ADVERTISEMENT

Spanker Gheyfield and Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heisenberg there is something you don't seem to understand. The greater Austin area is what now 1.5 million? And it's starting to become a hotbed for top talent, P5 worthy talent, AA talent. I assume you know there is a limit of only 25 players scholly players each year.

That being said the University of Texas can't sign the best players in the Austin area every year so why area you trying to make a big deal out of all this?

Finally let me give you a list of our best qb's over time last 20 years.

Colt McCoy was from a class 2A school in some podunk West Texas town I
can't remember.

Vince was from Houston

Major Applewhite was from Baton Rouge, LA

James Brown was from Beaumont.

Now what else do you want to talk about?

I understand that very well. I am also aware of scholarship limits. Im not making a big deal of it, i made an observation and some of you responded. So it's continuing as i am responding to those responses and the conversation keeps going. The fact that we are discussing it now doesnt mean i am making a big deal of it. just responding to peoples' posts. And while they cant take all the best in austin every year they can sure have their pick of the very best... so that's why its more than nothing. I mean it's probably the easiest university to recruit from in the country for football.

What else do YOU want to talk about?

Valid. He's put up a lot of points with different players against teams not as good as OU. My point however was that he was flat outcoached in the 2nd half of that Georgia game against a comparable team. Baker balled out, that particular loss was on Riley's playcalling IMO. Remember also that you guys had the ball in the 4th with 3.5 minutes left with a 7-point lead and couldn't move the ball when you needed to.

I guess all the youth QBs want to sign up for that awesomeness on the national stage.

I understand what happened in the 2nd half, I was watching the game too. He also coached an incredible first half and that also has to be recognized. You cant expect him to be excellent 100% of the time, his track record is shows us what kind of play caller he is and for a rookie HC I think he did a fine job. All he has to do is learn from his mistakes because everyone makes them. I mean from that game he decided he wanted to hire Beamer away from them and hired defensive analyst in Diaco, who has had some nice success on defense. Hired a new S&C coach and it's already paying off big time. Things like that you like to see out of a HC. Stoops was more stubborn in that department

I understand what happened in the 2nd half, I was watching the game too.
Did I touch a nerve? I thought we were making veiled passive aggressive insults under the guise of interesting football talk. Is that not what's going on here? Like you make comments like "you guys lose local players and have no offense" and I bring up Riley's faceplant in the CFP semis last year since all QBs want to play for him apparently. If not, sincere apologies.

He also coached an incredible first half and that also has to be recognized. You cant expect him to be excellent 100% of the time...
Yes, I understand how halftime adjustments happened on the part of Georgia and not OU. That's called coaching. I watched the game too.

It's been a year now and I'm starting to experience withdrawal symptoms......

I never thought going through life without making Bob stoops bag'o dicks jokes would be so difficult.

Did I touch a nerve? I thought we were making veiled passive aggressive insults under the guise of interesting football talk. Is that not what's going on here? Like you make comments like "you guys lose local players and have no offense" and I bring up Riley's faceplant in the CFP semis last year since all QBs want to play for him apparently. If not, sincere apologies.

Yes, I understand how halftime adjustments happened on the part of Georgia and not OU. That's called coaching. I watched the game too.

No nerve touched, just confirming that Indeed, I too watched that game.

I'm spectacularly happy with the direction the team is going and am very satisfied with last season. It's really a great time to be a Sooner

Well bully for you then.

Still, I would think having a 7-point lead and the ball with 3.5 minutes left with a trip to the national championship game on the line and then blowing it would leave a bad taste in a fan's mouth. But good for you looking at the silver lining.

I'm spectacularly happy with the direction the team is going and am very satisfied with last season. It's really a great time to be a Sooner

I fail to comprehend how anyone could intentionally be a Sooner fan. Barf. o_O

Reactions: Scholz

I am glad you are so confident but your lack of understanding the game is apparent.
OU under Riley will continue to struggle until there is a total transformation to their defense.

Herman is building the Anti Oklahoma.
Meaning he is building a team that can control the clock and ball with both their defense and offense.

Your entire team is dependent on one player. Your QB.
Texas learned the consequences of this in 2009.
UT was the better team but couldn't win unless McCoy was there.

Herman won at Ohio St with 3 QBs. He just put another one in because his offense was centered around the OL.

Well bully for you then.

Still, I would think having a 7-point lead and the ball with 3.5 minutes left with a trip to the national championship game on the line and then blowing it would leave a bad taste in a fan's mouth. But good for you looking at the silver lining.

Right-o ole chap.

I didnt say it didnt suck to see them lose that game.. Still really happy with last season.

I am glad you are so confident but your lack of understanding the game is apparent.
OU under Riley will continue to struggle until there is a total transformation to their defense.

Meaning he is building a team that can control the clock and ball with both their defense and offense.

Herman won at Ohio St with 3 QBs. He just put another one in because his offense was centered around the OL.

Well I am glad you are so confident in your post but your lack of understanding on what direction OU is going with defense is apparent. OU under Riley didnt struggle all that much and that was with a really bad defense. Still all their best players are freshmen and sophmores for the most part. If you follow recruiting you will note that defense has been trending upward since 2017- in fact you'd be hard pressed to find a better 2018 Dline class than OU's D line class. nearly the whole 2 deep, for the first tine in a very long time will be full of 4 and 5 star guys instead of 3 and 4 star guys and that will start to really pay dividends soon. You know how recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and he's taking it seriously on defense. So yeah that transformation is forthcoming as they transition in those players.

OU's entire team is not dependent on the QB , that is a true betrayer of your knowledge of OU. There really is no weakness on offense, in fact if there was one, it would be the lack of experience at QB, the position you think the whole team depends on completely. The qb will be surrounded by talent, it will make his job easy.

I fail to comprehend how anyone could intentionally be a Sooner fan. Barf. o_O

I've went over that in a previous post. It's really easy, just as easy as it would be to be fan of any local team.

Valid. He's put up a lot of points with different players against teams not as good as OU. My point however was that he was flat outcoached in the 2nd half of that Georgia game against a comparable team. Baker balled out, that particular loss was on Riley's playcalling IMO. Remember also that you guys had the ball in the 4th with 3.5 minutes left with a 7-point lead and couldn't move the ball when you needed to.

I guess all the youth QBs want to sign up for that awesomeness on the national stage.
I agree. I was horrified when we opened the 2nd half of play and OU came out playing like we were going to slow things down and let our defense shut the other team down. I could not understand for the life of me why we did not keep the pedal down and just wear Georgia out offensively. But, we didn't and here we are.

Live and learn. We'll see if the midget can keep up Baker's level of play.

Right-o ole chap.

I didnt say it didnt suck to see them lose that game.. Still really happy with last season.

Well I am glad you are so confident in your post but your lack of understanding on what direction OU is going with defense is apparent. OU under Riley didnt struggle all that much and that was with a really bad defense. Still all their best players are freshmen and sophmores for the most part. If you follow recruiting you will note that defense has been trending upward since 2017- in fact you'd be hard pressed to find a better 2018 Dline class than OU's D line class. nearly the whole 2 deep, for the first tine in a very long time will be full of 4 and 5 star guys instead of 3 and 4 star guys and that will start to really pay dividends soon. You know how recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and he's taking it seriously on defense. So yeah that transformation is forthcoming as they transition in those players.

OU's entire team is not dependent on the QB , that is a true betrayer of your knowledge of OU. There really is no weakness on offense, in fact if there was one, it would be the lack of experience at QB, the position you think the whole team depends on completely. The qb will be surrounded by talent, it will make his job easy.

I've went over that in a previous post. It's really easy, just as easy as it would be to be fan of any local team.

I am a believer in offense and defense efficiency because it hasn't done me wrong.

Texas had a 85 defensive efficiency.
But a 35 on offense.
It is not that much of a reach to believe that Ehlinger will add to the efficiency all year with a better line and run game.

Ehlinger was a much more efficient QB than Buechele.

If Texas can maintain their defense and have a 68-64 offense efficiency they would be considered similar to what Clemson, Georgia, Alabama and Wisconsin were last year.

Even a 45 puts them at the level of Va Tech and Michigan.

Just a slight improvement will put this team at 9-3 and Top 15.

People are being conservative and predicting a slight improvement to 40-50.

Anything over 50 will put this team at a double digit win team and favorite for the Big XII
Especially if Oklahoma has a huge drop off in their offense efficiency
It will be difficult for OU without Mayfield to be around 90 again.

I am a believer in offense and defense efficiency because it hasn't done me wrong.

Texas had a 85 defensive efficiency.
But a 35 on offense.
It is not that much of a reach to believe that Ehlinger will add to the efficiency all year with a better line and run game.

Ehlinger was a much more efficient QB than Buechele.

If Texas can maintain their defense and have a 68-64 offense efficiency they would be considered similar to what Clemson, Georgia, Alabama and Wisconsin were last year.

Even a 45 puts them at the level of Va Tech and Michigan.

Just a slight improvement will put this team at 9-3 and Top 15.

People are being conservative and predicting a slight improvement to 40-50.

Anything over 50 will put this team at a double digit win team and favorite for the Big XII
Especially if Oklahoma has a huge drop off in their offense efficiency
It will be difficult for OU without Mayfield to be around 90 again.

I heard it it would be difficult without Mixon, Perine and Westbrook too. I think people underestimate the amount of talent they have surrounding the quarterback and what they have returning. Plus it's not a stretch to suggest Riley is the best if not one of the best play callers in the country. The qb wont be as efficient as Mayfield but the offense itself can be just as efficient if they are moving the ball.

Just like you presume an increase in offensive efficiency for texas I do the same with OU on defense. Some new players and some changing around of things and they have been looking like a very improved defense. Finally getting some good talent too! I am sure texas will be better, who knows, not sure with that line and the mystery rb of the day though, and a good qb but not sure if he's able to be consistent enough to be a big 12 championship qb. I'd say it depends on how good some other teams like wvu, ksu, tcu, osu will be to see if you guys get to double digit territory. That just seems lofty right now without trying to seem biased. Just too many teams who can put on points week after week. If the D can avg under 17-18 ppg given up i bet they have a decent shot at it.

Your offense was at a record level for efficiency.
Most teams at best are a 90.
OU was a 96.6. Very hard to duplicate.

Let's say in 2018
OU has a 85 efficiency rating on offense.
Top 5.

They improve their defense to a 65. They will be somewhere between Penn St and UCF last year.

Still top 10. Not where they want to be

The reason why.
OU will need tremendous gains on D.
A 90 offense and a 60 defense is not the same as a 60 offense and a 90 defense.

The growth with an improve defense and an elite offense is not the same if you already have an elite D and are trying to improve the offense.

Oklahoma St was a decent team last year.
89.2 offense
61.7 defense.

That is where I see OU this year.
Improvement on D but a step back on Offense.

Last edited:

No way man...Moses is right...concussion left and concussion right just isn't going to get it done.:(

Sam Ehlinger is the QB. Might be for the next three years.

His ability to not just run but block as well makes this offense dynamic.

According to reports when Ingram and Watson are in the defense has to over pursue and especially in the 12 personal sets the offense becomes dynamic in the red zone.

Not to mention the improvement of LJH and Collin Johnson.

This team unlike last year once inside the 20 is scoring TDs.

Just need to get inside the red zone.

Your offense was at a record level for efficiency.
Most teams at best are a 90.
OU was a 96.6. Very hard to duplicate.

Let's say in 2018
OU has a 85 efficiency rating on offense.
Top 5.

They improve their defense to a 65. They will be somewhere between Penn St and UCF last year.

Still top 10. Not where they want to be

The reason why.
OU will need tremendous gains on D.
A 90 offense and a 60 defense is not the same as a 60 offense and a 90 defense.

The growth with an improve defense and an elite offense is not the same if you already have an elite D and are trying to improve the offense.

Oklahoma St was a decent team last year.
89.2 offense
61.7 defense.

That is where I see OU this year.
Improvement on D but a step back on Offense.

Just how much improvement they need on defense is a matter of opinion. They may only need to improve in one area to get significant gains in efficiency. I think they will improve enough on defense to make up for whatever they lose on offense. They went to the playoffs in 2015 with an offensive efficiency of 81.2 and I believe they would be better than that mark this year. They have been winning the big 12 with low defensive efficiency ratings, and winning the big 12 usually puts you in line to compete for the playoffs. Now when they get there the problem has been they had been outmatched athlete for athlete, and that's something they have to fix with better talent, something that has without a doubt been improving with recent recruiting efforts. Just like how dangerous texas will be if they can get an offense, OU will be moreso dangerous in their own right if they can play some defense. Could mean some big battles coming forward

Just how much improvement they need on defense is a matter of opinion. They may only need to improve in one area to get significant gains in efficiency. I think they will improve enough on defense to make up for whatever they lose on offense. They went to the playoffs in 2015 with an offensive efficiency of 81.2 and I believe they would be better than that mark this year. They have been winning the big 12 with low defensive efficiency ratings, and winning the big 12 usually puts you in line to compete for the playoffs. Now when they get there the problem has been they had been outmatched athlete for athlete, and that's something they have to fix with better talent, something that has without a doubt been improving with recent recruiting efforts. Just like how dangerous texas will be if they can get an offense, OU will be moreso dangerous in their own right if they can play some defense. Could mean some big battles coming forward

Sounds like Jerry will be getting the Red River in his Stadium.
Twice a year for the majority of this upcoming decade will be interesting.

Might take some allure and importance from October.
I can get up for a game against Rice if UT is any good so that does not matter to me.

Sounds like Jerry will be getting the Red River in his Stadium.
Twice a year for the majority of this upcoming decade will be interesting.

Might take some allure and importance from October.
I can get up for a game against Rice if UT is any good so that does not matter to me.

Well as far as I know the october game will be played at the state fair until the sun explodes in a supernova and envelops earth a few billion years from now. For my money I'd rather play one of the game's premier matchups away from that dump but the purists like the tradition. Though an OU Tx matchup in december for the Big 12 would be huge. It would nearly guarantee one of us gets in the playoffs

Doesn't this OU fan know Wilson is badmouthing his school as well

Wilson said the BIG XII, including OU, provides him with less of a chance to reach the NFL than Ohio St does

He has been saying this narrative at camps from what I have heard.

He is a bad apple this year. Don't even know why he is in Texas. Needs to take his Yankee ass back to Ohio.

Pretty funny considering how many Big 12 receivers are in the NFL. It's just him trying to sell his bad decision at a school that is very pro UT. Kid is good, and chose not to go to Texas. Don't care. AD chose not to go to Texas and it cost him a national title. Texas is Texas with or without Wilson. Next year Dumas will be the Wilson, there will be another after that. Still, Texas is Texas.

Pretty funny considering how many Big 12 receivers are in the NFL. It's just him trying to sell his bad decision at a school that is very pro UT. Kid is good, and chose not to go to Texas. Don't care. AD chose not to go to Texas and it cost him a national title. Texas is Texas with or without Wilson. Next year Dumas will be the Wilson, there will be another after that. Still, Texas is Texas.
If we had Adrian during our national title run, it would have been silly.

MM..... I would never call you out over an OU guy....... but you gotta admit...... this Texas born kid has done more for the lowly cleveland browns than any qb in recent memory. It kills me a little bit that we didn't end up with him.

I'm impressed with Mayfield so far. He's much better than a lot of people thought that he would be. Time will tell how good he turns out to be though.

I'm impressed with Mayfield so far. He's much better than a lot of people thought that he would be. Time will tell how good he turns out to be though.

True but your tone it sounds like you are more or less wanting him to fail. Feels like you're taking the pessimist approach to Mayfield. He'd be a lock for ROY if it werent for Barkley. It certainly seems that he has the chops to make it at the next level.

Mayfield has one thing that you can't teach, and that's heart. He just won't quit, no matter how much you tell him he should.

With Mahomes also doing so well, its kind of interesting that we're seeing some Big XII "system" QBs making a big impact in the NFL.

You guys think that its because the NFL is moving it's offensive style more towards like what we see in college, or more the result that these two guys are just exceptionally talented?

Last edited:
I'm not wanting to see Mayfield fail. However, I'm not ready to anoint him an elite QB either. He's only done well in an abbreviated amount of time in the NFL, so time will tell. Mayfield has played well, but nowhere close to what Mahomes has done. I get it that you Sooners are "fans", are you're rooting for him. I don't have that emotional pull/bias for him that y'all do. Let it play out. If he is successful long term, I'll give him his due, as I'm sure others here will.

Mayfield has one thing that you can't teach, and that's heart. He just won't quit, no matter how much you tell him he should.

With Mahomes also doing so well, its kind of interesting that we're seeing some Big XII "system" QBs making a big impact in the NFL.

You guys think that its because the NFL is moving it's offensive style more towards like what we see in college, or more the result that these two guys are just exceptionally talented?
I think we are seeing more Big 12 quarterbacks succeed in the NFL because everybody underestimates how good the offenses in this conference really are. Everybody can say the Big 12 doesn’t play defense all day but what they don’t realize is when you have an offense that can put together 80+ yard drives in under 2 minutes that is putting the defense on the field a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT