ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday evening armchair quarterbacking

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Why wait until Monday morning. This one stings quite a bit, so pardon me if I am overreacting.
1) Coach Kwiatowski's honeymoon is over. He may not be the man to get it done for Texas
2) A backup freshman QB for the opposing team didn't get blitzed. He was allowed to ease into the game. My hat is off to that young man. He made it happen.
3) Our defensive players don't stay home and contain. From the secondary to the defensive ends
4) I am pretty sure the the OL coach for ou is coaching that little "yank-holding" move. It is very subtle and easy to miss by the refs. I honestly can't blame the refs too much just because it isn't very obvious. I didn't notice it during the Brooks TD run at the end. I only saw it on the slower replay. I believe it is being coached because I saw it a few times on both sides of ou's line. May be even Texas does it, I don't know, but you learn something every day. This could be a trick of the trade for years now, but I never knew it.
5) I don't expect perfection, but that defensive performance was trash

I am pretty proud of the offense. I know our OL isn't top caliber, but we got points.

Why wait until Monday morning. This one stings quite a bit, so pardon me if I am overreacting.
1) Coach Kwiatowski's honeymoon is over. He may not be the man to get it done for Texas
2) A backup freshman QB for the opposing team didn't get blitzed. He was allowed to ease into the game. My hat is off to that young man. He made it happen.
3) Our defensive players don't stay home and contain. From the secondary to the defensive ends
4) I am pretty sure the the OL coach for ou is coaching that little "yank-holding" move. It is very subtle and easy to miss by the refs. I honestly can't blame the refs too much just because it isn't very obvious. I didn't notice it during the Brooks TD run at the end. I only saw it on the slower replay. I believe it is being coached because I saw it a few times on both sides of ou's line. May be even Texas does it, I don't know, but you learn something every day. This could be a trick of the trade for years now, but I never knew it.

I am pretty proud of the offense. I know our OL isn't top caliber, but we got points.
You're spot on but lets exercise caution with coach K. Honeymoon over yes. But maybe our defensive staff needs a year.

You're spot on but lets exercise caution with coach K. Honeymoon over yes. But maybe our defensive staff needs a year.
I would agree. But a very short leesh for coach K to show weekly improvement this year. Just remember how long it too Strong to fire Watson and Herman to fire Beck. The delay cost him their jobs. I like Sark and don’t want any liabilities just for the aake of giving too much time when it is fairly obvious to everybody else.

I would agree. But a very short leesh for coach K to show weekly improvement this year. Just remember how long it too Strong to fire Watson and Herman to fire Beck. The delay cost him their jobs. I like Sark and don’t want any liabilities just for the aake of giving too much time when it is fairly obvious to everybody else.
Well let's see we're 4/2 at the halfway point. Now we're going back on the farewell tour. I look at the remaining schedule of course KS will be a sure thing and it appears that WV is going to fire their coach so that's 2 more. Then there's the final 4 and I have no idea what's going to happen OSU is next followed by Baylor and ISU and I have no idea how those games will turn out. We close out with senior night and KSU at home. I just don't how our defense will fare especially against Brece Hall. We'll see.

After re watching the game this morning I really like Sark’s way to exploit mismatches. He finds a defenses weakness and attacks it. If we had a decent offensive line this season I think we would be 6-0 right now. Sark’s game planning and play calling are light years ahead of what we saw with Herman so that gives me faith.

Defensively is where I am really concerned. It seemed like Kwiatkowski stopped blitzing in the second half. I would have liked to see him come after the young QB a lot more than he did. Our defensive line just got manhandled.

I still think we finish 9-3 and possibly a chance to play for the conference championship.

Well let's see we're 4/2 at the halfway point. Now we're going back on the farewell tour. I look at the remaining schedule of course KS will be a sure thing and it appears that WV is going to fire their coach so that's 2 more. Then there's the final 4 and I have no idea what's going to happen OSU is next followed by Baylor and ISU and I have no idea how those games will turn out. We close out with senior night and KSU at home. I just don't how our defense will fare especially against Brece Hall. We'll see.
The thing I can't get out of my mind is our 3 man defensive front. I will have to defer to anybody more knowledgeable about theory and D1 or pro level defenses, however I will argue from a laymen's eyes. Btw, is there anybody, pro or D1, that is successful at this scheme?

First a quick summary. I should go back and rewatch, but I would rather be wrong and go off of what I remember. I like Luke but, his speed was a little exposed again. I understand why he starts-he is a fighter and plays with tons of effort. Maybe he grasps the run vs pass protection in K's scheme better than the others, I don't really know. Overshown I thought did well except for a few times he didn't wrap up and I previously mentioned other players on the ends or secondary staying home and containment responsibilities. In addition, we have a guy like Alfred Collins who doesn't get very much playing time. Is he lazy or attitude case? When is in, that dude makes plays.

I wouldn't be as frustrated if this 3man defense hadn't already made it's home at Texas for the last 5 years when you include Orlando. These tires have been kicked, rotated, and replaced with better tires, but all with the same result. The predominant result is the dynamic duo of inability to stop the run when the opposing team has above average running backs and a mobile QB and not enough pressure on the QB.

Below is a visual of what I think of this 3 man D that has been jammed down our throats for the last 5 years: Same thing different package
taking-national-taco-day-global.jpg

Reactions: freeper
I see 3 man DL succeed all the time. I see 4 man DL fail all the time. The answer isn’t as simple as “just put one more DL and now we have an elite D”

We don’t have LBs and safeties that consistently tackle at the point of contact. That’s the problem. And it wouldn’t matter if we had a 4th.

Williams’ 66 yard run we had 5 in 3 pt stance. Same with Brooks’ game winner. I guess we needed 7?

For years now we haven’t signed high rated LBs or OL. And the lower rated ones we haven’t developed enough. Those things are real problems. Adding a 4th DL isn’t going to solve that.

Reactions: freeper
The thing I can't get out of my mind is our 3 man defensive front. I will have to defer to anybody more knowledgeable about theory and D1 or pro level defenses, however I will argue from a laymen's eyes. Btw, is there anybody, pro or D1, that is successful at this scheme?

First a quick summary. I should go back and rewatch, but I would rather be wrong and go off of what I remember. I like Luke but, his speed was a little exposed again. I understand why he starts-he is a fighter and plays with tons of effort. Maybe he grasps the run vs pass protection in K's scheme better than the others, I don't really know. Overshown I thought did well except for a few times he didn't wrap up and I previously mentioned other players on the ends or secondary staying home and containment responsibilities. In addition, we have a guy like Alfred Collins who doesn't get very much playing time. Is he lazy or attitude case? When is in, that dude makes plays.

I wouldn't be as frustrated if this 3man defense hadn't already made it's home at Texas for the last 5 years when you include Orlando. These tires have been kicked, rotated, and replaced with better tires, but all with the same result. The predominant result is the dynamic duo of inability to stop the run when the opposing team has above average running backs and a mobile QB and not enough pressure on the QB.

Below is a visual of what I think of this 3 man D that has been jammed down our throats for the last 5 years: Same thing different package
One thing I've read is that with Sarkisian is the one who practices hardest is the one who starts. That's commendable but what about on the playing field?

Well I have read that we've signed some highly rated dl. I assume the coaches looked at what they inherited and have recruited accordingly.

I thing DL is our strong point but one wouldn't know that if they watch our games. We are in DIRE need of competent OL. It's not even close. You know that.
Of course I know that. I've heard about Devon Campbell. I guess I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he signs on the dotted line 😃

In that case, we don't want bama's DC after that horrible loss to aggy.

Isn't the point now to get the best 11 players on the field whether they are practice monsters or not? We've seen the ones trotted out there get mauled by opponents. It's not working. Why not try something else or are we back to coaching stubbornness?

Isn't the point now to get the best 11 players on the field whether they are practice monsters or not? We've seen the ones trotted out there get mauled by opponents. It's not working. Why not try something else or are we back to coaching stubbornness?

How many times have we fired that guy?

Same as I asked Cali. If a kid sucks in practice in both effort and ability we just want to throw him out there to “see what he can do?”

if you run a business I want you to promote the person that always complains, and shows up late. They’ll probably out perform your average performers. Because after all they “just need a chance to show what they can do” and THEN they’ll start working hard in practice.

This shit makes sense to y’all????? Lol

Same as I asked Cali. If a kid sucks in practice in both effort and ability we just want to throw him out there to “see what he can do?”

if you run a business I want you to promote the person that always complains, and shows up late. They’ll probably out perform your average performers. Because after all they “just need a chance to show what they can do” and THEN they’ll start working hard in practice.

This shit makes sense to y’all????? Lol
Yeah, we've also seen the wondrous benefits of hiring a resume warrior who looks great on paper (or practice) then can't cut in the real world. That also kills many businesses. Why is Alfred Collins on the bench? He's getting fewer reps than Jett Bush.

Last edited:
Yeah, we've also seen the wondrous benefits of hiring a resume warrior who looks great on paper (or practice) then can't cut in the real world. That also kills many businesses. Why Alfred Collins is on the bench? He's getting fewer reps than Jett Bush.

So hire someone with a shit resume? Interesting.

Collins and Bush aren’t even in the same position group. And guess who played yesterday and who didn’t?

Your response to my post actually made less sense than your original post.

So hire someone with a shit resume? Interesting.

Collins and Bush aren’t even in the same position group. And guess who played yesterday and who didn’t?

Your response to my post actually made less sense than your original post.
Who said anyone had a "shit resume?" Maybe the other looked better on paper then folds in the real world. BTW I actually own and run my own business. We look past the shiny resumes for real talent.

So Bush should be out there because there aren't any other choices for LB? Yep. Then enjoy coaching stubborness and yet another season of _efense.

Quickest way to lose a team. You earn playing time in practice man. I don’t know what to tell ya. If there’s better players then they need to show out in practice.
I realize that but talent doesn't always bubble up in practice.

The whole key to having success with a 3 man front starts with having a stud 1 technique. We don’t have that guy on campus right now.

Who said anyone had a "shit resume?" Maybe the other looked better on paper then folds in the real world. BTW I actually own and run my own business. We look past the shiny resumes for real talent.

So Bush should be out there because there aren't any other choices for LB? Yep. Then enjoy coaching stubborness and yet another season of _efense.

Hope you find talent better than you watch football. Bush (52) didn’t play. You thinking of Brock (47)?

And I call bullshit that you’ve ever hired anyone with a shit resume and/or bad references.

Last edited:
I realize that but talent doesn't always bubble up in practice.

I’m as frustrated as anyone, but these dudes just aren’t very good. It’s asinine to expect anyone to fix a rotten D in 6 weeks. PK may be terrible for Texas, but it’s way too early for that.

Do we have more sacks and turnovers forced this year than last? I don’t know. But that is more of an indication of scheme than points allowed this early.

if there isn’t marked improvement over the next 6 games then I’ll join the replace Pete crowd

The whole key to having success with a 3 man front starts with having a stud 1 technique. We don’t have that guy on campus right now.

Meh. Yes and no. Coburn eats blocks. You can run an effective 3-3-5 with an above average 1.

Adding a hand in the turf isn’t going to help the LBs tackle at point of contact.

I’d actually prefer a 3-2-6 and let guys like Cook, Foster and whatever other hybrid player loose to blitz from depth and run to the football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT