ADVERTISEMENT

This Just Got Real

actually for those poor girls it has been "real" for years. That said, reading through this I find nothing new. It is all still just conjecture.

I can't say I am surprised, based on some of the previous articles. My bet is Briles survives this.

I think Briles days are numbered. I can't imagine Baylor doing a half measure on this with the spotlight right on them. Keeping Briles will just fire up more scrutiny.

We already know how bad this systemic problem is, one internal review document that Baylor partnered with and is going to try and hide behind notwithstanding. The Baylor athletic dept, Baylor university and Waco PD covered up rapes and didn't help raped girls for the sake of football wins. The only questions are how much of a crap Baylor gives about it. Doesn't seem they really care about PR and I predict they'll think one sacrificial lamb should suffice. Art Briles isn't going anywhere. Old Baylor decision maker/fanboys are deathly afraid of becoming irrelevant again.

We already know how bad this systemic problem is, one internal review document that Baylor partnered with and is going to try and hide behind notwithstanding. The Baylor athletic dept, Baylor university and Waco PD covered up rapes and didn't help raped girls for the sake of football wins. The only questions are how much of a crap Baylor gives about it. Doesn't seem they really care about PR and I predict they'll think one sacrificial lamb should suffice. Art Briles isn't going anywhere. Old Baylor decision maker/fanboys are deathly afraid of becoming irrelevant again.
The President of the University is a pretty big "sacrificial lamb." If in fact there is nothing wrong, then why cave in to public pressure? Which leads me to believe something is in that report. I am a champion of Art Briles, and more importantly, letting the process play out and collect all the facts. But - if the report is true and Starr is being given the boot - we cannot keep Briles AND keep the report out of public view. If Briles is truly without blame, and Starr is the bad guy, release the report to remove any stain on Briles. If that is not the case, then, as much as it pains me to say it, he needs to go.

Seems that the reports are that he is possibly being reassigned and Briles is likely to stay. If so that's pretty pathetic. I thought for sure Briles would be gone. Reassigning Starr isn't even a sacrifice. I mean why would you want him part of your university in any faculty?

Starr is screwed, he doesn't win games.
The only way Briles gets canned is if enough Daddy's decide they are scared to send their daughters to Baylor. As a father, I understand the fear of letting a daughter go away to school, any school. Would I be willing to send her somewhere that is perceived to be high risk for sexual assualt, no way. How many others feel this way is key. People stop caring about football, when it involves their daughter.

Would be interesting to see if female freshman enrollment goes up or down this fall at Baylor.

The President of the University is a pretty big "sacrificial lamb." If in fact there is nothing wrong, then why cave in to public pressure? Which leads me to believe something is in that report. I am a champion of Art Briles, and more importantly, letting the process play out and collect all the facts. But - if the report is true and Starr is being given the boot - we cannot keep Briles AND keep the report out of public view. If Briles is truly without blame, and Starr is the bad guy, release the report to remove any stain on Briles. If that is not the case, then, as much as it pains me to say it, he needs to go.
Briles knew. Fact. That's already out. And he's going to stay. Because football is more important than girls getting raped at Baylor. One guy falling on his sword doesn't cut it in my book but it is what it is.

Reactions: Bass Elder
Publishing the report is going to be tricky. Obviously, Baylor would want it to portray them in the most favorable light, but if you leave out a single known event it makes the entire report look like a fraud. It could also cause more victims to come forward. I think they should likely release the report, but it could certainly come with a lot of risk. Tough decision.

I doubt they'll see enough dip in enrollment to offset the money brought in by Briles. I would think that with a possible investigation into the PD, and whatever title IX investigations/lawsuits go down that even more gory details will be released with Briles and Starr's name all over them. I don't know why they want to run that risk. There are other coaches out there.

Also it will be curious to see how the human playoff committee looks at Baylor if they are in the discussion. There won't be much public outcry they passed over.

Publishing the report is going to be tricky. Obviously, Baylor would want it to portray them in the most favorable light, but if you leave out a single known event it makes the entire report look like a fraud. It could also cause more victims to come forward. I think they should likely release the report, but it could certainly come with a lot of risk. Tough decision.
I agree with your point, but --- if Starr is getting canned, then there is no putting a pretty face on this - the BOR is admitting the report is horrific by firing the freaking President. And, contrary to what many on here think - to the extent the report is THAT bad, then we, as a Christian University, need to do the right thing and release the report, fire all that are culpable, and start doling out the cash to the extent that money damages can rectify the damages done. All firing Starr does is make Briles look worse. If Briles is to be exonerated, the report has to released. And if report casts him in a bad light, so be it.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Briles knew. Fact. That's already out. And he's going to stay. Because football is more important than girls getting raped at Baylor. One guy falling on his sword doesn't cut it in my book but it is what it is.
There are a ton more people who could handle being a university president than can win big in football at Baylor. Starr is easily replaced, no one will care. Briles would be nearly impossible to replace without a huge drop off. Supply and demand.

My guess on the contents of the report. Baylor had created an environment that discouraged women from reporting sexual assaults and did not have the proper systems in place to adequately investigate claims. If this is indeed in the report all those title IX lawsuits are going to get real interesting.

- to the extent the report is THAT bad, then we, as a Christian University, need to do the right thing...
Not holding my breath. This quote comes to mind for me:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” - Mahatma Gandhi

I agree with your point, but --- if Starr is getting canned, then there is no putting a pretty face on this - the BOR is admitting the report is horrific by firing the freaking President. And, contrary to what many on here think - to the extent the report is THAT bad, then we, as a Christian University, need to do the right thing and release the report, fire all that are culpable, and start doling out the cash to the extent that money damages can rectify the damages done. All firing Starr does is make Briles look worse. If Briles is to be exonerated, the report has to released. And if report casts him in a bad light, so be it.
Releasing the report would be the right thing to do from a moral perspective no doubt, but if it is worse than people are assuming - it would take a lot of courage to open the gates with wolves all around with lawsuits in hand.

Not holding my breath. This quote comes to mind for me:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” - Mahatma Gandhi
You never disappoint me Sholz.

You never disappoint me Sholz.
So what's "doing the right thing" in your mind as a "Christian University" (your words)? Keeping the same football staff that knew girls were being hurt and allowed girls to be raped while covering multiple instances of it up and harboring the rapists? That's your idea of doing the right thing? As Christians? Because football?

Baylor's strategy is "who can we fire and look like we care and still be good at football?"

Last edited:
So what's "doing the right thing" in your mind as a "Christian University" (your words)? Keeping the same football staff that knew girls were being hurt and allowed girls to be raped while covering multiple instances of it up and harboring the rapists? That's your idea of doing the right thing? As Christians? Because football?

Baylor's strategy is "who can we fire and look like we care and still be good at football?"

He said, "fire all that are culpable" what else you want from the guy?

He said, "fire all that are culpable" what else you want from the guy?
To stop the mealy mouth "well if the report is bad" and "if Briles really knew" stuff. Briles knew. It's fact. It's out there already. Stop defending the guy who harbored rapists because he's a good football coach while claiming Christianity out of the other side of your mouth. He deserves to be fired yesterday and sued by the rape victims to oblivion. Period. End of story. There's no honest defense of Art Briles here.

Was I not clear? Tell me what is not clear?

to the extent the report is THAT bad, then we, as a Christian University, need to do the right thing and release the report, fire all that are culpable, and start doling out the cash to the extent that money damages can rectify the damages done. All firing Starr does is make Briles look worse. If Briles is to be exonerated, the report has to released. And if report casts him in a bad light, so be it.

Take a victory lap Sholz - Baylor looks bad and Starr got fired.

"Fire all that are culpable".

Briles is culpable. You're just not admitting it. You're already planning your preemptive hiding behind the report Baylor partnered on producing. For obvious "Christian" reasons.

"Fire all that are culpable".

Briles is culpable. You're just not admitting it. You're already planning your preemptive hiding behind the report Baylor partnered on producing. For obvious "Christian" reasons.
You win Sholz.

Look, harbor and defend the rape enabler or not. Just don't claim to be Christian or claim you're doing the right thing if you do it. Just go full $ooner and embrace winning at all costs.

Definitely watching how this plays out.

On one hand, it's probably relatively easy to replace a university president at a place like Baylor (note, "relatively"... I'm not saying there isn't a lot of experience expected or work to be done as a university president), while replacing a head coach at a place like Baylor (where they don't have a long history of football success, but suddenly have really really high expectations going forward, where the program is clearly going to need some cleaning up, top-to-bottom, and where the program is going to be under extra scrutiny after all of this) would be far trickier, and the ramifications on..... blah blah blah

On the other hand, there are young women whose lives were ruined and the rest really shouldn't matter. Changes need to be made. And once they play out, if they do in fact do something like fire the university president to save the football coach, that throws a whole other layer of messed up priorities into the mix.

But clearly, we'll see what happens when it happens.

I don't mind telling you that I am delighted that sob, ***hole Starr has been fired :)

I wanted this more than Briles, in the case of AB more will be revealed. But trying to humiliate, to impeach a POTUS for lying about a bj and then print a tedious report about in detail......

Fast forward about 15-20 years later and we have this same man who is, at the very least did nothing to stop the number of rapes at his school. And it isn't just fb players. A Baylor coed who did report to the Waco police and took her case to Starr in person, was for all intents and purposes ignored.

You know on the surface being President at a school like a Baylor would be a great spot for the world's biggest prude. But here we have a man who does nothing about something far more serious. I come from a family of lawyers. Even my Republican family members during the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal said Starr has always been a mediocre lawyer. And yet we have this incompetent lawyer who all his life has been given positions with unlimited power, but this time it came back to bite him in the bu**. The national media is going to bury him.

Briles needs to go... and if he doesn step down on his own at this point, I think he will take half the staff withhim when he is fired..... including his son..... It is getting to the point that the best thing Briles can do is fallon the sword himself and turning over the keys to his son - who quite possibly knew about all of this as well....either way, there is no way to argue that Briles didnt know about any of this, or that he didnt help cover any of this up.... Baylor is on the clock and the country is watching.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT