ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops Retiring???

Maybe he was scared of Herman is being posted on the flagship. What banana boat did they fall off of? Herman was embarrassed by Navy, Memphis,and Chad Morris at SMU so I'm not getting what they're selling.

I think the statement was meant to ruffle some OU fan feathers. Looks like they did just that. I highly doubt anyone believes Stoops is scared of coaching against Herman.

He was probably sick of kids addicted to twitter. Recruiting with twitter would get old for an old school coach. Lincoln is probably an expert at twitter. Maybe he was scared of Herman is being posted on the flagship. What banana boat did they fall off of? Herman was embarrassed by Navy, Memphis,and Chad Morris at SMU so I'm not getting what they're selling. I wouldn't read anything into the timing. It was good timing for the team going forward.
I remember when DKR retired - he was only 50! And the primary reason he gave was the grind of recruiting. I imagine its pretty tough - you rise to the top of your profession, and yet every year you have to lower yourself down to kiss the a** of an 18 year old prima donna who wants to play the hat game. Probably gets old.

Reactions: westx
He was probably sick of kids addicted to twitter. Recruiting with twitter would get old for an old school coach. Lincoln is probably an expert at twitter. Maybe he was scared of Herman is being posted on the flagship. What banana boat did they fall off of? Herman was embarrassed by Navy, Memphis,and Chad Morris at SMU so I'm not getting what they're selling. I wouldn't read anything into the timing. It was good timing for the team going forward.

Yeah...he was embarrassed by SMU and Navy.....but NOT by OU...

Does this help the Horns vs the Schooners?

Stoops was a hell of a coach, so Riley has some big shoes to fill. There aren't many coaches better than Stoops the last 20 year. It's doubtful that it's just a seamless transition.

Bob Stoops has two sons who are both seniors in HS and play football. Perhaps he wants to get away from the grind and be able to enjoy his sons senior years. In addition to his $2 million house he just built around Norman, he also has a house in the Chicago area. If Brian Kelly has another bad year and Notre Dame fires him, which seems pretty likely, I could see ND making a serious run at Stoops. Chicago isn't that far from South Bend, and Stoops would be a great hire for ND.

This situation with Bob Stoops is very similar to Urban Meyer a few years ago, when Meyer took off a year for health reasons. His name was mentioned for every big-time CFB opening that came up. I could see this same thing happen with Stoops. Is there more to the story with BS stepping down? Maybe. Maybe not. If there is something that caused him to "retire", it will eventually come out. It will be very interesting to follow what happens with Stoops this season and how many feelers/offers he's going to get, which will be a lot.

Reactions: jsto60
Bob Stoops has two sons who are both seniors in HS and play football. Perhaps he wants to get away from the grind and be able to enjoy his sons senior years. In addition to his $2 million house he just built around Norman, he also has a house in the Chicago area. If Brian Kelly has another bad year and Notre Dame fires him, which seems pretty likely, I could see ND making a serious run at Stoops. Chicago isn't that far from South Bend, and Stoops would be a great hire for ND.

This situation with Bob Stoops is very similar to Urban Meyer a few years ago, when Meyer took off a year for health reasons. His name was mentioned for every big-time CFB opening that came up. I could see this same thing happen with Stoops. Is there more to the story with BS stepping down? Maybe. Maybe not. If there is something that caused him to "retire", it will eventually come out. It will be very interesting to follow what happens with Stoops this season and how many feelers/offers he's going to get, which will be a lot.

But maybe Stoops doesn't want to start over in his late 50's. Coaching is a young man's game.

I could see that happening, but I don't think that's his intentions right now. Things can change though. He's still human. It's completely understandable why a very successful very rich person would retire early from an incredibly demanding job. I don't think there are any ulterior motives in play.

I could see that happening, but I don't think that's his intentions right now. Things can change though. He's still human. It's completely understandable why a very successful very rich person would retire early from an incredibly demanding job. I don't think there are any ulterior motives in play.
He is young enough to where a short rest is enough to recharge. With all of the differing aspects to his sudden retirement, I could believe anything at this point.

For sure. Would love it if the Sooners got the nut kick of Stoops going to another job while they struggle to replace him. Like Florida and Meyers

Saban isn't likely going to coach anywhere else though. The sting comes when you watch your former coach have success elsewhere and you can't replace him.

Saban isn't likely going to coach anywhere else though. The sting comes when you watch your former coach have success elsewhere and you can't replace him.

The biggest sting is when your coach leaves and the team takes a step backwards. The icing on the cake is when that happens and he wins elsewhere.

If what we are hearing is true and there isn't a "big story" out there, he probably doesn't know himself whether he will coach again or not.

He could either be miserable not coaching, or he may love going to the Mary Kay conventions.

Who knows?

aTm is already claiming Stoops is going to replace Stumblin after this season.....paperwork has already been signed

I think he's done coaching but if he did return it would be another top tier program, assuming one becomes available, not a little program like Aggy.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
If he coaches again I think it will be ND or a Big 10 school. He's from the Midwest and played at Iowa, but does have $EC ties from coaching at Florida.

Stoops no longer has that burning desire that is needed, in my opinion. I don't see him going somewhere else to rebuild.

19029665_1711270425567535_286436414248503732_n.jpg

Heard a story that his dad died at age 54 during a game that he was coaching against his oldest son. Bob had always said that he would retire in his mid 50's which is where he is currently at. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in hiding, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he has just had enough. As it has been said many times, I don't know any other profession that you are at the top of your game and have to go and wine & dine 18 year olds and their families to have continued success.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Heard a story that his dad died at age 54 during a game that he was coaching against his oldest son. Bob had always said that he would retire in his mid 50's which is where he is currently at. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in hiding, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he has just had enough. As it has been said many times, I don't know any other profession that you are at the top of your game and have to go and wine & dine 18 year olds and their families to have continued success.
Mousekateer agent?

Give it a break dude, he's retired now and will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, deal with it.

Bell...you may or may not remember that I was defending Stoops when several Sooners on this board were after his ass. I never liked Stoops but I respected him. I always thought he "got it" where MB didnt in so far as never letting off the gas when you were winning the game. DKR would build big leads and then send in the second string and keep the offense going. MB never wanted to embarrass an opponent, but DKR knew he had to get the second and third teamers ready to play when they would be needed down the line. It also protected the starters from useless injuries.

Yeah...he is a HOF coach, but he has holes in his resume that will prevent him from being among the elite of the elite.

This is were one of my thoughts lies as well. He is set for life and can take a sabbatical year for his twins' Senior year and then decide whether or not to coach again.

Another thought is his 3 biggest influences' lives; his dad died of heart issues in his early 50s, the Purple Wizard can't let go and will die on the field, and Spurrier hung on too long. Stoops may have taken those into account.

Chicago may be as simple a world class city sorta in the middle of the U.S. with direct flights to most of the U.S. and much of the world for wherever his kids end up and for a media career.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT