ADVERTISEMENT

To everyone calling for Herman's Head...

MidwestLonghorn

Nov 25, 2016
I will preface by saying I have not posted in a LONG time. However, all of this anti-Herman talk has me fired up.

Anyone thinking Herman and his staff are not our guys...you are wrong. This man knows football, and has learned it from great coaches. He will be a great coach himself. I am a former football coach, and have dealt with issues like he is dealing with on an obviously much smaller scale. Many people calling for his head have probably never coached a down of football in their lives. These things take time. Remember, DKR was 6-4-1 in his first year as HFC.

Here is what I know:

- Herman and his staff inherited a team in which only 4 players have ever been a part of a winning season. Let that sink in for a second. Changing a losing culture is incredibly difficult. Again, if you've never coached, you don't understand how hard that is.
- This team went 5-7 last year...and it was a very bad 5-7 (I was at the KU game...the complete lack of engagement from the team on the sideline was humiliating and infuriating).)
- This team has basically had the perfect storm when it comes to injuries. Hell, we actually found a QB with moxie, only to have him injured. In reality, if he is properly assessed, we possibly win OU or OSU games because we don't put him back out there.
- We had a schedule with one Non-Con cupcake...and we thoroughly beat the daylights out of them.
- The OL injuries have decimated the entire team....they are more important than any injury to any skill player.
- Our DL has been lucky to be injury free, therefore our D has been great. How else do you think we are able to play odd fronts with only 2 second level defenders against 11 personnel with the threat of QB run (Essentially a potential 8 on 5) and still consistently stop the run?

Despite all of this, we have been in almost every game, and have played hard in each of them. I realize people are not in the mood to hear about moral victories, but many of you are very young and did not live through the late 80's and early 90's like I did. Those seasons were like these. Unfortunately, we have been here before. We have been here in different times in our history, and we will be here in the future. If you are a lifer like myself, you will go through a few of these. If you love a team for your life, you will go through 2-3 periods of despair, and 2-3 period of euphoria.

Right now, Herman is working on shifting the culture of this program. He is making it to one where we do not quit in football games. Even in this most recent game, the D took a chance at 17-7 and simply missed a tackle that would have been a turnover on downs. Instead, we sold out and it went for 6.

This team doesn't quit....that's important to note. Even teams under Mack quit (63-14 ring a bell?). We have great days ahead. Be patient and let this play out.

Again...DKR was 6-4-1 in his first year...sure glad we didn't quit on him after one year...

I get what you're trying to say.......

However, allow me to retort:

I can't remember a single game during my tenure when, upon the conclusion of a game, we went out onto the field and played giggles suck a$$ with the opposing team--- even after a win. Did you see our players after this game? All smiles and hugging tcu players, etc. That's sh!t. It's complete and total sh!t. That is the enemy. After the game is over if you want to hook up with your highschool buddy on the other team on sixth street and laugh and giggle-- FINE. (I wouldn't even do that, myself)

But this smiley face huggy bullsh!t after getting embarrassed on national TV is for children.

I get what you're trying to say.......

However, allow me to retort:

I can't remember a single game during my tenure when, upon the conclusion of a game, we went out onto the field and played giggles suck a$$ with the opposing team--- even after a win. Did you see our players after this game? All smiles and hugging tcu players, etc. That's sh!t. It's complete and total sh!t. That is the enemy. After the game is over if you want to hook up with your highschool buddy on the other team on sixth street and laugh and giggle-- FINE. (I wouldn't even do that, myself)

But this smiley face huggy bullsh!t after getting embarrassed on national TV is for children.

I would agree with that...that stuff didnt happen in my day. I was ready to punch a guy after a loss. Different time I guess...

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
You have some morons out there calling for it...ludicrous.

In two years we will be double digit wins and these guys will be crickets. Anyone with a brain knows we have sub standard OL, and that is the problem.
Same thing was said about strong. He's going to be the savior. Herman has done absolutely nothing right now to prove that he can coach this team into the future. It's a free board and people get to express their opinions here. If you don't like it, or you are too fragile to handle criticism for a guy that makes 5mil and staff that makes at least another 5 mil, then go pay money and get on pay board...oh wait.....it's not any better there. Suck it up buttercup...its gonna get worse.

Reactions: ekal48
We switched coaches from Piece of garbage strong to Herman. To a degree it stars over a gain with attrition, new systems. We should see improvement each year.

Saban and Stoops are the standard. No excuses, ask urban.

We switched coaches from Piece of garbage strong to Herman. To a degree it stars over a gain with attrition, new systems. We should see improvement each year.
Lol....it started with mack. I cannot remember the longhorns this irrelevant since the 90's. There will be a turnover this off season so is next year a rebuilding year?? We have no QB or offense on campus that can get us to 8 wins. U think that will change with the incoming freshman?

Our wins should incre
Saban and Stoops are the standard. No excuses, ask urban.
unfortunately after we Sh*t canned strong not many coaches want the texas job. You didn’t see swinney Meyer, harbaugh and any other elite coach in contention for the job. Stoops also did go 7-6 in year one. I know how his year 2 went.

To those saying “well we switched coaches so we have to start over” while that is true to a certain extent. I think you are drastically overstating that.

Examples
-Todd Orlando seems to be doing fine with the defensive players he inherited.

Miami finished 8-5 the year before mark Richt took over. Richt won 9 games year 1 and 10+ this year.

Jim Harbaugh took a 5-7 team and won 10 games

I could give other examples to... my point is that while it’s true that coaches have different types of players they like it doesn’t have to mean you wait around for success The “I don’t have the players i need” is not something you’d ever here a successful coach say and is an excuse. One no one should buy in to

To those saying “well we switched coaches so we have to start over” while that is true to a certain extent. I think you are drastically overstating that.

Examples

Miami finished 8-5 the year before mark Richt took over. Richt won 9 games year 1 and 10+ this year.

I could give other examples to... my point is that while it’s true that coaches have different types of players they like it doesn’t have to mean you wait around for success The “I don’t have the players i need” is not something you’d ever here a successful coach say and is an excuse. One no one should buy in to
Every kid on this offense was highly recruited. There is more talent on this team than most and more stars than what is on Houston's team. Apllewhite is doing fine there and we suck on offense. Beck is the problem and the online coach.

Examples

Not many coaches are on harbaughs level. Herman isn’t. Your comparison is weak. Each team had different weaknesses or more veteran players than others.

Our wins should incre

unfortunately after we Sh*t canned strong not many coaches want the texas job. You didn’t see swinney Meyer, harbaugh and any other elite coach in contention for the job. Stoops also did go 7-6 in year one. I know how his year 2 went.
That’s a little bit of revisionist history. Our interest in Herman was rumored and publicized going back to even 2015

Now it is fair to say that we botched the Mack firing and because of we missed out on guys and ended up with Strong. But make no mistake about it if Herman wasn’t the #1 canidate on Texas list he was pretty close. Let’s not rewrite history here.

Not many coaches are on harbaughs level. Herman isn’t. Your comparison is weak. Each team had different weaknesses or more veteran players than others.
If Herman isn’t on Harbaugh level then we should move on now because he isn’t the long term answer.

Herman is not as bad as he looks now and not as good as most thought before he came. At the moment he seems about average coach and outstanding recruiter. Perhaps he'll be better next year. Regardless he should get 3 years. But if year two looks like this it will be iffy.

Every kid on this offense was highly recruited. There is more talent on this team than most and more stars than what is on Houston's team. Apllewhite is doing fine there and we suck on offense. Beck is the problem and the online coach.
Right. Stright from Herman’s mouth a few weeks ago he stated he did not call plays at Houston that it was all Major. So Orlando and applewhite were big keys to Houston’s success. If Herman doesn’t want to call plays he needs an OC. Bottom line

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
The problem right now is Herman wants to be a Mack Brown, Nick Saban style coach where he runs the program, recruits, etc. for that to work though you have to have great coordinators guys that go on to be HCs or have been HCs. Saban has that Mack had that a lot. Herman had it at Houston. He doesn’t have it here. No one is knocking on Becks door anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT