ADVERTISEMENT

Sir Mack

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/05/18/mack-brown-says-biggest-thing-texas-needs-tom-hermans-first-year

I think he should stay doing commercials and winding rubber bands in his office then giving Herman advice, wonder if Herman knows his mentor got fired for making bad decisions and giving up and brought us down..as long as he is around there will be a shadow over UT football, the Man had it all at one time, coulda been the greatest since Royal till he messed up..This is like the blind leading the blind he needs to start doing card shows like Earl and leave UT FB alone, I think Herrman might make it if he doesn't listen to outside advice, he stared pretty good so far, hope he keeps going and get us outa this drought

Hook'em

Reactions: bozans
Thanks for sharing the article, FB. Everything that Coach Brown said is spot-on. Tom Herman respects Mack Brown, and vice versa. As Coach Brown respected Coach Royal, solicited his advice and welcomed him on the 40 Acres, Coach Herman will most likely do the same with Coach Brown. I think Tom Herman was an excellent choice and will end up doing well at Texas.

Hook'em!

I have no problem with TH following MB's advice I mean the man gave Texas 9-10 win seasons like it was a walk in the park and has a 158-48 record while at UT and a 10-5 record in the bowl games. Yeah that diminished towards the end of his career but it's damn better than 5-7,5-7 ANNNNNND 5-7. Guess what Mack never did? Start off 5-7 at UT. I think Herman is a very intelligent coach with a fire that we need in the football program. Changes are coming and we'll see a lot of W's on our record.

Oh AND 1-1 in NC appearances. I mean if you don't want mentorship from that kind of coach well then I can't convince you otherwise. Bag on Mack all you want but the man put UT Football back on the map and consistently in our homes. I've only been a fan for 20 years but I give credit where credits due. He screwed up at the end but come on!

Last edited:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...gest-thing-texas-needs-tom-hermans-first-year

I think he should stay doing commercials and winding rubber bands in his office then giving Herman advice, wonder if Herman knows his mentor got fired for making bad decisions and giving up and brought us down..as long as he is around there will be a shadow over UT football, the Man had it all at one time, coulda been the greatest since Royal till he messed up..This is like the blind leading the blind he needs to start doing card shows like Earl and leave UT FB alone, I think Herrman might make it if he doesn't listen to outside advice, he stared pretty good so far, hope he keeps going and get us outa this drought

Hook'em

"Herman should listen to me and ignore one of the most successful coaches in Texas football history."

Reactions: Bwilk55 and bozans
Thanks for sharing the article, FB. Everything that Coach Brown said is spot-on. Tom Herman respects Mack Brown, and vice versa. As Coach Brown respected Coach Royal, solicited his advice and welcomed him on the 40 Acres, Coach Herman will most likely do the same with Coach Brown. I think Tom Herman was an excellent choice and will end up doing well at Texas.

Hook'em!

Well you are the one that got me to like Tom and he's growing on me and I want him to do well without the outside interference and advice that could interfere with his plans to bring us back, politics get in the way of this job at Texas, ask Mack..

Hook'em

How can you say great after he crashed the program Bubba? Why ya think he got fired?

Hook'em

Because we won a national championship and played for another. And had as good a stretch as we've ever had since Royal. If Mack isn't our greatest coach since Royal who is?

Reactions: diadevic
How can you say great after he crashed the program Bubba? Why ya think he got fired?

Hook'em
2010.....5-7
2011.....8-5
2012.....9-4
2013.....8-5

1997.....4-7
1996.....8-5
1995.....10-2
1994.....8-4

I'd say he had about the same last four years as the guy before him. What he had in addition to the guy before him was one National Championship, two National Championship appearances, two Big 12 Conference Championships, and multiple top five finishes at the end of the year.

so it is Mack's fault he lost his QBs to injury. What was his record with Case? I challenge any coach to did what he did after loosing QBs to transfer and injury. Don't get me wrong, Case had more heart than any player in Longhorn history, but he was too small and too frail.
How quickly we forget DKRs last few years.
Everyone knows Texas needs to get back to relevance ASAP or we loose our legacy. But don't blame Mack on a run of injuries and transfers.

Ultimately, the head coach is responsible. For recruiting backup QBs, etc. For making sure special teams are fairly flawless. For keeping control of the program, and that athletes aren't getting into trouble. For being sure that they go to class, and get their grades. For making sure some lose weight, and others bulk up. For everything.

I don't agree with those who hate Mack, who only remember the tailspin at the end, just as I don't agree with those who ignore that. It's all a part of his legacy.

Mack Brown revived Texas football. Toward the end he had a few sub-par years, but every coach does. Darrell Royal's record in his final year was 5-5-1. In the mid-60s he had three straight years where he was 6-4. I read one time that UT under Mack Brown had a higher rating from ex-players than any other school. It would be foolish and an insult for Tom Herman to not consult Mack Brown for advice or just as a courtesy.

And took us off the map..

Not true. We may not be winning like when he was our coach but the football program is still one of the highest grossing programs in America. We're still on TV and we still get recruits. Maybe not all the ones you want or I want but they'll come in. We win and it's back to the top 10 every year.

Mack needed to go, but he didn't take us off the map, and he is not the reason we went 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7. Strong was a horrible coach here. We made a horrible hire that dug the hole even deeper.

Closest comparison of Mack at UT would be Fulmer at Tenn. Both won MNCs, several top 5-10 finishes, but not many conference or divisional titles because of other divisonal power (OU and UF). After long successful run, both had down years (2005 and 2010). After that, both had 3 years of winning records (Mack 25-14, Phil 24-15) but were downgraded from national power to barely top25.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT