ADVERTISEMENT

QB Battle

horn01

Jan 14, 2015
The last thread got locked, I assume because it turned into a personal fight between two posters. Thought I'd start another one. If there is any new "news", or if you think you have some incite, post it.

As more info comes out about the losses suffered by ND (in two separate incidents?) over the weekend, it seems Texas will have opportunities to exploit ND's secondary. We have two track athletes at WR, and another who is 6'6, has good hands, and can jump. And you have to imagine they won't be getting a ton of help as ND looks to stop our ground game.
Now that it seems all but certain that Swoopes has been picked to start, I hope they test him and the ND D with some early shots. If he can't connect, I hope the coaches don't throw away the opportunity that has fallen in their lap.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Horn1...I know your feelings on this. I have to agree with you If we see opportunity, I hope we have the skill to exploit it....If we can move the chains and test em deep every now and again, their DB's will definitely be tested stamina wise. Plus we can keep going at them with fresh legs.

On the flip side, if they are able to exploit our thin OL.( unless we get some injured players back, and collapse the pocket quickly. This will be an interesting game. I still think the play of our O-line will determine the outcome.

Not to start a fight, but I think anyone who doesn't agree with me is a moron.

I KID! I KID!

I'm definitely in the all-Boo-all-the-time camp (until it's obvious he needs to sit a while). I can restate the reasons, but will wait until asked. :)

If you didn't listen to this before, I think it's worth 3½ minutes of your time:

Personal/professional insights into Shane Buechele by QB Coach Jordan Palmer.

Last edited:
Horn1...I know your feelings on this. I have to agree with you If we see opportunity, I hope we have the skill to exploit it....If we can move the chains and test em deep every now and again, their DB's will definitely be tested stamina wise. Plus we can keep going at them with fresh legs.

On the flip side, if they are able to exploit our thin OL.( unless we get some injured players back, and collapse the pocket quickly. This will be an interesting game. I still think the play of our O-line will determine the outcome.
Their best D linemen is going to line up over our center. That more than likely means he is going to require an extra blocker. But this is no secret. It should be expected and planned for. It can also be neutralized if we punish them on the outside with our skill players. Get the ball in the hands of Duvernay or Heard quickly and let their feet do the rest. Run counters if they start to cheat.
(Note Watson never adjusted for our deficiencies. I trust that Gilbert can game plan for obvious mismatches, both in our favor and in ND's)

Reactions: oldhorn2
horn01, unfortunately it's the same posters who can't let it go and have to have the last word on things. Some people can't seem to help themselves when "someone's wrong on the internet". They have to "show" them how wrong they are. Glad you started a new thread. Hope this one stays civil and above board.

Hook'em!

I figured it was closed due to the back and forth love fest between Scholtz and Belldozer, Maybe it was my fault....Regardless, I don't think it matters who gets the start at QB. There are pros and cons for each and the OL is and has been the bigger issue. Moving Perkins to guard should really help get some push and the run game will be our bread and butter. Ultimately, Shane will be leading this team, whether it's the first snap or week six really matters very little to me. I want to see him succeed.

If the OLine starts to collapse , then we are done, doesn't matter who the hell the QB is, everything depends on them

Hook'em
If the line totally collapses on every play, sure. On the other hand, you cant expect each linemen to win each battle on every play. That is a Watson strategy. Their best D-lineman is going to be going up against our center, who is either a true-freshman, or worse, a back up to a true freshman. We are going to have to anticipate that this position is going to need some help. But that's called coaching.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
It's going to be a challenge at oline early. I can 100% promise you that. Shoring up the middle of the oline doesn't concern me as much with the passing game as it does with running the football. If we are unable to run the ball up the gut with the two big horses we have in the backfield, it could get ugly very quickly. We don't have a shifty Jamaal charles that can get out on the edge and outrun people. Running just off tackle and up the gut will have to be our bread and butter. Baylor had the option of using the pass to set up the run, or running to set up the pass. Granted, Baylor ran the ball a little more than they threw it, but they could sling it around all day if they had to.

We can't do that yet.....

I think ND's entire D this year will revolve around their Dline. They have two players expected to get drafted next year (Jones & Rocelle) & another who was a FrAA (Tillery) who they expect a lot from as a Soph. Then Hayes is looking really good finally after being highly recruited. A couple top 10 recruits look good (other Hayes & Kareem). Add in solid returners (Trumbetti & Cage).

I would make the argument that 8 of the best 10 players on ND's entire D are Dlineman. (Morgan & Luke would be the other two).

As a ND fan I hope Texas runs the ball & doesn't throw it. I'm not sure if ND wants to start the season off four DBs lighter against a team who slings it around.

I think if it is a wide open game Texas has an advantage now. If it is man on man football in the trenches ND has the advantage.

I think ND's entire D this year will revolve around their Dline. They have two players expected to get drafted next year (Jones & Rocelle) & another who was a FrAA (Tillery) who they expect a lot from as a Soph. Then Hayes is looking really good finally after being highly recruited. A couple top 10 recruits look good (other Hayes & Kareem). Add in solid returners (Trumbetti & Cage).

I would make the argument that 8 of the best 10 players on ND's entire D are Dlineman. (Morgan & Luke would be the other two).

As a ND fan I hope Texas runs the ball & doesn't throw it. I'm not sure if ND wants to start the season off four DBs lighter against a team who slings it around.

I think if it is a wide open game Texas has an advantage now. If it is man on man football in the trenches ND has the advantage.
Oh we are going to have to be 2 dimensional to beat you. No doubt. We lined up against OU last year and primarily ran the football. We threw it "just" enough to keep them guessing. But make no mistake- we were a one dimensional team that game---- and it worked.

We can't do that against you guys. We'll have to throw it. And we'll have to complete some long passes in order to keep you guys from crowding the box. We must mix in short middle and sideline routes to keep your dbs spread out. I don't see us winning this game unless we throw for somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 yards. Call me crazy but if we throw for 2 fiddy- I think we run for 2 bills +.

But if we don't keep you honest in the secondary, all bets are off.

Oh we are going to have to be 2 dimensional to beat you. No doubt. We lined up against OU last year and primarily ran the football. We threw it "just" enough to keep them guessing. But make no mistake- we were a one dimensional team that game---- and it worked.

We can't do that against you guys. We'll have to throw it. And we'll have to complete some long passes in order to keep you guys from crowding the box. We must mix in short middle and sideline routes to keep your dbs spread out. I don't see us winning this game unless we throw for somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 yards. Call me crazy but if we throw for 2 fiddy- I think we run for 2 bills +.

If you throw for 250 you will probably win. (Unless that is in garbage time in a blowout).

I agree with this and mentioned as much when debating with Decker.

I agree with this and mentioned as much when debating with Decker.

Your last three words of that statement sums it up. You could have told him the score was 38-3 last year & he would argue with you that ND actually scored again & nobody but him saw it. And then declared himself the winner. Lol

So has anyone heard anything solid about Shack? The last thing I read made it seem doubtful that he is going to play. They are no longer saying the expect him to play, they are saying if he is going to play he need to be back at practice this week.

You do get that if Texas goes run heavy they will be lining up the way Baylor did against NC in the bowl game. It will not be traditional out of the I running.

So has anyone heard anything solid about Shack? The last thing I read made it seem doubtful that he is going to play. They are no longer saying the expect him to play, they are saying if he is going to play he need to be back at practice this week.

If he's not back then expect more Swoopes if the center of the line is weak and the QB is going to be taking hits.

Also, as clob suggests the need for deep passes that too is more Swoopes than Buechele.

You do get that if Texas goes run heavy they will be lining up the way Baylor did against NC in the bowl game. It will not be traditional out of the I running.
Dang it Longyac- first we tell everybody where we hide Bevo, now you're telling the enemy we will be lining up in an inverted veer formation?

Loose lips sink ship bro. ;)

Bomb tweeted out a pic I can't get it to post.

Last edited:
There are a variety of things that can be done. Spread principals. Quick passes. Counters. etc etc. Also, my understanding of this offense is the offense gets in its set, and the way the D lines up dictates where the ball is going. I doubt that they intend to run straight into a loaded box.
If Burt (or Johnson) goes out single wide and they send a CB over with no help, the ball is going over the top to him. If we line up in the same set, and they set up the D the same way, the ball is going over the top to him again.
(I'm going to quit harping on this at some point, but this is why it is SO crucial that the QB be able to punish the defense if he is given the opportunity. You can't let those opportunities go)

Ah ok. As long as he isn't in flip flops during practice
I hope he gets back in action pretty soon. No boot, no wrap and walking in flip flops. He's probably around 70% or better based on what Strong said last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT