ADVERTISEMENT

Sumlin killing it in recruiting

Tired Horn

Oct 13, 2012
Maybe it's me but this article in the Houston Chronicle sure glosses over the dumpster fire Sumlin has going.

Sumlin's class: so far, so good
by Brent Zwernerman
COLLEGE STATION – Coach Kevin Sumlin's "yes sirs" this summer are running second at Texas A&M only to those hollered by corps of cadets members on Simpson Drill Field - and for Aggies, that's a promising thing.

With kickoff to a crucial season for Sumlin less than two months away, the fifth-year coach has kicked into overdrive on the recruiting front, with a class of 2017 that's added key components as the summer heat has intensified.

Based on a rush of recent verbal pledges, including by dual-threat quarterback Kellen Mond, Rivals.com ranks the Aggies' class of 2017 eighth nationally. Sumlin has for years posted "#YESSIR!" on his Twitter page as a literary wink when a player announces his intentions to play for the Aggies. Coaches are not allowed by NCAA rules to address specific recruits publicly.

Recruits not a problem

The Aggies to date own commitments from 17 players, including six Rivals four-star prospects. Such high-ranking pledges have helped cool the heat around Sumlin's program following the abrupt transfers of starting quarterbacks Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray last December.

College Sports
Senior quarterback Trevor Knight has transferred in from Oklahoma, where he once started before he was beaten out by Heisman Trophy candidate Baker Mayfield, and Sumlin has pegged Knight as the starter over junior Jake Hubenak.

For his part, Mond, who played at San Antonio's Reagan High before transferring to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., this past winter, is expected to contend for the starting gig upon his planned arrival in about a year. Mond (6-5, 200) posted on his Twitter page following his verbal pledge on June 27 that he believes A&M is "the right program to help make my dreams a reality."

The Aggies' six four-star pledges include defensive back Derrick Tucker of Manvel, offensive lineman Grayson Reed of Cypress Creek and linebacker Santino Marchiol, like Mond of IMG Academy.

"A&M has made a push for a couple of kids who are considered leaders in the (overall national) class, and others have wanted to follow suit," said Brian Perroni, a national recruiting analyst for 247Sports.com. "Guys like Kellen Mond and Santino Marchiol have dynamic personalities that draw others."

Now or never for Sumlin

Rivals rated the Aggies' class of 2016 as the nation's No. 17 haul, while A&M rated sixth in 2014 and 10th in 2015. A&M is entering its fifth season in the Southeastern Conference, which has won eight of the last 10 national championships (with half of those by Alabama). The closest the Aggies have come to winning a conference title was during their first season in the league.

In 2012, freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel won the Heisman Trophy, and A&M finished fifth nationally but third in the SEC West behind Alabama and LSU. A season later, the Aggies finished in the middle of the seven-team division in Manziel's final year, and for the past two seasons have finished in the lower half of the West.

Important year

Sumlin, 51, has four years remaining on his contract paying $5 million annually, and he likely needs a decent finish this season to solidify his return in 2017, especially after A&M needs to fill 100,000 seats in its rebuilt, half-billion dollar Kyle Field. That's one reason there's been a sense of urgency placed on recruiting, one observer reasoned, and why the Aggies have enjoyed a surge of pledges of late.

"The biggest reason is that everyone is involved, from Kevin Sumlin and the coordinators down, and they're much more active than they were last year," said Mark Passwaters, publisher of the Rivals fan website AggieYell.com. "They may need a good class to keep their jobs, and they're approaching it with that kind of seriousness."

The Aggies open their telling season on Sept. 3 against UCLA at Kyle Field, and A&M's new offensive coordinator, Noel Mazzone, arrived from the same position at UCLA in January. Sumlin said when he first called Bruins coach Jim Mora Jr. to inquire about Mazzone, Mora replied, "You know we play each other the first game, right?"

"It was a little bit of an awkward conversation," Sumlin said, smiling.

The UCLA contest also will mark the start of the second go-round for the A&M defense under coordinator John Chavis. Last season, the Aggies chopped their total defense in half, from 102nd in 2014 to 51st, and Sumlin has said this offseason the Aggies might possess a top 15 defense behind junior end Myles Garrett and one of the nation's top set of safeties in Armani Watts, Justin Evans and Donovan Wilson.

"We've got a chance to be really good on defense," Sumlin said.

Next up for A&M this offseason is SEC Media Days next week in Hoover, Ala., where Garrett is expected to be one of the top draws Tuesday, the second of four media days.

=)roll

4 of the 17 are 4 stars. The rest are below that.

That means the over/under on 4 star decommits in Dec is now locked in at 3.

With sooooo so many holes to fill, you'd think the guy could at least get a reach around.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Best part is when the article brags about other SEC $EC SEC teams successes all while ignoring ATMs failures.

I just read on Yahoo that ATM inked an Oregon transfer WR named Kirk Mitt. My first thought was why would ATM want a frog for a WR? And then I felt bad for Miss Piggy. But then I realized ATM is a hotbed for Miss Piggys! :D

The guys name is actually Kirk Merritt . . . but I still thought it was funny. ATM eats worms!

Wow, 6 out of 17 are 4'star rated?

And that is considered a good class?

Don't get me wrong, I love those 3'star kids that are ranked about 5.7 in the Rivals ranking system because they tend to have a chip on their shoulder. Still that is a pretty mediocre class. I don't know how big this class is going to be but if it isn't bigger than 25 this is not going to be a top 15 class.

Don't get me wrong I love Kellen Mond, his father Kevin is a friend of mine from our high school days. However the aggsy don't recruit well enough to beat the top tier of the SEC so that leaves them much like Arkansas. Now that Texas and Oklahoma are starting to recruit well again, the aggsy are going to be 5th or 6th choice in their own state for local athletes.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Wow, 6 out of 17 are 4'star rated?

And that is considered a good class?

Don't get me wrong, I love those 3'star kids that are ranked about 5.7 in the Rivals ranking system because they tend to have a chip on their shoulder. Still that is a pretty mediocre class. I don't know how big this class is going to be but if it isn't bigger than 25 this is not going to be a top 15 class.

Don't get me wrong I love Kellen Mond, his father Kevin is a friend of mine from our high school days. However the aggsy don't recruit well enough to beat the top tier of the SEC so that leaves them much like Arkansas. Now that Texas and Oklahoma are starting to recruit well again, the aggsy are going to be 5th or 6th choice in their own state for local athletes.

I don't see that happening. I could see Texas and OU outrecruiting them but they are not going to finish below 3 in the state. Take a look at the 2016 final rankings. 7. Texas; 16. OU; 17. TAMU; 20. TCU; 41. UH; 46. TTU; 48. Ok. St.; 55. BU

TAMU coming off 2 mediocre seasons and a lot of turmoil. Many of the other schools performing well or on the upswing but their results in recruiting don't mirror their success on the field. TAMU has inherent recruiting advantages that are not going away.

I don't see that happening. I could see Texas and OU outrecruiting them but they are not going to finish below 3 in the state. Take a look at the 2016 final rankings. 7. Texas; 16. OU; 17. TAMU; 20. TCU; 41. UH; 46. TTU; 48. Ok. St.; 55. BU

TAMU coming off 2 mediocre seasons and a lot of turmoil. Many of the other schools performing well or on the upswing but their results in recruiting don't mirror their success on the field. TAMU has inherent recruiting advantages that are not going away.
I agree, TAMU will (and if they do, every should be fired) never be out recruited by TT, OSU, or Houston regardless of how good they get. I would throw UT, OU and the likes into that field as well. Just showing up with UT, OU, or TAMU on your information gets so many kids just based on the publicity and ability to be see on a national level. Those 3 teams will always be on national TV virtually every week.

He's actually very negative about A&M about 95% of the time. He's a hack and about on par with Chip Brown.

Agree that he is a hack....I must have that kind of luck that has me only reading(as long as I can stand it) his stuff on that rare time ....the 5% ...when he is an aggy groupee....never saw him rag on them.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Texas will likely take less than 18 kids this cycle, but I bet the overall average star value is high.

Facilities, proximity to some of the best football talent in the country and playing in the best conference in CFB.

Texas A&M has had those 3 engrained advantages before and rarely finished higher than middle of the conference in that time. Texas A&M has been pulling in top 20 classes since the inception of the Big 12 but hardly has anything to show for it. In the last 20 years A&Ms average season record was 7-5, finished in the top 4 in the conference only 3 times, and won only one conference championship. A&M fans have let the myth of the SEC go to their heads... changing your conference does not change the identity of a program.

This is going to be a very small class for Texas. A&M should benefit some from that and will likely finish higher than Texas simply bc Texas can only take about 15 kids. I suspect Texas will have an overall higher star average though

Texas A&M has had those 3 engrained advantages before and rarely finished higher than middle of the conference in that time. Texas A&M has been pulling in top 20 classes since the inception of the Big 12 but hardly has anything to show for it. In the last 20 years A&Ms average season record was 7-5, finished in the top 4 in the conference only 3 times, and won only one conference championship. A&M fans have let the myth of the SEC go to their heads... changing your conference does not change the identity of a program.
The assertion in an earlier post was that TAMU would finish 5-6th in the state in recruiting. Didn't say anything about what they would do with the talent. However, in recent years the same could be said for Texas. Since 2010, recruiting classes have been just fine but it hasn't resulted in success on the field. In the case of both programs, several of the recruits are not with the teams. Transfers, dismissals etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT