ADVERTISEMENT

The world is right for one evening: Astros win

yes you are. In playoff baseball pitching is the only thing that matters.The other thing that becomes a problem is that bullpens wear down. Right now our bullpen is very,very good, but they are getting too much work. DK,and McCullers are just not enough. I was happy with Morton, but if he doesnt learn to get deep into games(hell McCullers for that matter) we will start losing lots of games from the 7th inning on.

Fact is that DK is the only guy we can depend on to get through the 7th inning. McCullers simply wastes too many pitches. When these guys are sitting on 90 pitches through 5 innings, trouble is coming. K's are for closers and special situations. Did you know that Juan Marischal once threw a no hitter without a single K? Did you know that Nolan Ryan was not much over a 500 pitcher?

Greg Maddux might have been the best RH pitcher ever.

Last edited:
Nolan had the record he had because he was playing on lousy teams, both the Astros and Rangers. No run support. Lost lots of 2-1, 3-1, 1-0 games.

Maddux was great, and definitely a HoF'er, but also got LOTS of huge, wide strike zones. I hated that guy....:mad:

Nolan had the record he had because he was playing on lousy teams, both the Astros and Rangers. No run support. Lost lots of 2-1, 3-1, 1-0 games.

Maddux was great, and definitely a HoF'er, but also got LOTS of huge, wide strike zones. I hated that guy....:mad:

I call bullshit on that. Many pitchers have lousey run support. Ryan was a 500 pitcher because he was a 500 pitcher. He played on many very good teams as well. Had Ryan been "all that" in the playoffs The Astros would have won a WS in 1980 and 1986

I also hated Maddux and agree he got a wide strike zone....but he was still maybe the best ever RH pitcher....gotta give the devil his due. Ryan simply threw too many pitches striking guys out.

Oldmanastro

Just so you will know.....I loved Ryan as a pitcher and was pissed to the highest extent of pisstivity when the Astros let him go........But I will never,ever forgive the part he played in having the Astros ejected from the National League. There was nothing right about that and I will not let it go.

Ahhhhh, now I understand the vitriol towards him.
Wasn't it more of a blackmailing from Selig for Jim Crane to purchase the team? Accept moving to the AL and I will get the owners to approve your purchase? It allowed the "Selig" family ownership of the Brewers to stay in the NL, and move the Astros ridiculously to the AL (where the Brewers came from) West.

I hate the Astros in the AL.

sure it was blackmail....but ryan was on Selig's(spit behind my back for even typing that cursed name) ass to get the Astros moved so the Rangers would have a close road opponent in the crappy AL west division.Everyone knew the Brewers were a better fit for that division (closer to the west coast teams than Houston) but he wsnt gonna put his team in the crappy AL...so make the Astros move or Crane doesnt get approved. That one goes to my grave with me.Ryan or Selig will never be their own worst enemy a long as I am alive.

Ahhhhh, now I understand the vitriol towards him.
Wasn't it more of a blackmailing from Selig for Jim Crane to purchase the team? Accept moving to the AL and I will get the owners to approve your purchase? It allowed the "Selig" family ownership of the Brewers to stay in the NL, and move the Astros ridiculously to the AL (where the Brewers came from) West.

I hate the Astros in the AL.

That is what I understood happened before Crane was given the approval to purchase the Astros. I actually don't mind the Astros in the AL West. The rivalry with Texas is a good thing. The move to the AL is no big deal, IMO.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
I'm 75, have watched most Astro teams from the beginning, and this is my favorite team they have ever had. We have our first owner who actually understands baseball, a manager with brains and experience, and a good mix of young talent and experienced pros. Y'all have your grudges, and I have mine: Drayton not giving Beltran a no-trade contract. I could have been enjoying Carlos all these years.

Actually it is a pretty decent baseball city--when they win. They have supported them pretty good through the JR Richard, Jose Cruz/Nolan Ryan/Ceasar Cedeno/Terry Puhl, and Killer B days. The city is pretty excited about the Correa/Altuve/Springer/Bregman/DK roster.
But yes, it was electric last night!

The other two Owners traded many a player that should have been kept for three "prospects" instead of trying to stack another good player by the first good player, and do that until you have a team of them. That's why there were named The Lastros. The Owners.

This new guy is different. He knows winning puts butts in the seats. I really didn't like the change to Baseball lite...but I am getting used to it.

Semper Fi,

TXSFRED

Oldmanastro

Just so you will know.....I loved Ryan as a pitcher and was pissed to the highest extent of pisstivity when the Astros let him go........But I will never,ever forgive the part he played in having the Astros ejected from the National League. There was nothing right about that and I will not let it go.

I forgot to mention, but Nolan would like to meet you out back, as I think he wants to give you a noogie--Robin Ventura style.

That is what I understood happened before Crane was given the approval to purchase the Astros. I actually don't mind the Astros in the AL West. The rivalry with Texas is a good thing. The move to the AL is no big deal, IMO.

No true Astro's fan could ever say any of that. ....and that "manufactured" rivalry with the Rangers is an abomination. American League baseball is completely inferior to fans that grew up watching the National league......and yes,yes,yes Crane was extorted into agreeing to the switch....still doesnt make it right.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
No true Astro's fan could ever say any of that. ....and that "manufactured" rivalry with the Rangers is an abomination. American League baseball is completely inferior to fans that grew up watching the National league......and yes,yes,yes Crane was extorted into agreeing to the switch....still doesnt make it right.

I'm a huge Astros fan. Grew up going to the games as a kid and still go to several games a year. I follow them very closely and watch every game on TV. It doesn't make me any less of a fan because I'm ok with them moving to the AL. I also like interleague play and replay. Both are good for the game.

The winning continued last night with a resounding 11-2 whomping of the Marlins. DK only had to go 5 innings, and were able to get some work in for Felize and Sipp, who are part, but not the big parts of the bullpen. Winning % of .700!!
Lets break out the brooms for todays 11am-ish starting time. McCullers takes the mound.

fair enough MM. I believe you but admit to being surprised. You are the first Astro fan I ever had a discussion with that felt that way.

Wow, what a roll these guys are on, even with 2 starting pitchers on the DL. Exciting to watch. Monday's 11 run inning down by 6 in the 8th was incredible, and almost became painful to watch for the Twins pitchers.

Team W L Pct GB
Houston 37 16 .698 -
LA Angels 27 28 .491 11
Texas 26 27 .491 11
Seattle 24 29 .453 13
Oakland 22 29 .431 14

21 games over .500? Are you kidding me?

Wow, what a roll these guys are on, even with 2 starting pitchers on the DL. Exciting to watch. Monday's 11 run inning down by 6 in the 8th was incredible, and almost became painful to watch for the Twins pitchers.

Team W L Pct GB
Houston 37 16 .698 -
LA Angels 27 28 .491 11
Texas 26 27 .491 11
Seattle 24 29 .453 13
Oakland 22 29 .431 14

21 games over .500? Are you kidding me?
And beat the Twins 17-6 today. They are really abusing that team.

Stros out scored them in the 3 game series 40-16. And we didn't even use DK or McCullers.

Since I'm bored with reading about "why" Stoops retired, and I don't watch superhero movies, and FBH isn't around to bitch at us about TH, I thought I'd give an update on the ASTRO-nomical season the 'Stros are having.

Right now, as we are about to hit the break and 1/2 way point of the season, we are sitting at 52-25 (27 games above .500!!), and lead the division by 13 games. This is all being done with a starting pitching staff that is out there to just hold on until DK and McCullers return to the rotation (McCullers returned this past Saturday and looked really good). DK expected back after the break.

The BP has been lights out and held their own as the hitters are keeping constant pressure on the opposing pitchers. I mean it never stops up and down the lineup.

We have the enviable position to give certain players and pitchers rest with this huge lead. Speaking of the bench, we have guys coming off the bench that would start on most teams with they way they are performing.

Could we use another front line pitcher? Probably, but I'm not willing to give up the farm or a starter (most teams are asking for Bregman) just yet.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
The Stros need to play better at home

The Astros are pretty damn good at home. Last night sucked, but it's really no different than losing 2-1. A loss is a loss. They come back and win the next two vs. the Yankees and that's a successful series win.

Took 2 of 3 from the yanks, not bad.

Oh, and 5 Astros just named to the All Star team this evening.

5 out of 7 total, with 4 of those games being in NY. It is not looking like anyone can hang with the Stros in the AL.

I haven't had reason to care about this in a long time, but, how is homefield for WS determined. Is it still All Star winner?

5 out of 7 total, with 4 of those games being in NY. It is not looking like anyone can hang with the Stros in the AL.

I haven't had reason to care about this in a long time, but, how is homefield for WS determined. Is it still All Star winner?

Home-field advantage in the World Series will now be determined by regular-season records of the two pennant winners.

The Astros have zero chance of making the WS pitching like they have. They won the game last night but they threw 190 pitches. If that keeps up they will be losing many 7-8 run leads in the 8th and 9th inning. The bull pen will be so worn down they will merely be throwing batting practice. No way they will be effective in the playoffs with starters not being able to get past the 5th inning.

I agree with oldhorn. The Astros need to address the pitching situation. Come playoff time, it's all about pitching.

ADVERTISEMENT