ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2016

Holy f**k, could the SEC dick-riders in College Station be any more embarrassing and pathetic?

Their pitch: "Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and Auburn put a lot of DTs in the NFL, so naturally you should want to play for us."

Ry5JifC.jpg

Reactions: LonghornMM
^^^
Bet he omitted that the SEC has 40% more teams than the Big12 and that most of those SEC guys came out of 2 schools; LSU and Bama.

Reactions: Cdun
...bet he omitted the fact that UT puts twice as many DTs into the league than aggy too. Honest bunch over there in collie station. Of course if your school has no accomplishments, I guess sucking off your conference mates is your only recourse. Beyond pitiful. :rolleyes:

Hey, if the kid isn't in to things like the truth and facts.......he will fit right in at ATM. I thought he's an OU lean anyway.

Holy f**k, could the SEC dick-riders in College Station be any more embarrassing and pathetic?

Their pitch: "Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and Auburn put a lot of DTs in the NFL, so naturally you should want to play for us."

Ry5JifC.jpg
ATM = #103 in Rush Defense. #13 in SEC, eeking past South Carolina, who was so bad their coach quit midseason. How many of those DT's are going to the NFL since Sumlin's arrival?
http://espn.go.com/college-football...at/rushing/position/defense/sort/rushingYards

Reactions: Dogged Horn
...bet he omitted the fact that UT puts twice as many DTs into the league than aggy too. Honest bunch over there in collie station. Of course if your school has no accomplishments, I guess sucking off your conference mates is your only recourse. Beyond pitiful. :rolleyes:

There are 0 aggy DTs playing on Sunday. We have 3 or 4 and will being adding Ridgeway to that list come draft day.

They used the exact same pitch last year. They actually had a slide show about SEC players in the NFL compared to the big 12. Again, no mention of what schools those players came from.
It's kind of painful that kids will fall for this but not entirely surprising.
So is this guy out now?

Statistics-you can make any data set fit your agenda by omitting parts and highlighting others. It's like a magic show.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
They used the exact same pitch last year. They actually had a slide show about SEC players in the NFL compared to the big 12. Again, no mention of what schools those players came from.
It's kind of painful that kids will fall for this but not entirely surprising.
So is this guy out now?

No, he's not out.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Statistics-you can make any data set fit your agenda by omitting parts and highlighting others. It's like a magic show.
Yes this isn't a sophisticated statistical manipulation though...its sleight of hand. It's a a distraction from the truth, and not even a clever one. I would hope that most people could see through it very easily; his comments lead me to believe he bought it.

One would have to think their pitch isn't that bland and that they are selling "hey we are still new to the SEC and come play with the big boys where the big boys make it to the NFL.....sure that isn't us yet, but give us a few years...be that guy".

Surely the kid would ask how many of these NFL DTs are yours. And they respond with "none....YET but it is an easier path for you where you will face real pro style O's instead of huffing and puffing chasing 18 WRs in the BigXII". And they show the #s to support the theory and blame their lack of pro prospects as newness.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
One would have to think their pitch isn't that bland and that they are selling "hey we are still new to the SEC and come play with the big boys where the big boys make it to the NFL.....sure that isn't us yet, but give us a few years...be that guy".

Surely the kid would ask how many of these NFL DTs are yours. And they respond with "none....YET but it is an easier path for you where you will face real pro style O's instead of huffing and puffing chasing 18 WRs in the BigXII". And they show the #s to support the theory and blame their lack of pro prospects as newness.
You would hope so.

Tuesday's recruiting update from Bobby Burton

The news of running backs coach Tommie Robinson's departure yesterday likely took some fans by surprise. I heard early yesterday morning that it might be happening but I didn't have enough to break the news until later in the afternoon. I mentioned in my post yesterday that I think it's a good thing for both parties. Here's why: When Robinson told Charlie Strong of the USC job offer, Strong did not attempt to keep Robinson. There was no counter offer, no "we really want you here" speech. There was nothing other than a "good luck" exchanged. Further, Robinson's contract was up at the end of January and he had not been told whether or not it would be renewed. In coaching circles, it's a head coach's polite way of telling you to go try to find another job.

For Robinson's replacement, I expect Texas to look to either the college or pro ranks. I would not be surprised if the eventual hire also had some special teams experience. A direct tie to the state of Texas would be a plus, but not mandatory. What is mandatory is that the coach must be a good recruiter. It's where Robinson came up short. He just didn't have the verve for recruiting.

I've been covering recruiting professionally for 23 years. I'd consider myself an expert on the topic, just as anyone else who has done a single thing for that long would. So I feel like I can tell whether or not a team's recruiting momentum coming off of a recruiting weekend is real or merely wishful thinking. The Longhorns' momentum is very real. What's more, the momentum is happening at the positions of biggest need and with the biggest and best prospects remaining on the Texas board. I don't know how this recruiting class will turn out. No one really does. But I know that I continue to be impressed with Strong as a recruiter. He's going after guys that can make a difference for Texas. And he's doing it relentlessly.

If he signs another top 10 class, I think it's time for folks who worry about making more early offers to certain players or who think Texas recruiting is disorganized to realize that there's a method to Strong's madness. At the end of the day, recruiting is about getting players into your program, not necessarily how you go about doing it.

I continue to hear that quarterback Matthew Merrick may have a chance in Sterlin Gilbert's offense. Merrick's got a strong arm, is reasonably athletic and has hit the weight room pretty hard since joining the Horns in August. Merrick's also an accomplished former point guard in basketball. That always seems to help because those guys seemingly understand the importance of getting the ball out quick, which will be a big factor in Gilbert's offense. Furthermore, Gilbert's offense does not put an incredible burden on the QB to make multiple reads on a play-by-play basis. So Merrick's relative lack of experience at the position may not be as big of a hurdle as many might expect. I'm not sitting here saying Matthew Merrick will be the starter come August. But I think he has as much or more of a chance than Kai Locksley.

We all obviously agree that Texas needed to change offensive coordinators this off-season. But there's one aspect of the 2015 version of the Longhorns I think Gilbert should keep, and that's the 18-wheeler package. Texas seemed to improve drastically over a year ago in short-yardage situations and I think there's little question that the run-heavy set Texas utilized in 2015 was a big reason for the success. The success was similar to Bryan Harsin's implementation of the wildcat using Fozzy Whitaker as the point-man. It'll be interesting to see if Gilbert retains any version of the 18-wheeler this spring.

Tuesday's recruiting update from Bobby Burton

The news of running backs coach Tommie Robinson's departure yesterday likely took some fans by surprise. I heard early yesterday morning that it might be happening but I didn't have enough to break the news until later in the afternoon. I mentioned in my post yesterday that I think it's a good thing for both parties. Here's why: When Robinson told Charlie Strong of the USC job offer, Strong did not attempt to keep Robinson. There was no counter offer, no "we really want you here" speech. There was nothing other than a "good luck" exchanged. Further, Robinson's contract was up at the end of January and he had not been told whether or not it would be renewed. In coaching circles, it's a head coach's polite way of telling you to go try to find another job.

For Robinson's replacement, I expect Texas to look to either the college or pro ranks. I would not be surprised if the eventual hire also had some special teams experience. A direct tie to the state of Texas would be a plus, but not mandatory. What is mandatory is that the coach must be a good recruiter. It's where Robinson came up short. He just didn't have the verve for recruiting.

I've been covering recruiting professionally for 23 years. I'd consider myself an expert on the topic, just as anyone else who has done a single thing for that long would. So I feel like I can tell whether or not a team's recruiting momentum coming off of a recruiting weekend is real or merely wishful thinking. The Longhorns' momentum is very real. What's more, the momentum is happening at the positions of biggest need and with the biggest and best prospects remaining on the Texas board. I don't know how this recruiting class will turn out. No one really does. But I know that I continue to be impressed with Strong as a recruiter. He's going after guys that can make a difference for Texas. And he's doing it relentlessly.

If he signs another top 10 class, I think it's time for folks who worry about making more early offers to certain players or who think Texas recruiting is disorganized to realize that there's a method to Strong's madness. At the end of the day, recruiting is about getting players into your program, not necessarily how you go about doing it.

I continue to hear that quarterback Matthew Merrick may have a chance in Sterlin Gilbert's offense. Merrick's got a strong arm, is reasonably athletic and has hit the weight room pretty hard since joining the Horns in August. Merrick's also an accomplished former point guard in basketball. That always seems to help because those guys seemingly understand the importance of getting the ball out quick, which will be a big factor in Gilbert's offense. Furthermore, Gilbert's offense does not put an incredible burden on the QB to make multiple reads on a play-by-play basis. So Merrick's relative lack of experience at the position may not be as big of a hurdle as many might expect. I'm not sitting here saying Matthew Merrick will be the starter come August. But I think he has as much or more of a chance than Kai Locksley.

We all obviously agree that Texas needed to change offensive coordinators this off-season. But there's one aspect of the 2015 version of the Longhorns I think Gilbert should keep, and that's the 18-wheeler package. Texas seemed to improve drastically over a year ago in short-yardage situations and I think there's little question that the run-heavy set Texas utilized in 2015 was a big reason for the success. The success was similar to Bryan Harsin's implementation of the wildcat using Fozzy Whitaker as the point-man. It'll be interesting to see if Gilbert retains any version of the 18-wheeler this spring.

Metcalf won't be happy about reading this about Merrick lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT