ADVERTISEMENT

rewatch thread

we left 21 points on the board...dropped td to brooks, Mitchell no call pass interference at like the 5...and j whitt running his route into sanders who had the td grab in the endzone.

Reactions: Archmadness
defense looked great..Sweat looked like a man amongst boys. Collins finally looks capable. Burke had a good game..almost had 2 sacks. Dbs are the strong point of the defense and Hill is fast as hell

oh and #5 Mitchell on offense. Man i love your talent but if you ever give that kind of effort blocking again id rather have someone else in. Get your head out kid.

we left 21 points on the board...dropped td to brooks, Mitchell no call pass interference at like the 5...and j whitt running his route into sanders who had the td grab in the endzone.
That no call on AD Mitchell, I blame Ewers for that, not the ref. If he puts the damn ball where it’s supposed to be, that DB never even comes close to touching him. Ewers’ complete inability to throw the deep ball is pissing me off already. He’s not getting drafted, and he’s losing his job at Texas. He just ain’t it.

That no call on AD Mitchell, I blame Ewers for that, not the ref. If he puts the damn ball where it’s supposed to be, that DB never even comes close to touching him. Ewers’ complete inability to throw the deep ball is pissing me off already. He’s not getting drafted, and he’s losing his job at Texas. He just ain’t it.
While I share your frustration Quinn had played like 12 college games. Not sure it’s fair go close the hook on the kid after what amounts to one season worth of games.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
While I share your frustration Quinn had played like 12 college games. Not sure it’s fair go close the hook on the kid after what amounts to one season worth of games.
I hope he proves me wrong, but I just have zero confidence in him right now. Way too much happy feet, poor footwork, and just looks unsure of himself. Oh, and of course no deep ball ability.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I just have zero confidence in him right now. Way too much happy feet, poor footwork, and just looks unsure of himself. Oh, and of course no deep ball ability.
He's still wet behind the ears. His OL is not helping him. Campbell was awful in pass pro. Playing Bama isn't going to help matters. Sark needs to serve up a ton of quick hitting RPO's if Campbell or Zulu start.

I think you’ve truly forgotten what the maturation of a QB truly looks like. It’s not add water instant product. I remember how bad Colt regressed his sophomore year. He took a big step back. Luckily we had a good defense to carry us though.

Give it time, he’s got the short and intermediate stuff down well. The deep ball will come eventually. Even the greatest QBs in the world are only completing 25% of their passes over 25 yards.

Ethan Burke matching Ovie Oghoufo's season sack total in one game is legitimately lol worthy. Can't believe LSU took him.
I need.7 more out of him this year lol! I think the kids going to be a star.

Quinn is scared to get hit, so he rushes his throws. He panics when pressure comes.

Offense only thoughts....I'll probably just do a few series.

Play 1 - RPO, good read. Jones washes down terrificly here. Sanders still struggles with blocking leverage. Whitt picks up 7-8 yards if he just tries to beat the corner to the sideline. Stops all momentum and then has to try and run through two tacklers

Play 2 - JET. #26 makes a great play. Baxter needs to have eyes back inside looking for backside players. Banks does well to seal edge. Majors gets ass whipped. WTF is Conner doing?

Play 3 - BOB. Not sure what Whitt's route is supposed to be but it is terrible. As soon as QE sees Whitt has a double, and the backside safety rolls, he should know X is running a dig on the back side. He is open. JT is open too. QE doesn't get through his progression.

Play 4 - Baxter needs to sell the fake more. Nice play call defensively. Even under duress, QE still needs to deliver that ball to JT.

Play 5 - RPO. QE good read. Basic combo blocking up front. Nothing here other than some of our combo blocks came off late and/or not at all. Baxter does okay here to find 3/4 yards.

Play 6 - WTF is Banks doing? Did he think the TE was staying to help the edge? Someone ****ed up. Okay route by X. QE didn't really step into that throw. Floated a bit, but that is a long ass throw. Good play by QE and X.

Play 7 - Hard to tell. Looked like horn concept up front. Banks and Conner pull. Using JT and someone else to cave 4i and LB. Well, they got their ass kicked. Bad play

Play 8 - RPO, counter up front. QE and Brooks need to sell that better to get 41 to bite just a little more and create a better throwing lane. Good route by X, nice job getting first down by X. It was a quick out in space. X doing X things.

Play 9 - Counter up front to suck in LBs a bit for X's dig. AD runs vertical. KRob bubble in the flat. Ball could've easily gone to KRob 1 on 1 with LB in space, but QE does a nice job of feeling a good pocket to allow X to get across the field. Nice ball, nice catch, 1st down. QE steps into that throw. It had some zip. Of course the zebras went to work on this one. Missed a helmet to helmet on the QB...and overturned the play with I guess some camera angle they didn't show on TV. I don't like officials anyway, and if they're going to be unprofessional then they deserve all professional ill that comes their way.

Play 10 - This is a play we saw vs. Washington in the bolw game. Delayed screen to RB. Great play, great execution.

Punt - how in the **** did X catch the punt in between the 26 and 27 yard line and yet the ball is set into play at the 25 yard line? Is this a rule I don't know about that you just round down? My goodness I am constantly confirmed as to why I can't stand officials and think they are glorified baby sitters. Ball should've been spotted on the 27, not 25.

Play 11 - Outside zone. #80 kills this play. OL did a great job of getting their seal. 80 screws up. I had to look up who this was...had no clue. Turns out it is Agbo with an eligible jersey # (idk). Do better Malik. CJ does a good job of lowering pad level for 4 yards.

Play 12 - bob up front. JT blocks well. AD needs the ball more, plain and simple. QE needs to deliver a bit better ball, but hard to complain here. 10 yards is a good play.

Play 13 - Helm gets his ass whipped...gets pushed back into QE a bit. QE needs to side step that just a bit so he can get all into that throw. How in the absolute shitbox sally is that not PI?

Play 14 - Must have missed this one because it goes from 1st and 10 to 3rd and 9...so no clue on Play 14

Play 15 - Campbell gets his ass whipped. Jones looks like he is going to lose leverage...pocket is pretty damn small. CJ is late getting out, but would've have mattered. Rice playing 3 deep, 4 under. We run 3 verts and a TE choice route. That combined with the issues on the right side of the OL, this play sucked.

Play 16 - X again gets 10/12 yard cushion. We run him in, not out for some reason. Nice pass and catch but he is hit immediately. All the other routes were run with little to no inspiration.

Play 17 - Encroachment on DL...we got a favor here. Didn't look like dude was in neutral zone

Play 18 - Counter. I'm not a fan of Conner. He is indecisive, but he is a really nice guy! He pulls, stops in the ****ing hole, then acts like he just got home and #12 is his puppy dog so happy to see him. They embrace and go watch TV. JT doesn't block anyone either and so Brooks has to deal with 33. In his defense, he probably didn't expect Conner to stop and hug his dog. To Brooks' credit breaks some tackles. Gain of 8. All other OL blocked their ass off

Play 19 - Veer. Not schemed great as there was a player on the dive and QB. Brooks gets hit at LOS but continues for first down. Maybe Whitt was supposed to crack LB? I don't know.

Play 20 - RPO, double G. LBs took the bait. Whitt with a slant. I love RPO when run correctly. QE kept that cheese in the trap a bit longer than earlier. QE with a good ball. Nice run after catch.

Play 21 - GG counter. Conner, homie, smh. Either kick dude out or seal. What is with his indecisiveness? Banks loses his block and those two guys combine on the tackle. Campbell does a good job with his eyes.

Play 22 - Boot with a shallow by JT, covered and a deep by AD, covered. Rice whipped out ass all the way around on this play.

Play 23 - Brooks dropped pass. X ran a good route, JT ran an okay route. Brooks ran a good route. Not sure he gets in. He would've had to break a tackle. Either way it is 4th and short, 1st and goal or a TD.

I'm done.

I see lots of mistakes. And these things are either coached, or more likely, allowed to happen on the field. I'll be interested to see what happens next week in the crispness of routes, blocks, etc.

AD needs the ball more.

JT needs to step up because he looked like shit in this game. Blocking and route running.

X played his balls off, love to see it

Of the plays I watched here, Jones was our best OL. Banks had some mistakes. Conner was awful. Campbell still struggles in pass pro. Majors was second best. Not good Bob, not good.

Baxter, as 2300 stated, is lost on pass plays

Brooks could be a dude this year

Whitt is shit or get off the pot. If he wants to get looks from NFL he better clean his play up. Blocking poor. Route running below average. He's a play maker though.

Last edited:
and yet....Ewers had the highest RPO rating of any QB in the Big 12....go figure.

and yet....Ewers had the highest RPO rating of any QB in the Big 12....go figure.

I only watched the number of plays above, but he was nails on RPO. That said, he NEEDS to start hitting some balls 15+ downfield. And he NEEDS to connect on straight verts. Not just for his draft position, but for the viability of this offense.

Offense only thoughts....I'll probably just do a few series.

Play 1 - RPO, good read. Jones washes down terrificly here. Sanders still struggles with blocking leverage. Whitt picks up 7-8 yards if he just tries to beat the corner to the sideline. Stops all momentum and then has to try and run through two tacklers

Play 2 - JET. #26 makes a great play. Baxter needs to have eyes back inside looking for backside players. Banks does well to seal edge. Majors gets ass whipped. WTF is Conner doing?

Play 3 - BOB. Not sure what Whitt's route is supposed to be but it is terrible. As soon as QE sees Whitt has a double, and the backside safety rolls, he should know X is running a dig on the back side. He is open. JT is open too. QE doesn't get through his progression.

Play 4 - Baxter needs to sell the fake more. Nice play call defensively. Even under duress, QE still needs to deliver that ball to JT.

Play 5 - RPO. QE good read. Basic combo blocking up front. Nothing here other than some of our combo blocks came off late and/or not at all. Baxter does okay here to find 3/4 yards.

Play 6 - WTF is Banks doing? Did he think the TE was staying to help the edge? Someone ****ed up. Okay route by X. QE didn't really step into that throw. Floated a bit, but that is a long ass throw. Good play by QE and X.

Play 7 - Hard to tell. Looked like horn concept up front. Banks and Conner pull. Using JT and someone else to cave 4i and LB. Well, they got their ass kicked. Bad play

Play 8 - RPO, counter up front. QE and Brooks need to sell that better to get 41 to bite just a little more and create a better throwing lane. Good route by X, nice job getting first down by X. It was a quick out in space. X doing X things.

Play 9 - Counter up front to suck in LBs a bit for X's dig. AD runs vertical. KRob bubble in the flat. Ball could've easily gone to KRob 1 on 1 with LB in space, but QE does a nice job of feeling a good pocket to allow X to get across the field. Nice ball, nice catch, 1st down. QE steps into that throw. It had some zip. Of course the zebras went to work on this one. Missed a helmet to helmet on the QB...and overturned the play with I guess some camera angle they didn't show on TV. I don't like officials anyway, and if they're going to be unprofessional then they deserve all professional ill that comes their way.

Play 10 - This is a play we saw vs. Washington in the bolw game. Delayed screen to RB. Great play, great execution.

Punt - how in the **** did X catch the punt in between the 26 and 27 yard line and yet the ball is set into play at the 25 yard line? Is this a rule I don't know about that you just round down? My goodness I am constantly confirmed as to why I can't stand officials and think they are glorified baby sitters. Ball should've been spotted on the 27, not 25.

Play 11 - Outside zone. #80 kills this play. OL did a great job of getting their seal. 80 screws up. I had to look up who this was...had no clue. Turns out it is Agbo with an eligible jersey # (idk). Do better Malik. CJ does a good job of lowering pad level for 4 yards.

Play 12 - bob up front. JT blocks well. AD needs the ball more, plain and simple. QE needs to deliver a bit better ball, but hard to complain here. 10 yards is a good play.

Play 13 - Helm gets his ass whipped...gets pushed back into QE a bit. QE needs to side step that just a bit so he can get all into that throw. How in the absolute shitbox sally is that not PI?

Play 14 - Must have missed this one because it goes from 1st and 10 to 3rd and 9...so no clue on Play 14

Play 15 - Campbell gets his ass whipped. Jones looks like he is going to lose leverage...pocket is pretty damn small. CJ is late getting out, but would've have mattered. Rice playing 3 deep, 4 under. We run 3 verts and a TE choice route. That combined with the issues on the right side of the OL, this play sucked.

Play 16 - X again gets 10/12 yard cushion. We run him in, not out for some reason. Nice pass and catch but he is hit immediately. All the other routes were run with little to no inspiration.

Play 17 - Encroachment on DL...we got a favor here. Didn't look like dude was in neutral zone

Play 18 - Counter. I'm not a fan of Conner. He is indecisive, but he is a really nice guy! He pulls, stops in the ****ing hole, then acts like he just got home and #12 is his puppy dog so happy to see him. They embrace and go watch TV. JT doesn't block anyone either and so Brooks has to deal with 33. In his defense, he probably didn't expect Conner to stop and hug his dog. To Brooks' credit breaks some tackles. Gain of 8. All other OL blocked their ass off

Play 19 - Veer. Not schemed great as there was a player on the dive and QB. Brooks gets hit at LOS but continues for first down. Maybe Whitt was supposed to crack LB? I don't know.

Play 20 - RPO, double G. LBs took the bait. Whitt with a slant. I love RPO when run correctly. QE kept that cheese in the trap a bit longer than earlier. QE with a good ball. Nice run after catch.

Play 21 - GG counter. Conner, homie, smh. Either kick dude out or seal. What is with his indecisiveness? Banks loses his block and those two guys combine on the tackle. Campbell does a good job with his eyes.

Play 22 - Boot with a shallow by JT, covered and a deep by AD, covered. Rice whipped out ass all the way around on this play.

Play 23 - Brooks dropped pass. X ran a good route, JT ran an okay route. Brooks ran a good route. Not sure he gets in. He would've had to break a tackle. Either way it is 4th and short, 1st and goal or a TD.

I'm done.

I see lots of mistakes. And these things are either coached, or more likely, allowed to happen on the field. I'll be interested to see what happens next week in the crispness of routes, blocks, etc.

AD needs the ball more.

JT needs to step up because he looked like shit in this game. Blocking and route running.

X played his balls off, love to see it

Of the plays I watched here, Jones was our best OL. Banks had some mistakes. Conner was awful. Campbell still struggles in pass pro. Majors was second best. Not good Bob, not good.

Baxter, as 2300 stated, is lost on pass plays

Brooks could be a dude this year

Whitt is shit or get off the pot. If he wants to get looks from NFL he better clean his play up. Blocking poor. Route running below average. He's a play maker though.
i appreciate your views and taking the time to go through those plays and giving your thoughts!

HOWEVER...i dont think you should be "done". if you meant done as in Texas..you could have meant done with your review lol..BUT ..OVER YEARS we as Texas fans have gone through pain...pain doesnt even explain it. Under preformining, Losing games we should win. Coaching roullette and just PAIN...

but you cant lie to me this team isnt and hasnt been just going in the up projection. Our goal this year has been and always has been BIG 12 TITLE or bust. We are capable of doing that forsure and just need to sit back

is Bama a must win? No. Is it important we show up and fight close? Yes. But Big 12 title is the goal and we have a great shot at it. Trust our coaches..i know its hard to do with our past decade of coaching but trust it. We will never win if we keep rotating QBs and coaches every 1 to 2 years.

i know youre a big Texas fan brother. I feel your pain. but we will be good. JUST WATCH THIS SATURDAY!

HOOKEM

lets be honest here guys...and im trying..SO HARD ..to stay positive lol...this could be a blessing in disguise..

this game could be a "wake up youre not national champs and cant just show up" and gets us mentally ready for Bama...id rather have a struggle against rice..and then beat bama/ play close ..than a blow out against rice and get curbed stomped Arkansas style against bama...ya know? lol

Reactions: freeper
i appreciate your views and taking the time to go through those plays and giving your thoughts!

HOWEVER...i dont think you should be "done". if you meant done as in Texas..you could have meant done with your review lol..BUT ..OVER YEARS we as Texas fans have gone through pain...pain doesnt even explain it. Under preformining, Losing games we should win. Coaching roullette and just PAIN...

but you cant lie to me this team isnt and hasnt been just going in the up projection. Our goal this year has been and always has been BIG 12 TITLE or bust. We are capable of doing that forsure and just need to sit back

is Bama a must win? No. Is it important we show up and fight close? Yes. But Big 12 title is the goal and we have a great shot at it. Trust our coaches..i know its hard to do with our past decade of coaching but trust it. We will never win if we keep rotating QBs and coaches every 1 to 2 years.

i know youre a big Texas fan brother. I feel your pain. but we will be good. JUST WATCH THIS SATURDAY!

HOOKEM

LOL, I meant I'm done as in I don't want to break anymore plays down. Haha, I probably should've clarified after my tirade on Saturday.

I do however appreciate the pep talk!!! No sarcasm.

That said, it is time for Sark to win 10. It is time for him to show some serious momentum.

LOL, I meant I'm done as in I don't want to break anymore plays down. Haha, I probably should've clarified after my tirade on Saturday.

I do however appreciate the pep talk!!! No sarcasm.

That said, it is time for Sark to win 10. It is time for him to show some serious momentum.
Sark will at minimum win 10 this year and make it too Arlington. If he doesnt i will apologize to you first for my arrogance !

Reactions: weevilcatch
I hope you're right. I predicted 10-3 and a B12 title...9-3 regular season.

I don't think this is a run the table type team.
The schedule is going to help them. I mean you thought Texas was unimpressive last week some of the other teams on Texas schedule… yikes

Reactions: weevilcatch
We may win 10 but we will struggle in most games. I think most were thinking we would be dominant on offense with an experienced O line and an improved QB. We got neither and it was a let down. We can still be a pretty good team, especially if the defense stays the course.

We may win 10 but we will struggle in most games. I think most were thinking we would be dominant on offense with an experienced O line and an improved QB. We got neither and it was a let down. We can still be a pretty good team, especially if the defense stays the course.
We got neither... you say as it's been 1 game...smh

We got neither... you say as it's been 1 game...smh
I have one more data point for this season to go on than you do. We weren't terrible and I think we can be good, but we're not as good as I was thinking. Let me remind you that this was Rice. I'm just tempering my expectations based off what I saw.

Opposing defenses saw the same pattern as last year and will know what to do and it's pretty simple. Stop our running game and then blitz Quinn when he drops back because he doesn't make good throws when a defender is rushing in on him. Sark needs to rely on the quick timing passes which is what Quinn is good at.

Alot of his "bad passes" he was getting rocked in the face most the time.
What do you think of Ewers throwing mechanics, i.e. palm under ball...? Sark's a great qb coach. Does Ewers need to correct his mechanics or go with what he's being doing or is it fine and dandy?
I'm pulling for QE to have a great year!🤘

Thought this was pretty interesting from Saturday's game. Our starters on defense should be fresh this week because they hardly played against Rice. That's very promising that we played over 30 guys on defense and you couldn't see much of a drop off from any of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT