ADVERTISEMENT

Road trip: Minnesota

Are any of you old enough to remember GM Steakhouse? Right across from Dobie on Guadalupe. Best burgers and steak fries I ever ate in my life. It’s been gone for a while but that place had an incredible following for many years during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Yes, the original was on Lamar. It's where Janis Joplin got started. Fun story, as a sr in high school and my first visit to UT, some Aledo grads who were UT students took us under their wing for a weekend. One of the places we visited was GM. The employees proceeded to hit on one of our chaperones. She was president of delta delta delta... the gm employees were foul, rude and stupid. We told them to gfy and they laughed smiled and went to the next customer. I had never seen that at a restaurant before and prolly never again. 'Weird' at its finest.

Liberal and rude back then would not work today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drtxhorn
Are any of you old enough to remember GM Steakhouse? Right across from Dobie on Guadalupe. Best burgers and steak fries I ever ate in my life. It’s been gone for a while but that place had an incredible following for many years during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Wasn't G&M in Dazed and Confused? Cheapest and toughest steaks ever!

Reactions: Drtxhorn
63 degrees this morning. Light breeze. Took a shower and air dried on the back porch with my coffee. Didn’t get arrested. 😉

Yep. Big Hormel plant in Austin, MN. My wife was born there in that burg then her family moved to TX when she was about 6 months old (decades ago). We've visited there to see her relations but never in winter.

Learned that the name came from Hormel son put $100 on the table of folks for a name of his invention in 1931 and a guy put spiced ham and ham together and came up with SPAM.
I don't know why--- because nothing about SPAM says "spiced" or "ham" to Clob's eyes or taste buds.

Very interesting place--and unique but still had that classic diner feel. Definitely an Austin landmark and tradition. Kinda miss places like this on the Drag.

Sitting on the cabin back porch drinking my coffee and banana in 69 degree weather staring at a calm lake. Can’t complain.
We spent a few days in Minneapolis last year over the Memorial Day weekend. Really enjoyed it--weather at that time was perfect--even had jackets a couple of mornings. Good food, history--took a great tour of the city. Liked the Falls of St. Anthony.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I don't know why--- because nothing about SPAM says "spiced" or "ham" to Clob's eyes or taste buds.
That's because @clob94 has never had my Tamales Especiales Desayunos con Queso, Chiles Verdes y Spam.....even my sainted, skeptical mother was won over when she tried them.....

Your special breakfast tamales with green peppers and cheese sound great..... with some fvcking pork......
It's all about tradition at Casa Freeper...... gather around kids, @Etlonghorn and @clob94, it's story time.

You see, my mother was from El Paso and my father from old Mexico, down Sonora way. They got together during the big one...WWII, while mom was working in the shipyards in Oakland and pops was on leave from the Pacific where he was lugging a BAR for Uncle Sam. During the course of his service, my dad was overseas for 4 years, he hit five beaches, Attu, Kiska, Kwajalien, Leyte and Okinawa. Twice he caught Japanese bullets.

In November of '44, finding himself a long way from his love in California, and on a patrol with his squad in the hills of central Leyte, they came under fire from a Japanese machine gun nest about 50 yards away. They were pinned down. My dad must've been some kind of pissed, resigned or what all I will never know. Clutching his BAR, he jumped up and charged the Japs, firing his BAR as he went and succeeded in wiping out two Japanese machine guns and at least 6 IJA soldiers. For this action, he was awarded a Bronze Star.

Now I tell y'all this because as it happens, when dad got back from the Pacific, he and mom got busy, churning out kids almost as fast as mom's shipyard had turned out Liberty ships. Dad brought back with him horrific memories that he never spoke of, some really cool Japanese souvenirs, including a Samurai sword and Yosegaki Hinomaru, "good luck flag" which I own, an Arisaka bolt action rifle which went to my oldest brother, and his helmet, with a bullet hole in it and scorched and creased liner, courtesy of a Japanese sniper on Okinawa, which my younger brother possesses. Oh yeah....he also brought back with him a strong love of SPAM and pineapple juice. We always had both in our pantry growing up and they were staples for us as kids.

Funny thing. My wife's father also served in the Pacific. He also loved SPAM and pineapple juice and so when we married, we always kept both in the pantry and our kids now have been brought up with that tradition.

Now I tell you all this because tradition is important. Like Longhorn icy whites, and Aggie misery, it is important that we maintain tradition so SPAM is just something I've always had around and found ways to incorporate into my cooking. (As I write this I'm enjoying some SPAM, egg and pepperjack breakfast sliders) So each Christmas, when the tamale production line starts up, tradition dictates that first and foremost, pork tamales be produced (Tamales Especiales Gran Reserva). That is pork in red sauce. Next, chile/cheese tamales, and then if there is any masa left, you can create whatever you want. Well one year, there was masa left, and cheese and chiles. We already had plenty of chile/cheese tamales so I looked through the pantry and what befell my eyes? SPAM....I quickly calculated how it would go with the other ingredients and thought why not....the rest is legend. As I said, my sainted mother enjoyed them, and she was highly skeptical when I told her about them.

Carnitas > Spam
Now then @Etlonghorn on a strictly apples to apples basis, I agree with you. In fact carnitas are my go-to judgment dish in a Mexican restaurant if they've got them. On the other hand, carnitas are so good, they really shouldn't be buried under an avalanche of masa. SPAM on the other hand doesn't get buried. The masa absorbs some of that salt and fat and when reheated in an oven, the SPAM tamale has a wonderfully crispy, salty shell. Still not convinced? That's alright because I know that down here in The Dungeon we are nothing if not a highly diverse and multicultural group. We respect diversity and recognize that more food choices makes the Longhorn Nation stronger. Even if we would never actually partake of that particular food choice.

It's all about tradition at Casa Freeper...... gather around kids, @Etlonghorn and @clob94, it's story time.

You see, my mother was from El Paso and my father from old Mexico, down Sonora way. They got together during the big one...WWII, while mom was working in the shipyards in Oakland and pops was on leave from the Pacific where he was lugging a BAR for Uncle Sam. During the course of his service, my dad was overseas for 4 years, he hit five beaches, Attu, Kiska, Kwajalien, Leyte and Okinawa. Twice he caught Japanese bullets.

In November of '44, finding himself a long way from his love in California, and on a patrol with his squad in the hills of central Leyte, they came under fire from a Japanese machine gun nest about 50 yards away. They were pinned down. My dad must've been some kind of pissed, resigned or what all I will never know. Clutching his BAR, he jumped up and charged the Japs, firing his BAR as he went and succeeded in wiping out two Japanese machine guns and at least 6 IJA soldiers. For this action, he was awarded a Bronze Star.

Now I tell y'all this because as it happens, when dad got back from the Pacific, he and mom got busy, churning out kids almost as fast as mom's shipyard had turned out Liberty ships. Dad brought back with him horrific memories that he never spoke of, some really cool Japanese souvenirs, including a Samurai sword and Yosegaki Hinomaru, "good luck flag" which I own, an Arisaka bolt action rifle which went to my oldest brother, and his helmet, with a bullet hole in it and scorched and creased liner, courtesy of a Japanese sniper on Okinawa, which my younger brother possesses. Oh yeah....he also brought back with him a strong love of SPAM and pineapple juice. We always had both in our pantry growing up and they were staples for us as kids.

Funny thing. My wife's father also served in the Pacific. He also loved SPAM and pineapple juice and so when we married, we always kept both in the pantry and our kids now have been brought up with that tradition.

Now I tell you all this because tradition is important. Like Longhorn icy whites, and Aggie misery, it is important that we maintain tradition so SPAM is just something I've always had around and found ways to incorporate into my cooking. (As I write this I'm enjoying some SPAM, egg and pepperjack breakfast sliders) So each Christmas, when the tamale production line starts up, tradition dictates that first and foremost, pork tamales be produced (Tamales Especiales Gran Reserva). That is pork in red sauce. Next, chile/cheese tamales, and then if there is any masa left, you can create whatever you want. Well one year, there was masa left, and cheese and chiles. We already had plenty of chile/cheese tamales so I looked through the pantry and what befell my eyes? SPAM....I quickly calculated how it would go with the other ingredients and thought why not....the rest is legend. As I said, my sainted mother enjoyed them, and she was highly skeptical when I told her about them.

Now then @Etlonghorn on a strictly apples to apples basis, I agree with you. In fact carnitas are my go-to judgment dish in a Mexican restaurant if they've got them. On the other hand, carnitas are so good, they really shouldn't be buried under an avalanche of masa. SPAM on the other hand doesn't get buried. The masa absorbs some of that salt and fat and when reheated in an oven, the SPAM tamale has a wonderfully crispy, salty shell. Still not convinced? That's alright because I know that down here in The Dungeon we are nothing if not a highly diverse and multicultural group. We respect diversity and recognize that more food choices makes the Longhorn Nation stronger. Even if we would never actually partake of that particular food choice.
2 things.

1. All this talk of carnitas has ignited my Savage need to launch a search and destroy mission today with carnitas being the target.
2. You sold me. Email me during the holidays and I'll buy a dozen from your factory line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT