ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts & prayers for sooners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, your optimism is noted. We started 2 freshman and a soph vs OSU last year in our secondary for the first quarter because of suspensions. We spotted them 21 pts.. Both of the freshmen were 5* recruits. The soph was a 4*. The last place I want a freshman starting is QB, next secondary. Your offense better be hitting on all cylinders.
Admittedly I haven't entered football mode yet but I thought our defense was supposed to be a total rework this year. Aren't we trotting out mostly new faces on the d-line as well?

Yeah Ou has "dominated" the Bigxii.....tell us again how many National Championships all this "dominating" has got yall? Hell I think Boise St has "dominated" their conference also.....and they only have one less National Championship to show for it.

I Know....I know....conference championships are nice but it has to be just a little disappointing to know how "Dominant" ou has been......and have the exact same amount of National Championships that TEXAS has in this same time period. I could never get the "Big game Bob" moniker when his only Natty was his first year with a lot of "Big" losses in some BCS bowls.......(Boise st game.....USC the take it easy on us in the 3rd quarter game)
He won in his second year totally dominating a FSU team that was heavily favored. USC was a blowout but Florida and LSU were highly competitive NC games. Hey, somebody has to lose when you get down to the final. I think he deserved the big game monicker and he did fine against Texas, including handing them a couple of the most embarrassing losses I’ve ever seen laid on a big time program.

Admittedly I haven't entered football mode yet but I thought our defense was supposed to be a total rework this year. Aren't we trotting out mostly new faces on the d-line as well?

Negative sir, most were in the 2 deep rotation last year. The younger guys had a major part in the win vs UGA. We won't be starting any freshmen on defense. Take a look at Coburn, Cook, Foster, Graham, Bimage, Dele, Boyce, Green, etc... They were on the 2 deep last year. They were all highly rated and mainly a part of Herman's first #3 class. There are many upper classmen that will play before last year's #3 class in the 2 deep that will allow many to red-shirt.

These are the headwinds we are facing in recruiting. There are not many open positions on the 2 deep that a freshmen would be able to crack. Where we will get commits/flips during the season, will be the positions that appear to be opening due to an early exit to the NFL. Our team is going to be much improved over last year because of the depth except for ILB and RB. We lost 2 exceptional players in Floyd and Brown to medical conditions.

Last edited:
You should worry about your own team. Texas is the team with 3 big 12 championships in 22 years. That is one incredible stat.

Maffs.... if you are a believer in algebra and in particular linear regression, you would understand that a regression to the mean is in the making. If one were to plot the mean # of Texas wins per year on a scatter plot since the beginning of Texas football, one would observe that we have been on the lower side of our yearly mean win total for a decade or 3. So in the future, one would expect a raft of conference championships with the odd lot NT sprinkled in to be in the cards for Texas. The reverse could be said for OU.

Last edited:
You should worry about your own team. Texas is the team with 3 big 12 championships in 22 years. That is one incredible stat.

My house, my rules. Your team sucks, you have a few good backs and receivers, but you will likely be trotting out a retread QB or a young dude and either way Texas is going to dominate them. Your defense is still in full suckage mode. Even your coach thinks so.

Not at all. Roach is a starting DE and he is 100% better than Hager. We have Ta'Quon Graham who played a ton last year and we bring back Wilborn, Chisholm, Ojomo, and Coburn on the interior. We are actually going to be pretty darn deep next year. I didn't even mention Jacoby Jones, Marquez Bimage, and Daniel Carson.

Only real concern is linebacker depth. We have good starters in Shark, Adele Adeoye, and Ossai. After them however it gets a little thin. We have Marcus Tillman and Caleb Johnson.. Beyond them we are dealing with true freshmen.

I'm not worried about our defense one bit. we have several play makers that will destroy the competition.

He won in his second year totally dominating a FSU team that was heavily favored. USC was a blowout but Florida and LSU were highly competitive NC games. Hey, somebody has to lose when you get down to the final. I think he deserved the big game monicker and he did fine against Texas, including handing them a couple of the most embarrassing losses I’ve ever seen laid on a big time program.

Stoops was a good coach but was too loyal to his brothers. Lincoln is a great offensive mind but sucks on defense. Reminds me of Spurrier. Herman is a better overall coach.

Maybe you guys break our string of four consecutive CCs, but maybe you don't.

It's not that difficult to imagine Hurts going off in Riley's system, and I'm not convinced your defense will be able to stop us from scoring 35+ in the Cotton Bowl this October.

They aren't going to go dark, they are just going to get shut down by Texas. If you start one of your good passers against Texas they will kill him because our defense will make his life miserable with blitzes. If you start Hurts, do you actually think he is an elite passer? The guy has never been a good passer and all of a sudden he is going to be great now that he has spent 3 months with Riley?

Your choice is good passer that is sitting duck for our defense, or a bad passer that can actually move. Pick your poison we will be ready.

Ah, so wishful thinking. Sure, I mean, anything is possible but you'd be the one guy out there expecting that offense to be shut down by anybody. I bet you think tx is poised to win the conference 4 times in a row, and your qb is a legit heisman candidate who will be the all big 12 1st team qb too, eh? I think I've heard this before, the texas defense is too good for OU and they will be eaten alive. How often does that actually happen though? Tx offense has a bigger history of being shut down in this rivalry. It's been a long time since a Riley offense was shut down, but, sure, i guess if you blitz every play Riley will just have throw in the towel, because everyone knows you cant counter those!

Regarding Hurts- is he an elite passer? He's a good one, but not elite. However, he has been a better passer than ehlinger and you guys praise him so I think we'll be doing really well behind him and the God like OC he has calling his plays. For his career Hurts has a higher completion percentage, 12 more touchdowns to the same number of interceptions, and a higher qb rating. He is also a better and more accomplished runner and a huge factor being he has the better OC. Ou's only issue will be on Oline as they have little experience.

Who are these elite defensive kids you are talking about? Washington isn't elite. He is a solid prospect, but he isn't elite. Ransom was elite, Thompson is elite. Washington was a backup plan. And selling him on your program by telling him your entire defense sucks is going to backfire. Then again, I still find it funny he would say that.

Either he is really honest or a total BS artist. I think he is both. Oh and Washington is a total idiot for believing him. It took me 5 minutes to look up the DB recruiting results over the last 4 years and it's been pretty good. So I'm guessing if they suck it's because they aren't being developed. Any defensive player that wants to jump into that dumpster fire is not smart enough to make it at Texas to begin with.

Firstly i said "big time talent" which isnt always interchangeable with 'elite'. I dont know how well you follow OU recruiting so i'm not just going to name all the big ones over the last couple classes, but i will say that some of the biggest commits Riley has gotten on D have held offers from bama, ohio state, texas, georgia, michigan, usc etc. Whereas just a few years ago those guy wouldnt even talk to OU, they had to fight iowa state, arkansas state, and the likes of middle tennessee for defensive recruits. Now theyre getting commits from guys like Criddell, Washington, Manning, Watts, and Winfrey and taking kids out of texas who held texas offers, despite having a really terrible 2018 and 2017. Theyr'e in on Ransom and other elite kids as well, in fact most of the big time names on D are looking at Ou and putting them in their top 5 and being very relevant. You can think what you will about those guys but looking at their offer lists, they are held in high regard.

I dont care what methods Grinch uses, the kids like him and his style is resonating with them. You know how hard it is to get any decent player on defense to even pretend OU exists? And Riley is getting these guys on campus to see him and Grinch. Just imagine if the D actually shows improvement this year, it will be a hell of a lot easier to get commits. Man its' gonna suck for you to watch your team lose to a team without a defense, again. Oh well. And i cant blame any defensive players who want to be a part of the resurgence of that D. Much the same with how disgusting texas has been over the years, how bad and ugly they have been, but they still got players to buy into the rebuild. Dont act like that mentality cant exist in Norman and why that wouldnt appeal to hard working talented players who have something to prove.

I know its fun to try to decredit the value of an Ou commit on D, but washington was texas' backup plan? Do they often make offers to kids they only kinda want as a backup plan? And why did he hold offers from alabama, clemson, georgia, florida, lsu, ohio state etc? I guess he was their plan B too! It's a big stretch to look at his offer list and just be meh about it, shows that bias of yours. You do realize Watts held an offer from texas too right? I guess he was just another backup Plan B option as well? How about Winfrey? He picked OU over texas and ever major program in the country, i guess he's not smart enough to make it at texas despite his texas offer. Come on lets be real for a minute. Stoops wasnt getting these guys. Riley is though. He's an offensive genius and defensive kids are saying they want to go and play for him. you can bury your head in the sand if you want but things are changing.

Maffs.... if you are a believer in algebra and in particular linear regression, you would understand that a regression to the mean is in the making. If one were to plot the mean # of Texas wins per year on a scatter plot since the beginning of Texas football, one would observe that we have been on the lower side of our yearly mean win total for a decade or 3. So in the future, one would expect a raft of conference championships with the odd lot NT sprinkled in to be in the cards for Texas. The reverse could be said for OU.

You know what they say, there's lies, damn lies, and statistics. You can look at history and make educated guesses about the future but the past doesnt mean anything to the future. i.e. if you play roulette, and you hit black 6 times in a row, there's a really really really good chance it will hit red next time around. but the wheel doesnt care, it could hit black 99 times in a row just as easily. So they could just as easily take a step back. dont look too far ahead or you'll go and get charlie stronged.

Maybe you guys break our string of four consecutive CCs, but maybe you don't.

It's not that difficult to imagine Hurts going off in Riley's system, and I'm not convinced your defense will be able to stop us from scoring 35+ in the Cotton Bowl this October.

Hurts could easily go off. People forget how good of a play maker he is. He really takes care of the ball and rarely ever turns it over. Believe it or not he surpasses ehlinger in most major statistical categories as a qb and he has the best offensive mind probably in the world at his disposal.

Heisenberg....I am with you in that I dont get all the Hurts hate....The kid is a player. As far as his running.....I always thought he was more dangerous as a runner than as a passer....I could be wrong( strange thought....better to discount it) but I think where the OU offense might....only might....drop off is they lost two all world receivers in Lamb and Brown. In the end, Riley is a great offensive coach and will put out a great offense, and to think otherwise is naive at best and stupid at worst.

Doesnt alter the fact that OU sucks....and damned if you didnt make me laugh again with your brilliant comment about agreeing with experts.

by the way....I still think we beat OU twice this year.....seriously....

Heisenberg....I am with you in that I dont get all the Hurts hate....The kid is a player. As far as his running.....I always thought he was more dangerous as a runner than as a passer....I could be wrong( strange thought....better to discount it) but I think where the OU offense might....only might....drop off is they lost two all world receivers in Lamb and Brown. In the end, Riley is a great offensive coach and will put out a great offense, and to think otherwise is naive at best and stupid at worst.

Doesnt alter the fact that OU sucks....and damned if you didnt make me laugh again with your brilliant comment about agreeing with experts.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Oldhorn, but Lamb is back, and when you add 3 5 star WR commits I’m pretty sure at least one of them will show up big as a true freshman.

Ah, so wishful thinking. Sure, I mean, anything is possible but you'd be the one guy out there expecting that offense to be shut down by anybody. I bet you think tx is poised to win the conference 4 times in a row, and your qb is a legit heisman candidate who will be the all big 12 1st team qb too, eh? I think I've heard this before, the texas defense is too good for OU and they will be eaten alive. How often does that actually happen though? Tx offense has a bigger history of being shut down in this rivalry. It's been a long time since a Riley offense was shut down, but, sure, i guess if you blitz every play Riley will just have throw in the towel, because everyone knows you cant counter those!

Regarding Hurts- is he an elite passer? He's a good one, but not elite. However, he has been a better passer than ehlinger and you guys praise him so I think we'll be doing really well behind him and the God like OC he has calling his plays. For his career Hurts has a higher completion percentage, 12 more touchdowns to the same number of interceptions, and a higher qb rating. He is also a better and more accomplished runner and a huge factor being he has the better OC. Ou's only issue will be on Oline as they have little experience.

Firstly i said "big time talent" which isnt always interchangeable with 'elite'. I dont know how well you follow OU recruiting so i'm not just going to name all the big ones over the last couple classes, but i will say that some of the biggest commits Riley has gotten on D have held offers from bama, ohio state, texas, georgia, michigan, usc etc. Whereas just a few years ago those guy wouldnt even talk to OU, they had to fight iowa state, arkansas state, and the likes of middle tennessee for defensive recruits. Now theyre getting commits from guys like Criddell, Washington, Manning, Watts, and Winfrey and taking kids out of texas who held texas offers, despite having a really terrible 2018 and 2017. Theyr'e in on Ransom and other elite kids as well, in fact most of the big time names on D are looking at Ou and putting them in their top 5 and being very relevant. You can think what you will about those guys but looking at their offer lists, they are held in high regard.

I dont care what methods Grinch uses, the kids like him and his style is resonating with them. You know how hard it is to get any decent player on defense to even pretend OU exists? And Riley is getting these guys on campus to see him and Grinch. Just imagine if the D actually shows improvement this year, it will be a hell of a lot easier to get commits. Man its' gonna suck for you to watch your team lose to a team without a defense, again. Oh well. And i cant blame any defensive players who want to be a part of the resurgence of that D. Much the same with how disgusting texas has been over the years, how bad and ugly they have been, but they still got players to buy into the rebuild. Dont act like that mentality cant exist in Norman and why that wouldnt appeal to hard working talented players who have something to prove.

I know its fun to try to decredit the value of an Ou commit on D, but washington was texas' backup plan? Do they often make offers to kids they only kinda want as a backup plan? And why did he hold offers from alabama, clemson, georgia, florida, lsu, ohio state etc? I guess he was their plan B too! It's a big stretch to look at his offer list and just be meh about it, shows that bias of yours. You do realize Watts held an offer from texas too right? I guess he was just another backup Plan B option as well? How about Winfrey? He picked OU over texas and ever major program in the country, i guess he's not smart enough to make it at texas despite his texas offer. Come on lets be real for a minute. Stoops wasnt getting these guys. Riley is though. He's an offensive genius and defensive kids are saying they want to go and play for him. you can bury your head in the sand if you want but things are changing.

You know what they say, "If you can't dazzle them with your briliance, baffle them with your bullshit".

Congrats, I'm baffled.

Did you not read how your DC is convincing these good defensive kids to commit? He is basically throwing your defensive roster under a bus by telling them they have no talent. Washington committed because he believed he is going to walk in and start. You have lost two commitments already simply because other schools have pointed out what you just said to me. Your recruiting has been pretty good on defense.

However, evidence clearly shows your defense sucks. So that means either you can't develop the talent you have on campus or you suck at evaluating the talent. I don't think it's the latter. Maybe your new DC turns it around, but even if he does it's going to take time. Texas has had pretty stellar defensive recruiting and since I know your offense is going to take a step back next year because your QB isn't as good as the last two, it's clearly in Texas favor to hold them below last years numbers.

You really think Hurts is a better passer than Ehlinger? Congrats, you are the only one who things this. I'm also pretty sure you thought Bomar was better than Vince Young. If he was a good passer he never would have lost his job at Bama. And he lost it to a true freshmen. Jalen is a good runner, but he can't throw. I don't care about his statistics, I have eyes, I've watched him play. Couple that with the learning curve he is going to have when he gets on campus and I'm more than confident Texas is going to shut him down.

As far as your receivers go, they are only as good as the guy throwing to them. So you can have all the 5'star guys you want out there, Texas has lots of 5'star DBs to cover them. And the Texas DBs are well coached and know how to shut down receivers.

The biggest difference you will see next year is that the Texas offense is going to be much much better than they were last year. Ehlinger is now a junior and he has a ton of weapons just like you guys have. The Texas offense will average more than 40 pts a game next year and since you will still have a terrible defense, just like the last two years, I fully expect to do better than average against the gooners. In other words, Texas will put up 45 to 48 pts on your sorry asses while giving up 20 to 25 pts.

Oh, look at that, it seems you are about to get another de-commitment from one of those great defensive players you were talking about. And look at that, Texas is about to get a commitment from one.

He is probably more dangerous a runner because of how good he is at it. I would like to think that Riley knows a thing or two about qbs and can help him with the few deficiencies he does have. I have really no worries about him, he's as talented as every qb OU has had in the Stoops era who didnt win a heisman. At any rate, i wouldnt put anything past Riley. His ECU qb threw for 4700 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2014. Regarding the wrs as you know Lamb is still on the team and it would be not smart to sleep on the wr class they just raked in. I also seriously believe OU wins in october and if tx is capable of making it, also in december.

You know what they say, "If you can't dazzle them with your briliance, baffle them with your bullshit".

Congrats, I'm baffled.

Did you not read how your DC is convincing these good defensive kids to commit? He is basically throwing your defensive roster under a bus by telling them they have no talent. Washington committed because he believed he is going to walk in and start. You have lost two commitments already simply because other schools have pointed out what you just said to me. Your recruiting has been pretty good on defense.
I did and his message is resonating, they have some really good commits for the '20 class and they are in on many elite defensive players as well. Something that rarely happened under Stoops. There is a belief and expectation that there will be improvement and apparently recruits are buying it. [/QUOTE]

However, evidence clearly shows your defense sucks.
It didnt suck in the big 12 championship game.

So that means either you can't develop the talent you have on campus or you suck at evaluating the talent. I don't think it's the latter. Maybe your new DC turns it around, but even if he does it's going to take time. Texas has had pretty stellar defensive recruiting and since I know your offense is going to take a step back next year because your QB isn't as good as the last two, it's clearly in Texas favor to hold them below last years numbers.
Really what it comes down to is stoops couldnt recruit well, and he clearly lost control of the defense. but mostly just couldnt recruit well enough to win outside the big 12. They fought houston and va tech for talent, now they are battling texas, Georgia and alabama for talent. Sorry if you dont think better talent will help but it will! People always doubt the next qb who follows a star. Hard to believe how many haters and doubters Murray had this time last year on this very site.

You really think Hurts is a better passer than Ehlinger? Congrats, you are the only one who things this. I'm also pretty sure you thought Bomar was better than Vince Young. If he was a good passer he never would have lost his job at Bama. And he lost it to a true freshmen. Jalen is a good runner, but he can't throw. I don't care about his statistics, I have eyes, I've watched him play. Couple that with the learning curve he is going to have when he gets on campus and I'm more than confident Texas is going to shut him down.

I think Hurts has a higher completion percentage, more touchdowns and a higher passer rating. Also a much better runner. So if ehlinger is the better qb, he has to do better than Hurts to corroborate that claim. Good passers can lose their job to great passers. I'm pretty sure tua would have made ehlinger transfer too. And would that make him a bad passer? nope, just worse than the new guy. Looking forward to watching texas not shut him down. Better teams didnt shut him down in the past. One example is how well he played against Georgia, bama loses to them without him. He played very well against them, had a much better game than ehlinger did. not much but it's a small comparison to a like opponent.

As far as your receivers go, they are only as good as the guy throwing to them. So you can have all the 5'star guys you want out there, Texas has lots of 5'star DBs to cover them. And the Texas DBs are well coached and know how to shut down receivers.

Well he has a nice completion percentage, has a history of protecting the ball and making good decisions. At least he's been better than your boy. Looking forward to it!

The biggest difference you will see next year is that the Texas offense is going to be much much better than they were last year. Ehlinger is now a junior and he has a ton of weapons just like you guys have. The Texas offense will average more than 40 pts a game next year and since you will still have a terrible defense, just like the last two years, I fully expect to do better than average against the gooners. In other words, Texas will put up 45 to 48 pts on your sorry asses while giving up 20 to 25 pts.

And OU , with half a team, will still win the conference, again. All that D didnt help much for your championship hopes, but all that offense sure was good for OU. But if you truely believe that you'll see that score in the game in october, please bet me $200. I'm on that all day.

Oh, look at that, it seems you are about to get another de-commitment from one of those great defensive players you were talking about. And look at
that, Texas is about to get a commitment from one.

If you say so. I like that OU has went head to head and took a small handful of defensive recruits who held texas offers, along with the big boys. Tells me that recruits like what OU is selling. It's a lot better than having to settle with 3 stars who OU stole out of the clutches of the likes of colorado state and rice.[/QUOTE]

As MM said this is a Texas board. Texas posters don’t like any facts over here. Please leave these posters alone. They can’t handle the truth. Thin skins over here. Who cares carry on with the fantasies.

As MM said this is a Texas board. Texas posters don’t like any facts over here. Please leave these posters alone. They can’t handle the truth. Thin skins over here. Who cares carry on with the fantasies.

:rolleyes:

Keep it up Miss Moses. Go post your BS over at one of the 0U sites. You've got one foot out the door here already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT