ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

Maybe Leito charges getting knocked down enough for him to still make it to school and have a spot on the team? Which would greatly impact our TE recruiting this year.

I've heard Sterns mention the coaches said he may get a look at WR/KR bc that's what he does for his HS team. But Seems to me the coaches are telling that to every DB. That wouldn't warrant the uproar this rumor seems to be getting.

Maybe a coach is getting let go. Who tf knows.

I've heard Sterns mention the coaches said he may get a look at WR/KR bc that's what he does for his HS team. But Seems to me the coaches are telling that to every DB. That wouldn't warrant the uproar this rumor seems to be getting.

Maybe a coach is getting let go. Who tf knows.

A lot of speculation but no one knows what this is in reference too. In due time we will know, or not.

Per TFB:
Casey Thompson: Most thought Texas QB commit Casey Thompson would look around after fellow QB Cam Rising flipped from OU to Texas. He has told people that he’s solid and has been recruiting for the Longhorns, but there are two schools coming after him pretty hard. The first is Oregon, who offered him the day after Rising flipped, and Oklahoma. The team the his dad and brother played at, and they offered Thompson and were recruiting him before Cam Rising took the QB spot in their class.

Both schools have visited Thompson this Spring, and Oregon did yesterday.

Thompson is an early enrollee, so there is over 7 months until he signs so Texas will have continue to work to keep him in the fold. – (Andrew)

Gary Johnson: Texas recruits from the 2017 class are going to start arriving in Austin over the next few weeks. One guy I spoke to was LB Gary Johnson, who told me he’ll be in Austin for good on May 27th. Right after signing day there was some chatter that Johnson may not make it to Austin for the first summer session due to an academic holdup he’d need to finish. Getting him on campus ASAP is big if he plans to make an impact in 2017. – (Andrew)

Amari Gainer: Texas was in Florida again yesterday to see LB Amari Gainer.

Texas has been recruiting Gained very hard since they offered back in February, and they made his Top 6 in April. Though most I talk to feel it will be tough for schools like Alabama, Texas, Auburn, and others to pull Gainer ( from Tallahassee ) away from the hometown Florida State Seminoles. – (Andrew)

Kalon Gervin: Everyone is talking about the in-state DB’s, but one out of state DB that is receiving some interest from Texas is Cass Technical (MI) CB Kalon Gervin. He recently decommitted from Notre Dame, and Texas CB coach Jason Washington went by to see him after he decommitted. Gervin told me he wants to visit Texas this summer. In addition he wants to go see Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Pitt, and Oregon.

He doesn’t currently hold a Texas offer, but this is one of those situations where one will likely come if he makes a visit to Austin. – (Andrew)

Houston Griffith: Another out of state CB that Texas has been interested in is IMG Academy (FL) CB Houston Griffith. Texas offered Griffith in April, and when I spoke with him recently he told me CB coach Jason Washington visited him last Wednesday. He told me he plans to visit Texas this summer but nothing is set as of today.

Griffith is in Florida right now, but is originally from the Chicago area. Which is why schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Penn State are the leaders for him right now. – (Andrew)

Could the controversy TFB was alluding to be this?

https://www.si.com/college-football...gan-texas-blocked?xid=socialflow_twitter_sicr

hmmm maybe UT is going to kick out all the OOS schools who want to do satellite camps in TX. Partner with A&M and you could pressure all those small schools to do it easily.

Wish we could but unlike Louisiana with LSU, UT is not the only major program in the state and most are rivals. The other programs aren't going to go along it just so UT/Aggy can better secure the top talent in the state. What kind of pressure can Texas/Aggy put on the other big 12 Texas programs or even other programs like SMU or Houston? Don't say political because that's not happening.

Wish we could but unlike Louisiana with LSU, UT is not the only major program in the state and most are rivals. The other programs aren't going to go along it just so UT/Aggy can better secure the top talent in the state. What kind of pressure can Texas/Aggy put on the other big 12 Texas programs or even other programs like SMU or Houston? Don't say political because that's not happening.
Sounded better in my head lol. I'm really just driving myself crazy trying to figure out what TFB was talking about. Could be nothing, could be something big. Who knows...

Per 247:

— Cibolo Steele safety Caden Sterns recently made a verbal commitment to Texas. So how solid is? Very. Sterns said he doesn’t plan on making any other visits and will be back at UT next month. Sterns plans to graduate in December and enroll early.

— Cibolo Steele cornerback JayVeon Cardwell is on the rise and now holds 20 offers. He will camp at Texas on May 28 and has been in contact with cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. He is a name to file away for later in the process.

— Rockdale athlete Jaquayln Crawford plans to make a decision early this summer. It appears Oklahoma has taken the lead there. But Texas is very much in the mix. Crawford is a take for UT, but the Sooners have been making the stronger push.

— As mentioned over the weekend, Yoakum safety Jordan Moore will camp with Texas on May 28. Right now, Moore is not a priority, but the Longhorns are doing their due diligence and are keeping in contact.

— Four-star Yoakum wide receiver Joshua Moore is making a decision in a few weeks. We do not expect the pick to be Texas. The Longhorns haven’t really made him a priority, and he appears to be heading to Florida State or Nebraska.

— Cuero tight end Bralen Taylor is set to camp with Texas on May 28. This situation is pretty simple. If Texas offers, we expect Taylor to side with the Longhorns when he makes his decision next month. If Texas doesn’t offer, we expect him to pick Baylor.

— Texas recently put an offer on the table for four-star 2019 Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington. So where do the Longhorns stand early on? Whittington made it clear that he never liked Texas but has UT among his top schools thanks to head coach Tom Herman.

— Four-star 2019 Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal hopes to visit Texas at some point this summer. While there hasn’t been much contact between Leal and Texas, we expect an offer to come sooner rather than later.

— Rising 2020 Seguin defensive back Lejond Cavazos recently visited Texas and already holds a number of major offers. It appears Texas wants to wait to watch him play on varsity this season before extending a scholarship. But he is on the radar.

— Four-star 2019 Flower Mound Marcus outside linebacker Marcel Brooks has quickly garnered a number of Power Five offers. He will camp with Texas on May 28, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns put a scholarship on the table with a strong performance.

— Two other 2019 Flower Mound Marcus recruits to keep an eye on are offensive lineman Justin Osborne and running back Justin Dinka. Both are starting to gain major steam on the recruiting trail.

— Four-star 2019 Prestonwood Christian tight end Austin Stogner said he might visit Texas this summer but isn’t too high in the Longhorns because they have yet to offer. Right now, Texas is really falling behind in his recruitment, according to Stogner.

— Texas is keeping in contact with 2020 Southlake Carroll cornerback RJ Mickens. He plans to either camp with or visit Texas at some point this summer. Mickens holds a number of major offers and is one of the top prospects in his class.er

Per 247:

— Four-star 2019 Prestonwood Christian tight end Austin Stogner said he might visit Texas this summer but isn’t too high in the Longhorns because they have yet to offer. Right now, Texas is really falling behind in his recruitment, according to Stogner.

We need to get in the game with Stogner. This kid is one of the top TEs in the nation for 2019. Hopefully we make a move before the evaluation period is over.

We need to get in the game with Stogner. This kid is one of the top TEs in the nation for 2019. Hopefully we make a move before the evaluation period is over.
I agree with you. He's going to be legit. A little skinny but he's got plenty of time to add weight.

Big news coming June 5th. This one is practically a done deal for the horns.

Fowler is gone, another slot has opened up.

It was reported, but I'm not sure it's true. Sure would seem odd considering his Friday tweet.

Last edited:
Probably won't be the last. This one probably doesn't hurt as much as Elliot though.

Elliot might seem impactful on the surface, but the guy has serious issues with commitment. He wasn't handled with kid gloves and the writing was apparently on the wall. They don't need that, regardless of assumed value.

I agree long term it's for the best, but short term he was still one of our better D lineman with no one to replace him. Man that DT haul of 2016 looks pathetic just 1 year later.

I agree long term it's for the best, but short term he was still one of our better D lineman with no one to replace him. Man that DT haul of 2016 looks pathetic just 1 year later.
Indeed it does. Got to wonder where Roach comes into play as he feels out.

Poona and Nelson are the DT's, Elliot was quality depth. Still have Christmas and Wilbon who saw the field and Daniels who red shirted. The DT position has haunted this squad at depth for several years now.

Reactions: Cotton #12

The uber talented 7 on 7 team will be visiting Texas once again. This team is full of top Texas targets and a few commits as well.

Committing on Friday. Likely landing spot in FSU. He never visited Texas so that would be a major surprise. If it is not us, our options our dwindling at ILB. Ayodele Adoeye would be our only remaining top option left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT