ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops Retiring???

He was a good coach for them. He's been consistent but he did lose his killer instinct several years ago. Hope it leads to a rough year for them. He falls one win shy of DKR in RRS wins.

Well....he did buy that $2mil house a few months back....Somehow, when recruiting gets away from them the top coaches lose interest and just go away.Stoops just did it quick enough so that his BMD's werent firing up the torches just yet. HOF guy for sure.

Seriously, it could be like DKR when the BMD's got to worrying that Akers was going to be lost to them....Ryley was starting to get mentioned for vacancies. I suspect that played a bigger part than we might realize.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I guess now was as good as anytime to hang it up. The guy won a crap load of games but all things come to an end. Riley seems like a fairly good young coach so a new chapter begins.

I guess now was as good as anytime to hang it up. The guy won a crap load of games but all things come to an end. Riley seems like a fairly good young coach so a new chapter begins.
Gary Gibbs seemed like a good young coach once upon a time.

Stoops is first ballot hall of famer - he will be tough to replace. The door is open for Herman to make an immediate impact.

Wow. I did not see this one coming especially the timing. More will be revealed.

I mean Lincoln Riley is a kid. But one big difference between him and Kliff Kingsbury is that he will inherit a much better team.

It will be interesting how the kids play this year at Oklahoma. I mean there is some similarity between Riley and Jim Grobe. Will the kids play like they're uncertain about the coaching staff? Sure Riley will be there for awhile but what about everyone else?

I have to give Bob Stoops props he had a he** of a career at OK.

If this had gone the way most transitions occur in late January, which realistic candidates would you and other sooner fans have on the shortlist? Would it be Riley, or would he have been a casualty? Not much anybody can do in June-Riley is pretty much the only viable option.

If this had gone the way most transitions occur in late January, which realistic candidates would you and other sooner fans have on the shortlist? Would it be Riley, or would he have been a casualty? Not much anybody can do in June-Riley is pretty much the only viable option.
I personally have hoped that Riley was the coach in waiting. I'm hoping he brings some fire to the program. But Stoops won a heck of a lot of games and was pretty much in contention for a conference title more years than not. It'll be interesting going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
I personally have hoped that Riley was the coach in waiting. I'm hoping he brings some fire to the program. But Stoops won a heck of a lot of games and was pretty much in contention for ag Lear a commence title more years than not. It'll be interesting going forward.
What is the current chatter and consensus of the majority of sooner fans in general about the news? Fear, love it, pissed, uncertainty?

What is the current chatter and consensus of the majority of sooner fans in general about the news? Fear, love it, pissed, uncertainty?
I don't know about the majority of Sooner fans but the few I've talked to seem to be ok and they like Riley. It would be a lot different if Stoops just up and quit and left us high and dry. I have to say he's going out at a good time for him and hopefully for the program. If I was him I wouldn't want to hang around and go out like Spurrier did or Bowden even

When I first saw this today, I thought for sure it was a satire site. That's about as much as I care to have in common with Barry Switzer.

From ESPN's Mark Schlabach:
How much of a secret was Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops' plan to retire? Legendary Sooners coach Barry Switzer, who still lives in Norman, was driving on the OU campus Wednesday when an ESPN reporter called him and broke the news. "To me, it's like you calling me and saying I've had dealings with Russia. Is this fake news?" Switzer said he met with Stoops on Monday, and didn't mention anything about retiring.​

For OU, he was pretty honest, fair, level-headed. Tough to beat. Had teams that would just steam-roll you.

Time for a new era in the RRS game. Herman vs. Riley.

bulldozer is right......he won a lot of games and was in contention for conference championship games more than any other BIG XII team.......yet he only won 1 National Championship. When you get labeled "Big game Bob" after your first few seasons after a quick National Championship and fail to win another......it's gotta wear on you

Reactions: Cotton #12
**** off racist, no one here gives a **** what you think.

Fans at Ou want to win another National Championship but can Ou this year beat the following Teams: Alabama,LSU,Ohio State,USC,Michigan,Clemson and I sure do not want them to beat Texas so maybe at 56 and millions in the bank he can go play golf and forget about it.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Well....he did buy that $2mil house a few months back....Somehow, when recruiting gets away from them the top coaches lose interest and just go away.Stoops just did it quick enough so that his BMD's werent firing up the torches just yet. HOF guy for sure.

Seriously, it could be like DKR when the BMD's got to worrying that Akers was going to be lost to them....Ryley was starting to get mentioned for vacancies. I suspect that played a bigger part than we might realize.

Sounding like a plausible scenario. Riley seems like a smart level headed young coach. Having said that, I'm not sure how realistic it will be to expect/hope Riley to duplicate Stoops winning percentage etc. He won a bunch of games and had a few really good college qb's along the way. Those are really big shoes to fill but I think Riley deserves a shot at it as much as anyone.

See ya Stoops can't say I'll miss you but I was looking forward to beating your a$$ this season!

He was probably sick of kids addicted to twitter. Recruiting with twitter would get old for an old school coach. Lincoln is probably an expert at twitter. Maybe he was scared of Herman is being posted on the flagship. What banana boat did they fall off of? Herman was embarrassed by Navy, Memphis,and Chad Morris at SMU so I'm not getting what they're selling. I wouldn't read anything into the timing. It was good timing for the team going forward.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
He was probably sick of kids addicted to twitter. Recruiting with twitter would get old for an old school coach. Lincoln is probably an expert at twitter. Maybe he was scared of Herman is being posted on the flagship. What banana boat did they fall off of? Herman was embarrassed by Navy, Memphis,and Chad Morris at SMU so I'm not getting what they're selling. I wouldn't read anything into the timing. It was good timing for the team going forward.
Lol. Good timing? Got it.

Reactions: diadevic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT