ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

Fair enough, but I was mainly speaking of the DT haul. Which after whiffing in 2015 on Lampkin Strong inked 5 in 2016. But of those 5 Wilbon, Daniels, and Christmas are all that's left. We need those guys to be productive because 3 DTs across two cycles is not very deep.
True. I would like a Wardaddy to step forward to. Texas hasn't really had one of those in a while.

Keondre Coburn was a great pick-up for a defensive line. We didn't have any D-linemen on board so getting a commitment from him was huge.

Coburn is a great fit for the Nose tackle position in Orlando's 3 man front. He is just over 6 feet but already over 320 pounds. Don't worry, he isn't a sloppy 325 though. I imagine our S&C guys will work to keep him around 320 but ensure that his muscle to fat ratio is appropriate.

On film, Coburn has a good quick first step and good power. He knocks back blockers regularly. He holds his own against the double team and doesn't get pushed back himself. The most impressive thing about his highlights is his motor. For a 320 pound interior lineman he really stays after the play. He makes multiple tackles down the line of scrimmage and if he misses the tackle in the backfield he doesn't give up, he keeps pursuing and oftentimes finds himself back in the play. This is a hard trait to teach, especially to a lineman. He could be a day one contributor depending on his development and the depth chart next year.

With the addition of Malcolm Epps at TE, Texas 2018 class is full at the position.

Epps is currently a tall, lanky and very athletic TE. He stands 6'6" but only weighs about 230 pounds. He isn't a speedster but his size gives teams fits. His basketball background shows in his ability to go up and get the ball. He appears to have good hands.

His blocking isn't a strength at this point but with some time in S&C, I could see him adding quite a bit of size and strength to his frame. With some good coaching and development he could be a complete package TE. Even if he doesn't develop as a great blocker, he will be a size mismatch that will be effective in the redzone and on 3rd and short situations.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
So when did we land 6'3", 275-lb. Okie State long snapper Kaleb Smith as a grad transfer? Hadn't heard a thing about this before today.

http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7474&path=

An overlooked addition at a critical position. Having to trot out a 5'11", 205-lb. guy at LS in the third year of the last regime demonstrated as clearly as anything the borderline criminal level of neglect the previous staff showed toward special teams.

Reactions: swVAHorn
So when did we land 6'3", 275-lb. Okie State long snapper Kaleb Smith as a grad transfer? Hadn't heard a thing about this before today.

http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7474&path=

An overlooked addition at a critical position. Having to trot out a 5'11", 205-lb. guy at LS in the third year of the last regime demonstrated as clearly as anything the borderline criminal level of neglect the previous staff showed toward special teams.
I am kind of surprised the last staff came to the games on time to be honest. They were not detailed oriented at all. Far from it. I want to see a staff that takes every minute detail into account and has a plan ready....a staff where players actually get better over the season and not stay the same or get worse...ie Holton Hill???

Last edited:
Big Board Recruiting Series: The numbers game
O-line is another position where I expect attrition. This time from some upper classmen. There are 10 players who are Juniors or Sophomores, and there are certainly a few of them who won't contribute this year or be in line to contribute down the road.

In summary:
80 scholarship players now
- 11 seniors
- 3 early to NFL
- 4 to transfer or retirement
= 23 available scholarships

I think we sign 12-13 players on offense and defense, plus the K. So we will need about 26 scholarships. We aren't too far off from that number and with unexpected injuries or unforeseen attrition, I think Herman gets to or close to that number.

Well, I was right several weeks back when I predicted some attrition at the O-line position. It seemed to be a crowded position and I figured a younger player would be passed up on the depth chart. It seems that is what happened with Delance who reportedly had fallen down the depth chart and was even getting fewer snaps than true freshman Sam Cosmi.

Why Delance had slipped is anyone's guess. He was certainly a highly regarded recruit but it seems that he didn't develop as expected over the last year. Hopefully a change of scenery is good for the young man.

Well, I was right several weeks back when I predicted some attrition at the O-line position. It seemed to be a crowded position and I figured a younger player would be passed up on the depth chart. It seems that is what happened with Delance who reportedly had fallen down the depth chart and was even getting fewer snaps than true freshman Sam Cosmi.

Why Delance had slipped is anyone's guess. He was certainly a highly regarded recruit but it seems that he didn't develop as expected over the last year. Hopefully a change of scenery is good for the young man.

Eric Cuffee is another name being thrown around recently as an attrition candidate. I think if he were to stick with it, the folks in front of him on the depth chart will graduate or go pro but at that point some youngsters may pass him up. Especially given the haul of DBs we have coming in now.

The timing of Delance, and possibly Cuffee, leaving seems a bit odd but they may be seeing where they stand in the pecking order for the first time right now (ie True Freshmen Josh Thompson is ahead of Cuffee) and they want to pull out of Texas before starting classes and losing a year of eligibility.

Damion Miller won't make it to campus after all. He apparently needed to pass an online course and couldn't get the job done. It is unfortunate as he was one of our best recruits in the 2017 class. The blow is somewhat softened due to our quality depth at WR, including a star studded 2018 class.

In terms of scholarship numbers for the 2018 class, I predicted that we would need about 10 guys to leave early for the NFL or transfer. For the sake of simplicity, we can consider this a transfer which brings us to a total of 2 before the season has even started and gives us 18 available scholarships for 2018.

Damion Miller won't make it to campus after all. He apparently needed to pass an online course and couldn't get the job done. It is unfortunate as he was one of our best recruits in the 2017 class. The blow is somewhat softened due to our quality depth at WR, including a star studded 2018 class.

In terms of scholarship numbers for the 2018 class, I predicted that we would need about 10 guys to leave early for the NFL or transfer. For the sake of simplicity, we can consider this a transfer which brings us to a total of 2 before the season has even started and gives us 18 available scholarships for 2018.

It's refreshing to see the new staff dominating the state in recruiting before they have even played a game. It's much needed as this class is crucial to rebuild the talent level and depth. Losing Miller is just another blow to the lowest ranked class in the history of internet recruiting. In fact the roster is currently flanked by the 3 worst classes in modern history: 2017, 2013, and 2014. This idea that Texas is stacked with talent just waiting for a coach is silly. What are there two all conference players and one was a punter?

Reactions: oldhorn2
It's refreshing to see the new staff dominating the state in recruiting before they have even played a game. It's much needed as this class is crucial to rebuild the talent level and depth. Losing Miller is just another blow to the lowest ranked class in the history of internet recruiting. In fact the roster is currently flanked by the 3 worst classes in modern history: 2017, 2013, and 2014. This idea that Texas is stacked with talent just waiting for a coach is silly. What are there two all conference players and one was a punter?

How does our talent level stack up to Kansas? We have recruited better than anyone in the B12 if you go by rankings. I find it hard to believe we don't have the talent to win most our games. Coaching matters.

How does our talent level stack up to Kansas? We have recruited better than anyone in the B12 if you go by rankings. I find it hard to believe we don't have the talent to win most our games. Coaching matters.

I think both of y'all are right to a degree. We have a ton of talent and have recruited well. At the same time, we have lost a lot of guys to attrition. We are stacked at certain positions, DB and WR for example, but have some obvious lack of depth elsewhere. QB, OL and DL are all very thin at this time.

If we can avoid catastrophic injuries, we will have no problem matching up with our opponents. USC and OU will be the only 2 with better personnel as a whole. It won't take us long to be stacked top to bottom once again.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I am kind of surprised the last staff came to the games on time to be honest. They were not detailed oriented at all. Far from it. I want to see a staff that takes every minute detail into account and has a plan ready....a staff where players actually get better over the season and not stay the same or get worse...ie Holton Hill???

sorry I missed this earlier....great analogy!....now if you want to get an idea of the detail Herman goes to.....did you see the report that Herman sent Roach to Oregon to the Nike headquarters to have a special shoe made for him ?...That kind of "detail" work frankly blows my mind.

Reactions: swVAHorn
sorry I missed this earlier....great analogy!....now if you want to get an idea of the detail Herman goes to.....did you see the report that Herman sent Roach to Oregon to the Nike headquarters to have a special shoe made for him ?...That kind of "detail" work frankly blows my mind.
When I heard Herman talking about that special shoe I was very impressed.

Big Board Series: Defensive End

I hope some of you guys are enjoying these posts. Any feedback is appreciated and if they are just too much let me know.

Moving over to the defensive side of the ball, there is some uncertainty in how things at DE will play out. In a short time period, top target Max Wright committed to TAMU as expected, while Tatum flipped to OU as expected. While neither were all to surprising, it was hard to see things go down that way and leave us wondering, where do we go from here?

While Tatum is a done deal, Wright should be someone we continue to hotly pursue. Sumlin's seat is as hot as ever and a coaching change could change everything for Wright. He seems more committed to the school and not the coach so pulling him at that point may still be a challenge.

After those two, keep an eye on Ronnie Perkins and Joseph Ossai. Both players are leans to our rivals, OU and TAMU respectively. However, there have been some positive developments lately. Texas has gained a bit of steam with Perkins recently with a new CB pick. They are also doing well in Missouri and already have one defensive commit (Ayodele) and will soon have another (Rondale Moore) to recruit Perkins as fellow Missourians. Today, the thought is he will head to OU, but there is still time left in this recruitment.

For Ossai, he was previously a big TAMU lean (80/20ish) but recently Texas has closed the gap and it is now more like 60/40. TAMU is still in the lead but as was said with Wright, coaching uncertainty could change everything.

After these two there are not many options. Texas could pursue one of the Texas kids who are committed elsewhere and at least land 1 or 2 3 stars along the d-line. This won't be our best position of the class but could range end up anywhere between 2 4 stars or 2 3 stars.

DE: Expected to take 2
Xavier Thomas (SC) 5 star - no offer, Clemson
Max Wright (Tx) 4 star - offered, TAMU
Aggie lean but Texas gaining momentum. Win on the field and another Aggy collapse and he could be ours.
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
4/25 Spring Game visit
5/22 Texas listed in top 11
Ron Tatum (Ok) 4 star - offered, OU
2/17 - Visited Texas
4/15- Spring game visit
4/20 - Texas listed in top 5
4/26 - Commits to Texas
6/12 - Flipped to OU

Tyreke Smith (Oh) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
4/28 - Texas listed in top 12
Jarell Cherry (Tx) 4 star - offered, LSU
Ronnie Perkins (Mo) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
Joseph Ossai (Tx) 4 star - offered, uncommitted (50%)
2/25 Junior day visitor
4/15 - Spring game visit
6/13 - Unofficial Visit
Jarell Cherry (Tx) 4 star - offered, LSU
Jamarcus Chatman (Ga) 3 star - offered, uncommitted
Daniel Carson (Mo) 3 star - offered, uncommitted
Tyler Lacy (Tx) 3 star - no offer, Ok St.
2/25 Junior Day Visit
Miles Emery (Ks) NA - no offer, Kansas
2/25 - planned to attend Junior Day, did not make it
Taylor Upshaw (Fl) 3 star - no offer, Florida
2/25 - planned to attend Junior Day, unable to make it

Iziah Filikitonga (Tx) - 3 star - no offer, uncommitted
2/25 Junior Day Visit

Ronnie Perkins is set to OV Texas on 9/8. We have been on the fringe of his recruitment for a while now and it will be nice to finally get him on campus. He would be a huge get at the position.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Herman is the kind of coach that players love playing for. He works them hard as hell and cuts no slack, but they know he has their back. He told them he was improving the locker room, and he did that at warp speed. If he tells em they are not doing enough, they find out fast what that means. At the same time he is right there with them.

Our revolutionary army was not getting paid...or fed...or given proper clothing in cruel conditions, but they for the most part stayed the course because Washington asked them to. Why?....Washington was the only officer that stayed with them everyday at Valley Forge, and again the next winter which was worse.

I think these guys feel the same way about Herman. All they have to go on is what he told them he would do, and he has not disappointed.

Herman is the kind of coach that players love playing for. He works them hard as hell and cuts no slack, but they know he has their back. He told them he was improving the locker room, and he did that at warp speed. If he tells em they are not doing enough, they find out fast what that means. At the same time he is right there with them.

Our revolutionary army was not getting paid...or fed...or given proper clothing in cruel conditions, but they for the most part stayed the course because Washington asked them to. Why?....Washington was the only officer that stayed with them everyday at Valley Forge, and again the next winter which was worse.

I think these guys feel the same way about Herman. All they have to go on is what he told them he would do, and he has not disappointed.
The Revolutionary War analogy is spot on. I love reading about that by the way. Brave men and women. Tough as nails. Herman is a great hire and I think he is already 50X the coach Strong was. I just want to see "Wins".....Recruit great players...check....coach players hard......check.....win....??

Big Board Recruiting Series: The numbers game

People are always concerned about the number of available scholarships for a recruiting class. And people always reply with "the numbers will work themselves out". I agree with both sentiments, so I wanted to take a quick look at how the numbers stand at this point and also consider how things might shake out moving forward.

Looking at our current roster (including incoming freshmen and transfers) we have 80 scholarship players. I did account for recent transfers/retirements (Aucoin, Southall, Fowler, Elliot, Hodges, Buck Major).

11 are seniors, so after this season, the number drops to 69. It's expected that Connor Williams will go pro, and I could see anywhere from 1-3 other players leaving early depending on how they play this year (Warren, Malik, Hill, Davis). So let's say that 3 players leave early for the pros. That drops the schollie number to 66, and leaves 19 open spots.

What about attrition? We saw some of this already this offseason and I expect some more to come after this current season ends. Looking at some of the more stacked positions, I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR or two look elsewhere. The position is stacked and it looks like we will also be bringing in a great signing class. The talent is spread out across the years and many of the elder statesmen are contributors. Look for guys like Humphrey, or the freshmen (Curtis, Miller, Hemphill, Pouncey) to feel like they have been recruited over and go elsewhere to contribute.

O-line is another position where I expect attrition. This time from some upper classmen. There are 10 players who are Juniors or Sophomores, and there are certainly a few of them who won't contribute this year or be in line to contribute down the road.

I don't expect much if any attrition on defense. The only crowded positions are LB and CB but all of those guys are contributors and upper classmen. Cameron Townsend is a guy I could see looking elsewhere but that's about it. All in all, I could see us lost 4-5 guys to transfers.

In summary:
80 scholarship players now
- 11 seniors
- 3 early to NFL
- 4 to transfer or retirement
= 23 available scholarships

I think we sign 12-13 players on offense and defense, plus the K. So we will need about 26 scholarships. We aren't too far off from that number and with unexpected injuries or unforeseen attrition, I think Herman gets to or close to that number.

Here is a take from a poster from Thefootballbrainiacs... Similar thoughts but I thought is was nice to get another perspective on things regarding scholarship numbers for 2018.

2 (4) (1) juniors leaving early for NFL -- 2 (Connor and Malik); (4) possibly Warren if big year (> 1,300 yards), poss one of the jr DB (Boyd, Locke, Hill, Davis) if they break out; (1) last year D'Onta Foreman

2 (4) (2) current redshirt juniors who will be 5th year seniors and can become grad transfers or just graduate and leave, 9 players in this pool -- 2 (I'd guess 1-2 of Anderson/Cuney/Gray + an unknown); (4) always some surprises, like Raulerson who was slated to be the starting C for 2 seasons but left for UCLAArkie, or Colbert who only had to beat out the walk-on who-must-not-be named for playing time at S but went to Miami and did well enough to get drafted by the 49ers, or Jake Oliver who had a breakout RS JR season but accepted a job offer instead of coming back; (2) last year Hodges (Pitt transfer) and Jake Oliver (job) left but there were only 4 candidates (A. Davis and Naashon Hughes the others) so 50% attrition from this pool.

5 (7+) (11) catchall for injury, grades, legal issues, transfers -- 5 (there seem to always be 5-7, foolish to guess which individuals in advance); (7+) really foolish; (11) here are how these 11 break out from last year:

4 transfer (Kai Locksley, Delance, Elliott, Merrick)
3 grades (Miller, Fowler, Southall)
3 injury (Bernard, Major, Whiteley)
1 ? (Aucoin)

Every time someone leaves I'll up date this. The current number (August 21) is 18.

Reactions: Cotton #12
yeah....I hear the NFL wants players that excelled in college football rather than HS football

yeah....I hear the NFL wants players that excelled in college football rather than HS football
He has the body and the athleticism needed for the NFL. If he can put it together on the field he will be gone (unless he follows his heart and stays for his senior year). Multiple sources have him slated to be a first round pick. I agree, he has to show that talent on Saturdays, but I'm optimistic this coaching staff will get the best out of him.

With our 18th commitment, we are currently in a position where all of our available scholarships for next year are accounted for. It'll come down to attrition (NFL, transfer, retirement, injury) to open up more spots for the 2018 class. I do think we see about 5-8 spots open up, giving us a class of 23-26 players.

This class will end up somewhere between top 2-5. Number 1 is very unlikely given what Ohio St has done so far. I ran a few different scenarios in the 247 class calculator. Worst case, i.e. we add about 5 more lower level recruits, we end up with a score of 298. Best case, i.e. we add about 8 more high profile recruits (think Anthony Cook, Jalen Waddle, Bobby Brown), we end up with a score of 308. If we get unrealistic with it, the number could probably be pushed into the 310s. Looking at the last 6 years, a score between 298-308 will land you anywhere from number 1 to number 4. As I said, number 1 is tOSU's to lose and I think we finish somewhere 2-5 with top 3 being very likely.

Can you tell how those schools did the next couple of years? Wins, Championships, bowl games etc...??

The schools at the top seem to be the schools winning championships, conferences and going to the top bowl games. Of course there are some exceptions that go both ways (ie Houston outperforming their ranking or schools like TAMU and UT underperforming)

Assuming we take a full 25 man class here's my wish list/how i think the class will fill out:

Offense-
1 of Bush/Waddle
1 of Angilau/Wire/Some Juco OL
Muhammad

Defense-
Jamison
Cook
Brown
1 of Perkins/Ossai/Antwine/White

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwilk55
Can you tell how those schools did the next couple of years? Wins, Championships, bowl games etc...??

Bama has been #1 in the rankings for sometime. That should tell you something. Generally the teams that routinely land highly ranked classes are thought of as having their stuff together. There are exceptions though.

Bama has been #1 in the rankings for sometime.

Yeah that's all that's really been consistent that I've seen now that I did my research. From 2011-2017 they've been #1 in recruiting according to 247. They've won 11+ games since then but they're the only university from 2011 to stay consistent everything from #2-#10 changes year to year. Pretty cool looking at how they've dominated recruiting. It's time we take this over and get back to it!

Man this thread has been quite lately. I've been out of commision, helping my mom recover after Hurricane Harvey and with real games (both high school and college) there isn't much to report.

Texas has had some big visitors recently in Ronnie Perkins and Daniel Carson, both DL out of Missouri. Jaylen Waddle ended up on campus as well I believe as well as plenty of verbal commits.

New offer went out to JUCO OT, Badara Traore. Dude would be a huge get at a position of need, especially assuming Connor Williams leaves early. http://247sports.com/Player/Badara-Traore-88962

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT