ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

He commits on Monday afternoon. and I can't wait.

Some insiders are saying to expect a commit over this weekend too. Seems like Ayodele is a silent at this point based on his visit and the chatter ("Hook em alerts" from players) surrounding it. Not sure if he will be the one to go public or if we are looking at someone else.

Top ILB target with some news at 7pm. Expecting a commitment.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Yes, this weekend.

Though it does seem he had made his decision even before visiting. I'm assuming this video had already been made prior to the visit (he was asking someone to make him a video a few weeks back). That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

Though it does seem he had made his decision even before visiting. I'm assuming this video had already been made prior to the visit (he was asking someone to make him a video a few weeks back). That's pretty impressive if you ask me.
It was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered more than a week ago. Hopefully today is Happy BJ Foster Day!

Malcolm Epps is going to commit tomorrow...looks like he slipped up on twitter and sent out a tweet instead of a DM to Corby Meekins.

I hope some of yall have enjoyed my "Big Board" posts. I have used it (and refer back to it and update it often) to keep track of who our targets are, how they compare to our other targets and how things are shaping up as we add commits or have targets commit elsewhere. The entire list can be a lot to take in at once so now that things have started to shake out a bit, I wanted to take a position by position look.

QB: Class likely complete with 2 commits*
Justin Fields (Ga) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
6/6 - Decommitted from Penn State

Dorian Thompson-Robinson (NV) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
3/21 - Texas not included in Top 7
Tanner Mckee (Ca) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
- Will visit UT this fall
Justin Rogers (La) 4 star - offered, TCU
2/25 Junior Day Visit
3/23 - Texas offers
4/1 - unofficial visit
Joey Gatewood (Fl), 4 star- offered, Auburn Commit
Cam Rising (Ca) 4 star - Offered, Texas
4/15 - Spring game visit
Casey Thompson (Ok) 4 star - Offered, Texas
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
4/1 - unofficial visit planned
4/13 - Commits to TEXAS
4/15 - Spring Game visit

Spencer Sanders (Tx) 4 star - no offer, Okie St
Jaylen Mayden (Tx) 4 star - no offer, Miss St.
Tanner Mordecai (Tx) 3 star - no offer, OU

2/25 - Junior Day Visit
Zadock Dinkelmann (Tx) 3 star -Offered, BYU
More of a pro style QB vs the dual threat of Thompson.

Chance Amie (Tx) 3 star - no offer, uncommitted
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
MJ Rivers (Tx) - no offer, uncommitted
3/25 - Unofficial visit

It is clear by looking at the top of this list, the QB class in TX was a bit down this year. We offered 7 guys from OOS that ranked higher than the top Texas QB. It is also a clear indication that Herman isn't hesitant to look OOS for elite talent, even those already committed to blueblood programs. We have landed two high 4 star QBs that can both run and pass effectively which is a great fit for our offense. There was some concern early that Thompson would flip after Rising came on board but that has seemed to calm down and it seems that both are fully on board. This is huge as we will go from 2 scholarship QBs to 4 by next year.

*While we are likely done in the 2018 class, things will continue to be interesting with the recruitment of Tanner Mckee. Mckee, a mormon, should really be considered as a 2020 recruit as he will take a 2 year mission. Mckee is currently competing at the Elite 11 camp and is apparently quite a specimen. It sounds like Texas is a serious consideration as he plans to visit this Fall. Competing against BYU for a mormon player is always a tough task but I wouldn't put anything past Herman at this point.

Last edited:
Big Board Series: Running Back

Yesterday we looked at QB, a position we are likely done at. The story is the same today with RB.

RB: Likely done with 1 commit
Lorenzo Lingard (Fl) 5 star - Offered, Miami
Jaelen Gill (Oh) 4 star - offered, Ohio State
TJ Pledger (Fl) 4 star - Offered, Oklahoma
Harold Joiner (Al) 4 star - offered, uncommited

5/12 - unofficial visit planned?
5/12 - Texas listed in top 12
Keoantay Ingram (Tx) 4 star - offered, Texas
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
5/30 - Commits to Texas

Asa Martin (Al->IMG) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
Lyn-J Dixon (Tn) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
4/15 - Spring Game Visit
Craig Williams (Tx) 3 star - no offer, uncommitted
Tavion Thomas (Oh) 3 star - offered, uncommitted
4/27 - Texas listed in top 10

Stanley Hackett (Tx) 3 star - no offer, BU
Demetrious Flowers (Ca) 4 star - no offer, uncommitted
4/14 - Unofficial visit
Ta'Zhawn Henry (Tx) 3 star - no offer, uncommitted
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
4/2 - Texas listed in top 12
4/15 - Spring game with Fast7v7 teammates
Howard Stewart (Fl) 3 star - offered, uncommitted

Similar to QB, Herman and Co showed no fear in going OOS and up against other CFB blue bloods for some top national RBs. Unlike QB, where two OOS QBs committed, we ending up landing the top RB in Texas. Keontay Ingram was the most likely RB commit from the get go and his recent commitment was neither surprising, nor should it be taken for granted. He is not a speed demon but shows good vision, agility and ability to break tackles to gain more yardage. His commitment seems to be very solid at this juncture.

I don't think we look to take any more RBs in this class. Our focus can now turn to the top national RB in 2019, Noah Cain, who has shown some serious interest in Texas.

I usually don't pay much attention to recruiting unless it's a high profile game changing recruit but man oh man, Tom is putting in work.
If he puts together an 8-10 win season right out the gates, lookout!

Hopefully we can poach a couple of OUsucks recruits with the departure of Stoops.

Tatum and Watkins will both flip. It's not a concern, Tatum stings a little.

Agree on Watkins not stinging. This state produces too many high quality WRs year in year out to get bent out of shape over 1. Not to mention his next commitment will be the 100th time he's done this. I think he gets a free ice cream sundae, so I can't really blame him.

Reactions: TexExSpur
Tatum flipped. But we all knew that would be a battle until the end. Now we got to go find another beast to put in the tranches. Maybe the kid from STL?

I was shocked the day Tatum committed, it made zero sense to me... It would have been like Texas actually landing Derrius Guice in 2015. I don't care who is recruiting you, for you to leave your own backyard with that type of program being that close to home? It never made sense.

Big Board Series: Wide Receiver

Last week I started a big board series with two positions that are pretty much complete for this cycle. Today we will look at a position with a lot of action still to come, the wide receivers. We currently have 1 commit (likely to flip) but will likely end with 3-4 at the position. There is still a lot of excitement to come here.

WR: Expected to take 3-4
Terrace Marshall (La) 5 star - offered, uncommitted
Would obviously be a huge get but would need to steal him away from LSU.
2/25 Junior Day Visit
6/10 - Texas listed in top 4 (LSU, TAMU, Miami)
Brennan Eagles (Tx) 5 star - offered, uncommitted (85%)
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
4/1 - unofficial visit
4/15 - Spring game visit
Justin Watkins (Fl) 4 star - offered, TEXAS
Recruited to play slot. Told recruiting would be shut down at the position once he committed.
2/25 - Commits to Texas

Jalen Preston (Tx) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
2/25 - plans to attend Junior Day (unable to make it due to playoff basketball game)
Kamryn Babb (Mo) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
Jaylen Waddle (Tx) 4 star - offered, uncommitted (70%)
2/25 Junior Day Visit
4/15 - Spring game with Fast7v7 teammates
Joshua Moore (Tx -> IMG) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
2/25 - planned to attend Junior Day, did not make it
3/14 - Texas listed in top 10
4/2 - Unofficial Visit planned
6/18 - plans to commit
Al'vonte Woodard (Tx) 4 star - offered, uncommitted (85%)
2/25 - Junior Day Visit
3/25 - Unofficial Visit
3/31 - unofficial visit
4/4 - Texas listed in top 10
4/15 - Spring game visit
CJ Moore (Ok) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
Rondal Moore (Ky) 4 star - offered, uncommitted
Gabriel Douglas (Tx) 4 star - no-offer, Texas Tech
Jaqualyn Crawford (Tx) 4 star - offered, uncommitted (30%)
CB, WR, Return man in HS. Unsure of what position we are recruiting him for.
2/25 Junior Day visit
3/12 Lists Texas in top 10
4/13 - Unofficial visit

The list of targets is actually even longer than what I posted here but I think the focus here should really be at the top of the list as we are in a great position with many top WR targets.

Starting at the top, 5 star Terrace Marshall did recently list us in his top 4. I think of this as good publicity but probably nothing more. Marshall is most likely headed to his home state LSU.

Brennan Eagles is the 5 star to get really excited about. He probably is a silent commit at this point as this one looks like all Texas. Hopefully we get some good news in terms of a commitment by Eagles sometime over the summer.

Our only commit at this point is Justin Watkins, but I think we are all aware at this point that he is unlikely to stick. Similar to Ron Tatum, his initial commitment sent a huge shock through the recruiting world but will be unlikely to mean much in the long run. Good publicity and it got some momentum going but I don't think he sticks with Texas.

Losing Watkins will hurt, but if we can replace him with Jaylen Waddle that damage will be nil. I would actually prefer to have Waddle in the fold as he will be able to help out more with other major recruits from Texas, many of whom he plays 7on7 with.

Joining Waddle/Watkins and Eagles, will most likely be Al'vonte Woodard. Like Eagles, Woodard feels all Texas and all that is left is to wait for him to commit. Bringing in two outside WRs in Woodard and Eagles, as well as an electric slot WR in Waddle/Watkins gives this WR class good balance.

We could potentially add a 4th WR but who that ends up being is yet to be seen. If our class remains on the smaller side, we may be content with 3 very strong WRs. Lots of intrigue at the WR position. It will be fun to watch how things shake out.

I was shocked the day Tatum committed, it made zero sense to me... It would have been like Texas actually landing Derrius Guice in 2015. I don't care who is recruiting you, for you to leave your own backyard with that type of program being that close to home? It never made sense.
I have always felt out of state kids to Texas have a tendency to jump and should wait on them right to National signing day before confirmation.

Some big recruits on campus today, DT Coburn, DE Ossai, OT Ghirmai and plenty more coming this weekend. Hopefully we get some good news over the weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT