planet. Get fired, get paid. Resign, get nothing.

No one resigns without a "buyout". It will not be 100%, but the alternative is re-assignment within The University.

A resignation saves face for all concerned.

I feel for Charlie, because I do not believe he was ever going to be successful and he was not able to recognize the enormity of the assignment.

As Dan Neil said, go William B. Travis at the Alamo, get out your sword, draw your line in the sand and make sure everyone in your locker room, coaches included, are on your side of that line.

That last quote is very fitting going into the RRR this year. This team is in such bad shape. I once thought David McWilliams was the worst coach in the history of Texas football. I was wrong, Charlie has him beat by a country mile.

Get ready for some race card playing no matter what if you only give him two years.
This is a likely and unfortunate by-product of any scenario that terminates Charlie Strong prior to a third season. Even though there would be no racial motivation in Strong's termination, it would certainly be spun that way by the competition as well as the NAACP and Al Sharpton. Face it, in today's world it's just inevitable. Any perception of a race problem at Texas -- even if it's fabricated -- will not only impact recruiting but also the ability to replace the current staff.

Still Trying to figure out who clob is. I was a student trainer on the 95 team. I mostly hung out with the walk ons during practice but I knew who most of the guys were. Not to sure if there was a DE from the coastal bend area that played but I know for sure there were a few pretty good LBs from the coastal bend area that played.
Shhhhhh---- I know you remember Joel and Chip...................Joel might have left by 95--- I don't recall.

That last quote is very fitting going into the RRR this year. This team is in such bad shape. I once thought David McWilliams was the worst coach in the history of Texas football. I was wrong, Charlie has him beat by a country mile.

You're right on. I hope strongs gone at the end of the year.

Shhhhhh---- I know you remember Joel and Chip...................Joel might have left by 95--- I don't recall.

Joel was still there. He was a student in 95, I think they actually hired him when he graduated. The guy I am thinking of was one of the toughest guys on the field but had a strong aversion to hydrogen peroxide on turf burn. That stuff they had on the field was god awful and they practiced on it most days of the week.

From Scout:
#1 … Get control of your coaching staff

If there are bad apples on the staff who are bringing the rest of the staff down and affecting the way things are getting done, get rid of them.

If interim AD Mike Perrin and school president Greg Fenves are going to bring you back for a third season – no matter what – you’re going to get one chance to reset this coaching staff.

So start lining up the candidates and probably have a conversation with Perrin and Fenves about the likelihood of needing guaranteed, multi-year deals for any new assistants, because coaches are going to be hesitant to join your staff if there's a chance you could be fired after the 2016 season.

#2 … Put Jeff Traylor in charge of the offense

Traylor ran the ball while winning three state titles at Gilmer the way you want Texas to be running the ball.

The game plan at TCU should have been to run it between the tackles with a lead blocker from the beginning.

The whole week of practice leading up to the TCU game should have been a message to the team that Texas was going to physically pound the ball at a defense with a 190-pound linebacker.

Instead, Texas came out and threw the ball on five of its first nine plays. By then, UT was already down, 16-0.

Find out what you’ve got in Traylor as a play-caller. The guy studied the offenses of Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris and just might be the answer. Maybe not. But you should probably find out now.

#3 … Take over the defense and put Vance Bedford in charge of special teams

Your calling card is defense, and your team is giving up 38.2 points per game - worse than the defense that got Manny Diaz fired in 2013.

If you’re going to go down, make sure that defense is doing exactly what you want it to be doing and playing the players you want to be playing.

And when you made the change in offensive play callers - from Shawn Watson to Jay Norvell - you also replaced Joe Wickline as run-game coordinator with Jeff Traylor and then divided up special teams coaching duties among the staff.

Get Bedford, a veteran, to coordinate special teams since those units are largely made up of defensive players. That unit could doom this staff and this season if it doesn't improve quickly.

#4 … Stop letting position coaches decide which players go into games

Put the play-caller in charge of that.

Allowing the position coaches to decide this is a recipe for dissension.

#5 … Make Mike Perrin your new best friend ... and don't lose anymore games by 20 points

Tell Perrin, who played defensive end for Darrell Royal, you need him by your side right now so that he can get you whatever you need.

You need to have Perrin at practice, seeing you at work so he can feel good about everything you're doing - so he can defend everything going on to critics.

And Captain Obvious has a quick message: You can't lose another game by 20 points.

Your record is 7-11 and seven of those losses have come by 20 points or more, including Saturday’s 50-7 beatdown at TCU.

Texas faithful can handle seeing 21 freshmen playing as long as the team is playing hard, improving every week and remaining competitive.

They can’t handle seeing their team looking lost while being blown out.

It's Red River Shootout week, and a bunch of Texas fans aren't going to make the trip to Dallas, because they don't want to be around all the Sooners at the State Fair of Texas if there's a chance the Horns could be blown out again.

So you're going to have to get this one done with you and the players in your locker room.

Great post.The things that are killing us now is questionable coaching hires and CS not backfilling all the "bad apples" he ran off when he first got here. If you are going to run off 20 odd players then you better replace a significant amount of them with Jucos to make sure you have some older guys that might be able to provide some leadership. Most new coaches that come in don't have such a huge blood letting that causes such a big drop off in performance.....

No one resigns without a "buyout". It will not be 100%, but the alternative is re-assignment within The University.

A resignation saves face for all concerned.

I feel for Charlie, because I do not believe he was ever going to be successful and he was not able to recognize the enormity of the assignment.

It's never easy to replace a legend. Now Mack was not really a legend but he did a lot of good things for the University in his 15 years. We as fans expected Charlie to pick up where Mack left off and bring Texas back to the top.

Trouble is Charlie was hired to fix a problem and through a very short sighted hiring process the AD didn't do a good job at looking to see if Charlie had the skill set to handle everything that is required to be the coach at Texas.

To be the coach at Texas you have to

1. Win championships, multiple championships. Winning fixes everything. You can be a mumbling stumbling half-wit, but if you are a winner this fan base and the BMD will love you. You will be our mumbling, stumbling half-wit.

2. You have to beat our rivals, that means OU and aggsy. Now since we don't play aggsy, you have to always have a better record and kick their asses in recruiting.

3. You have to recruit Texas like you own the state. Texas should always own this state. If you don't, then #1 better be happening.

4. You have to be able to garner loyalty from the BMD, they are your keys to the kingdom. If you don't then you better be doing #1 because even DKR had issues with this.

Finally. This University wants you to recruit good kids that go to class and follow all your core values.

Now back to Charlie. But first a history lesson.

Deloss Dodds sucked at hiring coaches. The reason he sucked was he would see a problem with the current staff and look for a new guy that would fix that issue.

I can only talk about what I saw from Fred Akers to Charlie Strong. Fred was an arrogant prick and when he got canned Texas went into the coaching search with one guy in mind. David McWilliams. IOW there was no coaching search.

McWilliams was our guy, he was on Akers staff and loved by all, he was a favorite son that was wrongfully fired by Akers. Everyone remembers the Texas football Magazine image of DKR and David McWilliams on the cover. McWilliams was our guy to bring back the Royal years.

Problem is we didn't realize that McWilliams never coached offense in his life and knew nothing about offense. McWilliams produced some of the best defenses Texas ever had but we also had some of the worst offenses. Also McWilliams constantly got his ass kicked by Oklahoma and A&M. His one saving grace was that Barry Switzer got canned and He was better than Gary Gibb. In the end, his lack of ability to coach offense destroyed his tenure at Texas and he was replaced.

So what does Deloss do, he sees the issue, we need a guy that can coach offense. In comes John Machovic. He was an offensive mastermind, he was going to fix our offense and Texas would again win Championships. Well he did just that, he fixed our offense, but he couldn't coach defense to save his life, and he had another fatal flaw, he didn't have the social skills to be around the BMDs. When Rout 66 happened and we go through our 97 season, there was no one with any influence willing to back him up.

Deloss again sees the problem and this time instead of conducting a search he creates a search committee of BMD to help him find the right guy. We find Mack Brown. Mack Brown is the perfect CEO type coach, a guy that knows people and never meets a stranger. Mack is loved by the BMDs. Mack also catches lightening in a bottle when in his first year Ricky Williams wins the Heisman. He is also a wicked good recruiter. Finally Mack does the one thing we as a fan base were starving for, he brings home the crystal football. The one issue with Mack is, he gets lazy and complacent, he takes his job for granted.

But most importantly, he lets his players grow both complacent and entitled. The air of entitlement permeates the entire program. So we fire Mack, and our new AD is tasked with finding the right guy. He interviews one guy, he doesn't consult with anyone, he handles the entire process, and he does the same thing Deloss does. He sees a problem and finds a guy who can fix the problem.

In comes Charlie Strong, and from the get go, he just doesn't fit in. Charlie fixed the issues Texas has with entitlement, but he does nothing else that will make him successful at Texas.

It's true in life that you get one chance to make a good first impression. Charlie Strong missed his chance. No matter what happens from here on out, his days are numbered here. We can give him one year, two years or 5 years, doesn't matter, the moment he slips up, he is gone.

We need a new head football coach, no doubt in my mind, but what we don't need is a guy that just fixes one problem, we need a guy that will fit all the areas Texas needs him to fit. This is what it is to be the head coach at Texas, that is why they get paid the big bucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT