ADVERTISEMENT

RRR game will be on FS1 this year

This from Hornsports.

n case anyone is interested, the SEC spring meetings are this coming week. For whatever reason, the conference has decided not to announce the conference distribution numbers at the spring meeting. They will instead be released in October, at the end of the conference's fiscal year.

I am convinced the reason for this change is that SECN numbers are falling far short of projections and the conference wants to hide the embarrassment of the struggling financial situation of SECN by releasing the info during the football season when they can say "But look at how well the teams are performing on the field. Next year, we project HUGE numbers." Remember that when SECN was launched, the projections were for $1.40 inside the SEC footprint and $0.25 outside the footprint. I, among many others, pointed out there was no way aggy in the SEC could entice cable providers to pay $1.40 for the Texas market. 8 million Texas households at $1.40/mo would translate into $135 million per year. There is no way in hell that much was going to be paid for crappy SEC OOC games padded with compelling programming such as Redneck Spelling Bee or Collegiate Bass Fishing.

According to Disney's federal securities filings, last year SECN pulled in just over $400 million in subscriber fees. Assuming the 47 million out of footprint number and $0.25 per was correct, that means the out of footprint revenue was roughly $140 million. That means the SEC footprint revenue was roughly $260 million. Using Clay Travis' numbers of 28 million subscribers in the SEC footprint, allowing for the price Travis claimed for out of footprint and using Disney's federal filings as total subscriber income, it looks as is last year SECN was paid about $0.77 per subscriber in the SEC footprint, or about half the rate they were asking for. Considering the cable providers in the heart of the SEC would be very much willing to pay the full asking price, it seems the price paid for SECN in the Texas footprint was probably, at best, one-third of what ESPN/Disney was asking.

According to Disney's most recent federal securities filings, the SECN subscriber revenue is off slightly, due to cord cutting. Ad revenues may have been optimized slightly to make up for the loss of subscriber revenue, but at best, total revenue will be flat. My projection for SECN revenue this year is around $7 million/school, or about the same as what West Virginia is getting for their T3 deal.

No one waits to release good news. The SEC is waiting to release the financial performance of SECN. You do the math.

By the way, projections have LHN breaking even this year. Between the three components of the LHN contract, the LHN minimum guarantee is right at $43.5 million.

QFhjBsF.jpg

I didnt research this...Randolf Duke did....good stuff

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
This from Hornsports.

n case anyone is interested, the SEC spring meetings are this coming week. For whatever reason, the conference has decided not to announce the conference distribution numbers at the spring meeting. They will instead be released in October, at the end of the conference's fiscal year.

I am convinced the reason for this change is that SECN numbers are falling far short of projections and the conference wants to hide the embarrassment of the struggling financial situation of SECN by releasing the info during the football season when they can say "But look at how well the teams are performing on the field. Next year, we project HUGE numbers." Remember that when SECN was launched, the projections were for $1.40 inside the SEC footprint and $0.25 outside the footprint. I, among many others, pointed out there was no way aggy in the SEC could entice cable providers to pay $1.40 for the Texas market. 8 million Texas households at $1.40/mo would translate into $135 million per year. There is no way in hell that much was going to be paid for crappy SEC OOC games padded with compelling programming such as Redneck Spelling Bee or Collegiate Bass Fishing.

According to Disney's federal securities filings, last year SECN pulled in just over $400 million in subscriber fees. Assuming the 47 million out of footprint number and $0.25 per was correct, that means the out of footprint revenue was roughly $140 million. That means the SEC footprint revenue was roughly $260 million. Using Clay Travis' numbers of 28 million subscribers in the SEC footprint, allowing for the price Travis claimed for out of footprint and using Disney's federal filings as total subscriber income, it looks as is last year SECN was paid about $0.77 per subscriber in the SEC footprint, or about half the rate they were asking for. Considering the cable providers in the heart of the SEC would be very much willing to pay the full asking price, it seems the price paid for SECN in the Texas footprint was probably, at best, one-third of what ESPN/Disney was asking.

According to Disney's most recent federal securities filings, the SECN subscriber revenue is off slightly, due to cord cutting. Ad revenues may have been optimized slightly to make up for the loss of subscriber revenue, but at best, total revenue will be flat. My projection for SECN revenue this year is around $7 million/school, or about the same as what West Virginia is getting for their T3 deal.

No one waits to release good news. The SEC is waiting to release the financial performance of SECN. You do the math.

By the way, projections have LHN breaking even this year. Between the three components of the LHN contract, the LHN minimum guarantee is right at $43.5 million.

QFhjBsF.jpg

I didnt research this...Randolf Duke did....good stuff
No offense my friend, but let me know when the Iron Bowl gets bumped to FS1

Just disgraceful

OU and UT are just insignificant....there is no way around it. Since there are no viable teams to expand the conference it is time to just collapse it and go our own way.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Apparently the way it works was that ABC got first pick and went with Notre Dame @ Texas, and then Fox got the next 2 picks and grabbed the next 2 most appealing games, Ohio State @ Oklahoma and Oklahoma vs Texas.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...network?_ga=1.225658906.1043421328.1464729428

Really strange that they already made the call that it will be on FS1, not Fox. Makes me wonder what they plan on showing in their before-noon or early-afternoon slot (since that's when this game is always played).

I'll be watching or there in person, of course, but man, this isn't a good sign for any of the people who really really really want the Big 12 to end up working out. And no, adding Memphis or Cincy (or, for those of you who keep persistently bringing it up, Houston) won't fix this. It's been fun, but I really hope Texas (and all the other Big 12 teams too) are figuring out what their plans are for 2025. Doesn't mean the conference can't have an impressive final stretch though...

I say we take off, and nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.

I have come to believe that UT, Tech, TCU, OU and Ok St. will all leave the Big 12 and go elsewhere in 4 or 5 years.

I think UT, Tech, TCU and BYU end up in the PAC 16 and form the PAC WEST Div along with Utah, Colorado and the AZ schools.

OU and OK. ST go to the Big 16. UT keeps it's yearly game against OU. Kansas goes to the ACC along with ND. Baylor, K ST. and Iowa ST. get left behind.

I have come to believe that UT, Tech, TCU, OU and Ok St. will all leave the Big 12 and go elsewhere in 4 or 5 years.

I think UT, Tech, TCU and BYU end up in the PAC 16 and form the PAC WEST Div along with Utah, Colorado and the AZ schools.

OU and OK. ST go to the Big 16. UT keeps it's yearly game against OU. Kansas goes to the ACC along with ND. Baylor, K ST. and Iowa ST. get left behind.

I know that it's all anyone's guess what might or might not work, but I'm not sure I follow the logic. OU and OSU going (by themselves) to the look-down-their-nose-at-you academic conference? TCU and BYU getting the invite to the least-likely-to-invite-religious-schools conference? The Pac 12 adding 4 teams but only 1 state?

I agree with you that the Big 12 will probably break up (though, I'm not sure about your timeline. If I understand it correctly, you'd need to get 8 teams to agree to even start to unbind the GOR before it ends in 2025), but the destinations will probably be a little different, I think. When I think of these things, I start with Texas both because I'm a fan and alum so of course that's my priority, but also because it's the biggest prize for other conferences expanding at this point (as long as something can be worked out with the LHN). Next is OU, who is also a pretty big prize. With the two of them, one of two things can happen: either they stay together or they split up.

If they split up, I think it's almost 90% because they're headed to the SEC. That's not even just because Texas has an aversion to joining the SEC. It's more because the SEC has the best argument to make that they could take OU and not reallyreallyreallyreally want to get Texas and OU as a package deal. Now, despite what our SEC visitors might imply sometimes, I think they'd take Texas and OU together in a heartbeat (and, I mean, if the SEC weren't so shady it could actually be kind of fun. Imagine them adding Texas to the west, OU to the east... though maybe renaming them south/north at that point... having Texas and OU be permanent cross-divisional opponents, while being in the division where we'd get to smack around our old buddies, Arkansas and A&M, every year too?). I'm not endorsing this idea by any means. I think there are more problems to it than it'd be worth, but I can understand the appeal. Still, with A&M already in, the SEC would probably be fine taking OU and Kansas, or OU and Virginia Tech, or OU and NC State, or even give in on the 2-in-one-state thing and take OU and Oklahoma State.

On the other hand, if they stay together I think that both the Pac 12 and Big 10 would be even more interested. The Pac 12 would love to have both schools and be willing to take some tag-alongs in OSU and Tech to get therm. That still seems like the ideal combination from the Pac 12's perspective in that it brings in more schools that fit what the conference already looks like, makes sense for them geographically (as much as anything will at this point), helps them expand, and helps them fix the issues with their TV money issues. It also avoids any of the issues that might arise if the state of Oklahoma is adamant that OSU is tied to OU and if the state of Texas is concerned about Tech finding a landing spot. Of course, if they could get Texas, OU, someone and Kansas they might prefer that, but it seems like they'd be fine if that answer was no. From our side, I know there will always be some Texas and OU fans that raise concerns about TV visibility, timing of games, and travel distances. Well, based on history, the first two shouldn't be that big of concerns. When the Pac 12 plays teams from the Central or Eastern time zones it almost always means an earlier start time. And when big teams face off, the bigger networks will still want a chance to show it. The travel concern (for the non-football sports, since football would really only end up playing a game or MAYBE 2 on the west coast per year) is a realistic one, but I think the only real solution there would be for teams like the baseball or softball team to balance things out by having more localized OOC games. I mean, right now, Baseball typically has a 1 to 2 series on the west coast each season. Now those will be conference games, so you just change the focus to having more OOC series with teams in the Texas/New Mexico/Arkansas/Oklahoma/Louisiana area for now. Plus, as we've seen, lots of northern teams are happy to just play a series in Austin at the beginning of the year without needing a return date. And you do things similarly with other sports.

The Big 10 is an interesting situation. I think they'd be fine with taking Texas and OU. I think they MIGHT be ok taking Kansas and OU. I don't think they'd take OU and OSU without anyone else. By themselves the two schools don't tick almost any of the boxes for the Big 10. They aren't AAU. Bringing in the two of them just brings in 1 state, not 2. The have shown they're willing to take a less-populous state (Nebraska) for a school with a lot of history before, but you can't tell me that they wouldn't like to balance out the population between their eastern and western divisions a bit more too. They'd have questions about the schools' involvement with the CIC. I just don't see it. But yeah, definitely Texas and OU, and quite possibly OU and Kansas. Beyond that, though, the Big 10 was the conference that didn't seem to really care about the idea of a 16 team ceiling. I could see them saying, what the hell, and trying to take Texas, OU, Kansas... and then checking in with Notre Dame, UVA, Georgia Tech, and maybe even Vandy, but being prepared to go with someone like Rice or Tulane if it came down to it. I don't think their current model would prefer taking 2 teams from any new states, but the state of Texas (and the opportunity for more teams to get a conference game in the state for recruiting purposes each season) would potentially be the exception to that rule. If they took 3 Big 12 teams and 1 team that fit into the East (like Notre Dame, Virginia, Vandy, or Georgia Tech), the conference divisions work out pretty nicely too).

The ACC is the only conference I really don't know what to do with as far as either Texas or OU (or both together). I don't really see Texas wanting to join a conference that far away by themselves (even if it was part of a deal to get Notre Dame to join with them and be a permanent rival). I'm not sure I'd see them going beyond 16 members (which basically only leaves 1.5 spots left... or 2), and even if they did go to 18, there isn't a really nice way to divide up the conference that would make everyone happy (where as, that all works pretty nicely with the ideas I've shared for the SEC, Pac 12, and Big 10). I'm not saying it could never happen for either or both schools, it would just make for a much more chaotic realignment.

Anyway, I basically think Texas will end up in the Pac 12 or the Big 10, and that there's a better than 50% chance OU will end up there with them, barring things getting really messy between the two schools in the meantime (and I don't mean on the field). If they don't, I think it will involve OU going to the SEC.

Reactions: Heisennberg
Apparently the way it works was that ABC got first pick and went with Notre Dame @ Texas, and then Fox got the next 2 picks and grabbed the next 2 most appealing games, Ohio State @ Oklahoma and Oklahoma vs Texas.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...network?_ga=1.225658906.1043421328.1464729428

Really strange that they already made the call that it will be on FS1, not Fox. Makes me wonder what they plan on showing in their before-noon or early-afternoon slot (since that's when this game is always played).

I'll be watching or there in person, of course, but man, this isn't a good sign for any of the people who really really really want the Big 12 to end up working out. And no, adding Memphis or Cincy (or, for those of you who keep persistently bringing it up, Houston) won't fix this. It's been fun, but I really hope Texas (and all the other Big 12 teams too) are figuring out what their plans are for 2025. Doesn't mean the conference can't have an impressive final stretch though...

FS1 is struggling. There is a reason Fox over paid for half of the B1G media rights. They are doing anything they can to increase viewers on the channel so this actually makes sense. These media companies are going to find out very soon that there just isn't that much high quality inventory out there and the proliferation of channels has made it even worse. There is ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, FS1, FS2 plus all of the conference and regional networks. Right now the networks are struggling to find content that will bring in enough viewers to justify their subscriber fees.

FS1 is struggling. There is a reason Fox over paid for half of the B1G media rights. They are doing anything they can to increase viewers on the channel so this actually makes sense. These media companies are going to find out very soon that there just isn't that much high quality inventory out there and the proliferation of channels has made it even worse. There is ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, FS1, FS2 plus all of the conference and regional networks. Right now the networks are struggling to find content that will bring in enough viewers to justify their subscriber fees.

I was wondering a little about that. From our perspective it's easy to feel like we're being snubbed by getting put on FS1 instead of Fox proper (once you get around the fact that ABC/ESPN didn't have more first-round choices for Big 12 programming), but from Fox's perspective, they WANT people to have to subscribe to FS1 to get games they really want to see.

I'm still curious to see what they are already planning to run in the same time slot on their main channel this far in advance though. They definitely still want people tuning in over there too...

Reactions: diadevic
I'm not a fan of Texas or Oklahoma, but I love watching that game every year.
I can't believe they would not have it on national TV?
I hate Michigan & OSU but I watch it too & couldn't imagine that game being on the Big10 Network?
What game is ABC showing that day nationally instead?

Since when is Notre Dame and Texas more popular than Ohio State and Oklahoma? You have got to be kidding me!
2 top 5 teams going at each other that have a lot more cache.

OU and UT are just insignificant....there is no way around it. Since there are no viable teams to expand the conference it is time to just collapse it and go our own way.
That game should always be on abc or the like. That's embarrassing. I can't imagine Ohio state and Michigan having the same issue

Isn't the $ooner coaches hour on FS1? Is that embarrassing too?

Since when is Notre Dame and Texas more popular than Ohio State and Oklahoma? You have got to be kidding me!

Since forever.
If you are talking "popular" or most watched, then ND & Texas has more fans (& haters) & has more viewers than those two.
Heck, the ND vs Navy game had more viewers than the SEC game of the week on CBS. It's not about who is better, it's about who brings in the money.
Every single person in the country will see ND/Texas this year. It will be the most viewed game of the regular season because it's opening weekend with no competition. (The other night games have regional competition).

Man you guys aren't seeing something positive about this. As over matched as FS1 is by ESPN, when it comes to college fb they have the best broadcasting duo in Gus Johnson/Joel Klatt. If it turns out to be a great game GJ will make it even better. And JK has made big strides as an analyst, they're a great pair. And believe me they are the only ones on tv who speak up for the Big XII. And as long as our conference is together I'm going to be grateful for these guys actually we all should.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
Man you guys aren't seeing something positive about this. As over matched as FS1 is by ESPN, when it comes to college fb they have the best broadcasting duo in Gus Johnson/Joel Klatt. If it turns out to be a great game GJ will make it even better. And JK has made big strides as an analyst, they're a great pair. And believe they are the only ones on tv who speak up for the Big XII. And as long as our conference is together I'm going to be grateful for these guys actually we all should.
Gus Johnson could get me excited about getting a root canal. I think he is the best when it comes to making the mundane exciting.

Reactions: outhereincali
Isn't the $ooner coaches hour on FS1? Is that embarrassing too?
Scholz it's not embarrassing to me, matter of fact, that's news to me and I could care less. Surely you see the difference between expecting the RRS game to be on abc because of its importance to recruiting etc as compared to a coaches show? Very weak even for you.

Heh, yeah... I think most people were are annoyed by the implications of the FS1 RRR game, but I guess at least we got that part... heheh

Scholz it's not embarrassing to me, matter of fact, that's news to me and I could care less. Surely you see the difference between expecting the RRS game to be on abc because of its importance to recruiting etc as compared to a coaches show? Very weak even for you.
That was the $ooner answer to the Longhorn channel. FS1. Just pointing that out. Wholly unsurprising you're ignorant of that fact. And I have money to go to the game and UT recruiting doesn't rely on where that's broadcast. Guess you're in a different boat, jethro. Sorry.

Why don't you guys send back the millions of dollars Fox sends your way every year then.

That was the $ooner answer to the Longhorn channel. FS1. Just pointing that out. Wholly unsurprising you're ignorant of that fact. And I have money to go to the game and UT recruiting doesn't rely on where that's broadcast. Guess you're in a different boat, jethro. Sorry.
I'm just assuming you're being obtuse here or at least hoping.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT