ADVERTISEMENT

So Shane gets 1st reps

hookem777

Dec 13, 2011
I guess I just don't understand TH lately. The Warren crime and all I heard about was Shane was available at USC. He didn't play obviously and Herman seems high on Sam but now Shane gets first reps again?

How do y'all feel about this? Did Sam earn 1st team Saturday or do you go with Shane. I'm torn honestly.

He's probably keeping Sam competitive or still trust Shane more. It's definitely a different way of going in week to week not knowing who our starting QB is.

Last edited:
I agree. I have mixed emotions though. Shane had a great freshman year and has experience but lacks the ability to make the big throw or over the middle. Sam is still young and needs to learn but has the arm. Sam reminds me some what of GG though. The big arm but reads one Target and throws a bomb and prays. Luck for him he has Collin johnson and I think gg best Target was mike Davis or something like that .

I agree. I have mixed emotions though. Shane had a great freshman year and has experience but lacks the ability to make the big throw or over the middle. Sam is still young and needs to learn but has the arm. Sam reminds me some what of GG though. The big arm but reads one Target and throws a bomb and prays. Luck for him he has Collin johnson and I think gg best Target was mike Davis or something like that .
Ehlinger does not have a "big" arm. He has a good arm. Not great. Buechele right now has much better accuracy than Ehlinger. Some of the big passes Ehlinger threw were GREAT catches not necessarily great throws.

Ehlinger does not have a "big" arm. He has a good arm. Not great. Buechele right now has much better accuracy than Ehlinger. Some of the big passes Ehlinger threw were GREAT catches not necessarily great throws.
Idk, he seemed to be able to throw the deep ball with ease. I agree not as accurate as buchele but I think Sam has a cannon.

I do think Shane is more accurate as well right now. I just hope we choose one and start developing that one. We can't be turning to new true freshmen every year. We really need to have a veteran QB if we want to take the next step.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I like Sam's upside but I'm not sure he's there yet. Part of me wants to just go ahead with him knowing we have Shane as a backup if he struggles. The other part doesn't want to sacrifice possible games due to freshman mistakes. I'm torn.

Reactions: hookem777
The coaches need to be reminded that Shane had the benefit of having a 2000+yard beast in the backfield with him last year. Even with a marginal offensive line Foreman kept the defenses honest.

For Shane or Sam to be successful, they need a running game to open up the passing lanes. Warren may potentially be close to Foreman's production but Carter definitely isn't.

Reactions: TXSFRED
The coaches need to be reminded that Shane had the benefit of having a 2000+yard beast in the backfield with him last year. Even with a marginal offensive line Foreman kept the defenses honest.

For Shane or Sam to be successful, they need a running game to open up the passing lanes. Warren may potentially be close to Foreman's production but Carter definitely isn't.

Yeah. I am wishing I could text Coach O'Brian of the Texans, " If you don't have sense enough to start D'onta Foreman, loan him back to Coach Herman." :)

Shane had a great running back but only 3 pass plays.

Ok after listening to the press conference twice I can say I don't think TH understands that his quote "the definition of insanity is repeating the same act expecting different results." isn't meant for running the football. This quote is probably not good to use when you've only attempted to run with Warren 4 times. I think what we're going to get with TH is aggressive and mistakes because he's a young coach. I'm willing to accept that but I don't like the excuse of it didn't work the 4th time during the football game when it comes to running the ball. There's 4qtrs of football I'm sure we could've tried 10-15 times with Warren during that span. That's probably the only thing that irked me during the press conference.

There maybe something else going on that we're not aware of but I guess that will play out during the season. If Warren doesn't get 20 + attempts against Iowa St. something is up.

Last edited:
Shane has the more accurate arm, but has trouble actually scoring points. His durability also has to be in question at this point. Was injured at some point last year. Injured week 1 this year., and with the OL being what it is it would seem another injury is just a matter of time.

Sam was starting to find his stride in the 2nd half of the USC game. Communication with the WRs getting better. Now your gonna go back to Shane on the road and he hasn't played a snap of football in a month. Seems like your setting everyone up for failure here

Herman clearly prefers Sam. You can hear it in the way he talks about him. Shane who according to the staff was avalIble Saturday never took the headset off. If he does prefer Sam and thinks Sam has a chance to be the future you might as well ride with him and go through the growing pains. Now he's put Shane in a spot where if he gets off to a slow start next week he almost has to go to Sam.

Shane has the more accurate arm, but has trouble actually scoring points. His durability also has to be in question at this point. Was injured at some point last year. Injured week 1 this year., and with the OL being what it is it would seem another injury is just a matter of time.

Sam was starting to find his stride in the 2nd half of the USC game. Communication with the WRs getting better. Now your gonna go back to Shane on the road and he hasn't played a snap of football in a month. Seems like your setting everyone up for failure here

Herman clearly prefers Sam. You can hear it in the way he talks about him. Shane who according to the staff was avalIble Saturday never took the headset off. If he does prefer Sam and thinks Sam has a chance to be the future you might as well ride with him and go through the growing pains. Now he's put Shane in a spot where if he gets off to a slow start next week he almost has to go to Sam.

He didn't say Shane was starting though he just said he'd get 1st team reps but so will Sam. I'll bet Sam starts against Iowa St.

I'm a Sam fan. He in no way reminds me of GG. He is about as scrappy of a QB you could ask for.

That being said I think the coaches have to come to grips with an offensive identity.

If the make shift o-line is better at pass blocking than run blocking, and you value your receiving corp over the running backs you go with Shane.

If the line can run block, and you want to lean on the running game taking a little pressure off the QB you go with Sam.

Herman has said he wants to be balanced. But so far it looks like they prefer the pass.

He didn't say Shane was starting though he just said he'd get 1st team reps but so will Sam. I'll bet Sam starts against Iowa St.
I could of swore I heard him say Shane was starting if healthy. I'll have to rewatch maybe he didn't. Either way as young as both of these QBs are whoever his starter is should be getting almost all the 1st team reps. They need all the reps possible.

I could of swore I heard him say Shane was starting if healthy.

Possibly in another interview but during the press conference he specifically said he wasn't making a decision 10 days out.

Texas coach Tom Herman said that when the Longhorns return to practice on Tuesday, Shane Buechele will get most of the reps with the first team. Sam Ehlinger, the true freshman who started the last two games, will also get reps. Herman declined to name a starter for the Iowa State game, which is 10 days away.

Last edited:
Yeah just watched the 4th again and man Sam looked poised and determined. He looked good throwing the ball he did over throw some plays but man it looks like he can feel the pocket collapsing. His throws on the run are pretty good and he's a gamer!

This is just wrong. How can you say Shane cant throw over the middle when I do not remember one attempt called over the middle.....not one!....doesnt mean he cant make the throw....as far as his start against Maryland, he was not getting any kind of protection.

Guys...I am very impressed with Sam. If the coaches choose to start him I wont blink. I dont know how the game would have gone against USC if Shane had played. No sense even thinking about it.Many things Shane would have done better....many he would have done worse. The coaches can work this one out. I do think it is damned strange that everyone seems to have an opinion on which has the stronger arm...Sam or Shane. This also seems to be divided among the writers that are supposed to know something.Myself, I have heard so many different opinions on this that I have no clue.

The good news to me is that for the first time in 7 years, we have a good option in the event a QB goes down.

Reactions: TX1972 and swVAHorn
I wish Herman would just name a guy instead of playing the guess who game every week. I think it would be better for the team going forward yo know this is are guy and it's not going to be a guessing game each week. You don't gain any real advantage by trying to keep it secret last minuite. If anything it probably hurts your success long term.

I wish Herman would just name a guy instead of playing the guess who game every week. I think it would be better for the team going forward yo know this is are guy and it's not going to be a guessing game each week. You don't gain any real advantage by trying to keep it secret last minuite. If anything it probably hurts your success long term.
Remember when TH was off coord at tOSU? Won the natl champship with the 3rd QB? Because the 1st 2 were hurt.

I'm a Sam fan. He in no way reminds me of GG. He is about as scrappy of a QB you could ask for.

That being said I think the coaches have to come to grips with an offensive identity.

If the make shift o-line is better at pass blocking than run blocking, and you value your receiving corp over the running backs you go with Shane.

If the line can run block, and you want to lean on the running game taking a little pressure off the QB you go with Sam.

Herman has said he wants to be balanced. But so far it looks like they prefer the pass.

I agree Sam is Scrappy and looks tough. But every time he dropped back I was waiting on the bomb. Just like GG. But as the game went on I admitted I owed Sam a apologie. He grew up some at USC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT