ADVERTISEMENT

Time for UT to make a power play for Herman..

If Texas is to fire Strong soon, either this season or the next, Meyer and Saban won't be the new coach which means whomever they hire will have question marks because every coach not named Saban or Meyer do.

Reactions: oldhorn2
If Texas is to fire Strong soon, either this season or the next, Meyer and Saban won't be the new coach which means whomever they hire will have question marks because every coach not named Saban or Meyer do.

Meyer nor Saban will ever be the coach at Texas.

I'd take Dabo bring Venables over before TH if we're making coaching changes in our imagination.

Meyer nor Saban will ever be the coach at Texas.

I'd take Dabo bring Venables over before TH if we're making coaching changes in our imagination.

I think he would turn us down even in imagination land. I don't think we can poach many successful coaches from successful P5 programs. It's not like we are going to double his salary.

I think he would turn us down even in imagination land. I don't think we can poach many successful coaches from successful P5 programs. It's not like we are going to double his salary.
Right, but imagination land is where many of the guys are living.... on this board.

There hasn't been a coach at Texas in my lifetime that was fired in less than 4 years.

The shortest stint was McWilliams 87-91

He went:

7-5
4-7
5-6
10-2
5-6

Reactions: Cotton #12
Right, but imagination land is where many of the guys are living.... on this board.

200.gif

Last edited:
If Strong is gone, I'm going to say we go after:

1. Tom Herman
2. Dabo Sweeney
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. David Shaw
5. An NFL guy

For my money, I would roll the dice on Herman. To me he has the "IT" factor. I think he will be great no matter where he goes. But at Texas he might be Saban good.

Reactions: HornDrummer

1. Tom Herman
2. Dabo Sweeney
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. David Shaw
5. An NFL guy

For my money, I would roll the dice on Herman. To me he has the "IT" factor. I think he will be great no matter where he goes. But at Texas he might be Saban good.
Already made the argument why Herman ain't there..................yet.

I don't think 2 and 4 are realistic. Shaw would be at the top of my wish list for sure. I would take him over any of those guys, but we would have hired him 2 years ago if we had a shot.

1. Tom Herman
2. Dabo Sweeney
3. Kyle Whittingham
4. David Shaw
5. An NFL guy

1 Year and you can see the "IT: factor? Just a question. Sometimes those "IT" factors turn into overrated.

Last edited:
I don't think 2 and 4 are realistic. Shaw would be at the top of my wish list for sure. I would take him over any of those guys, but we would have hired him 2 years ago if we had a shot.
Yeah. I think when/if hehe leaves Stanford it will be for a NFL job.

1 Year and you can see the "IT: factor? Just a question. Sometimes those "IT" factors turn into overrated.

Thus I said roll the dice. Yea, he has the IT factor, but he is still a gamble. Other guys that came across as having the "IT" factor were guys like Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, and David Shaw.

I've been wrong a lot also. I was sure that Kevin Sumlin had the "IT" factor same with coach Boom.

No matter who we choose, it's going to be a gamble. Why I like Herman's chances at being successful at Texas.

1. Big 12 is a wide open offensive conference and he might have one of the most dynamic offenses. Outside of Bob Stoops, I can't think of a single defensive coach that was hugely successful in this conference.

2. Under Tom Herman, we will not need to worry about who our OC is and will he be successful. Tom should always be able to field a potent offense.

3. Herman knows Texas recruiting and already has good relationships with Texas high school coaches.

4. Getting Herman as our first choice would go far to make the Alumni feel better about the direction of the Program.

Herman issues:
What if they win out and make the playoff. He's not quitting until they get a chance to play. That would be in January. Can we afford to wait that long. so I'm pulling for a L'ville win on Nov 17th and squash that issue. but what do we do if that happens . Sacrifice the class?

Also, does he bring Major with him as OC? Major was awesome as a recruiter and worked his ass off for UT during the transition. However, he was marginal at best as an OC. Can we see something from UH this year that points to his touch or is it all Herman? Would the University be willing to take him back with the past issue with the butterball grad assistant.

Media: I live in Houston and I can't say Herman has handled the Media well. He has a Sabaneske quality to his demeanor. That works if you are Saban, but not so much if you are Bo Pelini. Can he go schmooze with Red McCombs etc. How will he handle the LHN?

It's possible major becomes HC at Houston if Herman leaves. Houston has history of promoting from within and usually offense. I've thought about the major thing though. That is an interesting issue. His first stint here wasn't successful but he didn't have a QB like Shane. I know there were off field issues as well but I'm not sure that deserves exile. If Herman wanted to bring him I'd support that.

Curious. Would the potential NCAA trouble at ole miss remove Hugh Freeze from anyone's list? If not he probably should be near the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT