ADVERTISEMENT

Poll closed - New one to be created

Who would you prefer to have as head coach next year? I am intentionally leaving out Meyer and Saban

• Les Miles

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Dabo Sweeney (with Venables as DC)

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Dabo Sweeney (without Venables)

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Larry Fedora

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Tom Herman

Votes: 90 40.5%
  • Brent Venables

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Chris Peterson

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Charlie Strong

Votes: 60 27.0%
  • Chip Kelly

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Chris Peterson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Texas is going to make a head coaching change, they better go hard after Tom Herman ASAP. He is by far the best candidate out there and he will be snapped up quickly. I hope Texas doesn't fiddle fart around on this, if indeed they are going to make a change at the top.
Tom Herman is not the man

Just to reset my want list.

1. John Harbaugh
1a Mike Tomlin
3. Chip Kelly
4. Chris Peterson
5. Tom Herman

Just to reset my want list.

1. John Harbaugh
1a Mike Tomlin
3. Chip Kelly
4. Chris Peterson
5. Tom Herman
I only see 3 of those guys as possible. MAYBE 4. Texas doesn't really have anything Tomlin doesn't already have. Unless he really wants to give college a shot he's not coming here.

Chip Kelly is the wild card. San Fran is a mess. Not really his fault either. I could see him sticking it out, but maybe he's looking for an out. Right now I'd put him as a long shot but more likely than Tomlin.

Chris Peterson is the top guy on my list. I've been told over and over he wont come, and if he doesn't I respect that. I'd still make him a Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer offer and make him say no

I only see 3 of those guys as possible. MAYBE 4. Texas doesn't really have anything Tomlin doesn't already have. Unless he really wants to give college a shot he's not coming here.

Chip Kelly is the wild card. San Fran is a mess. Not really his fault either. I could see him sticking it out, but maybe he's looking for an out. Right now I'd put him as a long shot but more likely than Tomlin.

Chris Peterson is the top guy on my list. I've been told over and over he wont come, and if he doesn't I respect that. I'd still make him a Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer offer and make him say no

One of the reasons I use the term "Swinging for the fences" is because it implies low percentage.

In baseball for even a great batter, they know going in that out of every 10 at bats, six times they are going to get out. Three times they will get a hit, and that one time is a wild card. Of those 3 to 4 hits they get if you are truly great like Mickey Mantle 20% of your hits are home runs.

Texas isn't an average team, Texas is a top 10 team and the #1 job in college football. That doesn't mean we can step up to the plate with just our dick in our hand and expect to hit a homerun, we have to come correct with both money and purpose.

Texas should swing for the fences because we can hit it out of the park, we can make that big time hire. We shouldn't have to settle, because we are afraid of someone saying no, you go up to the plate and swing away. If John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin is the guy you want you figure out what it takes to get him and you put that package together to get it done.

I don't know if we are or aren't the Jones-es, but I know we have a lot we can offer a coach and we should offer them what ever it takes to win them.

I agree on swinging for the fences. I think though you have to balance swinging for the fences and reality. John Harbaugh is a home run and a guy who could make the move to college. Same with Kelly. Tomlin though I don't view as someone who would even entertain the thought. I could be wrong we will see

I agree on swinging for the fences. I think though you have to balance swinging for the fences and reality. John Harbaugh is a home run and a guy who could make the move to college. Same with Kelly. Tomlin though I don't view as someone who would even entertain the thought. I could be wrong we will see

If you are Perrin, you start putting out feelers to those guys, heck, all three might say no right off the bat, but you see who would entertain and what they would be looking for to make the jump. When Charlie is fired, you only then do you start having video chats with the agent for your #1 guy and you fly out with the President and AD and maybe a key booster or two and you bring a legit offer. Give him 48 hours to say yes, or you move on.

You do the same thing to #2, if you did your homework you will get one of your top 3.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Just wondering, would UT consider Bill Cowher or Mike Holmgren. Maybe they've been away from the game too long but both were excellent coaches. As stated above I'd make Chris Petersen and Dabo Sweeney tell me no.

Reactions: westx
Just wondering, would UT consider Bill Cowher or Mike Holmgren. Maybe they've been away from the game too long but both were excellent coaches. As stated above I'd make Chris Petersen and Dabo Sweeney tell me no.

Dabo was also at the top of my list until I learned he has a huge buyout clause, like 17 million for this year and on Jan 1, 2017 it drops to 10 million. I highly doubt Texas would pay that.

I would like to know if people picking Herman over Peterson & Dabo truly prefer Herman, or are just being realistic?

I would have expected Peterson & Dabo to run away with the poll, if all candidates were equally available. I could see some Chip Kelly love, but I believe his offense has been copied to the point that he doesn't excite me.

Texas covers pre-season Vegas o/u spread of 6.5 with 7 wins, so it is not just the (potential) season record. Strong is on the hot seat as much because of how those losses arrived with:
1. the team seemingly lacking fundamentals
2. defense underprepared/bad (led to demotion of DC)
3. questionable in-game coaching decisions

If he closes by winning 3/4 or 4/4 of the remaining games, and so ends the regular year with a 7-5 or 8-4 record, then he begins to make the case for another year. It will be as much how those wins look as simply getting the W's. Does it look like the defense has turned the corner and is playing to potential? Do we begin to dominate the lines?

Hook 'em

Reactions: swVAHorn
I know things really didn't end well at USC, but if we're really looking to hit the home run put a feeler out to Pete Carroll. He's proven he can coach in the NFL which was his goal, Seattle's window for winning SB's is closing a bit. He's probably got 3-5 years coaching left. I wouldn't be stunned if he'd listen. Maybe name Gilbert HCIW knowing that Carroll is a short term fix.

On Dabo I've never had him on the list because I've always thought he'd jump to Bama when Saban retires. I do think he'd listen though. He's losing Watson. Not sure what he has coming at QB.

Who here doesn't think Gus M. and coach Boom would kill it at Texas?

Boom sucks as a head coach, if he couldn't make it at Florida, he won't make it at Texas.

Gus M, reminds me too much of Mackovic he might not be as big a dirt bag, but if he were my option, I'd got with Tom Herman over him.

Boom sucks as a head coach, if he couldn't make it at Florida, he won't make it at Texas.

Gus M, reminds me too much of Mackovic he might not be as big a dirt bag, but if he were my option, I'd got with Tom Herman over him.
I'm just curious? How does Gus remind you of macovic. It isn't by coaching recored for sure. Players seem to like him. I know that's not the case with macovic

I'm just curious? How does Gus remind you of macovic. It isn't by coaching recored for sure. Players seem to like him. I know that's not the case with macovic

All offense, doesn't know shit about defense. That is the biggest reason. In 1997, we were all screaming that Texas needs defensive guys, and he takes the best linebacker we recruited and turned him into a WR. Now Kwame Cavil turned out to be a very good receiver, but he could have been a great linebacker. More than we needed receivers we needed defenders. That we we posted one of the worst defenses in school history and he was fired.

To Gus's benefit, I do admit he is smart enough to get defensive coaches that know what they are doing, to that he is several steps above Mackovic but still if I'm going with a guy that is a offensive genius, I'm going with Kelly first and then Herman.

Most offensive coaches don't know shit about defense. And vice versa The key us hiring a strong cordnator for that side of the ball. Kevin Steele doing a nice job as DC at Aubrun. Chip Kelly doesn't know crap about defense he needs a strong DC. Charlie Strong said yesterday he pretty much let's Gilbert cal, the offense and stays out of the way.

The fact that Gus(or any coach) disentangle know anything about one side of the ball or the other would be the last thing I'd worry about. Why do you think Mack always had a strong DC with him (chizick, Muschamp, Robinson) wasn't his forte

What I meant was Malzahn as HC and Boom as DC.

If you listen to sports media, Mike Tomlin is no longer a lock to stay at Pittsburg; apparently, there a growing crowd who aren't thrilled with Tomlin. Last year's playoff win in the first round was the only playoff win in the last 5 years for the Steelers.

Tomlin may be looking at Big Ben and wondering how much more abuse he can take before he hangs it up. The prospect of staying at Pittsburgh while trying to find a new franchise QB may not be all that appealing.

Didn't they fire Chuck Noll?
From everything I can find it says he "retired"

From 1998-2000 bill cowher went
7-9
6-10
9-7
Didn't make the playoffs in any of those years didn't get fired.

Tomlin has a SB win and he's made the playoffs the last two years. Not saying it won't happen but given the steelers history it doesn't seem likely.

There are already talk that Chip Kelly is coming back to college and is looking for a landing spot. Now Tomlin might also be looking. We all know the situation with John Harbaugh.

I think if Charlie faulters we need to make a serious offer to all 3 guys. I would make a 5 year 50 million deal for Harbaugh and Tomlin and a year year 30 million offer to Chip Kelly.

If those 3 are a no-go, then I would go after Herman.

There are already talk that Chip Kelly is coming back to college and is looking for a landing spot. Now Tomlin might also be looking. We all know the situation with John Harbaugh.

I think if Charlie faulters we need to make a serious offer to all 3 guys. I would make a 5 year 50 million deal for Harbaugh and Tomlin and a year year 30 million offer to Chip Kelly.

If those 3 are a no-go, then I would go after Herman.
If those 3 are reachable you gotta make an offer. I think phill knight brings Kelly back to Oregon if he's looking. I've heard reports both ways on Kelly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT