ADVERTISEMENT

Strong officially targeting Cumbie

more from hsr...

Well, I don't know who Will Baizer is, but he just created a thread confirming Cumbie was at CHHS recruiting for TCU today. Patterson was with him.

more from hsr...

Well, I don't know who Will Baizer is, but he just created a thread confirming Cumbie was at CHHS recruiting for TCU today. Patterson was with him.

Wonder who the CHHS recruit is.

I'd bet that Strong and co have already contacted guys like Buechele to personally let him know there will be changes. I'd bet Watson had contact with him too. The key guys that are the ones recruiting for you.....you gotta keep open communication with them. Anyone see the top recruits mom who called Muschamp a liar for the way he handled the transition to USC?

It could be that Cumbie is moving on, but he is going with Patterson to tell their key recruit face to face. Or it could be that he is staying at TCU.

Time is of the essence, but you really have to give the guy at least 72 hours. Which means we need a decision tomorrow or the offer becomes non-commit-able.

Hook 'em

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
It could be that Cumbie is moving on, but he is going with Patterson to tell their key recruit face to face. Or it could be that he is staying at TCU.

Fair point, and clearly everyone who actually has a hand in these hirings and decisions knows way more than the rest of us. But, simply based on what those of us out of that loop know, it would makes sense to hope that A) there's either already a decision that's been made but that they don't want to announce yet, or B) there's a set timeline, and C) if there's a still a question as to whether Cumbie is going to take the job, that things are all set to move on Gilbert.

This clearly could just all be part of the process, but as people who can only speculate, it's easy to get antsy. But there's some truth to the idea that, if this is just being drawn out from Cumbie's side (and Strong doesn't have an answer yet)... that DOES kind of work against Texas in recruiting right now.

cumbia asking for unlimited perms ?

New7:00 pm per Chip Brown

Just told by a source close to the situation that negotiations are ongoing

Seems to be some buzz that Jinks (who was supposedly going to be part of the Cumbie-linked position hires I think?) will be the head coach at Bowling Green...? Not sure what that says about everything else going on...

Source tells us Gary Patterson said Cumbie is "torn." This was followed up with "He's [Patterson] certainly given Cumbie his blessing to leave if he thinks it's right for him."

Same source also clarified the "head coach in waiting" rumor as "absolutely false - "Patterson has at least a decade left most likely."

We were told it ultimately comes down to whether or not Cumbie thinks Strong is going to be around for a while & does Texas have the players to run his system, or will it take 2 years to recruit them all?

Seems to be some buzz that Jinks (who was supposedly going to be part of the Cumbie-linked position hires I think?) will be the head coach at Bowling Green...? Not sure what that says about everything else going on...
Syracuse Football @syrfootball

Bowling Green hires Mike Jinks to replace Dino Babers. Does that clear the way for Brian Ward to come to Cuse as DC? http://ow.ly/VDZ68

7:57 PM - 8 Dec 2015
Bowling Green hires Texas Tech assistant Mike Jinks to replace Dino Babers as head coach

By Nate Mink @MinkNate

Bowling Green moved quickly to replace Dino Babers, hiring Texas Tech assistant Mike Jinks as its new football coach, it was announced Tuesday night.

Can confirm not reported yet Cumbie is staying in Fort Worth. it will be announced officially by tomorrow.

I suppose I will be more credible when it's reported. It has been decided. Staying put.

You won't be credible whether it happens or not. From where I sit you have a 50/50 chance of being right, and it wouldn't be shocking either way. But popping up on a message board and having that be your first post ever is closer to a 90% chance of you just being here to troll.

From tcu 247....they seemed concerned and some assistant names are getting tossed out there.

Mobile-friendly - 19 mins ago - Is there serious concern that Curtis Luper would go with Sonny Cumbie if he takes the UT job? If so, this can't be good.

I suppose I will be more credible when it's reported. It has been decided. Staying put.
Why don't you make another account that reports 'He decided yesterday, but it took some time to hammer out the last few details and it will all be confirmed tomorrow'. Then one of the accounts will be correct and you can just drop the other.

Hook 'em

Source tells us Gary Patterson said Cumbie is "torn." This was followed up with "He's [Patterson] certainly given Cumbie his blessing to leave if he thinks it's right for him."

Same source also clarified the "head coach in waiting" rumor as "absolutely false - "Patterson has at least a decade left most likely."

We were told it ultimately comes down to whether or not Cumbie thinks Strong is going to be around for a while & does Texas have the players to run his system, or will it take 2 years to recruit them all?

I think the last paragraph is the legitimate concern for potential OC's being sought by UT. If they take the job and don't achieve 8 wins+ the first year then they will potentially be canned along with Strong. As I mentioned earlier it may be an easier decision if UT's QB position was more stable imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT