ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Horny hire??

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
Seems a bit risky. Would have thought Herman would be a little bit smarter than that.

Hook Em

PS: Can't what til baseball gets started....

Looks like it's all risk and no reward to me. Even the best QC guy in the country is only going to impact your team so much, and the negative attention already outweighs that impact. That's assuming he is the best as well. Pretty dumb hire imo.

The guy defended his coach, I won't knock him for that.... I doubt he was privy to everything that occurred at BU and the head of the snake was cut off. Arizona hired Bennett, FAU hired Baby Briles, these are the guys that actually had a play in what occurred. While Horny had a public display of support for his HC on twitter, I'll take it as a lesson learned and move on. It doesn't mean he nor I condone what occurred within the BU football program. He was a grad assistant with Giles and Herman, there is a history between them. I'll stick with Herman knows what he is getting and let him do his job. That's my view on Horny at Texas.

Helping a buddy correct his career path after 9 season at BU and for showing support for his HC, I'd do the same if I thought my buddy could do what I needed of him in the capacity of Special Teams QC. To consider everyone involved with the BU program as tainted is ludicrous and narrow minded IMHO.

None of us know if they were in the dark or if "locker room talk", as Trump would call it... made the whole ordeal common knowledge with "every" coach on the staff.

He's an alumni and I hope he does well!

"A native of Goliad, Texas, Horny spent three seasons as a graduate assistant at Texas, where he worked with the Longhorns’ defensive backs. Texas posted a 31-7 record during his three seasons at the school, twice finished among the nation’s top 10 and won two bowl games. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Texas in 2000 and 2002, respectively."

Last edited:
The guy defended his coach, I won't knock him for that.... I doubt he was privy to everything that occurred at BU and the head of the snake was cut off. Arizona hired Bennett, FAU hired Baby Briles, these are the guys that actually had a play in what occurred. While Horny had a public display of support for his HC on twitter, I'll take it as a lesson learned and move on. It doesn't mean he nor I condone what occurred within the BU football program. He was a grad assistant with Giles and Herman there is a history between them. I'll stick with Herman knows what he is getting and let him do his job. That's my view on Horny at Texas.

If you want to defend him as a person with this rationale that's fine, but as far as the hire goes it's already negatively impacted the program more than a QC coach can possibly positively impact the program. You may argue that that negativity isn't justified, but that doesn't make it go away. Given the optics it was a dumb hire.

Any Horny guy who stayed out of trouble at Baylor should be applauded.

Jr High joke out of the way. I would give this guy the benefit of the doubt. QC guys don't tell HC's what to do. I would trust Herman's judgement until he proves otherwise.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
I simply don't care (skeletons exist in everyone's closet and his support of his HC/Boss is miniscule) I don't think Herman seems to give a shit either! He is helping a buddy out who he trusts and has faith in. Alignment and all that other funky shit. People bitch about everything. This hire won't do a damn thing to hurt the program.

Sucks that this twitter thing exist, non topic otherwise! All the heat is coming from his tweets.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
IMO: This is being over blown. Dude was way down on the totem pole at BU, he supported his boss like most of us would do in our everyday jobs if we feared we were going to get fired if we didn't.

First he wasn't supporting his boss. His boss was fired, and he had a new boss, and he was privy to the exact same information (if not more) that allowed us to conclude that Art Briles and Ken Starr and a lot of other people in that athletic department were scum.

Second the insignificance of his position is what makes it a stupid hire. It's simply not worth it. Nothing he brings to the table in a QC capacity is worth it for a program like Texas.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Like I said, it's Hermans gig and he is pulling a buddy out of the pig slough and giving him a fresh start, game on. IT won't even be talked about in a few days.

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
Like I said, it's Hermans gig and he is pulling a buddy out of the pig slough and giving him a fresh start, game on. IT won't even be talked about in a few days.
100% correct. In a week 99% of fans will forget this guy's name.
If Herman wins big, Horny will use it as a springboard to a new gig, and Herman will have a friend for life. People help their friends, that is all that happened here.

None of those #truthdontlie coverup MF'ers should ever be employed at Texas. Colossal screw up by Herman and the AD.

IMO: This is being over blown. Dude was way down on the totem pole at BU, he supported his boss like most of us would do in our everyday jobs if we feared we were going to get fired if we didn't.

Sorry to hear you have no integrity. I've walked out of a job over less.

None of those #truthdontlie coverup MF'ers should ever be employed at Texas. Colossal screw up by Herman and the AD.
I'm glad you posted this. This is a consistency check. Briles was vilified for NOT REPORTING TO THE POLICE. If that is a horrible offense, then this guy committed the same act (to the extent he knew). We all have convicted Briles without a lot of evidence. If he was canned because there was no way he couldn't have known what was going on (which HAS to be true) - then there's no way Horny couldn't have known. Its a small staff. And he doubled down with the tweets.

To echo the other posters - this is NOT worth it. If you have a problem with Briles, then you should have a problem with this hire.

Judgement on an internet board, take a look in the mirror my friend.

Just saying he was low enough on the totem pole that he probably sat in all the meetings and believed everything Briles told him. Fact is if this dude had any involvement in any part of the scandal we would know and he would have not been hired at UT.

Reactions: TexExSpur
This guy was 2 levels above the janitor. Briles was responsible for the program, this guy was and is a glorified GA. I doubt very seriously he was engaged in anything but his tiny area of control. He probably made more coffee and brought Briles lunch more times than he was asked his opinion on anything of importance. Why would he be pulled into something that could ruin the program?

I hope Herman fails miserably, but come on. Even a rival can see that this is just a guy with power helping an old friend with none.

Horny will have the same impact as you or I on Herman's success or failure as HC at Texas.

Judgement on an internet board, take a look in the mirror my friend.

Just saying he was low enough on the totem pole that he probably sat in all the meetings and believed everything Briles told him. Fact is if this dude had any involvement in any part of the scandal we would know and he would have not been hired at UT.
I don't buy this at all. Those coaches know EVERYTHING that is going on. That team is a small fraternity. First the story line was Briles created a culture of rape, openly recruiting thugs. Then the 4 recruits, WHO VOLUNTARILY CHOSE BRILES AND HIS CULTURE OVER ST. CHARLIE AND HIS CODE OF CONDUCT, were cut loose, and were welcomed with open arms in Austin, with the story line being - thank goodness they were rescued. Now we have a coach who signed on with Briles, and stuck out for 9 YEARS. The story line now appears he must have had little involvement. I call BS - if the standard is that Briles should've gone to the police, then this guy should have too. Keeping his mouth shut to save his job or because he believed Briles? Ha. Let's be consistent. And that goes to you Gooners defending Stoops and Mixon too.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
I don't buy this at all. Those coaches know EVERYTHING that is going on. That team is a small fraternity. First the story line was Briles created a culture of rape, openly recruiting thugs. Then the 4 recruits, WHO VOLUNTARILY CHOSE BRILES AND HIS CULTURE OVER ST. CHARLIE AND HIS CODE OF CONDUCT, were cut loose, and were welcomed with open arms in Austin, with the story line being - thank goodness they were rescued. Now we have a coach who signed on with Briles, and stuck out for 9 YEARS. The story line now appears he must have had little involvement. I call BS - if the standard is that Briles should've gone to the police, then this guy should have too. Keeping his mouth shut to save his job or because he believed Briles? Ha. Let's be consistent. And that goes to you Gooners defending Stoops and Mixon too.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS, it would have sunk long ago if it was common knowledge. Too many coaches come and go. It was all on a need to know basis and it sure sounds like it was kept between a select few at the very top and within a whisper of Briles. You're suggesting the athletic trainers know everything the staff is privy to, it's simply not true and never will be. I'm sure there is gossip (hell, I know there is), that happens everywhere, but little to zero factual happenings took place in front of or were spoke directly too those employed down the ladder.

Athletic trainers, Equipment Managers and S&C coaches are around the players a ton and sometimes they know more than the coaches because there are some things athletes would tell an athletic trainer or strength coach. The other thing is that you are in the building all day every day so you hear things. Horny might not have known everything but he probably had a pretty good idea of what was going on. This is a really bad hire. Very high risk, very low reward. If any news comes out of Baylor, then Herman will be asked about it in a press conference and given the drip, drip, drip out of Baylor I fully expect there to be news in the spring. There are still multiple title IX lawsuits pending.

I'm glad you posted this. This is a consistency check. Briles was vilified for NOT REPORTING TO THE POLICE. If that is a horrible offense, then this guy committed the same act (to the extent he knew). We all have convicted Briles without a lot of evidence. If he was canned because there was no way he couldn't have known what was going on (which HAS to be true) - then there's no way Horny couldn't have known. Its a small staff. And he doubled down with the tweets.

To echo the other posters - this is NOT worth it. If you have a problem with Briles, then you should have a problem with this hire.

Horny signed the support of CAB stuff in November when it was clear that there was a coverup of multiple assaults. Never once did this guy express any support for the victims. If we don't protest our university hiring this guy we huge hypocrites that are as bad as the Baylor fans we've railed against for months.

Reactions: diadevic
Athletic trainers, Equipment Managers and S&C coaches are around the players a ton and sometimes they know more than the coaches because there are some things athletes would tell an athletic trainer or strength coach. The other thing is that you are in the building all day every day so you hear things. Horny might not have known everything but he probably had a pretty good idea of what was going on. This is a really bad hire. Very high risk, very low reward. If any news comes out of Baylor, then Herman will be asked about it in a press conference and given the drip, drip, drip out of Baylor I fully expect there to be news in the spring. There are still multiple title IX lawsuits pending.
Gossip and rumors are one thing and they are typically just that. I was Privy to that type of info for several years in the late 90's as I was around the team, trainers, student trainers, etc. Close confines, especially on road trips. Lot's of BS gets tossed around.

I don't think it will go away that easily and Austin media sure won't mind bringing it up after a few losses. Ignoring what he knew or didn't know (we have no idea) his support for Briles was incredibly horrible judgment at best. You're just playing mental gymnastics trying to justify it. Just from a dollar and cents aspect Herman managed to hire the only QC coach in America that could have a negative impact on the program. That's the stupid part, imo. If Herman wants to go to bat for a friend, great, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS, it would have sunk long ago if it was common knowledge. Too many coaches come and go. It was all on a need to know basis and it sure sounds like it was kept between a select few at the very top and within a whisper of Briles. You're suggesting the athletic trainers know everything the staff is privy to, it's simply not true and never will be. I'm sure there is gossip (hell, I know there is), that happens everywhere, but little to zero factual happenings took place in front of or were spoke directly too those employed down the ladder.
With all due respect - this is the exact line of argument given by the Briles.

Gossip and rumors are one thing and they are typically just that. I was Privy to that type of info for several years in the late 90's as I was around the team, trainers, student trainers, etc. Close confines, especially on road trips. Lot's of BS gets tossed around.

I was a student trainer at UT. I was in the building from 1ish until 7ish every day during the season. I was at every practice from 2 a days through the bowl game. I would travel on road trips and on game day I was there for a good 8-10 hours. Trust me just being a fly on the wall you hear more than gossip and BS.

I was also a strength coach at the D2 level. My office was in the athletic training room. We knew as much if not more than the coaches about what was going on. We knew who partied with who, who was dating who, who was into drugs. This guy even though he was a QC coach knew stuff. There is no way he couldn't have known.

With all due respect - this is the exact line of argument given by the Briles.

Briles is paying for his dictation of the program. I would have had a problem with hiring Phil Bennett or Baby Briles whom actually had a play in his turning that big stadium on the river into a future mausoleum.

The only thing you can really hold against Horny was his vocal tweets in support of his HC and that is chincy. It's not getting much play other than fan board banter. The hiring of Bennett yesterday should have stirred up more than this little dust cloud, it hasn't.

Dead period is over, a commit will roll in soon and people won't even discuss this staffer.

I was a student trainer at UT. I was in the building from 1ish until 7ish every day during the season. I was at every practice from 2 a days through the bowl game. I would travel on road trips and on game day I was there for a good 8-10 hours. Trust me just being a fly on the wall you hear more than gossip and BS.

I was also a strength coach at the D2 level. My office was in the athletic training room. We knew as much if not more than the coaches about what was going on. We knew who partied with who, who was dating who, who was into drugs. This guy even though he was a QC coach knew stuff. There is no way he couldn't have known.
You and I are on the same page and I was privy to all the above as well. Much of what never goes public. What he "Knows" us an unknown and you're simply making an assumption (and we all know all too well what assumptions lead to) by suggesting he had all the details, etc. What he knows would likely make for an interesting conversation and I totally understand why some folks dislike the hire. It doesn't bother me so I 'll take on the role of being a hypocrite.

What evidence is out there that lead you to form such an opinion on Phil Bennett but not this guy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT