ADVERTISEMENT

Poll closed - New one to be created

Who would you prefer to have as head coach next year? I am intentionally leaving out Meyer and Saban

• Les Miles

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Dabo Sweeney (with Venables as DC)

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Dabo Sweeney (without Venables)

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Larry Fedora

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Tom Herman

Votes: 90 40.5%
  • Brent Venables

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Chris Peterson

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Charlie Strong

Votes: 60 27.0%
  • Chip Kelly

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Chris Peterson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you were Kelly, do you go back to the school that is familiar or take on the job with a much higher ceiling? I honestly don't know the answer to that. My guess is you have to know the mind of Chip Kelly.

If you were Kelly, do you go back to the school that is familiar or take on the job with a much higher ceiling? I honestly don't know the answer to that. My guess is you have to know the mind of Chip Kelly.
From everything I've read about Kelly I get the vibe that he is the type that would rather take a job you wouldn't expect vs one at a traditional power. Just a different dude from everything I've read.

There are already talk that Chip Kelly is coming back to college and is looking for a landing spot. Now Tomlin might also be looking. We all know the situation with John Harbaugh.

I think if Charlie faulters we need to make a serious offer to all 3 guys. I would make a 5 year 50 million deal for Harbaugh and Tomlin and a year year 30 million offer to Chip Kelly.

If those 3 are a no-go, then I would go after Herman.

What's the situation on Harbaugh? Are you referring to our pipe dream scenarios or is there something tangible. I think it's a bit of a leap to go from these random internet reports (which exists on everyone) to the idea of "might be looking"

What's the situation on Harbaugh? Are you referring to our pipe dream scenarios or is there something tangible. I think it's a bit of a leap to go from these random internet reports (which exists on everyone) to the idea of "might be looking"

He is .500 right now, and he is stuck with a lame duck QB and an aging team. He is looking at some lean years and he is in year 3 of a 5 year deal. My guess is he is in a perfect spot to either be fired or just move on.

I think before you call Herrman you gotta call Malzahn. Especially if Strong wins this week. I think if Strong is 7-5, 8-4 you gotta come with s resume. If Herrman is all we got. Let him stay at Houston another year and see what happens. He isn't going anywhere.

Okay gotcha. I think that just leaves the door cracked for a hail mary attempt that he may be ready to move on. There isn't a chance hell that he's getting fired. He's got to deliver years of bad football before he's canned. Hell they are in 1st place right now, so that clock may not even start ticking this year.

Referring to Harbaugh btw

If those 3 are reachable you gotta make an offer. I think phill knight brings Kelly back to Oregon if he's looking. I've heard reports both ways on Kelly
I think you are right about Kelly and Oregon IF he even comes back to college. I saw an article saying he was not interested at all in the college game. That doesn't mean a thing though. If Strong wins out he stays and if he loses 1 but doesn't get blown off the field I think he comes back. And he probably should. I want a change but I am not so hard headed I can't change my mind. I really hope Strong makes me and some others regret saying we wanted to get rid of him. Great for Texas.

Knight is going to be on line 1 if Kelly has any idea of returning to college. They'll have the inside track on him for sure. It's not even a forgone conclusion that we will have an opening, and Oregon will fire Helfrich on the spot if Kelly wants to come.

I think you are right about Kelly and Oregon IF he even comes back to college. I saw an article saying he was not interested at all in the college game. That doesn't mean a thing though. If Strong wins out he stays and if he loses 1 but doesn't get blown off the field I think he comes back. And he probably should. I want a change but I am not so hard headed I can't change my mind. I really hope Strong makes me and some others regret saying we wanted to get rid of him. Great for Texas.
Yeah I've seen mixed reports on Kelly.

I think if Strong gets through this year he's here long term. As I posted in another thread. It would be hard not to win 9-10 games next year.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I think the timing would just have to be perfect to land Kelly. If he wants to come back to college, he isn't holding out for this job. It's not exactly like Oregon is clearly an inferior program either. They've been in the playoffs and in a recent NC game. He has proven you can win there, and Phil Knight will make sure he gets paid.

This whole coaching thing gives me a headache. I really don't want strong back he isn't our future. There have been so many new historical events that I hate to see. We made a new one against Tech the 100 yd strip and score.....Tech will probably put that in their recruiting videos now behind the Crabtree video and both happened against us. The big 12 is down and we can't even win out.

Last edited:
Again, Charlie needs to prove he can be the man and he has 3 weeks to prove it to us. The deck is stacked in his favor. He gets the toughest of the two games at home.

All he has to do is get his team ready, come up with a game plan and execute.

You get us to 8 wins and you prove you have this team going in the right direction.

But remember, you said it yourself, next season this is a 10 win team, I fully expect nothing less than 10 wins; 11 if you count the bowl game.

There are no excuses and no forgiveness. Shit or get off the pot, do or die.

This whole coaching thing gives me a headache. I really don't want strong back he isn't our future. There have been so many new historical events that I hate to see. We made a new one against Tech the 100 yd strip and score.....Tech will probably put that in their recruiting videos now behind the Crabtree video and both happened against us. The big 12 is down and we can't even win out.

That Tech strip and score isn't going down in history as anything more significant than popcorn fart. They didn't win the game and it was a ref screw up to boot. Not to mention it's probably their lone defensive highlight this year. Coach bro can put that in his recruiting video all he wants but it's not even in the same stratosphere as the Crabtree catch and score.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
Again, Charlie needs to prove he can be the man and he has 3 weeks to prove it to us. The deck is stacked in his favor. He gets the toughest of the two games at home.

All he has to do is get his team ready, come up with a game plan and execute.

You get us to 8 wins and you prove you have this team going in the right direction.

But remember, you said it yourself, next season this is a 10 win team, I fully expect nothing less than 10 wins; 11 if you count the bowl game.

There are no excuses and no forgiveness. Shit or get off the pot, do or die.
To me whoever the coach is next year would have to screw up pretty bad not to win at least 9. The road game @USC could be tough in the non con but think UT has more talent.

The conference is going to be down big time. Plus you get ok State,Tech, and k State all at home. If the coach(whoever it is) doesn't at least win 9 they screwed up bad.

I want a college football playoff in year 4 he has had plenty of time no excuses about being young either
I don't think you can ever say playoff or bust because there is a lot of that out of your control. I do think Texas is a dark horse team next year. Basically everyone back, conference is going to be down, only one real non con test. I. Wouldn't be shocked at 10-11 wins honestly

That Tech strip and score isn't going down in history as anything more significant than popcorn fart. They didn't win the game and it was a ref screw up to boot. Not to mention it's probably their lone defensive highlight this year. Coach bro can put that in his recruiting video all he wants but it's not even in the same stratosphere as the Crabtree catch and score.

It's already said to be wildest TD of the year. Sorry I don't make this stuff up.

It's already said to be wildest TD of the year. Sorry I don't make this stuff up.

What does that even mean, and who cares? What recruits are going to tech that anyone gives a $hit about? Is it going to win an espy or something? We won the game and it was a fluke play completely outside of control of coaching. Charlie Strong has done a lot of stupid at Texas that play doesn't make the list.

What does that even mean, and who cares. What recruits are going to tech that anyone gives a $hit about? Is it going to win an espy or something? We won the game and it was a fluke play completely outside of control of coaching. Charlie Strong has done a lot of stupid at Texas that play doesn't make the list.

It will make college highlights for the rest of the season.

How do I even answer back to this if you can't make sense of anything? You have a problem today or something?

There is something wrong with me most days, and I don't think today's an exception. I just don't understand what "it will make college highlights for the rest of the season" means, or why I should care? Where will this be highlighted in the future specifically that will makes this play historic and damage Texas. Gameday, Sportscenter, or Espys?

I don't care if coach Bro shows this to some crappy defensive recruit that no one wants.

The only thing recruits care about is who won the gsme and we won. What's kingsberry going to say "yeah they beat us but look at this man!" How often are UT and Tech really recruiting the sane player anyway?

There is something wrong with me most days, and I don't think today's an exception. I just don't understand what "it will make college highlights for the rest of the season" means, or why I should care? Where will this be highlighted in the future specifically that will makes this play historic and damage Texas. Gameday, Sportscenter, or Espys?

I don't care if coach Bro shows this to some crappy defensive recruit that no one wants.

Nvm man good luck with your thingamajig.

Not to get in the middle of this little cat fight, but I used to worry about things like this as a Spurs fan. Lakers swept Spurs in 2001, two years later, Spurs make Lakers cry. Spurs as #1 seed lose to #8 seed. Couple years later Spurs win the championship.

Who really cares about one play that probably was a refs screw up anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT