ADVERTISEMENT

Should we re-evaluate this recruiting class???

hookem365

Jul 12, 2020
based on the seniors that come back for a 5 year of eligibility?

We know that Schooler, Jacoby Jones, Okafor, and Brewer are coming back.
If some of Kerstetter, Imade, Bimage, Tariq Black, Daniel Young, and Ehlinger come back, should we potentially combine the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes as one and re-evaluate it.

Forget about the rankings, but look at a combination of what we get in these 2 classes to project what talent we will have for the next 3-4 years.

Reactions: westx
No, and that sounds like something the aggies would say. The class might have some gems but they definitely missed out on some guys they should have got. Not landing the Brocks was a failure, no sugar coating it.

The recruiting class will not hurt you next year. You will fill that pain in a few years down the road. The best you can hope for is that we can somehow jump back up in recruits next year and fill in with grad transfers down the road to fill the holes for this class.

I'm not concerned about one recruiting class, I'm concerned about a bad recruiting class combined with the exodus from transfers and the lack of a coaching staff. This program has been set back another 4 years.

I agree with Hookem 365. Texas doesn't compete at the highest level in recruiting at the moment. To get to the highest levels, we need to look to add experienced talent to the roster. It can come from retaining senior level players, transfers, jr college, and development. The recruiting services only take into account high school recruiting and ignore others. We need to look at the whole picture and not just high school recruiting. As we see, high school recruits will transfer on a whim unless they are being paid a la the $ec. IMO, we need to evaluate the top level prospects in HS and take who we can. We need to continue to evaluate players who are developing on other teams and attempt to bring them on board. Our players are being contacted before they ever hit the portal. Yes, this is getting out of hand but there is no enforcement but we have to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
No, and that sounds like something the aggies would say. The class might have some gems but they definitely missed out on some guys they should have got. Not landing the Brocks was a failure, no sugar coating it.
No need...we are pretty good with our class...and expect to add 6 more studs...

based on the seniors that come back for a 5 year of eligibility?

We know that Schooler, Jacoby Jones, Okafor, and Brewer are coming back.
If some of Kerstetter, Imade, Bimage, Tariq Black, Daniel Young, and Ehlinger come back, should we potentially combine the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes as one and re-evaluate it.

Forget about the rankings, but look at a combination of what we get in these 2 classes to project what talent we will have for the next 3-4 years.

A look at the players that are coming back.

Schooler We have better receivers

Jacoby Jones too many penalties The Derek Kerstetter of the dl

Denzel Okafor can we get someone better at rg? If not he's serviceable.
Cade Brewer its time for Wiley and Epps to become #1 and 2 at te.

These guys need to take tadvantage of the extra year and make sure they graduate.

Of the second group the one I like most is Tariq Black.

Like I've said a 100 times. In the $ec, if you ain't cheetin you ain't racing.

College football is very liquid, things can change over night. Ags are feeling good right now, but that will change as they continue to get the crap kicked out of them by Bama.

I don' think anything will chang with Texas until they get out of the Big 12. Don't know where they will go, but they need a change of scenery.

If by cart you mean a tier one coach, tier one facilities, excellent recruiting class, a great year and a NY6 bowl berth...ya got me...

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Texas fans were saying the same thing a couple years ago.

You think you’ve “arrived” as a top school. As entitled as Texas fans can be, your fan base takes it to the extreme. You’ve accomplished nothing and act like you’re a top 10 program all time.

It makes no sense

Reactions: outhereincali
This is exactly what I’m talking about. Texas fans were saying the same thing a couple years ago.

You think you’ve “arrived” as a top school. As entitled as Texas fans can be, your fan base takes it to the extreme. You’ve accomplished nothing and act like you’re a top 10 program all time.

It makes no sense
No I don't, I'm understandably exuberant about being top 10, perhaps top 5, this year. Given the things I mentioned earlier I'm understandably looking forward to the future.

Setting aside our usual smack, I don't begrudge Texas their past successes, we strive to play for it all as well.

As of now, I like where we are...nothing more...but nothing less.

Reactions: weevilcatch
No I don't, I'm understandably exuberant about being top 10, perhaps top 5, this year. Given the things I mentioned earlier I'm understandably looking forward to the future.

Setting aside our usual smack, I don't begrudge Texas their past successes, we strive to play for it all as well.

As of now, I like where we are...nothing more...but nothing less.

Your success must be considered in the context of your conference, right now your team is facing a juggernaut in Bama who has raided the state for 7 of the top 20 players in the state. Including the #1 Center, #1 OT, #1 RB, and #1 WR.

Texas neither plays you or Bama unless we get in the playoffs so our recruiting is relivant to the idea that we face Oklahoma every year and they are ahead of us in both recruiting and development of these players. The fact that you have taken guys we wanted is concerning but the likihood is we will never have to face you or these players in the next 4 or 5 years. Is your class good? Absolutely. Is it Alabama good? No, not even close.

Agreed. I expect (hope?) after signing day we break into the top 5 classes. Stacking those classes as we have for the last 3 years should remove talent as a reason not to succeed.

I also like the way Jimbo recruits to needs first, not stars. Sumlin's classes were often highly rated but we had gaping holes.

Agreed. I expect (hope?) after signing day we break into the top 5 classes. Stacking those classes as we have for the last 3 years should remove talent as a reason not to succeed.

I also like the way Jimbo recruits to needs first, not stars. Sumlin's classes were often highly rated but we had gaping holes.

You do realize the distance between #5 recruiting class and the top 2 classes in this cycle? It's the difference if you lived in Bill Gates neighborhood and owned a 300K home. Yes you live in his neighborhood, but there is a big difference between your 300K home and his 50 million dollar home.

Alabama is sitting in the 50 million dollar home while your top 5 class is still only 300K.

Of course that is still better than the Projects Texas is currently living in.

Reactions: LonghornMM
You do realize the distance between #5 recruiting class and the top 2 classes in this cycle? It's the difference if you lived in Bill Gates neighborhood and owned a 300K home. Yes you live in his neighborhood, but there is a big difference between your 300K home and his 50 million dollar home.

Alabama is sitting in the 50 million dollar home while your top 5 class is still only 300K.

Of course that is still better than the Projects Texas is currently living in.

Stiil, a team can only put 11 guys on the field at once. We need to have the best 11 on the field at all times. The rotation junk is killing us. Free Jared Wiley and Bijan Robinson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT