ADVERTISEMENT

The Olympics are here

I watched the ceremony when the Ukrainian women won a gold medal in saber the women had their hands over their heart and sang their national anthem. I was truly moved. Things like this are the Olympics at their best.

Everyone in the world knows about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. We have a large Ukrainian population here in Sacramento whenever I see them I try to tell them pray for Ukraine. There's a large Russian population here as well and they're opposed to the war as well. It makes me happy to know that Russia was barred from competing in the Olympics.

Reactions: freeper
I watched the ceremony when the Ukrainian women won a gold medal in saber the women had their hands over their heart and sang their national anthem. I was truly moved. Things like this are the Olympics at their best.

Everyone in the world knows about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. We have a large Ukrainian population here in Sacramento whenever I see them I try to tell them pray for Ukraine. There's a large Russian population here as well and they're opposed to the war as well. It makes me happy to know that Russia was barred from competing in the Olympics.

The war sucks. It’s stupid. And we provoked it.

Biden is an absolute freaking disaster on the World stage.

Well the USA made an inspired comeback in the 4th quarter and beat Serbia 95/91 played like the legend he is with 36 points including 9/14 from 3 point range. LeBron played like he was one of the all time greatest players which he is. Joel Embiid finally stepped up

Now it's on to the gold medal against France. Playing in Paris there's going to be a lot of emotion in this game. One thing is certain the world has caught up with us in hoops.

Well the USA made an inspired comeback in the 4th quarter and beat Serbia 95/91 played like the legend he is with 36 points including 9/14 from 3 point range. LeBron played like he was one of the all time greatest players which he is. Joel Embiid finally stepped up

Now it's on to the gold medal against France. Playing in Paris there's going to be a lot of emotion in this game. One thing is certain the world has caught up with us in hoops.
A bunch of future Hall of Fame basketball dudes almost got beat by 5 white guys from a war torn nation.

😔 😭 I don't care if he's white Nikola Jokic is a bad ass probably the best player in the world just ask LeBron and Steph.
And Jokic only scored 17. Curry had to dump in 36. We have gone from the 80s-90s NBA where we bang it out in the paint and hit the three to keep the D from collapsing, to playing Euro-trash ball where we jack 3 pointers all night and play no D.

And we DAMN NEAR got our asses beat.

And Jokic only scored 17. Curry had to dump in 36. We have gone from the 80s-90s NBA where we bang it out in the paint and hit the three to keep the D from collapsing, to playing Euro-trash ball where we jack 3 pointers all night and play no D.

And we DAMN NEAR got our asses beat.
We have been playing Serbia alot of late, I think 3 or 4 games in a row. Joker is no joke, but when it comes to euro ball they adapt to it which is not what old school cats want to see.

Great comeback by USA, but Serbia ran out of gas. Jokic didn't play well and was in foul trouble. Of course it would've been an upset, but a mild one. This isn't David and Goliath. Here's some recent Serbia basketball history:

During the 1990s war Yugoslavia was represented by Serbia and Montenegro
  • Yugoslavia 1996 OLY Silver
  • Yugoslavia 1998 FIBA gold
  • Yugoslavia 2002 FIBA gold (beat USA)
  • Serbia 2010 FIBA 4th place
  • Serbia 2014 FIBA silver (crushed by USA)
  • Serbia 2016 OLY Silver (lost 94-91 to USA in group stage, 96-66 in title game)
  • Serbia 2019 FIBA (beat USA 94-89 in 5th place game)
  • Serbia 2023 FIBA Silver (without Jokic)
USA doesn't send their best squads to FIBA. But to the rest of the world, FIBA is more prestigious than Olympic gold. Just like those same nations would rather win FIFA soccer than an Olympic soccer gold. All that said, Serbia is a nation of 6.7 million that punches above their weight class in basketball. I guess sort of like Dominican Republic in baseball or the Polynesian islands in football.

The fastest women in the 200 ran Track at Harvard, but has a masters from Texas in public health. Our longhorn came in 2nd from St Lucia behind her.

Indeed. Longhorn Julien Alfred win gold and silver in 100/200.

Longhorn Ryan Crouser with now 3 Olympic golds in the shot put. He broke the shot put WR first in 2021. The old WR record was held since 1990 by Aggie Randy Barnes. Aggies won Olympic shot put gold in 1968 (Randy Matson), 1992 (Mike Stulce) and 1996 (Barnes).

Indeed. Longhorn Julien Alfred win gold and silver in 100/200.

Longhorn Ryan Crouser with now 3 Olympic golds in the shot put. He broke the shot put WR first in 2021. The old WR record was held since 1990 by Aggie Randy Barnes. Aggies won Olympic shot put gold in 1968 (Randy Matson), 1992 (Mike Stulce) and 1996 (Barnes).
I didn't know she was a Longhorn. That was a mismatch - alot of hype around Jacarri from Dallas, but a total stomping - impressive!

Great comeback by USA, but Serbia ran out of gas. Jokic didn't play well and was in foul trouble. Of course it would've been an upset, but a mild one. This isn't David and Goliath. Here's some recent Serbia basketball history:

During the 1990s war Yugoslavia was represented by Serbia and Montenegro
  • Yugoslavia 1996 OLY Silver
  • Yugoslavia 1998 FIBA gold
  • Yugoslavia 2002 FIBA gold (beat USA)
  • Serbia 2010 FIBA 4th place
  • Serbia 2014 FIBA silver (crushed by USA)
  • Serbia 2016 OLY Silver (lost 94-91 to USA in group stage, 96-66 in title game)
  • Serbia 2019 FIBA (beat USA 94-89 in 5th place game)
  • Serbia 2023 FIBA Silver (without Jokic)
USA doesn't send their best squads to FIBA. But to the rest of the world, FIBA is more prestigious than Olympic gold. Just like those same nations would rather win FIFA soccer than an Olympic soccer gold. All that said, Serbia is a nation of 6.7 million that punches above their weight class in basketball. I guess sort of like Dominican Republic in baseball or the Polynesian islands in football.

Yugoslavia would wipe the floor with our squad...if they didn't kill each other first

Jokic
Doncic
Vucevic
Saric

That's a pretty salty starting 4....then add in all of their role players??? Over

A bunch of future Hall of Fame basketball dudes almost got beat by 5 white guys from a war torn nation.
Sometimes heart overcomes talent. In this case the talent woke up just in time. Steph and Durant were unreal in the last 7 mins.

I'm not sure I understand what your point is. But LeBron has said that Jokic is the best. Hell the 5 best players in the NBA are foreigners.

My point is that Bron is a self-absorbed douche bag and he can't wait for an opportunity to say he is the greatest of all time or how great of a player and human is. I can't believe people like that guy....he is decidedly insufferable.

My point is that Bron is a self-absorbed douche bag and he can't wait for an opportunity to say he is the greatest of all time or how great of a player and human is. I can't believe people like that guy....he is decidedly insufferable.
Like him or not LeBron is the best player of his generation. And by that I mean players born in the 80's. Only Steph can compare to him.

Now getting to the gold medal game. This is a home game for the French. And in a game this big the emotions are going to running hot. Victor Wembenyama is certain to be one of the greatest players of all time. 3 of the first 6 picks in the draft are from France.

To be honest European players are just as good as American players and they come in being more mature, more battle tested, and no AAU. I can't wait for this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT