ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

Remembering Thomas killing it in 2005 against USC. Or JMike over the middle against OU. Boy to we need a TE that can convert 3rd downs.

Reactions: M_A_G_A and westx
2018 will remain intriguing through the month of August, with multiple writers alluding to several more Texas commits this month.

Coburn and Epps are both expected to commit later this month, and Israel Antwine is a new name but one to watch as well. All 3 are strong Texas leans. D'shawn Jamison is another guy who I would not be shocked to see commit any minute. Ghirmai could also pull the trigger soon.

Bobby Brown is set to announce Nov 2nd. I think we may have 2 DTs prior to that and I think he is headed elsewhere anyways.

We have 15 commits and only about 10 more spots. Things are getting interesting.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Not sure Epps commits to Texas. Seems like he is getting slow played to see how Ford and Muhammad shake out.

Not sure Epps commits to Texas. Seems like he is getting slow played to see how Ford and Muhammad shake out.

I agree, it does seem that Herman is walking a fine line with this one. Hopefully we end up with at least one of those 3.

Coburn makes it official!

Hope we see some more beef in this class soon!

Finally landed a DLine recruit. Coburn will be a great fit at the nose position. He is short (6'1) and stout, 325 but word is he has a great motor, good get off, and is agile.

We could be done at nose seeing as we only put one on the field at a time. We could look to add on Israel Antwine and will certainly be looking for some bodies at DE (Tre Brown, Jo Ossai)

And with the Coburn commit, Texas moves back up to number 3 in the composite, with an average ranking of 93.28 that is only best by Ohio State. We have 1 5 star and 11 4 stars. Our 4 3 stars include the number 1 kicker in the nation and number 1 TE. Our other 3 stars are Byron Hobbs and Reese Moore who are guys that could come in, develop and contribute down the road. We have 8 players in the top 104, and 12 in the top 300. We have 7 of the top 13 players in Texas (#WRTS).

This is an impressive class with a lot of guys that will make an impact. A few more linemen on both sides of the ball and this is a solid, balanced class. The additional WRs, TEs, and DBs we are looking to land are icing on the cake at this point.

Need to keep the big guys coming.

If we are going to compete with the elite of College Football we must dominate the LOS.

When you get right down to it, control the LOS and don't turn the ball over and you win way more games than you lose.

Coburn was very much needed on the defense side of the ball as this class is shaping up great but I question "where is the beef"? I hope we can get a little more.

Certainly still in need of some beef but Coburn certainly isn't filler. Antwine would provide some good depth while Tre (Bobby) Brown would be a huge get (think he is Alabama bound). Who knows what we get at DE. Jo Ossai looked all Aggy but Texas has made a strong push and he may end up with whoever has the better season. I'm still hopeful we can flip Max Wright or get Ronnie Perkins on campus for a visit at least.

We are looking for 2 more OL to partner with Reese Moore. Angilau and Ghirmai are the top names. Ghirmai is committing in 2 weeks, between us and UCLA. Angilau hasn't announced a timetable but is looking at us and Utah. Getting one or both would be huge. After those two we are looking to flip someone or find some diamonds in the rough.

Coburn was very much needed on the defense side of the ball as this class is shaping up great but I question "where is the beef"? I hope we can get a little more.

As already covered, DL in talent, in Texas for 2018, is very limited chances are good that it will have to be filled by guys that blow up in their senior year or from OOS. 2019 has a bunch of DL talent.

As already covered, DL in talent, in Texas for 2018, is very limited chances are good that it will have to be filled by guys that blow up in their senior year or from OOS. 2019 has a bunch of DL talent.
Didn't UT take 6 D Linemen a year or 2 ago? How many are still left?

No. 7 TE Malcolm Epps commits to Texas over Texas A&M

On the recruiting trail, Tom Herman continues to embarrass the Aggies in the Houston area.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
I don't know if I agree with this strategy of recruiting TEs. Wasn't the previous plan of just taking whatever defensive player at the end of the depth chart that was close to 6'4" 250lbs and making them our TE working? If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say.

I don't know if I agree with this strategy of recruiting TEs. Wasn't the previous plan of just taking whatever defensive player at the end of the depth chart that was close to 6'4" 250lbs and making them our TE working? If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say.

?????....working?...what was working? We havnt had a decent TE since Finley .....and he wasnt all that. I was not aware that we had ANY plan the last 7 years as far as TE's go.

If it aint broke???....we have been a veritable poster child of broke as far as TE's go.

Glad to see we got a top rated true TE. Hopefully he will be a key component in the offense in the coming years, which is a position of need, and one that has underperformed since Jermichael left.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
?????....working?...what was working? We havnt had a decent TE since Finley .....and he wasnt all that. I was not aware that we had ANY plan the last 7 years as far as TE's go.

If it aint broke???....we have been a veritable poster child of broke as far as TE's go.

I sense sarcasm in bubbas post.

Definitely sarcasm in my post above. That epic DL haul that we all thought Strong pulled in is turning out to be an epic failure. We really need something from Daniels and Christmas because the rest are pretty much gone.

Definitely sarcasm in my post above. That epic DL haul that we all thought Strong pulled in is turning out to be an epic failure. We really need something from Daniels and Christmas because the rest are pretty much gone.
I would not call it a failure just yet. Wilbon is in the 2 deep right now isn't he? losing 2 hurts the class for sure though. I think Wilbon, Christmas, and Daniels are all capable of doing very well. Wilbon and Christmas played some as true freshmen.

I would not call it a failure just yet. Wilbon is in the 2 deep right now isn't he? losing 2 hurts the class for sure though. I think Wilbon, Christmas, and Daniels are all capable of doing very well. Wilbon and Christmas played some as true freshmen.

Yeah way too early to call the 2016 DL class a failure. You still have: Wilbon, Christmas, Daniels, Roach, Fitzgerald all entering their 2nd year. Plus Imade switched to DT.

Last edited:
Reactions: swVAHorn
Fair enough, but I was mainly speaking of the DT haul. Which after whiffing in 2015 on Lampkin Strong inked 5 in 2016. But of those 5 Wilbon, Daniels, and Christmas are all that's left. We need those guys to be productive because 3 DTs across two cycles is not very deep.

Reactions: swVAHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT