ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Baseball

ryan_sublett

Mar 7, 2007
off to a 2-0 start with two wins agsinst Louisiana Lafayette. Ridgeway blew a 2-1 lead in the 9th today. Horns came back to score 3 in the bottom capped off by an Austin Todd 2 run walk off homer. Think this club could be really good this year.

Good day for Texas Athletics men’s and women’s basketball get W’s baseball on the board with a W as well.

Damn you Ryan I was about to post about it, but hella of a game! Baseball is back gentlemen and we have a solid pitching staff probably one of the best in the nation. We lost a bunch of guys last year and have 20 new players on the ball club but man these new guys are stepping up. I am excited about Texas baseball! @LonghornMM

Reactions: LonghornMM
Damn you Ryan I was about to post about it, but hella of a game! Baseball is back gentlemen and we have a solid pitching staff probably one of the best in the nation. We lost a bunch of guys last year and have 20 new players on the ball club but man these new guys are stepping up. I am excited about Texas baseball! @LonghornMM
Yeah Texas baseball is in a good spot. Coach Pierece is legit, and has things on the up swing. Texas football has momentum, and I still beleive Texas basketball will be a top program under Shaka. That team would be different with Andrew Jones, and now the entire department has some long term leadership with Del Conte as AD. Texas athletics may be a force again really soon.

I'm still not convinced that the bats will be so much appreciably better as to make the Horns a CWS contender this year, but as much as 2 games can be an indicator, the pitching and defense should at least allow the Horns to be a 40+ win team this season and potential Regional host contender for sure. And the additions of Hibbeler, Petrinsky, Ellis and Zubia should be net-plusses on the offensive side, even losing Kacy Clemens in the middle of the order. Just can't get over Ridgeway committing the Cardinal Sin of plunking the leadoff batter in the top of the 9th on a 1-2 count in a 1-run game. Ugh.

Reactions: Garcia1694
I hope Ridgeway is working on fielding bunts off the mound also......

I hope Ridgeway is working on fielding bunts off the mound also......
I know how you feel there, but Beau was literally throwing that ball right down the 1B line to Reynolds, and unless you locate the throw perfectly to the 1B's right (towards 2B, and within reach), its pretty much guaranteed to hit the runner, esp. if they're running on the inside of the 1B line as they're coached to do. Personally, I saw that one coming as it was happening.

It's college baseball and with great pitching hits can come hard to come by. Our starting pitching staff has only given 1 unearned run and the closer Beau has given up two in this game and that was on him. Defense wins in baseball as well but we had a guy that was 0-4 in today's game hit a 2 run knock off to win. They walked Clemens to get to him and he made them pay.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I think the offense will be at least a little better than last year. Which should at least give us an outside shot at Omaha.

I think the offense will be at least a little better than last year. Which should at least give us an outside shot at Omaha.
This more or less mirrrors my own comments above. I feel like this program is still at least a year away, maybe two, from being a perennial CWS contender like we've seen in glory years past, but I really do like the direction that Pierce is taking it from a profiling standpoint. Namely, in what appears to be his heightened emphasis on recruiting the necessary bats (i.e not just singles hitters), and not simply being an Augie-like slave to 'small ball' by fielding a team of under-sized and short-levered slap-and-run batters with middling (lilly-white?) athleticism, conditioned to generate a single run when the leadoff batter of a given inning reaches base and then it's all about bunting, base-stealing and sacrifice-flying a run home in an effort to win a 3-2 or 2-1 game. That's not a bad formula when you can trot out a scholarship-infused, Vanderbilt/Florida-caliber, MLB Top-100 prospect pitching staff. But it hasn't worked here in years, and it's not conducive to recruiting bats at all. That tide needs to turn, and it's beginning to show glimpses that it might be. Still a ways to go, though.

Last edited:
We have the arms, the bullpen and the defense.

It's our bats that will get us in the end.

Earmark this.

I hope I'm wrong but.......

We have the arms, the bullpen and the defense.

It's our bats that will get us in the end.

Earmark this.

I hope I'm wrong but.......
Doubt that anyone with a semi-clear lens would disagree with you there, esp. if this thread is any indication. I'm sure we're all hoping to be wrong on that front. I certainly am, but two close, offsensively-deficient wins at home over ULL hasn't moved the needle for me quite yet.

Cody Clemens will be better then Kacy calling it out now at Texas. Mason Hibbler is our best complete player in the lineup. We have speed on the base pass and will be aggressive on them which can change a game that I haven't seen in a while. We are currently 7-8 on stolen bases at the moment. Zac Zubia got his first hit as a longhorn and all he did was reach his bat out and half swung and got it into the outfield will be interesing going forward what Pierce will do with him. Louisiana beat us last year 8-1 on a weekday game. First game we shut them out 3-0 so it wasn't a close a game and our starting pitcher had 10 K. 2nd game bats came alive when we needed them and we didn't fall into that last year slump of always losing 1 run ball games.

Who’s on the mound today? It would be nice to start the year off with a sweep.

I know how you feel there, but Beau was literally throwing that ball right down the 1B line to Reynolds, and unless you locate the throw perfectly to the 1B's right (towards 2B, and within reach), its pretty much guaranteed to hit the runner, esp. if they're running on the inside of the 1B line as they're coached to do. Personally, I saw that one coming as it was happening.

There will be a little drop off from not having Clemens on first. He snagged a bunch of poor throws last year that either got an out or at least saved extra bases. I bet Kasey would have made both those plays yesterday that were errors and they ended up getting runs because of them.

Did lsu whip us

Welcome Zach Zubia two homeruns tonight we were up 5-0 in the 5th and pitching went to crap! Lsu put up 5 in the 5th then pitching again gave them 2 more 7-5 going into the 8th we leave two on base and then the 9th we go and pitching again! Base loaded needed 1 out this is not the first time tonight either and just like that 10-5 and we have been out hitting them! And that's the ball game! Pitching pitching pitching!

The last two losses have been embarrassing. Hopefully the Horns can win today and at least salvage the series somewhat. A sweep would be really bad.

Reactions: EyesOnTexas
Texas wins final game 11-1 and our pitching today from Henley was lights out. So ours bats came alive and Zubia is a beast and game changer. Kody Clemens is killing it as well and David Hamilton had a great game today on both sides. So I guess our hitting sucks scoring 11 today (you know who this is for). If our pitching staff gets it together and we starting hitting like this today and yesterday we are going to win tons of ball games.

Last edited:
Northwestern????? Come on what a great display of hitting !!! You know who this is for .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT