ADVERTISEMENT

Perrin and Dodds met last night at Dodds home

I don't know if they met or not, but I was told today that Perrin is steadfast in his support for Strong.

Interesting that they let this topic stay up. It seems like nobody is providing any info that says they didn't meet. Seems like they met and the donors have spoken.

Interesting that they let this topic stay up. It seems like nobody is providing any info that says they didn't meet. Seems like they met and the donors have spoken.
Are you saying it is safe to assume? There are zero facts.

I agree with clob about Perrin wanting advice from a man that did his job better than anyone else for decades. Why wouldn't you ask for advice from someone who may be able to help?

I agree with clob about Perrin wanting advice from a man that did his job better than anyone else for decades. Why wouldn't you ask for advice from someone who may be able to help?
Advice is one thing, asking if you have the power to fire a coach is absurd. He is the AD, interim or not and his power is not limited which was made clear upon his introduction.

Advice is one thing, asking if you have the power to fire a coach is absurd. He is the AD, interim or not and his power is not limited which was made clear upon his introduction.
I just think what Clob posted was a "hey guys take it or leave it" kind of deal and it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that it did happen. And some guys on here attacked him like he stole something. I will take any info I can get and I will deal with it myself. I do wonder about the "can he fire him" thing but everything else seemed more than possible.

Come on, you might as well deny that office politics exist. Of course he is going to be walking on egg shells when it comes to making a decision that will cost the University 15 million dollars not to mention the headache of trying to find and pay for the replacement. We just barely got finished paying Mack if I'm not mistaken.

Come on, you might as well deny that office politics exist. Of course he is going to be walking on egg shells when it comes to making a decision that will cost the University 15 million dollars not to mention the headache of trying to find and pay for the replacement. We just barely got finished paying Mack if I'm not mistaken.
DD doesn't have the authority to grant him permission to fire anyone! He may have asked, would you....and it doesn't matter if they fire him tomorrow or December 25th, they will owe him $15 million. If they fire him after next years first loss, they will owe him $10 million. The athletic department is about to buyout Patterson, they still have a hickey for Strong's buyout and Smart's...You better start passing the hat if you want Strong out.

DD doesn't have the authority to grant him permission to fire anyone! He may have asked, would you....and it doesn't matter if they fire him tomorrow or December 25th, they will owe him $15 million. If they fire him after next years first loss, they will owe him $10 million. The athletic department is about to buyout Patterson, they still have a hickey for Strong's buyout and Smart's...You better start passing the hat if you want Strong out.

The hat we pass is going to be a big ass hat, it will be passed to the BMD, who will each drop about 1 to 3 million in it to cover the loss and Texas will move on.

Ok. Here's what I'm being told. Perrin flew in last night and was driven straight to Dodds home.

Perrin asked if he had the authority as interim to fire charlie at any point during or after the season. Dodds said he did.

Dodds made two suggestions. Option 1 force charlie to gut the staff. If that doesn't work, PERRIN won't be there anyway and it will be on the new AD to let him go and find a replacement. Problem with that is new oc's and dc's might feel like they have 1 year to save their jobs and so you're not going to get the coaches you need. Too much pressure.

Option 2: nuke the staff. Call in your big money donors and let them know of your plan. See if they agree and will help pick up the tab so the university isn't out much or any money. The trade off is the big money guys are going to want serious input about who the next coach will be. He'll have to find a way to get them on common ground. Be prepared to right a historicly HUGE check to get the guy they want. If they want him badly enough, they will help foot the bill as well.

Perrin's concern was that after a new AD was hired, how do we guarantee he doesn't move against the new coach and staff. Dodd's reply was "well you make sure you hire an AD that respects that coaching hire, and then you win. Win and it won't matter."

Perrin is obviously fuming about the game and asks what the repercussions of firing strong mid season would be. Dodds' tells him they would be worse than if he waited until after the season. The talking heads would shower texas with the race card, and not allowing strong to finish year two would be twisted by any media member with an agenda or "axe to grind".

Perrin seems content to let the season play out and go from there. Problem is the new AD search is well under way and depending on the candidates, they may want more input with the hiring. Egos are involved.

That's all I've got for now.
What a mess in Austin. If Charlie is fired, the FB program could fall into the abyss lasting a decade or more. Not only will the race card be played, but you will basically blow up the last two recruiting classes. Relationships with the HS fb community will have to start over. You then basically eliminate any top flight coaching prospects from even considering the horns after the way Charlie was treated by what appears to be an unstable athletic department currently. Charlie has a proven track record, so you can't dump it at Peterson's feet and be done with it. The horns will get bludgeoned on the recruiting trail by every single program they compete against for top talent. This will almost guarantee that Baylor, TCU, and aTm will all benefit big time.

I doubt anyone is worried about the race card when our record goes from 8-5 to 6-7 to whatever this season turns out (hint it will be worse than the previous). Along with multiple staff changes, unrest among the team, and double digit blowout losses. Good look claiming racism with that resume.

I doubt anyone is worried about the race card when our record goes from 8-5 to 6-7 to whatever this season turns out (hint it will be worse than the previous). Along with multiple staff changes, unrest among the team, and double digit blowout losses. Good look claiming racism with that resume.
Oh, young grasshopper you are a bit naive. Strong is still trying to clean up Mack's many misfire from the last few years he coached. The program is going to bottom out before it gets better. Strong will get you through it and back toward the top of the conference once he gets Mack's mess cleaned up. If he is fired, the bottom could be a prolonged position for the horns.

Oh, young grasshopper you are a bit naive. Strong is still trying to clean up Mack's many misfire from the last few years he coached. The program is going to bottom out before it gets better. Strong will get you through it and back toward the top of the conference once he gets Mack's mess cleaned up. If he is fired, the bottom could be a prolonged position for the horns.

That may be true, but my post was concerning the numerous posts in this thread regarding the race card being played. There is ample evidence that Strong has done a poor job so far regardless of his skin color. Any racism allegations will be shot down by facts.

That may be true, but my post was concerning the numerous posts in this thread regarding the race card being played. There is ample evidence that Strong has done a poor job so far regardless of his skin color. Any racism allegations will be shot down by facts.
What made Strong so successful at L-ville, but not at UT. What is all the evidence that you claim?

He got a bad ass highschool qb named Bridgewater, for starters.

What made Strong so successful at L-ville, but not at UT. What is all the evidence that you claim?

I've listed the evidence that he has done a poor job. The record is trending downward, his fired/demoted multiple people on his staff, the team unrest has made national news, and we are getting our asses handed to us week in and week out. What more do you want? What evidence is there that he's the right guy for the job, because he was good at Louisville? Do you think Strong is the first coach to succeed at a lower level only to fail at a higher?

Firing Strong (not during the middle of the season) is not going to set us back years anymore than keeping him could also set us back. That's not a relevant argument as the risk of setting the program back exists on both sides of the equation.

Reactions: CFB09
Brown won 10+ games before Young even stepped foot on campus. VY wasn't recruited into a losing program.
Huh? You asked what made charlie successful at Lville. When did make or Vince get brought up in that question bubba?

I've listed the evidence that he has done a poor job. The record is trending downward, his fired/demoted multiple people on his staff, the team unrest has made national news, and we are getting our asses handed to us week in and week out. What more do you want? What evidence is there that he's the right guy for the job, because he was good at Louisville? Do you think Strong is the first coach to succeed at a lower level only to fail at a higher?

Firing Strong (not during the middle of the season) is not going to set us back years anymore than keeping him could also set us back. That's not a relevant argument as the risk of setting the program back exists on both sides of the equation.
If the UT boosters are calling the shots and Strong is let go, rivals of the Horns will be extremely pleased. You start the clock over and add reasonable doubt to any superstar young black fb recruits considering Austin as home for 3-5 years during college. Good luck with the existing 1st two classes of Strong's.

If the UT boosters are calling the shots and Strong is let go, rivals of the Horns will be extremely pleased. You start the clock over and add reasonable doubt to any superstar young black fb recruits considering Austin as home for 3-5 years during college. Good luck with the existing 1st two classes of Strong's.

Haha...this is complete nonsense.

Huh? You asked what made charlie successful at Lville. When did make or Vince get brought up in that question bubba?

I responded to the wrong post. Brown landing VY was not equal to Strong landing Bridgewater. Brown had success pre VY and post VY. Strong has had no success outside of Bridgewater.

Pretty much all of it IMO. I'm not saying Strong should necessarily be fired after this year but if he is, it won't be because he's black.

The RIGHT hire with a proven track record would ease a lot of fears. Players, current or future, don't want to lose.

I apologize for my condescending tone in the first reply, shouldn't have done it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT