ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the $EC jobs

Love the little brother jab. I would put Auburn higher.

Yeah, Auburn for sure should be higher.

This post was edited on 2/25 12:54 PM by utisdabomb12

I would put Auburn higher. I also don't think Florida is better than Bama, but that's not the point of this discussion.

Florida is better than Bama in regards to location, Tuscaloosa is a dump. Recruiting gold mine, alumni etc. Only thing Florida is behind Bama is facilities. Their stadium is pretty terrible.

My only problem with this article is the phrase "regardless of recent success". Its like JFB came along and the whole CFB world took a strong dose of crazy pills. Their best season in the last 60 years was a Cotton Bowl victory, good for 3rd in their division, 5th in their conference. That was three years ago and they have gotten worse since then.

The only "success" A&M has had is riding a hype wave into recruiting classes that they have never before (and won't again for a long time) seen in college station. And they haven't done anything with them. They've beaten two ranked team in the past two years, and both of those teams were fools gold. 2013 Duke, and 2014 SC. Neither one of those teams is exactly a world beater.

The problem with A&M, is that it is still A&M. They can put big SEC logos on their merchandise, billboards, hell tattoo it on their recruits foreheads, but in the end A&M is still a mediocre team in a shtty town with an embarrassing fan base. Their tradition seems cool until you realize these people have nothing else in their lives. Thats why Kevin Murray tore them a new one after Kyler signed with them.

"The only "success" A&M has had is riding a hype wave into recruiting classes that they have never before (and won't again for a long time) seen in college station. And they haven't done anything with them. They've beaten two ranked team in the past two years, and both of those teams were fools gold. 2013 Duke, and 2014 SC. Neither one of those teams is exactly a world beater."

Yep. The hype behind A&M was all because of Manziel. It's not coincidence that said hype fell off after Manziel went to the NFL (you saw that impact in recruiting).

I personally don't think Sumlin is all that great of a recruiter. A&M was a cool school because of Manziel. Anyone could have recruited well last year at A&M. A&M pulled in one elite class in 2014 because they had that Manziel hype. Other than that, Sumlin has been a decent recruiter at best.

I'll take a step further than that. The only reason A&M had that unrelenting hype for nearly two and a half years was because JFB beat Alabama at Alabama. Take that win away and what was the huge accomplishment of his, or the team, or Sumlin? I'll wait. Notta. There is nothing there. The second best win I guess was over the Sooners in the Cotton Bowl, but that was the weakest the big 12 has been in a decade and OU was no Goliath.

I've watched CFB for a long time, and I've seen teams enjoy the hype machine...Bama, Florida, Texas, USC, going back a ways Ohio State. It was NOTHING compared to how much non stopped coverage A&M got, for accomplishing relatively little. Its as if no one was willing to take a step back and ask themselves "what has this team done"?

So sure, recruits who probably didn't give two shits about CFB until 2011ish thought A&M was the coolest thing since sliced bread. You couldn't turn on the tv without seeing something about them. They were building new facilities. Their coach had DJs at practice and their QB was hanging out with celebrities. For a couple of years, Sumlin had the media in his pocket the way no team ever has, and he used it to recruit. Good for him, thats what any coach would do, but that doesn't make him a recruiting wizard.

"The only reason A&M had that unrelenting hype for nearly two and a half years was because JFB beat Alabama at Alabama. "

True

Looks right to me as well. I might have put Auburn one step up, but thats it.....The biggest thing to me is.....so what?

just off season chatter. I'm currently not applying for head coaching jobs so I wouldn't say that I "care" beyond the fact that I am literally waiting for paint to dry and its something to discuss.

LMAO... does anyone else notice that there have been NO aggys in this thread trying to discredit it or discredit Texas...... maybe they have finally accepted the truth?

Do you need us on here? First you want us to get the hell out, then you want us to come and argue?
smile.r191677.gif

I would say the list is about right. You could argue Auburn ahead of A&M and would be justified. I think for YEARS A&M has lived off of the sleeping giant mentality. I've heard it from the media numerous times. They have everything you would need for a top notch program. They got a very big boost from Manziel. They got an even bigger boost from joining the SEC. It is the premier conference in college football and great coaches want to coach against the best and be a part of the best. A&M is I believe, check me if I'm wrong the 17th most wins in college football history and probably the next 2-3 years moves to top 14. It's not like all of this came from just Manziel. It's just now you take a top 15 program and add it to the SEC, upgrade the facilities, market in a different way and yes it's a lucrative program. They have money to throw around as much as most of the greats. Why would anyone argue that Texas isn't one of the best programs in the country to coach for? It's not a slam dunk for sure due to the fact that they didn't get their guy in Strong. He may turn out to be great, but he wasn't their first choice, so not everyone thinks Texas is the greatest gig. You could argue 5-6 of those programs to be better but Texas belongs top 5 without a doubt.

Originally posted by Black_SoxAg:
Do you need us on here? First you want us to get the hell out, then you want us to come and argue?
smile.r191677.gif

I would say the list is about right. You could argue Auburn ahead of A&M and would be justified. I think for YEARS A&M has lived off of the sleeping giant mentality. I've heard it from the media numerous times. They have everything you would need for a top notch program. They got a very big boost from Manziel. They got an even bigger boost from joining the SEC. It is the premier conference in college football and great coaches want to coach against the best and be a part of the best. A&M is I believe, check me if I'm wrong the 17th most wins in college football history and probably the next 2-3 years moves to top 14. It's not like all of this came from just Manziel. It's just now you take a top 15 program and add it to the SEC, upgrade the facilities, market in a different way and yes it's a lucrative program. They have money to throw around as much as most of the greats. Why would anyone argue that Texas isn't one of the best programs in the country to coach for? It's not a slam dunk for sure due to the fact that they didn't get their guy in Strong. He may turn out to be great, but he wasn't their first choice, so not everyone thinks Texas is the greatest gig. You could argue 5-6 of those programs to be better but Texas belongs top 5 without a doubt.

LOL.... no we don't need you aggys on here.. but since a lot of you tend to spend more time here than on any board associated with the aggys, it stands to reason that some would have come forward before you. ;)

And fwiw - yeah everyone that KNOWs anything, knows that Texas is one of the best coaching jobs in the country., Maybe Strong wasn't our 1st choice, but there is a reason publications like this, and ESPN etc have labeled Texas as one of - if not THE - best in CFB... as well as one of the most profitable brands in all of sports = pro and college....

And with Texas being top 3 in wins, bowl appearances, bowl wins etc etc... NOBODY would argue that 5 or 6 other programs are better job wise than Texas...feel free to find an article that shows Texas outside of the top 3-5 of CFB in terms of coaching jobs for football.... you will be looking forever and never find it, but feel free to try.

:D

"Do you need us on here? First you want us to get the hell out, then you want us to come and argue?
smile.r191677.gif

I would say the list is about right. You could argue Auburn ahead of A&M and would be justified. I think for YEARS A&M has lived off of the sleeping giant mentality. I've heard it from the media numerous times. They have everything you would need for a top notch program. They got a very big boost from Manziel. They got an even bigger boost from joining the SEC. It is the premier conference in college football and great coaches want to coach against the best and be a part of the best. A&M is I believe, check me if I'm wrong the 17th most wins in college football history and probably the next 2-3 years moves to top 14. It's not like all of this came from just Manziel. It's just now you take a top 15 program and add it to the SEC, upgrade the facilities, market in a different way and yes it's a lucrative program. They have money to throw around as much as most of the greats. Why would anyone argue that Texas isn't one of the best programs in the country to coach for? It's not a slam dunk for sure due to the fact that they didn't get their guy in Strong. He may turn out to be great, but he wasn't their first choice, so not everyone thinks Texas is the greatest gig. You could argue 5-6 of those programs to be better but Texas belongs top 5 without a doubt."

did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-927.gif

Why are you telling me this? I just told you it's a without a doubt top 5 college job. I have no problems with Texas being there. You could argue number 1 and have a good argument. You could also have 3 or 4 other teams that would have the same legit claim and they could be right. I believe A&M is a top 15 job...the list that Texas is number 1 has A&M 11th I believe. A&M isn't as crappy as most want to make it out to be. A&M biggest problem is that they have no consistency. Changing coaches every 3-4 years is killing us.

You can judge hoe valuable a job is by who takes it when it becomes available.

Alabama
Sabah

Ohio state
Meyer

Michigan
Harbaugh

Texas???? Strong

We are Texas and you are aggy that will never change.
smokin.r191677.gif

1. Texas
Ah, we've arrived at our destination. If every Power 5 job suddenly opened tomorrow ... Texas would be the most desirable choice. Even its conference and regional rivals didn't argue much with those results. "I mean, what more could you want?" one Big 12 coach said. Austin is a vibrant, diverse and growing city that is receiving international acclaim; it's a destination for coaches and recruits alike (if only for Franklin Barbeque brisket). The facilities aren't brand-new, but they're still among the best in the country. Even so, you're not going to catch the school's brass sitting on its hands -- not with A&M's headline-grabbing stadium project and the acclaim for new venues at Baylor and TCU. Texas let everyone know last summer that it had earmarked $750 million for athletic facilities spending over the next 5-10 years. That includes updates to the football building and some parts of DKR Stadium. The administration is proud enough -- and has deep enough pockets -- to make sure the football program has everything it could possibly need, and more. As for recruiting, Texas high school football is as close to a Minor League feeder as there is for college football. Skill players are especially plentiful. And QBs, too, though that hasn't been Texas' strong suit in recent years. The Longhorns have a gigantic fan base but it has never been known as particularly exuberant once inside DKR. The "wine-and-cheese" metaphor for North Carolina basketball also works for Texas football, one coach suggested. It's a fairly accurate portrayal, though a counterpoint is that some of that is coach-driven; someone could come in and immediately enthuse the Exes. The only discernible downside of the gig is a sometimes turbulent political climate at the university, where, in addition to the head football coach, the AD and president have been run off in the past year. A powerful or successful enough coach, however, can avoid the political potholes. There's pressure involved, sure, but the job also entails myriad perks. The Forty Acres is college football nirvana, all the live long day

Link

Originally posted by AnimalMother:
You can judge hoe valuable a job is by who takes it when it becomes available.

Alabama
Sabah

Ohio state
Meyer

Michigan
Harbaugh

Texas???? Strong
Ignorance.... and you DO realize that Strong has done more than any coach at a&m - within the last 75 years- in his career.

One could argue that Strong was a key piece in Meyer becoming who he was as Strong was the DC when he blew up at Florida.... but your ignorance lets us all know you have no clue what you are talking about....

And fwiw - some of our higher choices may have turned down the job b/c they knew they simply couldn't handle it and all that comes with it.... nice waste of your first few posts by proving how retarded you are.

Strong should have been hired on at a USC, Auburn, Florida years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT